• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Android X86 Club

System Name Cheapskate Maximus
Processor Xeon W3680 @ 3.99Ghz [133x30] [1.375v]
Motherboard HP Z400 Rev 2
Cooling Alpenfohn Brocken v1
Memory 3 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Nitro+
Storage 240GB WD SSD, 6 x 2TB HDD
Display(s) 27" iiyama XB2783HSU AMVA+
Case AeroCool
Power Supply HP 600w Bronze (Delta)
Keyboard Gots keys
Software W10 x64
I have 8.1 running in Vbox so I can play certain games with the xbox controller. There's also several apps that are nice to use in big screen. Not prepared to dual boot my Windows install with Oreo running alongisde yet but Vbox is doing tis job just fine for me currently.

Just waiting on Android Q-x86-64 now as really want to try some of the new features it has, hope the Android x86 project releases it soon so I don't have to use the Android SDK to run it.

Gacsantos

Hello, I am trying to install android x86 on my netbook, but I have encountered problems. Already tried versions 4.4.4, 5.1, 6.0, 8.1, 9, even on the Live CD was unsuccessful, gets stuck on a black screen or in some versions a command line appears on the left side of the screen.
After a lot of research when I choose VESA mode in live cd grub I can run android almost in all versions mentioned and this is due to the "nomodeset" present.
With this I can edit grub after installation and thus run Android, but even in older versions the system is very slow.
I would like ideas on how to proceed, I've read in other forums people with problems similar to the atom processor, but found no solutions.
I am trying to install Android system as single OS.
One more detail that I forgot to mention is that the screen of this netbook is broken, so I am using a samsung p2270hn monitor connected to VGA output.

The features of my netbook are:
Processor: Intel Atom N450 1.66Ghz
Bus: 667Mhz
Display Size: 10 '' LED WSVGA 1024x600
802.11 b / g wireless connection
RAM Memory: 2GB
DDR2 Hard disk (HD): 320GB
Video Card: Intel Integrated
Video Sound Card: Integrated - High Definition.

sorry english it was translated on google.

I appreciate any help. thanks.

Hello, I am trying to install android x86 on my netbook, but I have encountered problems.
Ok, let's see what we can do.
The features of my netbook are:
Processor: Intel Atom N450 1.66Ghz
Bus: 667Mhz
Display Size: 10 '' LED WSVGA 1024x600
802.11 b / g wireless connection
RAM Memory: 2GB
DDR2 Hard disk (HD): 320GB
Video Card: Intel Integrated
Video Sound Card: Integrated - High Definition.
These specs seem standard.

So let's look at the hard drive setup. Is it configured MBR or GPT? If GPT, it needs to be MBR for best compatibility. Also, the partition needs to be formatted EXT2, EXT3 or EXT4 for best compatibility. NTFS is possible but introduces compatibility issues in some cases. The partition also needs to be set to "Active/Boot".

Did you use the setup builtin partitioning tool?

Gacsantos

Ok, let's see what we can do.

These specs seem standard.

So let's look at the hard drive setup. Is it configured MBR or GPT? If GPT, it needs to be MBR for best compatibility. Also, the partition needs to be formatted EXT2, EXT3 or EXT4 for best compatibility. NTFS is possible but introduces compatibility issues in some cases. The partition also needs to be set to "Active/Boot".

Did you use the setup builtin partitioning tool?

Is set to MBR. On the partitions already tried ntfs and ext4, but in any case the same problem is true, when on Live cd where the pen drive partition is fat32, then
I do not believe the partition is the problem. Live cd and hard disk only boot when added to grub "nomodeset", have the same behavior.
I'm thinking it's something related to the recognition of video drives.

Right and you did say you were trying the LiveCD thing. Have you gone into the device BIOS and made sure the GPU is being allocated enough ram(if that setting is available)? Android does have a minimum VRAM requirement.

ITicDigger

Run TikTok on android x86 - it's generally possible?
I tried different random versions of TikTok from the oldest to the newest, I ran them on different x86 androids from 4.4 to 9, on VirtualBox and on real hardware, but it DOES NOT WORK. Either it just immediately closes with the message "an error occurred in the TokTok application" or freezes for 5-15 seconds with a message about network problems (although there are none) and then closes. What can be done? I really need TikTok on the desktop. Not a word about this on the Internet. Is there at least one of the living people in this world who has seen TikTok launch successfully on Android x86 or should I stop my endless searches for the right version of the ticktok and the right version of the OS?

Run TikTok on android x86 - it's generally possible?
Should be? I don't use it myself, but there's no reason it shouldn't.
What can be done?
It could just be that the devs for TikTok have not included X86 code in the app.

Just remembered something. Have you checked to make sure App Compatibility is set to Enable native bridge? This allows apps compiled for ARM CPU's to run on Android X86.

Last edited:
System Name Cheapskate Maximus
Processor Xeon W3680 @ 3.99Ghz [133x30] [1.375v]
Motherboard HP Z400 Rev 2
Cooling Alpenfohn Brocken v1
Memory 3 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Nitro+
Storage 240GB WD SSD, 6 x 2TB HDD
Display(s) 27" iiyama XB2783HSU AMVA+
Case AeroCool
Power Supply HP 600w Bronze (Delta)
Keyboard Gots keys
Software W10 x64
A new release candidate for Android X86 9 is out today;

Just tested it a little while ago. Seems like it's shaping up greatly!

Nice, I hadn't noticed RC2 was out, I've been running RC1 for the last couple months and enjoying it. Will download and upgrade my VM to it later on today if i get the time.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
I didn't know this was a thing. Android on x86? Is it possible to dual boot with either linux or Windows? I have two tablets I wouldn't mind testing this software out on. Both are HP's. HP Elite x2 1012 and the HP Spectre x2 12.

Best,

Liquid Cool

I didn't know this was a thing. Android on x86? Is it possible to dual boot with either linux or Windows?
You bet, it's rather easy to set up actually.
I have two tablets I wouldn't mind testing this software out on.
As long as you have direct access to the storage and can partition same as well boot from USB, you can at least try it out. Every AndroidX86 ISO since 4.4.4 can boot Live Drive.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
Live USB's like on linux distro's? Ok, I'd like to try one out. Anywhere you can point me to download an ISO. To be truthful, I'm no expert with Android, but I do like it. I actually used it a bit on my ASUS Tinker Board.

Does Rufus work with Android?

Oh...and thanks for the help. Appreciative...:)

Best,

Liquid Cool

Oh....Live USB's like on linux distro's? Ok, I'd like to try one out.
Those tablet's are older, so 4.4.4R5 would be the best to try first;
Google Play is still supported and will be for the foreseeable future. However, Google is not supplying fixes or security patches for the OS itself so a firewall is required. AFWall+ Is my firewall of choice, but there are many very good ones.

For a newer version you have two main choices;
8.1R3
and
CM14.1R3

The later is my current personal fav. However, driver support for older hardware is limited, so you may have to go with something older if you encounter problems.
Does Rufus work with Android?
Sure does, perfectly. Just make sure to download the ISO files, not the RPM's. The RPM's are for use from within Linux.

L4RRYderLURCH

Hi, I installed Android-x86 9.0-r2 a few days ago on my Medion Akoya E1318T netbook. Performancewise i was verry pleased and all apps I was trying worked perfectly. However there is one issue I keep running into; some time after turning the system on (5-15min) the powerbutton stops working. Its as if I didnt press it at all. Directly after boot and for about 5min+ it works and then it stops working so there is no other way of turning off the system then a power shutdown. Is this a problem unique to my system oder does anyone else experience a similar issue?

First off,
Welcome to TPU!

Hi, I installed Android-x86 9.0-r2 a few days ago on my Medion Akoya E1318T netbook. Performancewise i was verry pleased and all apps I was trying worked perfectly. However there is one issue I keep running into; some time after turning the system on (5-15min) the powerbutton stops working. Its as if I didnt press it at all. Directly after boot and for about 5min+ it works and then it stops working so there is no other way of turning off the system then a power shutdown. Is this a problem unique to my system oder does anyone else experience a similar issue?
I've experienced a similar issue with a previous version. The problem is a slight incompatibility with system hibernation/sleep functionality. It's best to disable it when plugged in by telling the system to never sleep while plugged in(it's an option in "Developer Mode"). Do you know how to access Dev mode? I can walk you through it if not.

L4RRYderLURCH

First off,
Welcome to TPU!

I've experienced a similar issue with a previous version. The problem is a slight incompatibility with system hibernation/sleep functionality. It's best to disable it when plugged in by telling the system to never sleep while plugged in(it's an option in "Developer Mode"). Do you know how to access Dev mode? I can walk you through it if not.
Thanks! I activated the option in developer mode, I hope this fixes the problem.

System Name cjb76-B365M-H
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core
Motherboard Gigabyte B365M H
Cooling Generic Intel
Memory 16341MB (9474MB used)
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 @ 3600x1121 pixels via The X.Org Foundation
Storage ATA CT500MX500SSD1, ATA ST2000DM001-1E61, ATA KINGSTON SA400S3, 1TB TOSHIBA External USB 3.0
Case CoolerMaster
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Core3D [Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series] (rev 01)
Power Supply CoolerMaster RS 700 - PCAA-E3
Mouse Roccat
Keyboard SteelSeries MERC
Can I establish an internet connection over Ethernet on Androidx86?

I searched for help on the topic but it seems the vast majority are using Virtual Box to install/use Androidx86.
I flashed androidx86 to usb and installed it onto a 140gb ext4 SSD partition. (android-studio-ide-192.6308749-linux)
Everything appears to working well only my desktop machine doesn't have a wi-fi card installed so Androidx86 doesn't recognize my ethernet connection.
I understand that Android isn't designed to connect via Ethernet but can anyone offer a work around or some advice?

Thank you from a Linux Newble.

Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia

Can I establish an internet connection over Ethernet on Androidx86?
Yes. Any LAN adapter compatible with Linux is generally compatible with AndroidX86. Android is fully compatible with any network connection that Linux is, by design.

BTW, welcome to TPU!

System Name cjb76-B365M-H
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core
Motherboard Gigabyte B365M H
Cooling Generic Intel
Memory 16341MB (9474MB used)
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 @ 3600x1121 pixels via The X.Org Foundation
Storage ATA CT500MX500SSD1, ATA ST2000DM001-1E61, ATA KINGSTON SA400S3, 1TB TOSHIBA External USB 3.0
Case CoolerMaster
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Core3D [Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series] (rev 01)
Power Supply CoolerMaster RS 700 - PCAA-E3
Mouse Roccat
Keyboard SteelSeries MERC
That's a relief. Unfortunately I'm away from my machine atm and still have a couple of questions but wanted to say hello and thanks for the reply.

I'll be back!

L4RRYderLURCH

Thanks! I activated the option in developer mode, I hope this fixes the problem.
Well, sadly this didn't fix the issue. When I tested it initially the power button worked just fine, but now I have the same problem of it not responding after some time again.

Medion Akoya E1318T netbook
Well, sadly this didn't fix the issue. When I tested it initially the power button worked just fine, but now I have the same problem of it not responding after some time again.
Ok, this is my bad, I should have checked the specs. That is an AMD based device. Unfortunately, AndroidX86 has not been fully tested with AMD mobile chipsets and has a few glitches and bugs. When you stated "netbook" I thought something Intel Atom based, a chipset that is very well supported.