• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anime Nation

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Yeah Ed is Ed, I never wondered about the gender thing:
View attachment 226576
I'd rather rewatch the OG series, I don't need this Netflix crap.
Btw.
1640205299276.png

1640205328816.png

1640205361101.png

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
So who is excited for the part 2 of the final season for AOT? I've just finished episode 1 of part 2 and sh*t gone crazy already lol.
The animation of the titans look pretty cool.

System Name Unreal Machine IV
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Cooling Noctua U9S
Memory Team UD4-4000 @4000 CL18 1:1
Video Card(s) 5600XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston SSD 240GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Blue SN 550 Nvme 1TB X3
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Case Old school Termalthake xaser III black with lots of noctua 80mm fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 hero SE
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
Also, who thinks we're in for a shitty season?

Also, who thinks we're in for a shitty season?

If we are, good. It means I can actually catchup, lol.

----------

1641943690697.png

The new Isekai for fall 2021. Unlike most recent Isekai, this one was 100% "in-world" with no out-of-character moments or 4th wall breaking.

The "Isekai" element barely exists. The main character remembers he's a loser from Earth. Given a chance to live a new life on this new world, he decides that its a chance to "live correctly". Things go awry as soon as his baby-eyes open up to see his new "parents".

1641943827878.png

His "Mother" is the mummy in the middle named Mary. His "Father" is the Skeleton on the left named "Blood".

"Gus", on the right, is reluctant to adopt the human boy, but recognizes that it was Mary + Blood's hopes / dreams to have a kid together, and this boy is their best chance for it. As such, Gus reluctantly calls himself the grandfather and helps out raising the boy.

Mary + Blood name their (clearly adopted) child "Will", and train the boy with all of the skills they know. Mary is some kind of cleric, so she teaches the boy piety towards the gods / pantheon, as well as mundane skills like cooking or cleaning. Blood is an expert swordsman, who teaches the boy hunting, battle, combat, dueling, and workout regiments. Gus teaches the boy magic, and the importance of money.

Will is largely happy that he has kind and loving parents. However, whenever he asks them how this situation came to be, they always respond with "we'll tell you when you're older". Clearly something dark and dramatic has happened, and the reveal was pretty good, so I'd rather not spoil it.

But when the appropriate, and dramatic reveals take place... the revelation of facts causes Will to receive divine protection from a goddess, and allows Will to adventure off as the "Faraway Paladin".

-------

The pacing is quite slow. The day-to-day life and interactions between Will and his foster-parents is the bulk of the story. There's not a lot of fight scenes either. This story plays somewhere between adventure and iyashikei / healing genre, with a huge focus on the relationships between the characters. There's just enough fighting that its probably disqualified from the iyashikei genre, but its slower pace and focus on relationship drama really reminds me of other iyashikei shows.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
If we are, good. It means I can actually catchup, lol.

----------

View attachment 232066

The new Isekai for fall 2021. Unlike most recent Isekai, this one was 100% "in-world" with no out-of-character moments or 4th wall breaking.

The "Isekai" element barely exists. The main character remembers he's a loser from Earth. Given a chance to live a new life on this new world, he decides that its a chance to "live correctly". Things go awry as soon as his baby-eyes open up to see his new "parents".

The pacing is quite slow. The day-to-day life and interactions between Will and his foster-parents is the bulk of the story. There's not a lot of fight scenes either. This story plays somewhere between adventure and iyashikei / healing genre, with a huge focus on the relationships between the characters.
Theres a few fights, and they're high quality

Theres a few fights, and they're high quality

While that's true... don't watch this anime if you want fights, lol.

Like, there was a fight scene or two in "Spice and Wolf", but its clearly not what the show was about! (That being said, you're right that the few fights in "The Faraway Paladin" were appropriate and good quality)

-----

EDIT: Most other Isekai, like "So I'm a Spider, So What?", "Reincarnated as a Slime", Re:Zero, Konosuba, Sword Art Online, Overlord, had 2x or 3x as many fight scenes as "The Faraway Paladin" in the same timeframe. The Faraway Paladin focuses more on a decompressed storytelling style in comparison to its peers. This isn't a bad thing at all, its a really good thing. It means that "The Faraway Paladin" really stands out compared to its peers. Even if you've seen a lot of Isekai, you probably haven't seen an Isekai like this one.

EDIT2: And I'd argue that the first major fight scene was as much of an argument / philosophical debate as it was a fight.

The God of undeath / undead has clearly made a pact with Blood, Mary, and Gus, and is calling in the favor. Now that Will is well trained, Will is also given the option to join the legion of undeath. Will nominally defeats the God's echo, but this is more representative of Will accepting life and choosing the will of the reincarnation goddess instead. Living forever in a state of undeath to pursue worldly desires is not the life Will wants to live anymore.

Will shall live the life he has, accept his death when it is appropriate and move on, as per the will of the goddess of reincarnation. Its basically what his parents have taught him, while paradoxically being a hypocrite the entire time since these undead-parents can only interact with Will through the acceptance of the God of undead.

Each parent has a paradox as well. Blood's #1 virtue is muscles and exercise, except he literally has a form with no muscles anymore. Mary's #1 virtue is piety, but she's betrayed her gods by accepting undeath. Gus's #1 virtue is money and investments, but being trapped in this area means his money is no longer "working" and is wastefully sitting around useless.

Its actually a beautiful story of the paradoxes of parenting.

Last edited:
System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
Only anime i'm excited for this year at the moment:
AOT finale
Ultraman season 2
Jojo Part 6(I know it came out in December last year) complete
Demon slayer
Dragon ball super movie
Gundam series?

Only anime i'm excited for this year at the moment:
AOT finale
Ultraman season 2
Jojo Part 6(I know it came out in December last year) complete
Demon slayer
Dragon ball super movie
Gundam series?

My list: Spy x Family, Overlord Season 4, Dragon Ball Super: Heroes, Devil Is a Part Timer (S2).

But I've also pretty flexible, and will try to check out the B-tier anime with less hype each season. I'm usually pleasantly surprised by many B-tier anime (Mayou, Sleepy Princess, Dragon goes House Hunting, Rokka and the 6 braves, etc. etc.). You never really know what you're gonna find. B-tier in terms of popularity, not necessarily in production value. (Sleepy Princess / Dragon goes House Hunting had better animation quality than expected).

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
"In the Land of Leadale" is the new Isekai for this season (Winter 2022). With only 2 episodes, its tough for me to review it yet.

If I were only given one sentence to describe it... its "Overlord, except moe". The main character has been Isekai'd / trapped in a video game as a max-level 100 avatar of a high-elf sorceress for... plot reasons. She has also been transported 200-years into the future (much like how in Overlord, Ains has been transported an unspecified number of years into the future). Instead of being a disgusting monster (like in Overlord), she's moe / cute archetype. She's traveling around the world, trying to figure out the changes in the 200-years of lore that has passed since she's last played the game.

The overall presentation is closer to "I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level", and I think from ~2 episodes I can say that Leadale is doing a better job at it already. But its not quite as good as Overlord (or any of the other top-tier Isekais that have come out).

Especially since I've just watched "The Faraway Paladin" (which was spectacular and far superior to this one), its hard to not compare the better Isekai against Leadale.

I'd give Leadale maybe 7/10? Its not terrible so far, and its not 100% derivative of the genre. It might scratch your itch if you're a moe / slice of life fan.

----------------

I'd expect that Bofuri will remain the best "moe + Isekai" show however, and would have to give Bofuri a recommend over Leadale if you're looking at things with this particular combination of genres. But Leadale would be the 2nd best show in this combo that I've seen (and there's been a _LOT_ of moe+Isekai shows recently...)

If you're more into the overall "Trapped in a video game at max level", I'd have to give Overlord the #1 pick, maybe Log Horizon as the #2 pick. Leadale might scratch #3 in this very specific category.

For Isekai in general, "Faraway Paladin" is fresh, recent, and just better.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
"In the Land of Leadale" is the new Isekai for this season (Winter 2022). With only 2 episodes, its tough for me to review it yet.

If I were only given one sentence to describe it... its "Overlord, except moe". The main character has been Isekai'd / trapped in a video game as a max-level 100 avatar of a high-elf sorceress for... plot reasons. She has also been transported 200-years into the future (much like how in Overlord, Ains has been transported an unspecified number of years into the future). Instead of being a disgusting monster (like in Overlord), she's moe / cute archetype. She's traveling around the world, trying to figure out the changes in the 200-years of lore that has passed since she's last played the game.

The overall presentation is closer to "I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level", and I think from ~2 episodes I can say that Leadale is doing a better job at it already. But its not quite as good as Overlord (or any of the other top-tier Isekais that have come out).

Especially since I've just watched "The Faraway Paladin" (which was spectacular and far superior to this one), its hard to not compare the better Isekai against Leadale.

I'd give Leadale maybe 7/10? Its not terrible so far, and its not 100% derivative of the genre. It might scratch your itch if you're a moe / slice of life fan.

----------------

I'd expect that Bofuri will remain the best "moe + Isekai" show however, and would have to give Bofuri a recommend over Leadale if you're looking at things with this particular combination of genres. But Leadale would be the 2nd best show in this combo that I've seen (and there's been a _LOT_ of moe+Isekai shows recently...)

If you're more into the overall "Trapped in a video game at max level", I'd have to give Overlord the #1 pick, maybe Log Horizon as the #2 pick. Leadale might scratch #3 in this very specific category.

For Isekai in general, "Faraway Paladin" is fresh, recent, and just better.
thanks for the detailed reviews!! I have some new shows to check out :) I did enjoy the first SAO, but the followups kind of fell short for me...

thanks for the detailed reviews!! I have some new shows to check out :) I did enjoy the first SAO, but the followups kind of fell short for me...

I think a big benefit of the "Moe" genre is that its largely kid-friendly. Most Moe shows I'm comfortable recommending to my 10-year old niece (and she enjoys them as well). SAO, Konosuba, and other shows like that have a "sex slant" that make it difficult to recommend to children. "Moe" has this focus on "cuteness" and less on "sexy", making it a kid-friendly genre (Bofuri, and Little Witch Academia both are "Moe" shows I've enjoyed and recommended to my niece).

That being said, there's always exceptions. I'd describe Kobayashi's Dragon Maid as largely Moe, but definitely heavy on the sex-jokes. I'd also try to watch the whole series before making a decision like that, it only takes one or two uncomfortable jokes to suddenly make a whole show unfriendly towards kids. EDIT: Perhaps a better example is Sora no Woto / Sound in the Sky, where the show was moe-classic and 90% kid friendly. Then suddenly one episode where all the girl characters get drunk in their undergarments that might be uncomfortable for some (or maybe not. But I can see it being a borderline case for sure).

That being said, sometimes some adult humor / sex jokes are great. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, SAO, Konosuba all have some good moments and jokes... I just wouldn't show them to kids ya know?

Last edited:
System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
I've been watching the dubbed of "the duke of death and his maid". I like it.
I'm in dubbed mode right now.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
How are people liking the attack on titan episodes?

i havent watched yet, worried they'll be shite - and doing a rewatch of black trigger (my god so much recap every episode, but at least the premise/story was somewhat unique)

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
How are people liking the attack on titan episodes?
If you liked the first half of the final season, so far so good, imo.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Watching Lupin part 6 now, sadly the voice actor for Jigen - Kiyoshi Kobayashi - has retired at the age of 89 (all the respect goes to him for doing amazing work for all these years) and only voiced him in episode 0. For the next 4 episodes I was like "something is wrong about this voice", guess now I know what.

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
I think I was expecting more comedy, rather than drama, when I watched the first two episodes.

I might have to revisit the anime when I'm in a better mood for drama.
Me too but I'm a sucker for a good drama/romance with some comedy.
since I've been on A dubb kick, also was taken culinary classes this restaurant from another world hit right up my interest right now.

System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
I am so far enjoying the episodes for AOT, I'm practically up to date with Shaman King now too.
I need to catch up with Demon Slayers though.
Damn I sound like a proper "normie" right now with these anime lol.

5 episodes in now. Cayna is growing on me as a character. Instead of your typical moe-blob, she's a flawed and immature character who has been suddenly thrust into a position of great power. This is a good thing and works very well with the comedy of the show (in contrast, someone like "Maple" from "Bofuri" might be a little bit of a Mary Sue). I'd say Maple from Bofuri was closer to what I was expecting of this show, but Cayna does seem to have more personality and a slight streak of "evil" in her. "Sally" from Bofuri is closer to how Cayna acts, though Cayna is more of a funny/comedic jerk / asshole kinda character.

So this really is somewhere in between Overlord and (of all things), Bofuri. I think I like this overall, and will most likely finish the season and keep watching Leadale each week.

This isn't quite comedy gold, but each episode has a good joke that puts a smile on my face. I'll bump up the rating to 7.5/10 or so, it certainly feels like an above average anime, though certainly not the best of its genre.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
5 episodes in now. Cayna is growing on me as a character. Instead of your typical moe-blob, she's a flawed and immature character who has been suddenly thrust into a position of great power. This is a good thing and works very well with the comedy of the show (in contrast, someone like "Maple" from "Bofuri" might be a little bit of a Mary Sue). I'd say Maple from Bofuri was closer to what I was expecting of this show, but Cayna does seem to have more personality and a slight streak of "evil" in her. "Sally" from Bofuri is closer to how Cayna acts, though Cayna is more of a funny/comedic jerk / asshole kinda character.

So this really is somewhere in between Overlord and (of all things), Bofuri. I think I like this overall, and will most likely finish the season and keep watching Leadale each week.

This isn't quite comedy gold, but each episode has a good joke that puts a smile on my face. I'll bump up the rating to 7.5/10 or so, it certainly feels like an above average anime, though certainly not the best of its genre.

How do you know which animes to try and which not to try? There are literally thousands to pick from, I find it overwhelming and end up giving up on all of it.

Code Geass and ReZero are my favorites though before I gave up searching lol

How do you know which animes to try and which not to try? There are literally thousands to pick from, I find it overwhelming and end up giving up on all of it.

I don't. Lol. That's part of the fun.

I watch the first episode. If its average, or even a little bit below average, I give it another episode or two. There's plenty of good anime out there with absolutely terrible openings / first episodes. In fact, one of my favorite animes (When they Cry) is pretty damn slow in the 1st episode.

By the end of episode 3, I'm dropping bad anime and moving onto the next one. By episode 5, I've seen enough (like Leadale) to decide if its good enough to finish.

------

In the case of Leadale, Cerberwoof basically won me over.

1644130165985.png

1644130133744.png

Cayna's "Cerberus" has three heads, like most Cerberus. But this one has a derpy/drooling face, one sleepy-face, and one serious / worker face. Its basically three doggies in one.

Sometimes... its the little things that please me.

Last edited: