• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any good 6TB - 8tb hard drives for gaming PC storage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejans

I'm sick of running out / worrying about diskspace. What's a good 6TB- 8Tb hard drive specifically for a dedicated gaming PC?

I've been running SSDs but I like to keep/try lots of games and I'm always running out of space, then adding SSDs and having to manage install locations, worry about updates, etc. I know some people use an SSD for some games, and then a hdd for the less important games, but I don't think I want to manage installs anymore, I'd rather just let everything install with default settings automatically.

What is the difference between the WD Colours – Blue, Red, Black, Green, Purple?
from all these 4 which can be used for gaming? what filmware has the red, blue, black and purple?
the filmware of red, blue, and purple? and black is for gaming?

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
how much space do you need ?
hdds are always going to be slow compared to ssds,even the fastest 7200rpm ones.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
HGST or Toshiba drives are absolutely awesome.

WD blue are like 'every day' drives - just your average home user affair.
WD Red are usually for RAID or NAS applications but you can use them in a PC no problem. max speed is 5400rpm
WD Black are their super performance drives - they are as fast as a hard drive can go but are loud, power hungry and put out a lot of heat.
WD Green are low power and speed drives - These are normally placed in external USB cases and used as secondary drives for non critical stuff that doesnt require a lot of speed. Due to their nature they 'power down' and have this energy saving mode that puts the drive into sort of a 'sleep mode' till its accessed again.
WD Purple are for things like CCTV and the like - situations where youre writing to the drive 24/7 365 so they are built for maximum reliability.

If for games you want WD Black but a 7200rpm blue will suffice but it just wont be as fast.

Though with hard drive technology over the years. WD Black drives have suffered from a lot of power creep. There are drives available that make use of bigger platters so can access data faster or just as fast as WD Black drives and this has been happening past the last 5-10years now.

Warranty varies on all of the drives - the blue and greens will only come with one or two year warranty while the others can have upto 6 or 7 years warranty.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm sick of running out / worrying about diskspace. What's a good 6TB- 8Tb hard drive specifically for a dedicated gaming PC?

I've been running SSDs but I like to keep/try lots of games and I'm always running out of space, then adding SSDs and having to manage install locations, worry about updates, etc. I know some people use an SSD for some games, and then a hdd for the less important games, but I don't think I want to manage installs anymore, I'd rather just let everything install with default settings automatically.

I'm like you. I store all my games on a HDD because I hate managing install locations and moving games back and forth. Though I only need a 3TB right now. Though with just my Steam folder taking 1.25TB, and all my other games, I'll be upgrading to something bigger soon.

I would suggest you look into a piece of software called PrimoCache. It allows you to use an SSD as a cache for a large hard drive. That way, you're most played games, cache onto the SSD, and it is really like they are running off an SSD instead of a HDD. And if you lose interest in a game and start playing a new game, the cache updates after you play the new game once or twice and that new game gets the benefit of running off the SSD without you having to do anything.

What is the difference between the WD Colours – Blue, Red, Black, Green, Purple?
from all these 4 which can be used for gaming? what filmware has the red, blue, black and purple?

Ok, so this is hard because it has changed over the years but here is what it is currently AFAIK:

Blue: Slow 5400RPM drives meant for low power and storage. Avoid these, they're slow and in my experience tend to be unreliable.
Red: NAS drives with special firmware to enable TLER so the drives work well in RAID. But they are still slow 5400RPM.
Red Pro: NAS drives with special firmware to enable TLER so the drives work will in RAID. But these run at 7200RPM, so their faster.
Black: The high performance desktop drives. These are probably the ones you want for your purpose.
Green: AFAIK, these aren't made anymore. They were slow 5400RPM drives meant for low power storage, but the Blue drives transformed into that role and the greens were discontinued(or maybe the Greens were just rebranded as Blues and the old Blues were discontinued).
Purple: These are meant for surveillance(camera) systems. I'm not sure how much they differ from the Blue drives other than maybe a special firmware to prevent head parking.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
baracuda pro are faster from black drives?
also do you believe that WD Black drives have suffered from a lot of power creep. ?
also for gaming which is better black drives or blue drives? or baracuda pro drives?

Black Drives and Baracuda Pro drives occupy approximately the same market segment, and fill approximately the same role performance wise. It's a brand preference thing.

Blue drives tend to be cheaper/slower than the above.

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
really,all you need is a backup drive.
all clients support backup
gog,origin,uplay,blizzard,steam - you just move the folder and find the installation
I use 2tb of ssds and 4tbs of hdds,whenever I feel like playing sth I just move it to a ssd

as far as your original question,the new seagate high capacity lines are the fastest

aviod toshiba.I've got p300 myself - it's slower and louder than my old ass 1tb barracuda,and the spin up time is just ridiculously long.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm like you. I store all my games on a HDD because I hate managing install locations and moving games back and forth. Though I only need a 3TB right now. Though with just my Steam folder taking 1.25TB, and all my other games, I'll be upgrading to something bigger soon.

I would suggest you look into a piece of software called PrimoCache. It allows you to use an SSD as a cache for a large hard drive. That way, you're most played games, cache onto the SSD, and it is really like they are running off an SSD instead of a HDD. And if you lose interest in a game and start playing a new game, the cache updates after you play the new game once or twice and that new game gets the benefit of running off the SSD without you having to do anything.

Ok, so this is hard because it has changed over the years but here is what it is currently AFAIK:

Blue: Slow 5400RPM drives meant for low power and storage. Avoid these, they're slow and in my experience tend to be unreliable.
Red: NAS drives with special firmware to enable TLER so the drives work well in RAID. But they are still slow 5400RPM.
Red Pro: NAS drives with special firmware to enable TLER so the drives work will in RAID. But these run at 7200RPM, so their faster.
Black: The high performance desktop drives. These are probably the ones you want for your purpose.
Green: AFAIK, these aren't made anymore. They were slow 5400RPM drives meant for low power storage, but the Blue drives transformed into that role and the greens were discontinued(or maybe the Greens were just rebranded as Blues and the old Blues were discontinued).
Purple: These are meant for surveillance(camera) systems. I'm not sure how much they differ from the Blue drives other than maybe a special firmware to prevent head parking.

WD has 7200RPM Blue drives afaik WD10EZEX & WD5000AZLX though youre right. Most of the blue line up are 5400rpm

The 6TB one is 5400RPM though So i suppose youre right in a sense.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Just a suggestion:
If simply needing a drive for backup/archivial use but not expecting to have it in use all the time you may want to look at an external drive instead.
If so, be sure to get one that you can switch on and off whenever you want, that will save wear on the drive and the power needed for it to run for times when you don't want it "On".

The ones I have have a switch I simply turn on or off as I need and because they remain hooked to the PC I can access these anytime I want with a simple flick of the switch.
Another good thing about these is when you power it on the system automatically mounts it and to dismount/eject...... Just turn the powerswitch back off - Done.

Yet another good thing is as long as it's powered down a bug can't get in which could possibly save all the files on it if you happen to get hit with such. I use mine to archive everything I want backed up in some form.
Of course you can just leave it on too and use it that way as if it were an internal drive.
Downside is the interface they use, normally USB but there are different ones with different interface configs - You'd have to look them over to see what has what and if one in the size you need has the interface you use.

I've had good luck with Fantom drives, have one that's close to ten years old now with two more alongside it and yes, you can get them in the size you are asking for.
Example of what I have: https://www.newegg.com/black-fantom-drives-g-force-8tb/p/N82E16822204151
Not all of mine are exactly the same in size or interface but they all have the USB interface which is what I use.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
what you mean when you say that WD Black drives have suffered from a lot of power creep. ?

Im saying that WDs claim of their Black line of hard drives being the 'fastest on the planet' are very dated. There are 3TB Toshiba and HGST hard drives with better technology that run as fast or faster than the WD blacks because the increase in platter size.

So youre paying a premium on what WD claims to be gold dust but other manufacturers have come up with a more refined gold dust that has a higher percentage of gold per gram and selling it for less.

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Just a suggestion:
If simply needing a drive for backup/archivial use but not expecting to have it in use all the time you may want to look at an external drive instead.
If so, be sure to get one that you can switch on and off whenever you want, that will save wear on the drive and the power needed for it to run for times when you don't want it "On".

The ones I have have a switch I simply turn on or off as I need and because they remain hooked to the PC I can access these anytime I want with a simple flick of the switch.
Another good thing about these is when you power it on the system automatically mounts it and to dismount/eject...... Just turn the powerswitch back off - Done.

Yet another good thing is as long as it's powered down a bug can't get in which could possibly save all the files on it if you happen to get hit with such. I use mine to archive everything I want backed up in some form.
Of course you can just leave it on too and use it that way as if it were an internal drive.
Downside is the interface they use, normally USB but there are different ones with different interface configs - You'd have to look them over to see what has what and if one in the size you need has the interface you use.

I've had good luck with Fantom drives, have one that's close to ten years old now with two more alongside it and yes, you can get them in the size you are asking for.
or get a docking station.best thing ever.
Im saying that WDs claim of their Black line of hard drives being the 'fastest on the planet' are very dated. There are 3TB Toshiba and HGST hard drives with better technology that run as fast or faster than the WD blacks because the increase in platter size.
ironwolf,barracuda pro,skyhawk,red/red pro,hgst he - all better choices than wd black

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
That'll work too. :cool:
However they want to go, it's all up to the OP of course.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
you dont believe that baracuda pro and blacks are the fastest drives for gaming?

Every manufacturer will claim that their products are the best. Read some reviews and decide for yourself

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
what freedom said is pretty much all that matters,platter size.

do note that even the crappiest planar tlc drives read and access data at speeds that are impossible for hdds.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Cache size of a platter style drive matters too if going with those.
The more the merrier.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
You seem to be tunnel visioned on WD or Seagate - so just flip a coin for which ever and call it a day.

Ive mentioned Toshiba and HGST multiple times with 3TB drives outperforming or performing close to WD black drives because of bigger platters but you seem to ignore it.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
For gaming a WD Black is fine. Splitting hairs is what is happening here.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
For gaming a WD Black is fine. Splitting hairs is what is happening here.
yep... not going to notice much difference between 7200rpm hdds and gaming. Don't go down a rabbit hole.

Toshiba, host, wd, Seagate....choose your poison..

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)

For gaming purposes you want a black. They have the largest cache and fastest speeds among WD drives. I still don’t have a single game on SSD, because of the size versus cost factor. It doesnt really affect my gaming experience negatively at all.

They are the most power hungry, but even that is minimal as far as system components go. My blacks run pretty cool, staying in the 30’s when under use, and I rarely hear them.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
why blacks are the most power hungry?

what you mean when you say that blacks are the most power hungry?

They use the most power and put out the most heat. But overall, when you consider how much power a gaming computer uses, any hard drive uses a tiny amount of power compared to the other components.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Well the reds and blues are tailored toward power efficiency and thus run slower and quieter. Honestly, its only a few watts difference.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
the filmwares from blacks and baracudas pro can be updated?

The firmware on all of them can be updated, if the manufacturer thinks there is a big enough of a problem with the drive to release an update.

D

Deleted member 158293

HGST 7200 NAS drives are absolutely fantastic for desktop use, which is what I use in my rigs. Unfortunately WD discontinued them after buying them out and they are getting hard to find.

Since then I've started migrating to Seagate Ironwolf 7200 drives, I like the extra build quality of their NAS drives.

Too many past issues with WD Blacks for me.

D

Deleted member 158293

what you mean Too many post issues with WD Blacks?
what problems have blacks?

Ninja'd... ;) .. I meant "past" issues. I might just be unlucky, but 2 out of 3 WD Blacks dead in under 5 years. I now just go for NAS class drives everywhere, seem to be very reliable so far.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Sorry guys, it's our little Greek friend asking the same questions for 9 months with his 104th alias, closing the bar early sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.