• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any free 12GB+ RAMdisk? I can only find 4GB ones.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I have 32GB of RAM for the first time in my life, just want to see if I like a RAMdisk or not... would prefer it do stuff for me automatically, like load up Chrome in it upon boot, etc.

Does anyone know how to do this or a good program for it?

Software ramdisk is bad, knowing that the moment reset or powerloss takes place, the ramdisk contents is gone.

https://www.google.nl/?ion=1&espv=2#q=software+ramdisk+free

Gigabyte used to release a product that you could actually install DIMMS onto it and use it as a practical bootdisk. However, that version was limited to only 4GB, and later revisions offered some more space. They would carry a battery to save contents to.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Software ramdisk is bad, knowing that the moment reset or powerloss takes place, the ramdisk contents is gone.

https://www.google.nl/?ion=1&espv=2#q=software+ramdisk+free

Gigabyte used to release a product that you could actually install DIMMS onto it and use it as a practical bootdisk. However, that version was limited to only 4GB, and later revisions offered some more space. They would carry a battery to save contents to.

Most ramdisk software offers to write to disk on shutdown.

Software ramdisk performance wise, is quite good. But you're in an area of diminishing returns with todays SSDs. Are you really going to feel much difference between 500MB/s and 20000MB/s? Certainly not as much as you'd think.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
asrock has a free program that allows usage of more than 4Gb's, iirc you need to have an Asrock MoBo, but since your specs arent filled in i cant sauy if you do or dont, so heres the link anyway...

http://www.asrock.com/Feature/xfast/xfastram/index.asp

and the Asrock one Does write to disk on shut down if you choose for it to do so.
if you own an SSD its a waste of time tho, ive been there and done it.

I have been using SoftPerfect RAM Disk, it has no limits.

Software ramdisk performance wise, is quite good. But you're in an area of diminishing returns with todays SSDs. Are you really going to feel much difference between 500MB/s and 20000MB/s? Certainly not as much as you'd think.
I tried running a VM loaded in RAMdisk and it was a lot faster than SSD. SSD still has higher latency and SSD eventually gets fragmented although it is still a lot faster than HDD in its fragmented state. There is also endurance to consider, if you are working with a few GBs of files and are writing a lot it might be a good idea to use RAMdisk because SSDs have a very low endurance that is considering the max endurance is still higher than the advertised one. I am lucky mine has 600 TBW endurance.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
I have 32GB of RAM for the first time in my life, just want to see if I like a RAMdisk or not... would prefer it do stuff for me automatically, like load up Chrome in it upon boot, etc.

Does anyone know how to do this or a good program for it?

Well, essentially you just need a RAM disk drive, then you can use other tools or batch files to orchestrate how things work through that.