1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Another ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Onboard Audio Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dalaamprince, Jun 28, 2005.

1. dalaamprince New Member

Thanks Received:
    I purchased a custom-made system from ecollegepc.com back in February of this year. The motherboard I had them put in it was an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe. According to the support guy at ecollegepc and ASUS's webpage for this particular model ( http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-e_d/overview.htm# ) I was told 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers would work with the onboard audio.

I recently purchased the Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers from NewEgg. They arrived this week. When I plugged all of the speakers in appropriately I opened up Winamp to start listening to some music. However, only the Front left and right speakers and the subwoofer work. I'm not getting any sound from the center or rear Left and Right speakers.

I went into the RealTek 97 configuration program and set the speaker setup to 6
    channel Audio (it was set on 2 channel audio). I went on in the RealTek 97 configuration to test the speakers using the Test button. Sound came out of every speaker. Only it was
    muffled in the rear left speaker, but sound was definitely coming from it. I'm guessing that speaker may just be faulty. But that is beside the point. Sound came from every speaker when I tested them in the RealTek 97 configuration.

I closed out of the RealTek program (not seeing any Apply button, I'm guessing it automatically applys the new settings) and reopened Winamp. I am still only getting sound from the front left and right speakers and the subwoofer. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is probably because the music you are listening to is stereo and not 5.1.

I have Logitech 4.1 speakers and I have to enable a 3D affect in the options for my Audigy LS to get the music to play on my rear speakers as well. So I don't believe you're experiencing any problems. Try playing a game making sure the game is set to 6 channel and see if it works okay. If not you may want to try picking up a Creative Labs 5.1 or 7.1 card for about $30, or borrowing a friends if you know somebody that has one.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. dalaamprince New Member

Thanks Received:
    But my mobo already has the onboard sound capability to use 5.1 speakers, why would I buy a Creative Labs 5.1 soundcard? Could there be a 3D affect in the options for RealTek 97?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Ya thats what I would say the problem is too. Nothing to worry bout there. ;)

-Dan

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. dalaamprince New Member

Thanks Received:
    My cousin has 5.1 Speakers he bought and set up. I think he may have a sound card installed, but nonetheless he had no difficulty getting sound to come from all of his speakers when listening to music. He didn't have to set any settings, it just worked. There has to be some way to get music to come from all 6 speakers using the mobo's onboard sound. I don't have the money to shell out to buy a sound card, nor the knowhow on how to install one. Any help?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Surrond sound does not work by having all the speakers putting out the same sound. The backs only work when there is a sound in the background of a game or something that supports the 5.1. They are meant to give you the effect of having something behind you. As wtf8269 said you must have music or a game that supports 5.1 for it to work. I have the same mobo as you, when you go into the realtek sound manager and go to the demo and play it, you will here the sound behind you when it goes there if you know what I mean. The rear speakers only work when they are supported.

-Dan

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. bim27142

bim27142

Thanks Received:
    winamp does not support 5.1 sound vitualization... and besides, music is plain stereo...

try using windows media player (10 preferably) and i assure you, you can hear sounds thru all the speakers... that is why i'm not using winamp anymore, also, windows media player sounds way better than winamp (though it utilizes much more cpu power than winamp)...

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. gR3iF

gR3iF

Thanks Received:
    and try a little game like hl2 with 5.1 enabled then you really should hear your system

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    I have Realtek HD 3D 7.1 Surround sound integrated on my board. The Creative SB Live! I had sounded better, and took some load off my CPU. True it does'nt support 7.1, but it was 5.1. I now have a :D Creative SB Audigy2 ZS :D it is also HD 7.1. I only use a 4.0 configuration, but the sound is simply amazing. Many times the clarity of my onboard audio. You would not believe the quality of sound this card creates. That is why a Creative product out preforms onboard audio. The most important thing in a soundcard is sound quality, not how many speakers it can support.

Realtek<Creative Labs

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. bim27142

bim27142

Thanks Received:
    how about a creative live 5.1 compared to the on-board audio of this mobo? is the difference really worth the price of buying a discrete one?

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    I don't know. Play around if you like what you have. I just had a spare. The new SB live! is 24-bit with 3D sound and HD Audio. $29 @ Newegg. I don't think there is any onboard audio that can compete with that. I could be wrong though. Always do some research before you buy. (Not just forums) Random people can't always be trusted ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    1.) onboard sound will utilize the CPU for some of its audio processing
    2.) sound cards generally have a cleaner, crisper sound than most onboard audio. Soundstorm, and intel's azalia are nice from what ive heard. I ahve used NFII soundstorm and it is great..

onboard sound compared to a sound card when using decent quality speakers is a no contest. It will sound a lot better, and using a sound card (even a basic little sound blaster live! 5.1) will enable sound options that the onboard is physically incapable of producing and running. such as EAX. :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    EAX is the best!

10 Year Member at TPU