• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any CPU mining worth the cost of electricity? What about Helium and Helium miners?

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Old Xeons or Opterons might be worth it since they cost next to nothing, but they guzzle power and in terms of hasrate/power ratio they might not be worth using.

Yeah. It wasn't thrilling having to have an account with them at all frankly, but I wanted to see where Helium goes. It's sort of a "one and done" account tbh.

What I had to do to get an account:

Take a photo of my state ID front and back.

Submit a selfie to ensure it matched ID.

Use my phones depth sensor to confirm it was a real face and not a photo (could not upload a simple image of myself, had to be a selfie from a phone with a depth sensor).

Submit a pdf bank statement with proof of residence (address on it, essentially).

By the time it was done I just wanted to go to sleep.

I trust them enough to know they are not going to sell my details but damn, where do I put my drop of blood? I was ready at that point.
They are similar to bank so they have to know that. It's not really that much. If you ever cared to open stock broker or other investment account, it can be a lot worse. I never finished my Interactive Brokers account setup, because I was really confused and lacked blood to complete it. They won't ask for blood, they will ask you a million questions about your blood, when you are bleeding out.

So no photos of the setup because that will come later, but fun fact: new "curved screen" android phones seem to currently have an issue with the Helium app where you cannot press the button to tell the miner where to send your payout. Pretty amazing.

Fortunately, I had an old Iphone SE and was able to complete setup with that. But yeah, that was a serious rough edge that almost ended this before it began.
Now THAT'S a weird glitch! Are the app devs aware of the problem?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Now THAT'S a weird glitch! Are the app devs aware of the problem?
I'm fairly certain they are. Looking at play store reviews it apparently happened during the last UI overhaul. I would not expect it to be a bug that floats around long, but still a disconcerting place to mess up.

They have to be aware because it's tanked their app rating bad (from a decent 4 to a 2.0).