• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anime Nation

System Name Unreal Machine IV
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Cooling Noctua U9S
Memory Team UD4-4000 @4000 CL18 1:1
Video Card(s) 5600XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston SSD 240GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Blue SN 550 Nvme 1TB X3
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Case Old school Termalthake xaser III black with lots of noctua 80mm fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 hero SE
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
Well Back Arrow has no source material/manga/novel to go by according to wiki page so the only way to judge it is by the anime itself which the premise is pretty generic but it could be a good watch still. Decent VA cast, the main character is voiced by the japanese VA of Eren Jaeger from AOT.
I remember 90s and early 2000 was dominated by Megumi Hayashibara and her VA is still pretty big too, can't wait to watch the Shaman King reboot and also Rebuild Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 is set for its japanese theatrical release this month so we should see it later this year digital hopefully.

Megumi Hayashibara is the queen of the 90's, she is still my favorite voice...

Last edited:
System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
guys looks for subsplease,

Megumi Hayashibara is the queen of the 90's, she is still my favorite voice...
She is definitely in the top 10 for me too, along with the guy who voiced Ryu hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive, Dio Brando and Setsuna F Seiei voice actor.

System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
Well Back Arrow has no source material/manga/novel to go by according to wiki page so the only way to judge it is by the anime itself which the premise is pretty generic but it could be a good watch still. Decent VA cast, the main character is voiced by the japanese VA of Eren Jaeger from AOT.
I remember 90s and early 2000 was dominated by Megumi Hayashibara and her VA is still pretty big too, can't wait to watch the Shaman King reboot and also Rebuild Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 is set for its japanese theatrical release this month so we should see it later this year digital hopefully.

Its clear that adaptations of Manga / Light Novels / Visual Novels will generally lead to deeper and more fulfilling storylines. DBZ, Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, When they Cry... iterating upon an already told story is just easier than making a new story from scratch.

"No Source Material" anime still have a place in my heart though. Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagaan... even B-class anime like Black Fox, have a chaotic feel that really can't be replicated by the shows that try to cater to an already-existing fanbase. In that regards: a "no source" and/or "anime first" shows like Kabaneri of Iron Fortress, Back Arrow, Aldnoah Zero should be judged against other anime without source material.

Last edited:
System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
Its clear that adaptations of Manga / Light Novels / Visual Novels will generally lead to deeper and more fulfilling storylines. DBZ, Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, When they Cry... iterating upon an already told story is just easier than making a new story from scratch.

"No Source Material" anime still have a place in my heart though. Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagaan... even B-class anime like Black Fox, have a chaotic feel that really can't be replicated by the shows that try to cater to an already-existing fanbase. In that regards: a "no source" and/or "anime first" shows like Kabaneri of Iron Fortress, Back Arrow, Aldnoah Zero should be judged against other anime without source material.
Tenchi Muyo had no source material which was quite successful aswell for its time, it was also an anime that was dubbed in English first before released in Japanese.
By far its up there with being one of the better English dub Anime.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Is HunterxHunter worth a binge watch? It's winter and I got nothing else to do. So far animes I have finished: Death Note original series 10/10, Re:Zero 8/10, and One Punch Man 8/10.

I want something where I can unplug from everything and just binge watch one long anime for a week. HunterxHunter is one I think I might enjoy, I still need to watch Fullmetal Alchemist though, but I never know if I should watch Brotherhood or the older one... everyone seems divided which one they like best, and I am not watching both, so eh...

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
Is HunterxHunter worth a binge watch? It's winter and I got nothing else to do. So far animes I have finished: Death Note original series 10/10, Re:Zero 8/10, and One Punch Man 8/10.

I want something where I can unplug from everything and just binge watch one long anime for a week. HunterxHunter is one I think I might enjoy, I still need to watch Fullmetal Alchemist though, but I never know if I should watch Brotherhood or the older one... everyone seems divided which one they like best, and I am not watching both, so eh...
If you’re going to watch one you have to watch brotherhood, it’s the only one with an actual ending. The older one was done before the manga concluded and doesn’t end like it was supposed to.
I haven’t personally watched HxH, but only heard good things.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
HxH and brotherhood are both good choices for a big binge session

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I'll tag in here with the HxH series. Enjoyed it, altho I will warn you that they left some of the character development to the side, severely disappointing me.

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
Also AFAIK HxH isn't concluded and probably never will be, so if you want a story that has a definite end you have to go for brotherhood I think.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Also AFAIK HxH isn't concluded and probably never will be, so if you want a story that has a definite end you have to go for brotherhood I think.

What do you mean, as in it has never ending episodes being added? Or the creators never finished the ending and stopped work on it?

System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
What do you mean, as in it has never ending episodes being added? Or the creators never finished the ending and stopped work on it?
I'm just guessing, maybe the ending was rushed or didn't really have a good "ending" which is what happened to Evangelion.
Gainax ran out of budget or something so the original final episode was a bit "disappointing", but by miracle Gainax got money and managed to conclude it but lead to more "confusion" to the lore with End of Evangelion.
Now here we are with Rebuild Evangelion which itself has its own timeline/universe that is completely different to the original anime.
Don't forget the Evangelion games..they have their own timeline/universe too.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
The manga isn't finished yet. And likely will never be because the author keeps going on hiatus and only works on it when he feels inspired.. which hasn't happened often in recent years.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The manga isn't finished yet. And likely will never be because the author keeps going on hiatus and only works on it when he feels inspired.. which hasn't happened often in recent years.

Alright, Brotherhood it is then, thanks. is rezero season 2 out yet? that might be my next bet.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
Alright, Brotherhood it is then, thanks. is rezero season 2 out yet? that might be my next bet.
First half is out, second half is airing now (Q1). Brotherhood is a great choice.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
Personally, disregarding the source material which i never read, I enjoyed the first FMA more.
It's the one I watched first too...
In particular the music and cast...
It is probably darker too...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Personally, disregarding the source material which i never read, I enjoyed the first FMA more.
It's the one I watched first too...
In particular the music and cast...
It is probably darker too...

I was told Brotherhood is more philosophical? If this is true I prefer Brotherhood already.

The dude writing HxH takes a break every few years.

Its basically the "A Song of Ice and Fire" of anime/manga. There are just years and year where the fanbase sits around, waiting for the next arc.

My "binge watch" shows are ~13 episodes or 26 episodes. Something like Brotherhood (~60 episodes) is too long for me to binge.

* Madoka Magica -- "Dark & Depressing" Magical Girl show
* The Promised Neverland (Season 1) -- Similar to Death Note in many ways: a lot of 'they think I'm thinking that they're thinking".
* Steins;Gate -- Time Travel that glorifies obscure nerd / internet culture. (IBM 5100, Akihabara, "Large Haldron Supercollider will create black holes and destroy the world").
* Kill La Kill -- WTF did I just watch? Clothes are evil, take them off.
* Baccano! (Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere online) -- Pulp Fiction in anime form. A 1920s moonshine gang war anime, except one of the moonshiners hid the fountain of youth / secret of immortality in their booze. Told from the perspective of two reporters looking at all the information at a table, wondering how to write the story.

Probably a bunch of others. But just a few from off the top of my head. The thing about anime-taste is that its hard to know what others like, so sometimes the "shotgun" approach works better: just try a bunch of different shows.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
The dude writing HxH takes a break every few years.

Its basically the "A Song of Ice and Fire" of anime/manga. There are just years and year where the fanbase sits around, waiting for the next arc.

My "binge watch" shows are ~13 episodes or 26 episodes. Something like Brotherhood (~60 episodes) is too long for me to binge.

* Madoka Magica -- "Dark & Depressing" Magical Girl show
* The Promised Neverland (Season 1) -- Similar to Death Note in many ways: a lot of 'they think I'm thinking that they're thinking".
* Steins;Gate -- Time Travel that glorifies obscure nerd / internet culture. (IBM 5100, Akihabara, "Large Haldron Supercollider will create black holes and destroy the world").
* Kill La Kill -- WTF did I just watch? Clothes are evil, take them off.
* Baccano! (Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere online) -- Pulp Fiction in anime form. A 1920s moonshine gang war anime, except one of the moonshiners hid the fountain of youth / secret of immortality in their booze. Told from the perspective of two reporters looking at all the information at a table, wondering how to write the story.

Probably a bunch of others. But just a few from off the top of my head. The thing about anime-taste is that its hard to know what others like, so sometimes the "shotgun" approach works better: just try a bunch of different shows.

I can try and find baccano for you...
Also try durarara, baccano's spiritual successor...
Actually, durarara shares the same setting/world...

Seems like "The Hidden Dungeon only I can enter" and "Suppose a kid from the last dungeon boonies moved to a starter town" are "just fantasy" and I've made a mistake on those two. But I haven't seen those shows and those titles are very isekai-like. So I hope you can forgive me on those two.

Given that I misinterpreted "Suppose a kid from the last dungeon boonies moved to a starter town" earlier, I decided to give it 3 episodes (the 3 episodes that are available so far).

Its... not bad, but not great.

Lloyd Belladona is the weakest kid from his village... but his village is a very, very special place. As explained in episode 1: the epic heroes of the world have moved out of society and towards the edge of humanity. Every villager is an epic hero of sorts, and while Lloyd is the weakest of the bunch, he's still pretty much "One Punch Man" compared to a normal human. What makes this unique compared to other "overpowered shows", is that Lloyd truly believes himself to be a weak and pathetic character, given his position as weakest in the village.

The village chief sends Lloyd out to the big city, so that he can get his confidence back up. But... well... the story happens. And the story doesn't seem to want to give Lloyd any confidence, in a tragicomedy sort of way. Even in episode 1, I think the show managed to surprise me in its setup, but this starts to get into spoiler territory.

Lloyd tries to join the military academy. The village chief, the chief of the military, the local witch... everyone expects him to pass with flying colors. Unfortunately, Lloyd fails the test. In episode 2, it is revealed that Lloyd's writing is ancient magic runes, of which most of the test proctors couldn't read. Thinking Lloyd to be illiterate, they fail him on the spot... but the reality is that Lloyd is extremely fluent in the most difficult of magic runes: to the point of just using the runes in everyday writing.

The chief of the military starts looking for a way to cheat Lloyd into the military despite Lloyd's failing score.

The non-spoiler way of saying things: they clearly plan on keeping Lloyd's self confidence issues as a cornerstone to the drama of this anime. Whether or not its good will depend on where this arc is going, and I don't think 3 episodes is quite far enough to judge the anime on that plot point.

Beyond that: there's definitely a lot of anime tropes here. Lloyd's harem grows to the size of four by the 3rd episode for example, along with some light fanservice that you can expect from a show pushing harem tropes. A harem-plot (even a light-weight one) depends entirely on the likability of the various heroines: and there's only been enough time to really learn one of the characters so far. So its too early for me to call this good or bad yet.

The main issue with this show is that its got terrible timing. There's so many good anime airing in Winter 2021, and I don't think this show holds a candle to the big hitters (When they Cry, Attack on Titan, Slime, Log Horizon, etc. etc.). If this show came out like Summer 2020, it probably would have been worth a watch. But for now, there's too many better shows airing.

So far, the show manages to be a comedy to laugh at Lloyd's situation, without actually feeling "mean" and laughing at Lloyd himself. It seems difficult to thread the needle: making a comedy without feeling mean to Lloyd, so I respect the writers for attempting to tackle this kind of plot. From that perspective, the show plays it somewhat safe with some anime tropes, but from another perspective: I can respect the difficulty with the story's fundamental setup.

Last edited:
Slime Season 2 is off to a very strong start.

It feels like the animation quality has improved slightly: Ranga is far "fluffier", the action scenes also seem to have a lot of impact. I never thought Slime looked bad, but it feels like they got a lot more money this time around.

So far, the episodes are more world-building. We're learning the personalities of the Beast-kingdom, and more about the Dwarf Kingdom as well.

------------

Log Horizon Season 3 is very dense. It starts right off with a major debate between the Round Table Conference. I highly suggest reading up on Season1/2 material to remember the politics: Corwin's Family / Eastial, Westlande, Honesty, DDD, West Wind Brigade, Marine Organization, Shopping District 8, Crescent Moon Alliance, Log Horizon, Radio Market... and those are just the organizations!! There's Shiroe, Raynessia, Akatsuki. Of course there's the venerable Tea Party (not a guild) whose members have dispersed throughout the land.

And of course: the plot. Trapped in a video game, looking for an escape, following leads and rumors as they come up. Log Horizon is focusing on the intrigue and its THICK. You might need to rewind / rewatch some parts to understand everything going on.

I have a feeling that this is exactly what we Log Horizon viewers wanted. The play-by-play and thought process of so many characters, guilds, noblemen... the author does a good job thinking out everyone's philosophy and making them consistent. But the character depth makes these political setups a big hassle to understand all the moving parts.

----------

After getting relaxed with Rimruru's "anime-logic politics" (I fight you. I win, will you join me? Repat for the Goblins, the Wolves, the Lizardmen, the Orcs and damn near everyone else Rimruru faces...)... its kind of fun to be watching the other extreme in Log Horizon, which arguably goes too deep into the details / weeds for everyone's thinking. But I guess that's what makes watching both shows so interesting.

Slime is somehow managing to give a general idea of the world (and basic politics) without actually getting dragged down into the weeds. Log Horizon is all about the "devil in the details", always has been.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Oh god yes, log horizon was just.... where the hell am i and what is going on

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
So This is a thing, I havent been following the manga so trying to avoid spoilers.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
So This is a thing, I havent been following the manga so trying to avoid spoilers.

Ah, why are they bothering. I don't even remember eaxctly how it ended, I just remember that it was spectacularly bad. I hope they don't follow the manga too closely. Or at all, if possible.