• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Another Lawsuit for Apple iPhone

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Second anti-iPhone lawsuit in two weeks alleges that Apple violated antitrust laws. A California man filed a lawsuit accusing Apple Inc. of violating antitrust law because its iPhone forces buyers to use AT&T Inc. as their wireless carrier and the company "bricked" phones that had been modified to call over other networks. Timothy Smith filed the lawsuit Friday with a California state court in San Jose seeking class-action status. The suit demands that Apple be barred from selling locked iPhones and that it be required to provide warranty service for owners of unlocked devices. The lawsuit also asks for unspecified monetary damages. In the lawsuit Smith alleges that Apple violated several California antitrust statutes when it tied the smart phone to AT&T and prohibited customers from using other carriers. Click here to read the full story.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Q9450
Motherboard Asus P5K Deluxe
Cooling All Air
Memory Corsair Dominator 8GB PC1066
Video Card(s) Evga 8800GT
Storage WD: Raptor 300, 500GB, 750GB, 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 24", Acer 19"
Case Lian-Li PC-6070
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX2
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 650W
Software Vista 64bit
This whole iPhone thing is getting way out of hand. I should go buy a iphone and sue Apple so i dont have to work for 5 years.

With so much drama over a cell phone, im beginning to forget there are real problems out there, like .....War in Iraq.

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
i don't think iphone owners will get anything good out these lawsuits, especially a 5 year break! haha ^

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
The fact remains that if a company like MS tried the crap Apple is puling they would be people screaming about it all day long. But as it is apple and they have a loyalist cult following that will give their life for apple..........

Die apple die.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
This guy is an idiot if he thinks Apple cant make their iPhone exclusive to only one carrier (namely AT&T) if they wish to, LG has done it with its chocolate phone for Verizon. Plus many other examples.

I agree I dont like the fact that Apple locked peoples iPhones with the new update, but guess what buddy if Apple only wants AT&T then they should be allowed to only sell their iPhone on AT&T:pimp::pimp:

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
if you sign a contract and agree to terms and conditions how can you then go and sue for what you have already agreed to?, As much as i do not like Apple's sales practices just for the opportunistic nature of this claim i hope Apple win, i just cannot stand baseless lawsuits when the deal is clearly defined before purchase.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Just wait for next generation cars to work only with "Shell" petrol (or whatever). If you use another vendor, the car will brick itself.

Or how about a PC linked to a particular vendors electricity supply. Move to another state/utility company, and watch your PC fry.

Or how about your water supply being linked to a particular vendor's tap/fawcet? If they catch you using a different tap, they are allowed to turn off your water supply.

Nonesense, isn't it?

I have to disagree with jocksteeluk and bose. It's not about "whats in the terms and conditions", but consumer protection laws that limit what is allowed to be in "terms and conditions". There has to be a limit as to where a corporate can *bs* paying customers.

LoL, this whole iphone thing is funny. Every CDMA carrier has locked phones. I've been waiting for VZW to release the HTC6800 and Sprint, Bell Canada, Telus, etc have had it for a while now. GSM has sim cards , go buy yourself a Touch or Tilt or Trion or something. . .

It may be against the freedom of the consumer but it is the standard and we do agree to it. I'm sure the 1.1.1 update had an Agree/Disagree option when it was installed. People need to read the contracts they are agreeing to.

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
lemonadesoda, no offence but your argument is bordering on childish unrealistic extremes which would be laughed of any back-wood southern American court run by yokels. The product is sold specified locked to a single network and a specified configuration if you do wish to modify something you own you cannot expect the selling company to be responsible for incompatibilities caused by attempts to circumvent the agreed specification. This case just signifies that in American law people can lack self responsibility and sue for that fact. If people want unlcoked I-phones they should wait until they are officially available by the manufacturer or run the risk of ruing your own device by using unofficial software then going to Apple for official software updates.

Processor Q9450
Cooling All Air
Case Lian-Li PC-6070
Software Vista 64bit
I have to disagree with jocksteeluk and bose. It's not about "whats in the terms and conditions", but consumer protection laws that limit what is allowed to be in "terms and conditions". There has to be a limit as to where a corporate can *bs* paying customers.

You should sue Sprint and Verizon then, since you cant take their phones to another carriers.

Its not corporate BS. If you dont like it, then buy something else, no one is forcing you to buy the phone or sign the contract. I made the phone, i make the rules, you signed the contract, then you have to abide by it. Termination fees have been around since for ever, no one ever complained until now. Thats how it is.

As much as i dont care about Apple, all these law suits are getting out of hand. Only in US people will sure cause their toilet paper wasn't soft enough for their fat asses. So this needs to stop.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I have to agree, the whole gasoline only thing is rather retarded, no offense and no Im not calling you retarded, just the arguement.

There are literally a million cell phones if not more. Apple had produced the iphone and cingular (now the new AT&T) came calling with a deal that made sense to Apple, hence thats who Apple contracts through. HAd it been Sprint, Verizon Wireless, Virgin Mobile, etc, would they still be bickering about it?

Truth be told, the guy has no base to lay claim to this lawsuit. I hope Apple Countersues the endless stream of morons,

System Name Eric's Battlestation
Processor Core i7 6700k
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Mech 6750 XT
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Intel 660p 2TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply EVGA G2-XR 80 Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home
What the hell? If you don't want AT&T don't buy a iphone for crying out loud!! There are other cell phones out there too you know....

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
Frivolous lawsuits end of story. There are thousands of cellphones made today that will only work on one network, such as nextel, early razr's, etc. This lawsuit is bullshit, and stupidity.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
This guy's phone goes to hell and he looks for some else to blame besides himself. What an inmature moron.

ex_reven

All technology should be released with a 10,000 volt security system. If the hardware detects that the end-users IQ has dropped below a certified amount, they are no longer eligible to use the product and are zapped with electricity :D

Processor Q9450
Cooling All Air
Case Lian-Li PC-6070
Software Vista 64bit

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
And better cell phones then iPhone... :toast:

Actually I would say cheaper and not necesarilly better cell phones (though still nearly equal) than the iPhone, Does anyone even remember the Samsung Blackjack? Its still out there today and its still a kickass smartphone:nutkick::nutkick: And yet people you may remember that the company behind the blackberry phones tried to sue Samsung since Blackjack seemed to similar to blackberry which was also bull*hit.

My whole point is Why cant cell phone companies just try to get along, Im not condoning them to work together since that would create even worse monopolies than they already are?.:shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu