• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anime Nation

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
Please tell me you didn't get the cross dressed Hideyoshi as well

Only one figure fits the box, and that's actually the "back" of the box. The front features Himeji and her summon.

System Name Unreal Machine IV
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Cooling Noctua U9S
Memory Team UD4-4000 @4000 CL18 1:1
Video Card(s) 5600XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston SSD 240GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Blue SN 550 Nvme 1TB X3
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Case Old school Termalthake xaser III black with lots of noctua 80mm fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 hero SE
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
YuruYuri... Any Yuri in it or is it just a name ? A friend recommended it but I just dismissed it cuz I though it was a Hentai :shadedshu . But then I checked MAL and it wasn't listed as one.

Please tell me you didn't get the cross dressed Hideyoshi as well

Just yuri fantasies, harmless ones, ZERO nudity (i dont even remember seeing any panty-shot), the only yuri thing so far seems to be a kiss in the pv of the last episode...
The anime is harmless...
Good comedy...

Edit: Usagi drop, anyone who might have missed or been waiting, now is the time to start...
Usagi drop is a heartwarming and realistic slice of life story, i believe the production did a perfect job bringing the story and characters to life, making it just perfect to watch with about anyone or share with the family, after all Usagi drop is about life and the hardships of raising a child...

Last edited:
T

twilyth

I finished Le Chevalier D'Eon. That was quite good. I'm still a little put-off by the changing loyalties and I'm not sure how well that was really developed in the story, but in terms of the feel and ambiance, it's the sort of thing I very much like. I also liked the occult aspect although the rules that applied to using the power were never very clear, but I can live with that.

Right now I'm watching Baccano and I'm really tempted to bail on this one. It's extremely confusing and some of the characters are way too over the top for me. I know that it's supposed to be several intertwined stories but it doesn't have a pace or rhythm to the plot. I'm on episode 3 at the moment. How far do I go before I decide it's not for me?

What do you think of Chrome Shelled Regios, Mushi-shi, Basilisk and Burst Angel? I think Elfen Lied is top contender also.

Thanks.

System Name Hakase
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X @ Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz 18-18-18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1070 Dual
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2476-smhd
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Fostex PC100USB > Altec Lansing ATP-3
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight - Razer ExactMat Control
Keyboard Leopold FC750R, MX Blue
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores not benching anymore...
i think i will give usagi drop a try,
after a bit raged of that kiss in yuruyuri

ooooo..... yeah

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
I finished Le Chevalier D'Eon. That was quite good. I'm still a little put-off by the changing loyalties and I'm not sure how well that was really developed in the story, but in terms of the feel and ambiance, it's the sort of thing I very much like. I also liked the occult aspect although the rules that applied to using the power were never very clear, but I can live with that.

Right now I'm watching Baccano and I'm really tempted to bail on this one. It's extremely confusing and some of the characters are way too over the top for me. I know that it's supposed to be several intertwined stories but it doesn't have a pace or rhythm to the plot. I'm on episode 3 at the moment. How far do I go before I decide it's not for me?

What do you think of Chrome Shelled Regios, Mushi-shi, Basilisk and Burst Angel? I think Elfen Lied is top contender also.

Thanks.

Baccano really isn't one to watch if you don't like the "jump around" that it does.. It took me 3 tries to really sit down and watch it fully.. But, once you do it's a great anime.

out of the few that you say.. Elfen is going to be a great anime.. blood and gore and greatness.. Might be a little much if you thought Speed Grapher was out there.. I'd say watch Mushi-shi. Great anime with a story that draws you in. Burst Angel was good. Good action.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz

Thanks.

Chrome Shelled was an interesting story, some monster designs where horrible, but overall i thought it was interesting, specially some characters, nothing to special though...

Mushishi is a masterpiece of fantasy, hardly you will ever find anything better, only in Ghibli material you will found that much quality, i recomend you to watch 2 other fantasy masterpieces, they are actually pertaining to the same creators, they are Kemono Souja Erin, by watching this, you will think that you are reading a fairy tale book instead of actually watching anime, simple enough to be enjoyed by a kid, and complex enough to drawn in any adult; the other is serei no Moribito, it is a radically different story than Erin is, but the setting and the characters are fantastic...

Basilisk is a very grim and dark story about Ninjas, very dark and violent...

I watched most of burst angel, but that was long ago, im not sure i would recommend it before watching it myself again, i know it involves a team of four girls that came together due to certain circumstances and past's, they are a group that solves crimes, and fights using some mechs but they can kick ass too, i remember liking the white headed and the loli...

Baccano really pays off if one sits and watches it until the end...

Elfen lied a is a gory dark tale, a classic in the genre, the music is specially fantastic, and the use of imagery...

I recommend you to take a look at the "Djisas's Noobs guide to Anime" in the first page, it will help you a lot...

T

twilyth

djisas and Cold Storm: Thanks for the advice. I'll try to take a look at the OP as you suggest.

In the meantime, what is the darkest most frightening anime you've ever seen that I can get with eng dubs. I really didn't find D'eon or gungrave very scarey. Speed grapher was just a few instances of gratuitous gore. I don't really mind gore as long as it's only people being killed. The can be killed in the most horrible and graphic ways. I don't have a problem with that, it's just not something I have an affinity for. Otherwise, its perfectly fine. But I don't especially like it and prefer stories that use is sparingly as a way to make certain points.

I love everything dark and occult, evil and malevolent. What really gave you nightmares that fits the bill of being dark and occult? I usually find these soothing and relaxing.

I'll look into the ones you mention though. Thanks you.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
With luck higurashi no naku koro ni: when the cicadas cry it cant get better than this, even you will be impressed...
Shiki is also fantastic but very recent, getting it dubbed might be impossible yet...
Occult academy it does a fantastic job with the occult theme...
Umineko no naku koro ni: when the seagulls cry, from higurashi creator, it mixes occult and gore, the tv edition was severely censored to tone down the amount of gore, if you can find a dub, you might like it, specially the bd rips...
Baccano is also gory enough...

There's school days too, never got down to watch it after watching like 2 episodes before dropping it, but i know it gets really nasty...

Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
Just bought a Natsu and Mugi stuffed toy. I'll keep Natsu while I'll give Mugi to my girlfriend (along with the Hello Kitty wearing a yukata).

System Name Staggered
Processor Intel i5 6600k (XSPC Rasa)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3
Cooling RX360 (3*Scythe GT1850) + RX240 (2*Scythe GT1850) + Laing D5 Vario (with EK X-Top V2)
Memory 2*8gb Team Group Dark @3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 1.25v
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 1070 HerculeZ
Storage 256gb Samsung 830 + 2*1tB Samsung F3 + 2*2tB Samsung F4EG
Display(s) Flatron W3000H 2560*1600
Case Cooler Master ATCS 840 + 1*120 GT1850 (exhaust) + 1*230 Spectre Pro + Lamptron FC2 (fan controller)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
"Berserk" is dark and gritty.
"Hellsing" is dark and occult. The protagonist is called Arucard and for a good reason.
"Aoi Bungaki" has dark,depressing and bitter sweet stories. It's basically an anime version of (arguably) the best Japanese novels ever written.
"Basilisk" is another dark and gritty anime. I personally liked how the story unfolded, it felt like an old-school play.
"The Count of Monte Cristo" is the alternate universe anime version of the (french?) play/novel(?) of the same name.
"Elfen Lied", which is touted as being the goriest scenes in anime.
"Afro Samurai" and it's sequel. A good contender in terms of gore with the above. It also has some of the best animation I've ever seen.
"Ergo Proxy", a dark and philosophical sci-fi.
"Kara no Kyoukai", a dark anime consisting of 7 films. So the animation and stuff are excellent (cause you know, film = highbudget).
"Kurozuka", you'll probably be confused the whole way through but when you reach the end your mind will equal blown.
I assume you're a fan of sci-fi, if so you'll really like "Memories". It also has black comedy.
"Mnemosyne", violent and gore filled. Has awesome action. Consists of six 45min long eps.
"Monster", it's a thriller. Has arguably the best story of any anime.
"Paranoia Agent", contains paranoia and excellent music.
"Seikimatsu Occult Gakuen", contains occult stuff, as the title states.
"Shigurui", a work of art painted in blood. Nuff said.
"The Animatrix", shows how the robots came to power. Contains metaphorical buttrape (for the humans).

Oh and for teh lulz, "Detroit Metal City". It's a comical take on death metal.
Another one for the lulz since you're into politics and all that jazz, "Hetalia Axis Powers", it's a comedy.

And the stuff the others recommended.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Mononoke is about perfect for occult fans, really just perfect...
Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror is good too, in fact one of Ayakashi's stories is about Mononoke since these two share the same creator...
Have you watched Bakemonogatari??
It gets into the occult stuff and is a fantastic production...

System Name Staggered
Cooling RX360 (3*Scythe GT1850) + RX240 (2*Scythe GT1850) + Laing D5 Vario (with EK X-Top V2)
Case Cooler Master ATCS 840 + 1*120 GT1850 (exhaust) + 1*230 Spectre Pro + Lamptron FC2 (fan controller)
I have Mononoke and Ayakashi lying on my hard drive, unwatched. It's almost comical how long some of the unwatched stuff have been lying there.
Last night I decided to watch Witchblade. It had been lying on my hard drive so long that the blu-rays had already come out, lol.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
I watched some witchblade, never finished though, if you like it, then watch Mnemosyne, im sure you will love...

Now, i just talked about Bakemonogatari, it was the biggest anime hit before Madoka, both being "Shafted" and sell more than K-on or any other anime for that matter (except record shattering eva 2.0 bd), i was checking on it on anidb and for the first time i realized there is a sequel listed to start this winter Nisemonogatari and i never found until now, not only that, but i already knew about the prequel Kizumonogatari, and im pretty sure Shaft has enough resources to pull this out and outdo themselves, again...

So here's what i have:
[/quote]

* Based on a series of light novels written by Nishio Ishin and illustrated by Vofan.

A sequel to Bakemonogatari. A black swindler Kaiki Deishu, who once deceived Hitagi, returned to the town and spreads the incantation, which cursed Nadeko before. Koyomi's sisters Karen and Tsukihi try to capture Deishu but...

http://youtu.be/q4G0zBJ0PEA

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Looking forward to more Bakemonogatari stuff too, but in the meantime I need to catch up to the ones which has just finished airing.

System Name Hakase
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
I need to catch up with baka to test, usagi drop, mitsudomoe, and rozen maiden,.

i know that the last 3 are finished already, but i havent really have the time to watch

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Rozen Maiden was really, really good...

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
"Berserk" is dark and gritty.
"Hellsing" is dark and occult. The protagonist is called Arucard and for a good reason.
"Aoi Bungaki" has dark,depressing and bitter sweet stories. It's basically an anime version of (arguably) the best Japanese novels ever written.
"Basilisk" is another dark and gritty anime. I personally liked how the story unfolded, it felt like an old-school play.
"The Count of Monte Cristo" is the alternate universe anime version of the (french?) play/novel(?) of the same name.
"Elfen Lied", which is touted as being the goriest scenes in anime.
"Afro Samurai" and it's sequel. A good contender in terms of gore with the above. It also has some of the best animation I've ever seen.
"Ergo Proxy", a dark and philosophical sci-fi.
"Kara no Kyoukai", a dark anime consisting of 7 films. So the animation and stuff are excellent (cause you know, film = highbudget).
"Kurozuka", you'll probably be confused the whole way through but when you reach the end your mind will equal blown.
I assume you're a fan of sci-fi, if so you'll really like "Memories". It also has black comedy.
"Mnemosyne", violent and gore filled. Has awesome action. Consists of six 45min long eps.
"Monster", it's a thriller. Has arguably the best story of any anime.
"Paranoia Agent", contains paranoia and excellent music.
"Seikimatsu Occult Gakuen", contains occult stuff, as the title states.
"Shigurui", a work of art painted in blood. Nuff said.
"The Animatrix", shows how the robots came to power. Contains metaphorical buttrape (for the humans).

Oh and for teh lulz, "Detroit Metal City". It's a comical take on death metal.
Another one for the lulz since you're into politics and all that jazz, "Hetalia Axis Powers", it's a comedy.

And the stuff the others recommended.

If you want, I'll add that to the op this weekend. Don't mind adding stuff like that there.. Dj's just going to have a Speical spot. But, I have no problem's adding what others think about animes also.. I'll just [spoiler) tag it with your name above..

Just remind me on Sunday if I haven't yet..

I'm still not finished with Witchblade.. I think I have a few more episodes to go. I've liked it since you really don't see that sort of thing happen in Anime.. Meaning.. Parent doing all the stuff for the kid... It's normally a "person under 30" doing it for themselves.

System Name Staggered
Yeah, 13-16 year old protagonists get annoying after awhile.

If you want, I'll add that to the op this weekend. Don't mind adding stuff like that there.. Dj's just going to have a Speical spot. But, I have no problem's adding what others think about animes also.. I'll just [spoiler) tag it with your name above..

Nah, I'm cool. I just posted that for twilyth but thank you for the offer anyway.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Nah, I'm cool. I just posted that for twilyth but thank you for the offer anyway.

NP. Anything to make the OP better I'm all for it.. Unless Mussels is around.. he changes it hiself.. :roll: Which I'm cool with.

But, anyone has idea's to add and we all think the same.. by all means I'll add.. Just might have to make sure it's in a PM so I don't forget.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Watching Saiunkoku Monogatari Season 2, the first few episodes are just as good as the first seasons. Clannad after that.

System Name Hakase
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
I can't rewatch Clannad after story.
its just too depressing..

Processor Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Gene
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
Memory 8GB Samsung Green@ 220Mhz 10-11-10-28 T1 1.55v
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce GTX460 768MB 850Mhz/1999Mhz
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 120GB + lots of other drives
Display(s) 27" AOC e2795Vh
Case Bitfenix Shinodi
Power Supply Corsair GS 800W
Software Windows 7 64bit
Yeah, 13-16 year old protagonists get annoying after awhile.
Indeed :rolleyes: but they will never change :wtf:

Watching Saiunkoku Monogatari Season 2, the first few episodes are just as good as the first seasons. Clannad after that.
I never heard of that before(or just ignored it) so i will check it out when I get the chance

System Name Hakase
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Rozen Maiden was really, really good...

im agree with you dj,
the story is nice, im at episode 9 now,
so far im really heating that suigintou, what the heck does she want.
:shadedshu