1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any of you all thinking of upgrading to Trheadripper ?.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ebo, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Ebo

Ebo

Thanks Received:
    My current pc holds a I7-5820K and X99 chipset which Im quite happy with, or should I say just a little bored with since the "itch" is starting to set in.

I've had this pc for 2 years now, so actually its about time to upgrade again....I mean in with the new and out with the old.
    My current pc can do all that i bourght it for, without any hassle.....but then again...the "itch" keeps comming back almost every day atm.
    Of course I wanna see some tests and can it do what I expect, blowing Intels offerings out of the water at a better pricetag......well then I think Im going to do it.

My current pc will be given away for free to our youth house for troubbled kids which I have done with the last 6 pc's ive built and they have quite a gamingroom now with 22 pc's which all is donated.

All I need to do it to convince my wife that its a good idea.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    I don't start itching until I move past the 3 year mark - but even then, there has to be something I wish my current system would do before I think about going with an entire new system. But you still seem quite happy with yours, so not sure what to suggest.

I would argue, if not for the cost factor, you are not going to find an AMD that will blow Intel's offerings out of the water. Again, if you have a big enough budget.

The only thing that makes me say go for it is the donation part. I commend you for that. We do the same thing here and it's good for a nice warm fuzzy! :)

Vario and Ebo say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. therealmeep

therealmeep

Thanks Received:
    Unless they release threadripper at an insane price point to where buying something like a 1700/1800x seems ridiculous its probably not worth it. It seems like you have sorted out where you want your current rig to go so selling it seems out of the question, so I'd say unless there is a crazy deal sorta thing hang on to your 5820.

4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Well, first of all, I'm not really in a position to spend that kind of money in the immediate future. However, if I were, I'd wait to see what Intel offers, as I suspect that their CPUs are gonna have better IPC again and the only metric that really matters to me is gaming performance. It could well be that Intel's next gen i7 will be the one to get for me, since the HEDT platform doesn't necessarily perform any better in games. I read in one of these news articles the other day that IPC is rumoured to improve by around 30% which will be a killer improvement for me and once again eclipse AMD. Roll on Ryzen v2...

That's seriously generous of you. :toast: It's more than I would give.

5. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    Im with ya! 5820K and X99 as well. Very interested in TR

gdallsk and Ebo say thanks.
  6. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Yep

7. Aenra

Aenra

Thanks Received:
    @Ebo wait until next year.. better R7s incoming, plus with a bit of luck, a newer ite/gene-ration of R9s.

Don't do it now :)

Ebo says thanks.
  8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    With the prices unknown for now, I will most likely move up next year...

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    would wait for reviews... never know if the quad memory will help it at all.

10. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Even Ryzen 7 would be overkill for me.

Vario says thanks.
  11. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    Do note if the organization you give it to is a church or registered non-profit, you can write off the donation on your taxes claiming the fair market value of the computer. ;)

Edit comment: Changed right to write.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm... interesting. I'm sure it's more altruistic in this case though. :)

13. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I think it's hilarious to see all the "gamers" who think they want or need Threadripper, and they all insist it's going to "rip Intel a new one", the same people who insist that Ryzen "blows Intel away". Threadripper is a workstation platform, period. Content creators on a budget may benefit, others need not apply. Intel still runs circles around anything AMD can offer, as always, at a higher price, as always, and that's as it should be.

Vya Domus and Vario say thanks.
  14. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    I was with you until "that's as it should be." Ummm.... no. Competition is a good thing, in all areas.

It also hasn't been true historically speaking, so "always" is being misused.

Vario, IceScreamer and Kursah say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Meh, maybe hes young and only really remembers conroe+ from 10 years ago. Its been that long anyway. :p

Being more serious though, i have to agree as well. Unrelated...ish...so few people need it, but so many people want it.

R-T-B says thanks.
  16. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    I have GREAT needs for it. 16 core 32 threads means I can finally do all the work in lab instead of waiting in queue for my stuff to be processed on HPC.

I mean yeah i can try to get a BW-EP from ebay that has 20cores 40 threads for my "old" X99, but it is probably gonna cost the same as TR CPU plus MoBo.

17. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I only say that because you should always expect to pay more for a product that performs better than a competing product, not that Intel's superiority is necessarily "as it should be", just their prices. When I say that Intel has always been better, what I mean is; in the 47 years they have both been in business, Intel's CPUs were faster in at least 40 of those years (1999-2003 AMD was beating Pentium IIIs with Athlon). It's been 14 years since then, excuse me for generalizing. So I guess I should say, "90% of the time, Intel is faster".

R-T-B and EarthDog say thanks.
  18. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Ill have a look at Threadripper but nothing definite until its reviewed.

Ebo and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  19. Mr.Scott

Mr.Scott

Thanks Received:
    You left out 2003-2006 when A64's were spanking Netburst.
    So like......75%.

Vya Domus, biffzinker, Vario and 2 others say thanks.
  20. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    I read it differently, my apologies. That's valid, at least if you accept Mr. Scott's equally valid caveat.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    I'll look and read about it but IMHO unless you're maxing out your current chip there is no need to upgrade.

Jhelms says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Divide Overflow

Divide Overflow

Thanks Received:
    Not the right tool for my home office and gaming needs. I'll pass but respect it's potential for heavier multi-threaded demands.

23. systemBuilder New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been toying with the idea of building a "home supercomputer" for the past 3 years ... It would be fun to be able to explore ray-tracing / rendering or to join compute-intensive online projects (Fight Aids at Home, anyone?) Or maybe just rebuild the Linux kernel less than 5 minutes or start an e-commerce website ...

I'd like to see if it's possible to connect 3 screens and keyboards and mice to it, just so we can extract value from the machine. I imagine that there will be combo sales on motherboard + cpu (16 cores, entry-level + X399 motherboard) for $1099, so it would be perhaps possible to build a decent GTX1080 machine in the low $2000's, you'd probably want a small RAID just to do the machine justice ...

Vario says thanks.
  24. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    To be honest Yes I am thinking about my next major upgrade to be on a Threadripper platform for future proofing. But I will be waiting for version 2 of this, so hopefully late next yr will be it depending on what comes out and prices. Otherwise Ill just jump onto AM4 With Zen 2.0.

25. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    Very generous from you to give such a powerful PC. A few years ago I did give away for free a complete PC to one very poor family, but that PC was 7-8 years old at the moment and I couldn't sell it as a whole system.

Nevertheless, your i7 5820K-based system is still quite a powerful machine whose power will be more than enough for the next 4-5 years. If you upgrade to 32 GB RAM and more powerful GPU in a year or two - you'll be golden up to at least 2023.

Whether it's a good idea to upgrade to Ryzen Threadripper primarily depends on your needs. If you are a professional video or image editor, it would make some sense. If you are a gamer, it would make 0 sense. Besides that, it also depends on someone's finances. For upper-middle class individuals who have net income of 2500 € a month or more, I'd say go for it if there's some unexplainable need.

Vario and EarthDog say thanks.