• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anti Aliasing doesn't work 2070 Super

Jefe

So 3DMark didn't look that bad. The metal bits on the submarines looked pretty bad and the plants looked kinda bad too. That being said the max resolution was 1200 x 790 or something. Which is pretty low for my pc.

Same goes for Heaven Benchmark, the metal bits looked pretty bad and the shadows were also constantly moving and looked bad

Though I should also mention the fact that after dealing with AA for so long I've started noticing it more and more in other games I didn't before, games not on pc too

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Its a known thing, being unable to 'unsee' or 'unhear' a specific thing that bothers us.

I will say, its not some strange Nvidia sauce and its not really different on the AMD side. What you're seeing is the culmination of different video settings either canceling each other out or supporting each other. With all the different ways to get settings done, its not always easy to get right. Additionally, games take more and more out of your hands that deny good AA, lots of post effects but also shadow and lightmaps, motion blur, chroma effects, etc etc. They all mess with pixel color and not everything is AA'ed in the same way. And amongst all of this, certainly some specific games will be looking different on different GPU brands. Or even generations of the same brand, as new features creep in.

Its what I was trying to tell earlier. Rendering is not perfect. Try to enjoy the game instead of counting pixels. The easy fix for that: don't crawl into your monitor, sit a good arm's length away from it. On most regular display diagonals that gives you the sweet spot for pixel density.

What diagonal is your 1440p?

Jefe

Its a known thing, being unable to 'unsee' or 'unhear' a specific thing that bothers us.

I will say, its not some strange Nvidia sauce and its not really different on the AMD side. What you're seeing is the culmination of different video settings either canceling each other out or supporting each other. With all the different ways to get settings done, its not always easy to get right. Additionally, games take more and more out of your hands that deny good AA, lots of post effects but also shadow and lightmaps, motion blur, chroma effects, etc etc. They all mess with pixel color and not everything is AA'ed in the same way. And amongst all of this, certainly some specific games will be looking different on different GPU brands. Or even generations of the same brand, as new features creep in.

Its what I was trying to tell earlier. Rendering is not perfect. Try to enjoy the game instead of counting pixels. The easy fix for that: don't crawl into your monitor, sit a good arm's length away from it. On most regular display diagonals that gives you the sweet spot for pixel density.

What diagonal is your 1440p?
Yeah see that's the thing. I don't control the fact of whether it bothers me or not. Ignoring it is pretty much impossible for me so trying to enjoy the game is kinda hard.
Don't mind having to put a bit of effort into making games look good, just don't know how.

My resolution is 2560 x 1440 (Although I have upscaled it to 3840 x 2160 using DSR). Never heard of diagnol resolution but according to this website mine is 2937.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Yeah see that's the thing. I don't control the fact of whether it bothers me or not. Ignoring it is pretty much impossible for me so trying to enjoy the game is kinda hard.
Don't mind having to put a bit of effort into making games look good, just don't know how.

My resolution is 2560 x 1440 (Although I have upscaled it to 3840 x 2160 using DSR). Never heard of diagnol resolution but according to this website mine is 2937.

No, that is exactly the thing - you DO control whether it bothers you. YOU are the one bothered :) Believing you don't control it, is fooling yourself. You controlled it because it annoyed you to begin with. You need to settle for something in your head, and then that's that.

You're upscaling to a resolution that doesn't match your display now, that is the worst possible way to go about it.

Do as you do... the info is there. You're on a path to madness, is all I can say. Case in point your choice of resolution on that monitor - its a bad ratio which will give you MORE aliasing by default. If you want to use DSR, use it as a supersampled mode, so 1:2 ratio, meaning you must render in '2880p' (5120 x 2880). Otherwise just don't touch it and run native.
Display diagonal, surely you know what it means and if you don't google it... 2937 is not it. Maybe this works: how many inches is it? If its 29 inches, then that is a pretty large size for 1440p. 27 inch is sort of sweet spot.

Last edited:

Jefe

No, that is exactly the thing - you DO control whether it bothers you. YOU are the one bothered :) Believing you don't control it, is fooling yourself. You controlled it because it annoyed you to begin with. You need to settle for something in your head, and then that's that.
Yeah I don't think the human brain works like that

Display diagonal, surely you know what it means and if you don't google it... 2937 is not it. Maybe this works: how many inches is it? If its 29 inches, then that is a pretty large size for 1440p. 27 inch is sort of sweet spot.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Yeah I don't think the human brain works like that

If you don't think it works like that, it won't. But then I'll cut it short for you: just stop right here. You will keep having your problem regardless.

Thát is how it works. You've already misjudged several examples here in terms of whether they do or don't have AA and whether they even can, and you've used settings that make the whole image worse / less accurate. It won't be getting better ;)

Reactions: bug
System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
I quit trying years ago. I've come to accept that modern games will always be jaggy and aliased.

But if you still wanna chase a fool's errand, here's some of my advice:
1) Use "enhance application settings" in Nvidia CP. Ofc the application will have the final say on the outcome. Override does jack shit.

2) Use higher than native render scaling if the game has it on the option. But do your research on the game. The numbers are not universal.

3) Use the blurry mess that is temporal AA in game (T-AA, TXAA, FXAA) then use image sharpening.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Heaven 4.0 works OK for me under Windows 10. You just need the 32-bit Visual C++ 2010 SP1 redistributable.