• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

antec fusion 430 + full size motherboard

G

g30rg1e

hi,

i have an antec fusion and by day its a media centre pc under the telly which the family all use... and by night i sit and game on it :)

i really like my case but have always been dissapointed with the matx board limitations (voltage droop and less stable overclocking)

I having been unable to find a replacement case i liked as much so i decided to chop a piece from the middle section to accomodate a bigger board and removed a bit to allow a longer grafix card... then lift up and rotate the psu, how hard could it be?

It was really easy so if you want greater flexability with motherboard choice and own this case here is what to do :)

the only thing i intend doing since modding the case is adding aditional holes in the bottom of the case near the psu so it can pull cooler air from outside the case as well.

thanks for looking, georgie :)

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
Lol, clever! Just need some fine tuning. Making the edges more smooth and such. But good idea dude!

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
quite good, only you cant use the lower slots but is not a critical failure ;)

System Name GaMEr / HTPC
Processor FX8320 4.5ghz so far NB- 2815mhz / X2 255 @ 3.2ghz (Temp till BD)
Motherboard 990FX-UD5 / GA-MA785GPMT-US2H
Cooling XSPC - 240rad 480rad 5 x 120mm out, 6 x 80mm in / H220-edge 1/2" & 2 x 120mm Magma
Memory 4gb PI 6,8,6,18 1T 1706mhz / 4gb Crucial D9's 1400 @ 6,6,6,18,1T
Video Card(s) 3gb HD7950 / Onboard
Storage 2 x 120gb Sandisk ultra plus 2tb WD / 60gb vertex 2 + 2 x 2tb WD Greens
Display(s) 3x24in Dell Ultra (portrait) / NEC 32" FullHD LCD
Case LL PC71A Full tower / Antec fusion black with Imon remote Modded for WC
Audio Device(s) OB / Auzentech cinema 7.1
Power Supply TT 700w TR2 / TT 600w Litepower modded with Noctua S12 fan.
Software 7 Ult / 7 premium x64
I just ordered that case, hopefully I will have it by the weekend, and I was wondering if it would be possible to fit a full size board in there... well done man, and like you say easy. ... :)

G

g30rg1e

thanks, i'm gonna clean the edges up with a file when im in there making holes in the base to improve the power supply air flow :)

realised the lower 3 slots were inacessible but it was more about board flexability and stability my asus p5e vm hdmi had done a good job but the voltage droop was very annoying :)

what would be interesting to find and im already looking, is a full atx with sli at the top end of the board.... ive already noticed some boards only have 6 slots and some 7 slots, but if i could find a board with the 7 slots and from the top it was pcie, other, pcie, other then i could get two double cards in and have some sli action. alternativley im considering removing the dvd drive and carraige and mounting some water cooling gear there just for the cards i should only need single slots then i think, but never tried it and unsure of the amount of cooling required. just ideas if i try any i will post a piccy :)

thanks georgie :)

IndieAce

Hi Guys,
I am new here, and I apologies for bumping this old thread, but I too am in the process of building a media server, and have purchased a Antec Fusion 430, and have acquired a ASROCK FM2A75 Pro4+ atx board, which I initially thought was a micro atx board.
Now obviously I realise this board wont fit, but was interested to see what g30rg1e did to achieve puting a full size board in - I mean I can see how it can be achieved, but would be interested if anyone has done this and if they had any issues or had to make improvements etc.

Many Thanks