• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any update about the broadband privacy issue?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
You missed the point , they are tracking your information but without giving a crap it's from 'you'. And they will do it regardless , to them you are just a click somewhere on a website and they can track that no matter how many regulations there are and how many VPN's you use, because it's something external. This issue to me simply dose not exist.

If you do not want to have your activity tracked then I am afraid that you might want to stop using the internet because as far as I am aware it is and has always been a bi-directional flow of data , otherwise it doesn't work :).

I am pissed that attention is drawn to things that just do not matter and have nothing to do with the true privacy concerns.

No I'm well aware of the ambiguous nature of what information they collect and who it comes from. But I still don't like someone tracking my activity or gathering information so they can target ads at me( or for ANY reason @ all). Whether it's been going on for a long time or not it doesn't make it right in my eyes and I'm certainly not going to allow it to affect my day-to-day life. But I'm also not comfortable with it. Many people have many different opinions on things ,as an American my privacy , My freedom of both speech and way of life as well as ideals are all things I hold very dear. this general attitude people tend to adopt that "it's too difficult and so we shouldn't bother being upset about it/ fighting it" is the kind of attitude that stops progression.

Also don't get me wrong I respect your opinion as well it's just not what I happen to believe.

With that said, I digress. This thread is not the place for this type of discussion imo. And I'm not comfortable having it here

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
No I'm well aware of the ambiguous nature of what information they collect and who it comes from. But I still don't like someone tracking my activity or gathering information so they can target ads at me( or for ANY reason @ all). Whether it's been going on for a long time or not it doesn't make it right in my eyes and I'm certainly not going to allow it to affect my day-to-day life. But I'm also not comfortable with it. Many people have many different opinions on things ,as an American my privacy , My freedom of both speech and way of life as well as ideals are all things I hold very dear. this general attitude people tend to adopt that "it's too difficult and so we shouldn't bother being upset about it/ fighting it" is the kind of attitude that stops progression.

Also don't get me wrong I respect your opinion as well it's just not what I happen to believe.

With that said, I digress. This thread is not the place for this type of discussion imo. And I'm not comfortable having it here

Well I am glad you understand the inner workings of this problematic , most people don't , I guess that's what I really don't like. They are convinced it's the elite spying on them for occult purposes or some other crap far from reality. :)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It's all about that data mining! That's been big business for years now.

VPN's don't matter if you're using accounts while browsing, but it can screw with regional focused ads and data procurement. But the data they want, they'll get from memberships and have been for decades. That POTS phone service you had in the 90's? How about that long distance call package? Cable TV service? Car insurance? Medical insurance? Any kind of insurance? Discount cards? Amazon membership? eBay membership? Any and all of it creates data that is stored, sold, mined, and concatenated into further sellable packages to tune what is advertised to you and me in order to make us take the bait and buy more.

Well that's the marketable side of it, there's other sides of data mining that are malicious, threat rating, copyright infringement charging, etc. It's just a big market that had its potential bottleneck removed before it really had a chance to do anything.

Regardless, what we do, what we spend, how we do it, when we do it, etc... is all easily and openly available... I have no qualms against making that more of a pain in the ass for them to obtain. But even if you use a VPN, and you go login to Amazon and buy shit, guess what? There's still data to mine in what you purchased, what ads you clicked on, what stuff you looked at on Amazon before buying. Did you pay your bills? Well that is still trackable, to you. There are places where an encrypted connection can help, and places where it makes no difference.

I do agree with @R-T-B , it all matters, it is all relevant on varying levels. Some of the most important choices were made before many of us realized or were old enough to realize there was a decision to be made.

We as a society failed on this aspect and it all comes down to one word: convenience.....

The things we do for the sake of convenience is disgusting...and I'm as guilty as anyone else is...but the more you find out, the worse the realization gets.
That sounds seriously scary and you put it really well. Basically, you're gonna get tracked whatever you do, but we don't have to hand it to them on a plate.

The worst part as far as I can see, is the potential for identity theft and the threat of extortion from Big Copyright, even if you've not actually shared anything, ever.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Because of literature predicting the future with mass governmental surveillance, the term " Orwellian " was coined to describe his take on a totalitarian world.

Because of the nature of this data mining and what it will be used for ( targeted ads etc. etc. )in modern times, I think a fitting nomenclature would be "neilsonian"? ( for those of you who are aware of what Nielsen ratings are). Seems fitting.not great, but fitting ;)

Last edited: