1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W $49.99 Frys electronics

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by JC316, Sep 27, 2006.

1. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    That seems to be a pretty damn good deal. $49.99 out the door. Limited time only, till Friday.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    My SP-500 crapped out after roughly 7 months, taking my motherboard and memory with it :shadedshu . I'm currently in the process of shunning it until I find a proper way to dispose of it :laugh:. The only good part about this PSU dying thing is it gave me a good reason to upgrade to my current Gigabyte Nforce4 board, 1GB Mushkin, and TT 430W PSU. Much better :D.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a theme here! Mine went after only 3 months taking my motherboard and Graphics card with it! Whilst I appreciate Antec generally have a good name for mid range PSU's I can only go from my experience and I am staying well away from now on. Antec would replace it under warranty but as I had to covr the cost of shipping and they insisted it was insured it was not worth my while, they will never consider replacing the destroyed components when one of their PSU's under warranty blows!

Also I have gone back to a single rail, call me old fashioned but I would rather have all available power on tap rather than blow one rail whilst the other is only running at 50% capacity but lot's would disagree but again I have been "stung". Surprisingly, the only PSU's that have ever failed me are the decent ones, the cheap versions always do me fine, before I had the Antec I had the Hyper Type R 480W and that fried me as well.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of the warranty, don't try to get your PSU replaced, it's not happening :laugh:. If you read their terms for replacement, you can't RMA it for normal use :wtf:. I found this puzzling, and not wanting to deal with the authorities for RMA fraud, I went and bought a $40 TT. Works better then the Antec ever did, I love it :).

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I am having good experiences with my Antec (Knocks on wood). Possilby a bad batch got out? I had that happen with alternators for a 3.8L Thunderbird, I got three of em and they were all bad.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    i love my antec sp 500w 2.0 or whatever, and got it from fry's, for 50$ and then a 40$ mir. i say wait for this deal, it will be better again

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    some times we (i work at frys) the antec 500 or 550 neo HE for around 60-70 bucks.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Protius New Member

Thanks Received:
    mine also pooped out after i got my x1800xt

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    they also have a ultra 600 watt xfinity for $30 after rebat if you just need a crummy psu there you go its a little better than a beige or oem but not much ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats my point, the 1800xt especially when overclocked draws outrageous amounts of power, mine at stock on 2D settings it was drawing 9 Amps!!! now at 740/920 at full load I reckon it was hitting the maximum and more that one rail had when you take into account all your other bits.

10 Year Member at TPU