• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anno 2070's Draconian DRM: Guru3D's Graphics Card Review Killed Off

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
oh hey look, another thread where people bitch and complain.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Rayman, FarCry 1, Sands of Time, Warrior Within, Two Thrones (Starforce) good tiemz :D

Game developers would be better off just making their titles worth buying

It's not the developers who demand the DRM, it's the publishers. It's unfortunate that people don't make this distinction.

Regarding the DRM, Ubisoft should take a clue from Microsoft. Just changing a single piece of hardware shouldn't cause a license problem. I changed graphics cards twice and the CPU and Vista didn't even blink. I once changed MB+CPU+graphics on XP and had to call Microsoft, but that was sorted out without a problem. People should be allowed to change any number of graphics cards without this requiring a new activation.

This DRM is basically equivalent to renting the game. You know that at some point in the future you will no longer be able to play it. Many gamers upgrade often, and for them that time will come sooner. At least provide a way to deactivate, like Mass Effect did. Not perfect, either, but I can accept it better.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It's not the developers who demand the DRM, it's the publishers. It's unfortunate that people don't make this distinction.

Regarding the DRM, Ubisoft should take a clue from Microsoft. Just changing a single piece of hardware shouldn't cause a license problem. I changed graphics cards twice and the CPU and Vista didn't even blink. I once changed MB+CPU+graphics on XP and had to call Microsoft, but that was sorted out without a problem. People should be allowed to change any number of graphics cards without this requiring a new activation.

This DRM is basically equivalent to renting the game. You know that at some point in the future you will no longer be able to play it. Many gamers upgrade often, and for them that time will come sooner. At least provide a way to deactivate, like Mass Effect did. Not perfect, either, but I can accept it better.
I agree with your post - Ubisoft should be reasonable the way Microsoft are and there would be no problem. I myself have activated Windows many times over the phone just fine.

However, for your first line, really it doesn't matter who demands it, the end result is that the customer is stuck with DRM, so the distinction isn't all that important. I wouldn't buy products with such DRM, regardless of whether it was the publisher or the developer that demanded it.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I acknowledge the problem is with the Publishers, but Developers need to start throwing their weight around, and stop allowing Publishers to completely control them.

I think publishers usually have the developers by the balls, unfortunately. I agree that in terms of boycotting a DRM it doesn't matter if it's the publisher or developer who wanted that DRM, but it's still better to put the blame where it should go.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
Most developers that I can think of really can't throw their weight around, after all they're wholly owned subsidiaries of the publisher, or the publisher is funding their entire project.