• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anti Aliasing doesn't work 2070 Super

Jefe

So this has been an issue for a long time now. My PC for some reason seems to be completely unable to have proper anti aliasing. I've made a bunch of posts about this on multiple sites with little to no luck. So I figured I'd try this one.
Because I've made posts about this before, I'll just copy one of them:
"So I've had my pc for almost a year. And I've been noticing white and black lines around objects more and more as time has gone on. Basically every game looks like crap now because of lines constantly moving around every object. . I've messed around with the control panel, even maxed out AA settings with little to no changes. I've reinstalled drivers with no result. Used a different monitor, which changed nothing and tried on a different resolution, which also changed nothing. I also got a new GPU (Went from a 1660 TI to a 2070 super) which did nothing either.

Video:
"

It's so bad that even games like Among Us have problems with it (Those shadows from the first map just look horrible). It makes most games I play a complete eye sore and it's made me not want to use this PC I dropped 2000 bucks for.
Does anyone know a fix?

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
Post system specs please..

That looks like a Depth of field error, are these games with Depth of field settings ?

Jefe

Post system specs please..

That looks like a Depth of field error, are these games with Depth of field settings ?
Not sure, don't think Borderlands 2 had DOF but I could be wrong.

I'll post my specs when I get home.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I honestly don't see anything strange in that video, there will always be some aliasing.

I also got a new GPU (Went from a 1660 TI to a 2070 super) which did nothing either.

Doesn't that confirm it's not the GPU ?

System Name Apex Raptor: Silverback
Processor Intel i9 13900KS 6.2GHz/Allcore5.9
Motherboard z790 Apex
Cooling LT720 360mm + Phanteks T30
Memory 32GB @8000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 PRO 2TB / Firecuda 530 2TB
Display(s) Neo G8 / C1 65"
Case Antec Performance 1
Audio Device(s) DT 1990 Pro / Motu M2
Power Supply Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w
Mouse Scimitar Pro
Keyboard K95 Platinum
Control panel AA doesn't work with most engines (fxaa excluded), I quit trying years ago. On top of that most engines use Deferred rendering nowdays, even if forcing MSAA worked it would produce extremely poor performance results as you'd have to do multiple passes for lighting on top of geometry and that just murders performance. It's why we have this rise of Temporal solutions everywhere, and when done right it actually looks better than plain old msaa.

So this has been an issue for a long time now...
Does anyone know a fix?
Jefe - it's not you, it's NVIDIA and how they do antialiasing since Fermi GPUs. Tesla II (GTX 285) were the last cards that did proper honest antialiasing. Now instead they're doing a mix between shader and ROP AA and yeah, even at 8x it looks like not anti-aliased many times (while on Radeons you set it to 4xAA (adaptive), 8x or 16 AF and forget it). It took me quite a while to test it out and find a fix when I switched from ATI/AMD Radeons (originators of really swell gamma-correct AA) to GTX 970 etc.
There is a solution - open up NV Control panel, set everything to defaults + Apply, then change only these (I've advised a friend of mine with a GTX 1080 and he was quite happy with these settings):
Anisotropic filtering ----> set to 16x,
Antialiasing - Gamma Correction ----> set to OFF (here's where NV really fails since Fermi compared to ATI/AMD, I guess ATI/AMD hand-calibrates how much gamma per game or something),
Antialiasing - Mode ----> set to Override any application settings,
Antialiasing - Setting ----> set to 8x (8x behaves as having gamma correction of 4xAA on ATI/AMD),
Antialiasing - Transparency ----> set to 8x (Supersample) <---- now this is a setting nvidia really perfected, my classics never looked better and it's not too speed decreasing either.
(Edit - I forgot: you can also set Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation to OFF for smoother AF filtering transitions but not strictly necessary...)

That is it! 4 settings (8xAA, 16xAF, Gamma OFF, Tril. opt. OFF) really that make GTX's output look quite acceptable. If everything else fails, at least disable Gamma Correction in NV Control Panel and choose 8x/16x through game settings.
Enjoy!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Jefe - it's not you, it's NVIDIA and how they do antialiasing since Fermi GPUs. Tesla II (GTX 285) were the last cards that did proper honest antialiasing. Now instead they're doing a mix between shader and ROP AA and yeah, even at 8x it looks like not anti-aliased many times (while on Radeons you set it to 4xAA (adaptive), 8x or 16 AF and forget it). It took me quite a while to test it out and find a fix when I switched from ATI/AMD Radeons (originators of really swell gamma-correct AA) to GTX 970 etc.
There is a solution - open up NV Control panel, set everything to defaults + Apply, then change only these (I've advised a friend of mine with a GTX 1080 and he was quite happy with these settings):
Antialiasing - Gamma Correction ----> set to OFF (here's where NV really fails since Fermi compared to ATI/AMD, I guess ATI/AMD hand-calibrates how much gamma per game or something),
Antialiasing - Setting ----> set to 8x (8x behaves as having gamma correction of 4xAA on ATI/AMD),
Antialiasing - Transparency ----> set to 8x (Supersample) <---- now this is a setting nvidia really perfected, my classics never looked better and it's not too speed decreasing either.
(Edit - I forgot: you can also set Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation to OFF for smoother AF filtering transitions but not strictly necessary...)

That is it! 4 settings (8xAA, 16xAF, Gamma OFF, Tril. opt. OFF) really that make GTX's output look quite acceptable. If everything else fails, at least disable Gamma Correction in NV Control Panel and choose 8x/16x through game settings.
Enjoy!

Amen to this setup. I always use 16AF and Gamma Correction off. The 8X SSAA is not absolutely necessary but the former will at least bring the basics to where they need to be. You can then play around with whatever AA each game likes best. Its possible the 8xAA on NVCP is the one, but really doesn't have to be. Some TxA versions tend to do a pretty good job as well, and some games can even do perfect with something as light as FXAA (yep... it does happen, and I really dislike blurfest).

As for your examples @OP: be sure to make the distinction between bad quality and just, quite simply, limitations of games and rendering. Perfection is not guaranteed and generally not possible. That BL3 example is one of them. Unlikely to improve much.

Jefe

Enjoy!
I tried these settings and they didn't really do much for me. I appreciate the effort, though.
Guess I'll be looking into getting an AMD then.

Wow. To be honest I didn't expect you wouldn't find these settings enough, although it's easily believable. Since you still have the card you could try besides these 4 also to set
Texture filtering - Quality ----> to High_Quality, beyond that there are some things yet to do with nvProfileInspector, but they don't do much more than High Quality.
If you would, please also try High Quality, because I'm curious what you will say.
If this doesn't work, yeah, AMD/ATI is the better way, nvidia has just so much more different way of doing things as it would appear.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Enjoy!

holy crap, I had no idea about any of that lmao

wow. I think I might give this a shot. though I am leaning towards getting big navi oct 28th so this may not apply to me soon

It's a big can of worms I tells ya. :laugh:
Seriously though - please test the settings, I'm curious what you'll say.

Jefe

It's a big can of worms I tells ya. :laugh:
Seriously though - please test the settings, I'm curious what you'll say.
Tried it, not really much of a difference, it's like AA doesn't even work.
Granted not every game looks horrible, Warframe for example looks pretty good. But other games look identical to the way games on my laptop look, which is to say no real anti aliasing at all.

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
What size and res is your monitor? from your video you are zoomed in quite a bit so you'll notice aliasing more doing that than when you're looking at it from a normal distance, though if you have a large(ish) 27" + screen at 1080p then aliasing and pixels are going to be more apparent than on a say 24" screen at 1080p

Jefe

What size and res is your monitor? from your video you are zoomed in quite a bit so you'll notice aliasing more doing that than when you're looking at it from a normal distance, though if you have a large(ish) 27" + screen at 1080p then aliasing and pixels are going to be more apparent than on a say 24" screen at 1080p
That was my old monitor in the video, which was a 1920 x 1080. Current one I have is 1440p one.

Well that's odd. That video you posted in original post looks AA-ed.
Do you perhaps have your monitor/screen set too bright? Most of them are way too bright out of factory. Well it depends really how bright the surroundings/background is.
Monitor and background should always be of the same brightness to not strain the eyes.

Last edited:

Jefe

Well that's odd. That video you posted in original post looks AA-ed.
Do you perhaps have your monitor/screen set too bright? Most of them are way too bright out of factory. Well it depends really how bright the surroundings/background is.
Monitor and background should always be of the same brightness to not strain the eyes.
Brightness seems fine as far as I know

And there I was quite confident that gamma->OFF detail would fix your woes. I gather your GTX 1660 Ti was also as bad as 2070 - what graphics card did you use before 1660 Ti?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
And there I was quite confident that gamma->OFF detail would fix your woes. I gather your GTX 1660 Ti was also as bad as 2070 - what graphics card did you use before 1660 Ti?
Gamma doesn't usually so much, but transparency AA does.

@Jefe Not only is that video way to compressed to tell anything about AA, the game itself doesn't look like a good pick to showcase AA either. The images are a bit better, but only the first shows potential AA issue with the stairs. The one with the cave(?) looks more like rendering artifacts and the other is the same game as the video (still can't tell anything).
When you say you maxxed out AA in control panel, did you also set AA mode to override or enhance application settings? Also, AA settings are useless for games that do AA using shaders, I think you need to disable in-game AA for those.

Jefe

Gamma doesn't usually so much, but transparency AA does.

@Jefe Not only is that video way to compressed to tell anything about AA, the game itself doesn't look like a good pick to showcase AA either. The images are a bit better, but only the first shows potential AA issue with the stairs. The one with the cave(?) looks more like rendering artifacts and the other is the same game as the video (still can't tell anything).
When you say you maxxed out AA in control panel, did you also set AA mode to override or enhance application settings? Also, AA settings are useless for games that do AA using shaders, I think you need to disable in-game AA for those.
I tried both, never really noticed a difference between them.

This is my first gaming PC so none.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Enhance and override
I don't think the difference would be apparent to the naked eye.
Anyway, have you tried AA on something like 3DMark? It's got to work with that.

Jefe

I don't think the difference would be apparent to the naked eye.
Anyway, have you tried AA on something like 3DMark? It's got to work with that.
I've never heard of it before but saw it costs money. What does it do?

Just go to the bottom of the page and in the "Unsupported benchmarks" click on "Legacy benchmarks", they are free now and good to test AA with. It looks like a game but with many different tests.

Jefe

Just go to the bottom of the page and in the "Unsupported benchmarks" click on "Legacy benchmarks", they are free now and good to test AA with. It looks like a game but with many different tests.
Really late reply but real life kinda catched up. I downloaded one version but I couldn't run it. None of them are for Windows 10