1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Another 'What graphics card should i go for?' thread.

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Huxley2k7, May 4, 2008.

1. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

Since the days when the 8800 G92 chip was a 'mystery', i've been considering getting a new card. I spent days researching the best chips, and overall the best card to get - then i decided against it, and i left it till now. Now, im completely out of the loop - i see Nvidia released the 900 series cards, but im still interested in an 8800GTS G92 card, since i really wanted one back before they came out, but decided to let the price go down a little.

My question is, what's the word in cyber-space about these bad boys? Whats the cream of the crop, whats the best bang-for-your-buck when it comes to the 8800 GTS G92 chips these days?
    As always, i appreciate all the help, i always remember how helpful and humble everyone here is! While someone might be able to provide me with some help, i'll carry on browsing high-and-low for the best deals!

Cheers! :toast:

EDIT: I'm actually considering going for a 9800 as well now, all recommendations welcome!

Last edited: May 4, 2008
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The best bang for the buck is the XFX 8800 GTS G92. I think theres one that it comes with a "FREE" Call of Duty or was it Company of Heroes game?

3. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    UK wise, that offer doesn't look very hopeful, still looking... Also, the 9800 prices aren't too bad...

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Well the 9800GTX is at its heart the same card as the 8800GTS. However, it is improved. It uses faster memory(0.8ns vs. 1.0ns) and better power setup. Which means it overclocks to much better speeds than the 8800GTS. My 8800GTS G92 barely matched the 9800GTX stock memory clocks, the core got higher than the 9800GTX stock clocks though. However, the 9800GTX overclocks higher than even that, so IMO it is worth the $50 mark up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

I would go with the eVGA 9800GTX, for $300. The new 9900 series cards are supposed to be coming out in July, so if you buy around the end of May, you should be able to use the step up program to get a 9900 series card.

Forget about the 9600GT, it performs roughly the same as the 8800GT, actually a little lower.

Edit: Oh, your in the UK. Well newegg doesn't really help much. But my recommendation of cards still does. The 9800GTX is a pretty decent card for the money, especially if you overclock. The eVGA step up program won't work for you either since I don't believe it is available outside the US.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  5. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to say this but wait until the end of the month when HD4870 releases.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a LOT newtekie, i actually found this 'This Week Only' offer at OCUK, and actually, it looks VERY good. 10 YR warranty too, and your recommendation basically ties in with what i was thinking too. Shame about the step up deal, but if worse comes to worse, i'll just sell it on E-Bay - if i really wanted to go for the 9900 that is. Also, my 580 Hiper Type-R is a great PSU, but im worried it might not still be up to the job of powering these new high-end cards, i know its not all down to wattage, but... Hmm. What do you think?

Thanks bud. This might be the card for me! I'm still open to advice though! :)

EDIT: Just seen this in the description '- 90 Day Step-up/upgrade programme from day of purchase (Upgrade your card and only pay the difference direct with EVGA)' Problem is, there's only 10 in stock - oh what to do! :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The raw numbers I read looked promising, and TDP was around 130W. Combined with the prices I saw listed it could indeed be something nice. I'm not recommending anything until I see actual benchmarks though.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Please dont hijack this thread guys, i've been an ATi man for the last 4 years but this time round im going for an Nvidia.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm. The only edge 9800 GTX gives you over 8800 GTS 512 is better memory, additional power phases that could improve OC's. Reviews for the 9800 GTX are pretty divided. Some say it outperforms 8800 Ultra (though not by any significant margin) while others say it falls behind a 8800 GTX.

If the price gap between 9800 GTX and 8800 GTS 512M isn't high, go for a 9800 GTX.

10. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    We're not hijacking. We're just giving you advice :)

The 4870 on paper looks very impressive, and with the release date not long after the 9900 series it may be worth a look.

Even if I was to get a G92, I'd either do as newtekie says and get an 9800 EVGA and use the step up when the 9900s come out, or wait until the 9900s come out.

I honestly don't think it's the right time to be buying a new graphics card with these 2 big card series coming out soon :) If you are going to make a purchase, wait a month or 2 and see how the market looks then.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. smig New Member

Thanks Received:
    might be that nVidia prices will be droped once the ne ATI cards will hit the market, but there is no gurentee.

12. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    The problem with that though, is that freakin manufacturers release a new card every day of the week. This is exactly what i was doing last time i was looking to upgrade, waiting for them to release new cards, and for the current market to drop in price. The same process happens over and over. The thing is, i think ill need a new card soonish - my card is beginning to fail on me.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I understand that, I do. However, this is a new series, not a new card in a series. The first cards in a series tend to give you an idea of what it's capable of. Make a decision based on that :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I also think you should wait a month or so. you don't wanna spend £200 on a 8800GTS and find that in one month they go down to £120, and the new 4870s or 9900s are like £200.

Just my two pence...

15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I would be worried too, I don't think the Type-R will be able to handle the load of one of these cards. Mine runs an 8800GS, but it has failed twice running SLI 7900GTs, which is why I finally switched to the Thermaltake.

16. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I've replaced my old Hiper Type-R 580W with a Tagan BZ-600 because the Hiper wasn't up to powering my system, let alone one with 2 cards!

Hiper = poor.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Since when was the Hiper Type R poor? It was top of the line, maybe not so much now, i wouldn't call it poor though, it's lasted me a couple years.

Are you guys sure my PSU can't handle a 9800 GTX? I got a friend who's running a Q6600, 4GB ram and an 8800GTX 768MB on the same PSU just fine.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I spend a lot of time on the Sapphire forums, and Hiper have had a poor reputation there since the X1950 series came out. Shame to say since its a British company, but they ain't all that I'm afraid.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Kovoet

Kovoet

Thanks Received:
    Money for buck any day I'll stick with my XFX 8800GTS 512mb and played with the Riva tuner and got the core up to 730mhz which I'm real happy about.

I'll wait till next year till something else all new comes out, as with a 20inch screen you don't need anything more. Becuse as far as I'm concerned you wasting money if you spend more

20. Kovoet

Kovoet

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem and replaced it with a XCLIO14 750watt. But for it's time it was an awesome PSU

21. Temps_Riising

Temps_Riising New Member

Thanks Received:
    IMO, if you can get a 8800GTS that will clock above 800mhz there is too little between it and the 9800GTX to warrant the price difference, that coupled with the additional power requirements of the GTX, the added length to the card which pulls a whacking 10.5inches which does cause some peoples set up problems makes the GTS even more inviting at the right price.

We all know that reaching high clocks vary from GPU to GPU but I have just bought this card (Inno 3D) which is excellent value IMO for the UK and you can see from the GPU-Z screenie what mine can do, I stress that I have not benched it at these speeds but I have played Bioshock for half an hour..... also it comes with GRAW2 which is a big improvement (again IMO) on the origional version, the card is here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138551

GPU-Z thumbnailed.......................

Attached Files:

22. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    When it came out it was top of the line on paper, however the build quality left a lot to be desired. They use a cheap OEM(Andyson IIRC), who doesn't exactly use the best of parts.

They are pretty good power supplies, and in reality you will probably have no problem with it. My E6600 rig with an 8800GS runs off one and it is doing fine.

I don't like Hiper power supplies anymore though. Like I said, I had mine fail twice, the first time it blew the whole breaker for my room. At first I though it was the breaker popping that caused the Hiper to die, but when I plugged the Hiper in outside of the machine hooked up to a power supply tester it popped the breaker again. Then I had to wait over a month for them to send me a replacement.

The second time went a little smoother, and the power supply didn't pop a breaker, but it still just died for no reason. Both times the power supply just died without warning while turned on, but the computer was idle. And both times the PSU ran for about 6 months before death.

You will probably be fine with it, even with a 9800GTX, but if I was you I would put it on my list of upgrades for the future.

The problem is that very few 8800GTS's will clock over 800MHz. My will only do 756/1890/1100(core/shader/mem) completely stable. I can jack up the clocks to speeds way beyond that and for the most part be just fine. It will complete a 3Dmark06 run at speeds very similar to your clocks and plays most games just fine. However, it fails ATITool's artifact scan, and Crysis will crash to desktop after a few minutes of play. Which means the clocks aren't totally stable. Getting over 800MHz is a rarity with the 8800GTS.

Huxley2k7 says thanks.
  23. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Any PSU that can churn out 500W continuous can run a 9800 GTX + <your OC here>.

24. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:

You're right, they do use Andyson (or Anderson?), and they are good on paper, but I'm afraid that on paper just doesn't cut it in the PSU world.

My Hiper lasted 6 months before degrading like nothing on earth. My old E4400 set up used to run perfectly at 3Ghz, then it got harder and harder to maintain 3Ghz, at first I thought it was the chip at fault. So I swapped everything out only to find I was having the same issues. So I replaced the Hiper with a Tagan and not had an issue since. I even temporarily borrowed my E4400 system back off my dad and it did 3.2Ghz with the Tagan.

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Newtekie and thanks all for your advice, helpful as always. I'll let you know what i go for, the price difference between the 9800 GTX and the 8800 GTS isn't a lot, but neither is the performance it seems. I'm leaning toward getting an 8800 GTS, but we'll see...

EDIT: While we're on the subject, what's the word on the street about PSU's? Who's dominating the best bang-for-buck deal in the PSU world these days?

10 Year Member at TPU