• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial AMD's Ryzen Debut: Onwards to the HEDT Market or The Stumbling Hype Train

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Indeed. We were toying with how best to present this. There is some measure of hype train crashing, but there is also a lot to like. Overall, Ryzen is at its best, stellar, and at its worst, competitive with Intel's solutions. So, I tried to bring those two up in the final title.

Thanks =) Acorn sounds so much more natural though :p

So, it ended better than I expected. Except the usual "software needs tuning". Thats one of AMD ages lasting problem with software somehow needed to be fixed or tuned to actually work well with them. Bit irritating. Especially since sometimes software is never actually fixed to work really well with it.. and then you wait and wait. And buy Intel.

Also that single thread leaves something to be desired..

But on positive notes, its fast, its cheap. Only problem is that migrating to this would require me buying new mobo, new ram and new CPU.

Think I will rather move towards X99..

The sure blew the walls off the price point for multi core applications! Got to hand it to them for that at least.

No, that's not it. I do have Ryzen here, and it isn't bad, its' just not perfect, either.

oh Gawd, I wish. I've had Ryzen for nearly 48 hours, and I really feel this is BD 2.0, but this time, its actually exciting. Needs more frequency, seems a bit overpriced, but works amazingly well when you need all those cores. When you don't need the cores, the IPC is really close to intel, but Intel is just faster in raw clocks right now. Base speed is low, but so is power consumption, where BD had high power use.

Sigh....where to begin with all of this.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
oh Gawd, I wish. I've had Ryzen for nearly 48 hours, and I really feel this is BD 2.0, but this time, its actually exciting. Needs more frequency, seems a bit overpriced, but works amazingly well when you need all those cores. When you don't need the cores, the IPC is really close to intel, but Intel is just faster in raw clocks right now. Base speed is low, but so is power consumption, where BD had high power use.

W T actual F are you on about dude? In general >90% of the performance for <60% of the money, compared to the 6900K? This is such a very far cry from BD. The 1800x is probably overpriced when compared to the 1700, but in every comparision to equivalent Intel CPU's it is just game over. Seriously, this thing could have been $800 and it would still have been a win. The only thing AMD could have done better was if they had released an 4C/8T model, or even 4C/4T model with higher clocks and a lower price to catch the gaming crowd. I did have low hopes, but how anyone can see this as anything less than a win for everyone is beyond me. And do not say BD was not a failure, it was not bad actually but it was a failure. This even competes with Intel on power draw!

If anyone had hopes that this thing would be better than it is ... they deserve to be perpetually dissapointed in every fathomable way, and they have no businness even approximating a tangent to happiness and surprise, the greatest of affections.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
"This video shows raw benchmarks captured with the AMD Ryzen 1700 (3.9GHz) CPU versus the i7 7700K (5GHz) from Intel. GPU is GTX 1080. For more details on test systems and full review, please refer to my 1700 review."

Almost same fps, and GPU on AM4 board run 4~6*c cooler.

I was about to post that myself as I think the closeness of the FPS/smoothness of the play and thread utilisation is interesting. Definitely some places where some of the Ryzen threads are oddly sitting at 0%.

The temps could just be the different sensors reporting differently so we can't really read much into that. Total power use at the wall for the system (with identical PSUs) would be of more relevance I think.

System Name Vellinious
Processor i7 6950X
Motherboard ASUS X99-A II
Cooling Custom Liquid
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ 3200 14
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Storage 512 GB Samsung 950 Pro, 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black
Case Thermaltake Core X9, stacked
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000P2, EVGA SuperNova 750G2
Mouse Razer Naga Molten Edition
Keyboard TT eSports Challenger Ultimate
Benchmark Scores Timespy-1080 SLI-15972
W T actual F are you on about dude? In general >90% of the performance for <60% of the money, compared to the 6900K? This is such a very far cry from BD. The 1800x is probably overpriced when compared to the 1700, but in every comparision to equivalent Intel CPU's it is just game over. Seriously, this thing could have been $800 and it would still have been a win. The only thing AMD could have done better was if they had released an 4C/8T model, or even 4C/4T model with higher clocks and a lower price to catch the gaming crowd. I did have low hopes, but how anyone can see this as anything less than a win for everyone is beyond me. And do not say BD was not a failure, it was not bad actually but it was a failure. This even competes with Intel on power draw!

If anyone had hopes that this thing would be better than it is ... they deserve to be perpetually dissapointed in every fathomable way, and they have no businness even approximating a tangent to happiness and surprise, the greatest of affections.

I couldn't have said it better myself. ROFL...post o' the day

cadaveca

My name is Dave

You obviously don't have one yet. BTW, locally the 1700X, the chip I have, is $559. That's too much. I don't care what Intel offers in comparison, since for me, Intel offers more features and more performance. If it was $400, that'd be better, but really, this chip should sell for $369.

Add in cooler problems, memory issues, BIOS issues; all of which are on AMD and not the board makers; and yeah, Ryzen feels rushed and disappointing. That's after I have had a chance to play with one for a couple of days. Do keep in mind, I was not given the CPU to do a CPU review; I was given it so I could do board reviews. I'll do that, of course, but it is hard to be excited about a platform that carries so many issues right now, and issues that rely on AMD to fix.

So here, we have the opinion of someone who has a chip, and doesn't like it, and someone who doesn't have one, who does like it. Meh. :p

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
You obviously don't have one yet. BTW, locally the 1700X, the chip I have, is $559. That's too much. I don't care what Intel offers in comparison, since for me, Intel offers more features and more performance. If it was $400, that'd be better, but really, this chip should sell for $369.

Add in cooler problems, memory issues, BIOS issues; all of which are on AMD and not the board makers; and yeah, Ryzen feels rushed and disappointing. That's after I have had a chance to play with one for a couple of days. Do keep in mind, I was not given the CPU to do a CPU review; I was given it so I could do board reviews. I'll do that, of course, but it is hard to be excited about a platform that carries so many issues right now, and issues that rely on AMD to fix.

So here, we have the opinion of someone who has a chip, and doesn't like it, and someone who doesn't have one, who does like it. Meh. :p

All of which your stating as problems however affect every CPU release I remember in recent history. Cooler kits for when socket changes always sucks for the first month, multiple erata problems are common (and usually fixed with microcode - go have a look at X99 over time for example, jesus christ). SMT I can go, sure, whatever, likely a scheduling problem in the OS. The big kicker though is there does seem to be a memory dpc latency problem which really shouldn't be there on launch of a product. Beta bioses coming out may have fixed this, but from the huge variety of benchmark results we've seen, its not obviously fixed.

Processor Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE
Display(s) ASUS PG43UQ
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 7
Stop comparing to 6900k. On average, Ryzen for gaming is a about as fast an i5 Kaby Lake from what I see at a slightly higher price.

Yes, it can zip files faster and ray trace faster. Something I do once a year.

Best outcome of this Ryzen situation is to keep AMD in business and for Intel stops wasting half the die area for a useless GPU and puts CPU cores instead :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
All of which your stating as problems however affect every CPU release I remember in recent history. Cooler kits for when socket changes always sucks for the first month, multiple erata problems are common (and usually fixed with microcode - go have a look at X99 over time for example, jesus christ). SMT I can go, sure, whatever, likely a scheduling problem in the OS. The big kicker though is there does seem to be a memory dpc latency problem which really shouldn't be there on launch of a product. Beta bioses coming out may have fixed this, but from the huge variety of benchmark results we've seen, its not obviously fixed.
Didn't have such issues with Skylake or kabylake, or even with BD. BD was a much better launch for me, just there were performance issues that simply could not be fixed. Here with Ryzen, performance is good, but other issues abound.

That said, yes, potential is there for sure.

It's not just BIOS quality, it's how you have to flash BIOSes that is a pain. If you don't have a FAT32 USB stick and want a Ryzen system, you best add one to your shopping list, because you won't be able to flash BIOS without it. That's a minor issue, but makes it feel like 2001 all over again. Problem is, it's 2017...

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Why don't people understand that Ryzen just came out, the Majority of Developers are now working on optimizing Codes etc., People, Ryzen is NOT optimized for almost any game. Even the X370 Motherboards are not properly updated yet.

Let's also not forget, AMD designed ZEN all while Restructuring the company and continuing to fund its CPU division by modest Bulldozer enhancements. AMD Achieved the impossible. Major Congrat's to them. And to there CPU Team.
Intel CPU Gen has been in the market now for ages. They are all OPTIMIZED for most if not all AAA Games.

Ryzen has done amazing so far, and for a chip that is not optimized. Yet some want to throw it under the bus. Where the heck is the Logic in that?

They need X370 refinements, bios updates, optimized codes etc., Get over it people, Ryzen is a WIN WIN. Hands Down.

Last edited:
Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
The switch from 1 115x socket to another is not really comparable to an outright new platform

last time we saw that from intel was 775-1156 (or 1366-2011)

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
The way I see it the 7 series are designed to go head to head with Intel 6 and 8 core models.

In that respect its a win.

In terms of gaming performance clock for clock performance seems okay but not ground breaking if the 4 core 8 thread models come with much higher boost clocks then they could be competitive with Intel.

Although I sincerely doubt that they will be able to boost beyond or overclock beyond 4.5 with 1st generation Silicone.

As someone who does a bit of everything on my computer though Ryzen 7 looks like a good option.

Hopefully clevo make a laptop with a 1800x inside or what ever the current equivalent will be by the time I get round to making a purchase.

System Name Gamer
Processor Intel i9 9900K@4.9Ghz Offset voltage
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix Z390-F
Cooling Noctua NHD15S
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
Storage 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 512GB SSD Samsung 860evo/1TB nvme Samsung 970evo
Display(s) Asus MG278Q
Case CM Mastercase Pro 5
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 - 850Watt
Mouse Logitech Hyperion G402
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Firestrike Ultra: 11444 - Timespy: 18246
439 euros in my country for the R7 1700x and 549 for the 1800x. While I can get a 7700k for 371 euro at the same webshop.
Reading the gaming performance is soso and looking at the prices I feel a bit stumped tbh. What is amd thinking?

System Name Vellinious
Processor i7 6950X
Motherboard ASUS X99-A II
Cooling Custom Liquid
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ 3200 14
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Storage 512 GB Samsung 950 Pro, 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black
Case Thermaltake Core X9, stacked
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000P2, EVGA SuperNova 750G2
Mouse Razer Naga Molten Edition
Keyboard TT eSports Challenger Ultimate
Benchmark Scores Timespy-1080 SLI-15972
439 euros in my country for the R7 1700x and 549 for the 1800x. While I can get a 7700k for 371 euro at the same webshop.
Reading the gaming performance is soso and looking at the prices I feel a bit stumped tbh. What is amd thinking?

Because computers do things other than gaming......just a guess....

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Apparently its an excel god ... That alone is enough for me to flip over.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
LOL The reviews are from the two most Biased places on the net, Anantecch and Toms hardware, hahahaha wont believe a thing they post and anyone that does post from them is a fool!

I will wait for reviews from real testers thank you!

Man, get a fucking author in. The real title should have been:

AMD's Ryzen debut signals a workstation powerhouse but the hype train stopped one station short

"Despite AMD's blisteringly successful vault into the high end of multi core tasking, the gaming prowess of it's Ryzen chip may have fallen short of it's hype train destination. That however is not the fault of AMD, nor of it's new baby chip but indeed of the slabbering masses with hyper unreal expectations. The Ryzen hype train may have come in a little bit behind the Intel inter7 7700k but what Ryzen did do was come in at all 8 platforms at once. All aboard!"

Agreed

AMD didn't hype anything outside multi-core and the game comparisons to 7700k were in the form of Video gaming + Streaming.

If anyone is at fault really is TPU for falling victim to its own "Rumor, click bait" blitz.

System Name My Barbecue
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard MSI B350M Mortar
Cooling an AIGO 6 heat Pipes 120mm AGRB from Aliexpress...
Memory 32GB GSkill 3200MHZ Cl14
Video Card(s) MSI RX6600 MECH II
Storage Gigabyte M2 512GB PCIex + Samsung 850EVO 1TB + 2x HDD WD Black 500GB
Display(s) LG 24"
Case Some NOX Fancy Case with Glass and RGB...
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX Pro 650W Core Edition
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Mechanical NOX Krom
Software Windows 10 (still)
Another bench results from @Techspot

@Techspot full Review: http://www.techspot.com/review/1345-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x/

doxology

One thing to consider is that Linus at Linus Tech Tips said in their review that even with higher speed ram they couldn't get anything to run over 2666. He said they tried a bunch of kits with the same result. The system would fail to boot. One thing we do know is that in the past AMD CPU's have scaled better with faster memory. If they can get faster memory speeds with some bios updates or something we could see better results in certain situations.

Also it has been years since AMD has been a player in the CPU market. Everyone has fine tuned their apps and games for Intel and have been tweaking them for years and since Intel hasn't made any large leaps and changed their CPU's in any significant way no one has had to change much but instead just tweak them like crazy. AMD should get some boosts over time once we see code made for them.

It will be interesting to see if they will ship some really high clocked chips with some lower thread counts for gamers. At this point I have seen a lot of negative things said about Ryzen from the reviews for gaming against a 7700K well a 6900K gets beat pretty soundly as well by a 7700K in gaming because clockspeed is king.

Another thing to note is rumor is that Intel has been telling a lot of review sites to contact them before they write their Ryzen reviews. Seems kind of fishy as well so I can't wait to see individual users show their personal benchmarks and see how things play out.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Good, they are bad/ok overclockers, so I'm very interested in the 4/4 and 4/8 non-X models.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
There's definitely a memory problem somewhere. I've heard that theres a big DPC latency problem which may or may not be caused by bios's on boards coming out, so hopefully thats resolvable.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I have watched/read about 9 reviews now and the best anyone got from memory was 2966 MHz. best OC reported is 4.1 GHz all cores under water, 3.84 GHz on air.

I am so torn right now. Intel 7700K is the best option for me because I mostly game. But at the resolution and settings I play at, it looks like I will be hitting the GPU bottleneck before the CPU and it really isn't going to matter. I don't count the smoothness factor.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
One thing to consider is that Linus at Linus Tech Tips said in their review that even with higher speed ram they couldn't get anything to run over 2666. He said they tried a bunch of kits with the same result. The system would fail to boot. One thing we do know is that in the past AMD CPU's have scaled better with faster memory. If they can get faster memory speeds with some bios updates or something we could see better results in certain situations.

He's a newb. Don't trust someone who doesn't know how to get memory working to actually know what they are talking about when it comes to Ryzen. :p

3200 MHz C14, no problem:

cdawall here on TPU also posted 3600 MHz screens.

I have watched/read about 9 reviews now and the best anyone got from memory was 2966 MHz. best OC reported is 4.1 GHz all cores under water, 3.84 GHz on air.

I am so torn right now. Intel 7700K is the best option for me because I mostly game. But at the resolution and settings I play at, it looks like I will be hitting the GPU bottleneck before the CPU and it really isn't going to matter. I don't count the smoothness factor.

AMD gave samples to newbs. We all know why. ROFL :nutkick:

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Why don't people understand that Ryzen just came out, the Majority of Developers are now working on optimizing Codes etc., People, Ryzen is NOT optimized for almost any game. Even the X370 Motherboards are not properly updated yet.

Let's also not forget, AMD designed ZEN all while Restructuring the company and continuing to fund its CPU division by modest Bulldozer enhancements. AMD Achieved the impossible. Major Congrat's to them. And to there CPU Team.
Intel CPU Gen has been in the market now for ages. They are all OPTIMIZED for most if not all AAA Games.

Ryzen has done amazing so far, and for a chip that is not optimized. Yet some want to throw it under the bus. Where the heck is the Logic in that?

They need X370 refinements, bios updates, optimized codes etc., Get over it people, Ryzen is a WIN WIN. Hands Down.

My Good twin to the rescue:).

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
So people are crying and raging because 1800X cannot beat 7700k in Gaming? what ever happen to people two years ago expecting Zen to be on par with Haswell or Slower and calling it a massive win? so we know know is as fast as Skylake IPC Clock for Clock... we also knew and expected 8 cores 16 Threads to not clock with high frequencies, so why all the hate while the 7700k that has 500MHZ more of Frequency and beating the 1800X in Gaming? i think for the price of current R7 lineup is well worth it and competes extremely well even in gaming with Intel's 8 Cores 16 Threads CPU's.

I for once will not be upgrading to Ryzen because my i5 6500 is more than enough for Gaming, besides games do not use more than 6 Threads and this will be the norm in the following two years. The real hype train in gaming in my opinion are the R3 and R5, but.... the frequency that AMD announced does seem quite lacking, In any case 8 Cores 16 Threads CPU's are aimed more at productivity than Gaming. I think R7 Lineup is quite Good since i always expected Zen IPC would match Haswell, and i knew very well that 8 Cores 16 Threads would have lower Clocks to keep TDP in Check. It was expected! The good news is that it forced Intel to lower their prices, which was a most needed thing.

AMD basically did what everyone wanted, which is to improve their IPC by 53% (Their Claim) and to sell it for much cheaper to intel similar Offerings, and people still Rage and Cry.

If AMD can do R5 with 6/8 Cores without SMT i'm Gold for Ryzen. As gamer i got little interest 16 threads + extra price, besides games will still be using 4-6 cores in the next two years. But AMD really really need to raise the Frequency for R3/R5 or it would look very underperforming in gaming compared to what Intel has to offer at this moment, let alone what ever comes up from Intel. even if Intel CPUs cost more people will choose them just because is a tad bit faster. It is what it is.

In any case, no wonder why TPU has not been getting Rewiew hardware from AMD... looking at TPU past reviews lol.

doxology

He's a newb. Don't trust someone who doesn't know how to get memory working to actually know what they are talking about when it comes to Ryzen. :p

3200 MHz C14, no problem:

cdawall here on TPU also posted 3600 MHz screens.

AMD gave samples to newbs. We all know why. ROFL :nutkick:

It is good to see that higher memory frequencies. He didn't say what kits he used or tried, he said the boards failed to post in every case when he went past 2666.

A lot of the other reviews I have seen have been similar with memory clocked at 2666. Not sure if it is the boards they got or what. Linus used an Asus ROG board I believe.

Higher memory clocks I think should help in benchmarks.

One thing i have noticed from those that have gotten all three chips is that most of those sites got at least 100hz more from the 1700 than they could from the 1700x which seems kind of interesting.

Be interesting to see how it plays out once we have a platform, games, and apps all optimized with a mature platform I expect things could look much better than they do today on launch day.