• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone else feel there's something missing from today's games?

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
I was just thinking about how all the games i play today, some are very fun, but none of them seem to grip me like games i played say 10 years ago. Maybe it's because, just like movies, 99% of what can be done in a game plot wise and mechanics wise has already been done.

I'm a young guy, only 22, but i feel the biggest thing that has ruined much gameplay is the internet. I remember playing games and not having a damn clue about some, x3 reunion when it first came out and i had to go to a buddies to get the patches. Now almost all my old gaming buddies just look up the answer on forums or w/e. I myself am guilty of it, but man do i miss the days when myself and a friend would talk about a game where we ourselves had to actually figure out the game, and the thrill of progressing by thinking through it instead of "reading" through it online.

What about you all? what do you feel is missing from today's games.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I miss a lot of oldschool gaming mechanics. That is why I play ns2, one of the few modern games with old school gaming mechanics. It has a low playercount though and there is constant discussion about how to raise the playercount without compromising the oldschool mechanics.

I hate the achievement era of gaming. COD is a prime example.

Edit:

happita said:
I can't think of any game ATM that combines genres (more than just FPS/RPG)
Natural selection 2. FPS/RTS with depth. Shameless favorite game promote.

Reedit in response to your edit: You missed the $1 humble bundle ns2 sale that happend a bit ago.

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I'm not sure I feel the same exact way. Walkthrough's have existed for a very long time (from my time, since Genesis/SNES) for games as long as I can remember. The only game in recent memory that had me looking at a youtube video of how to get through it, I mean CONSTANTLY was LIMBO on Steam. Very well designed, artistic, and straight to the point kind of gaming. The good ole days of 2D platforming at it's finest in this day and age. THAT is what I miss. Games like Castlevania where you had 3 lives and if you died 3 times, that's it, GAME OVER, DONE. Now it's like every freaking game has a secondary "shield" beside your lifebar that gets regenerated after a few seconds of getting hit (I'm looking at you Halo 1). I feel like that is bullshit. The evolution of games it seems that they are getting dumbed down over recent years to appease the mainstream crowd.

Storytelling is also getting bland to the point where it's hard to get a perfect mix of that and gameplay to be the ideal game in any particular genre. The overload of FPS games that have hit the market is at an all-time high. Even though I was born on FPS games since Wolfenstein 3D, I think a little more diversification is in order. I can't think of any game ATM that combines genres (more than just FPS/RPG). But I think games are in desparate need of a refresh and I think the recent release of XBox One and PS4 will prompt developers to create more interesting and impressive games in the immediate future not just because of their graphical prowess, but because of the infinitely more resources it has available versus last generation consoles. The possibilities are great to make much more immersive games.

I miss a lot of oldschool gaming mechanics. That is why I play ns2, one of the few modern games with old school gaming mechanics. It has a low playercount though and there is constant discussion about how to raise the playercount without compromising the oldschool mechanics.
I hate the achievement era of gaming. COD is a prime example.
^
Absolutely.

I was thinking of getting NS2 for a while on the Winter Sale, but chickened out. Will definitely get it this summer though.

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
Cooling Deepcool GAMMAXX S40
Memory Kingston HyperX Beast Black 8gb @ 1600 cl8
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 670 POWER EDITION
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Caviar Black 500GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2420T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply FSP 650w
The soul missing.

Last edited:
System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
I feel that games today are too easy (on the most part anyway). More specifically the single player seems to be quite a bit easier now than I remember it 10 years ago. Also I find that developers seem to be focussing more on multiplayer and online play rather than putting in much effort into the single-player side of things in most games today.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I feel that games today are too easy (on the most part anyway). More specifically the single player seems to be quite a bit easier now than I remember it 10 years ago. Also I find that developers seem to be focussing more on multiplayer and online play rather than putting in much effort into the single-player side of things in most games today.
Agreed. Acheivement era of games.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
this is why a few rare games come along and shake it all up.

7 days to die shook up the zombie game, by making an open world first person zombie shooter, with minecraft levels of construction and building.

its still alpha, but for me it brings back what most games have been missing - CoD zombies is boring as hell because its tiny levels with closed in rooms designed to make it harder to kill slow moving, stupid AI controlled zombies.

7 days aint perfect yet, but the FUN is there.

D

Deleted member 67555

Games aren't getting worse or crappier...the only thing changing is the style in which the market demands...either you go with the wind or you get piss in your face.
Honestly the best part of PC gaming is the massive discounts you get for enjoying non mainstream gaming while still having the option to enjoy those games...the console market isn't as forgiving...yet

The soul missing.

this! just like music

now i'm not one to say let's just stay in the past, as a developer & music producer, the present & future are ALWAYS better since you can have BOTH the great past products & new (usually indie) gems!

too many people now try to make something out of a list of checkboxes, forgetting the harmony of everything, the feel of the mechanics (tommy spent months perfecting the movement in super meat boy & it shows)

but if you look, you can find most everything you miss... we have new old school shooters, we have amazing remakes like rise of the triad & shadow warrior that are not insulting, we have metroidvanias, hard platformers, point & click adventures, it's there, it's just not on the front page of IGN (why should it be?)

we even have old games resurrected, duke3d has steam workshop! yes 1996 duke, my #1 game of all time tied with halflife1, both of these have so much soul & user created content, completely changing the industry in their time

it's like film photography & vinyl, not mainstream but they didnt die

we do unfortunately have some mediums that are gone for good... 90s tv commercials, 90s cartoon network & nickelodeon, music on MTV, i guess a lot of this is just like your discoveries before the internet, also being a part of something live that wont be seen again (other than geeks that tape it... i've got some classic VHS tapes myself)

although, today's discoveries are just in a different way, just dig by yourself, dont listen to review sites, dont have friends randomly link you to some new low profile game... you can be the one discovering & linking everyone else, it's a great time to be on the internet

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

You havent played Dark Souls yet have you? Hardest game of this generation, possibly hardest ive ever played.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
You havent played Dark Souls yet have you? Hardest game of this generation, possibly hardest ive ever played.
Nope hence why I said on the most part. Dark Souls didn't look like a game I'd like to play. I have not played every game out there, only from most of the ones I've played have I noticed the difficulty decrease over the years.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
As already said "The Soul Is Missing" for both games and music in general. (And perhaps even movies - Hell Tobey Maguire still looks 22 and they have ALREADY re-made his spiderman remake FFS!)

When the technology was new people made a game "Because they had a great idea and/or story and wanted to share it to the world" it was engaging and intriguing because it was literally woven from the soul (for lack of a better way of explaining it) of it's creator, and on some deep subconscious level we related to this.

Now pretty much everything is made To fill a marketing demographic, and comprised of the core components identified by a focus group as being of greatest potential return within the carefully monitored and data mined demographic in question.

Or in other words all this bloom/HDR/motion blurred/auto aimed/auto tuned/Photoshopped/celebrity voiced/motion captured BULL SKYTE that they vomit out of their corporate product sphincters exists solely to milk the planets whopping herds of independent thought incapable sheeple and scratch publishing house X's latest financial itch.

And we do not relate to the financial itches of massive faceless corporations on any subconscious level.

And so the next time Battlefield NinetyTwelve "SuperAwesome mega l33t sniper werewolf sexy vampire one direction assassin commando combat evolution - Featuring incomprehensible and unwatchably terrible camerawork direction by Michael Bay - now with integrated FACEBOOK and live twitter feeds about the next big pop group in your HUD with your motion capture device tracking your eyes so we know what interests you most so we can data mine you even harder for more marketing info to plan our next battlefield with" comes out - and you play it for 10 minutes and realize you just don't give a $#!t about games anymore.... that is why...

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
And so the next time Battlefield NinetyTwelve "SuperAwesome mega l33t sniper werewolf sexy vampire one direction assassin commando combat evolution - Featuring incomprehensible and unwatchably terrible camerawork direction by Michael Bay - now with integrated FACEBOOK and live twitter feeds about the next big pop group in your HUD with your motion capture device tracking your eyes so we know what interests you most so we can data mine you even harder for more marketing info to plan our next battlefield with" comes out - and you play it for 10 minutes and realize you just don't give a $#!t about games anymore.... that is why...

I'm fairly certain this is already possible, it just hasn't happened yet.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Lots of reminiscing, little objective reasoning going on...

There were so few games in the beginning that as new ones came out (and I'm talking 80's & 90's here) they were like 'wow!'. What we fail to understand is that there is a finite limit to the genres we can have with any current given tech. As PC memory became less restrictive and processing power became more adept, we could 'immerse' ourselves in games.

Games are not getting worse, we just have so many of them we are spoiled. It's not that they've lost their souls, there are just sooooo many to choose from and a lot will be dire.

It's also important to discern what a game is. I like to explore worlds and make my own fate. I know others hate that and would rather play RTS. Others still like driving games. It's futile to state games are getting worse when we already have the whole spectrum (no pun intended old timers) out there. I mean, hell, was Spectrum (Maze)Death Race awesome? Hell no but it was cool way back then.

Nostalgia is great and all but we need to look at what is in development now and there are a lot fun fun looking alphas out there. If you want something different, you're going to have to look hard and buy some indie game off steam. But things coming through like Star Citizen (itself just a very complex reworking of Elite[1984] - hey it was first guys) look to be perfect to me. Games with such huge scope they weren't possible a few years ago.

Also, like football, other sports, reality TV and the rest of the turgid, state indulged soma for the masses, games are just a form of entertainment. I think we're getting a little snobbish about what a game is and maybe how long it takes to make them these days. If your game has lost it's soul - go read a book. Games were never meant to enlighten you, they're meant to distract you from your other meaningful life chores. Unfortunately in today's hyper wealthy world, we've kind of lost sight that while we're moaning about the state of the games industry hundreds of thousands (in fact, millions) of people every year are displaced through war, famine, drought and other 'let's not think about it' stuff.

Yes, CoD is crap but it hands down beats being gassed by your own government in Syria, or shot in an African Mall because I don't believe the same thing as you.

All that said, I',m looking forward to the 3rd Witcher game and living peaceably within my community.

I think we're getting a little snobbish about what a game is and maybe how long it takes to make them these days. If your game has lost it's soul - go read a book. Games were never meant to enlighten you, they're meant to distract you from your other meaningful life chores. Unfortunately in today's hyper wealthy world, we've kind of lost sight that while we're moaning about the state of the games industry hundreds of thousands (in fact, millions) of people every year are displaced through war, famine, drought and other 'let's not think about it' stuff.

Yes, CoD is crap but it hands down beats being gassed by your own government in Syria, or shot in an African Mall because I don't believe the same thing as you.

From your point of view that may be true - but perhaps your point of view is a little too narrow for you to see the forest for the trees.

(Off topic back story nested in Spoiler)
You speak of all of the poor suffering people, well you see, I have only JUST this last year escaped from Africa... where we where shot at, robbed from or under constant threat from the hoards of gangs, drug-lords, and mafia style organized crime that ran our government for over 30 years. My grandmother was murdered for a broken VCR because once they had broken into her house and tied her up and beaten her she didn't have anything of enough value to even make it worth all the effort for the robbers - and for wasting their time they choked her by shoving her items of clothes down her throat as they stripped them from her.

Our currency was worth nothing and technologically 90% of the country was like the Island from "Lost" trapped in some sort of land before time.

In the last few years the simple act of surviving to tomorrow has become such a brutal struggle that people South African even began rounding up OTHER AFRICANS who may have simply come from a neighboring country, nailing them to planks, dousing them with petrol and burning them alive in the street just because they where from another part of Africa and their mere presence threatened the locals own survival so much, and they needed to try and scare them away that badly just to be able to have enough resource between those who where left to try and survive one more day. Google it if you think I'm full of nonsense - But remember to turn Safe Search OFF first - because you see - we wouldn't want the the 10% seeing things like this by accident and ruining their Thanksgiving Feast - or Spoiling their fat Christmas TurDuckEn, so papa google blocks it out to keep things nice for everyone.

So please don't talk to me of your opulence as though the other 90% of the population of world lives the life you may be accustomed to. There is little more offensive to those who are truly in need than meaningless self indulgent gestures that do nothing more than make the wealthy feel better about themselves.

THAT said, I still strongly stand by my first statement - Games have become hollow and soulless that are NO LONGER the product of an inspired will, they ARE now for the most part manufactured commercial products. Cold and empty. And this does not come from the distorted lenses of gluttony glasses that have blinded me to the entertainment by drowning me in choice.

This comes as someone who has had to spend an entire lifetime turning to electronic entertainment as the only possible way for my mind to secretly hide away and cower in terror from the reality of what every single day of my real life was, and hope nobody would ever find out - because if that weakness had ever shown in reality, I would be dead today... in real life.

During my life I have become an expert in electronic hiding places - and today's HAVE become shallow and vapid.

... I'm just saying...

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
From your point of view that may be true - but perhaps your point of view is a little too narrow for you to see the forest for the trees.

You speak of all of the poor suffering people, well you see, I have only JUST this last year escaped from Africa... where we where shot at, robbed from or under constant threat from the hoards of gangs, drug-lords, and mafia style organized crime that ran our government for over 30 years. My grandmother was murdered for a broken VCR because once they had broken into her house and tied her up and beaten her she didn't have anything of enough value to even make it worth all the effort for the robbers - and for wasting their time they choked her by shoving her items of clothes down her throat as they stripped them from her.

Our currency was worth nothing and technologically 90% of the country was like the Island from "Lost" trapped in some sort of land before time.

So please don't talk to me of your opulence as though the other 90% of the population of world lives the life you may be accustomed to. There is little more offensive to those who are truly in need than meaningless self indulgent gestures that do nothing more than make the wealthy feel better about themselves.

THAT said, I still strongly stand by my first statement - Games have become hollow and soulless that are NO LONGER the product of an inspired will, they ARE now for the most part manufactured commercial products. Cold and empty. And this does not come from the distorted lenses of gluttony glasses that have blinded me to the entertainment by drowning me in choice.

This comes as someone who has had to spend an entire lifetime turning to electronic entertainment as the only possible way for my mind to secretly hide away and cower in terror from the reality of what every single day of my real life was, and hope nobody would ever find out - because if that weakness had ever shown in reality, I would be dead today... in real life.

During my life I have become an expert in electronic hiding places - and today's HAVE become shallow and vapid.

... I'm just saying...

I think you guys need more Battletoads in your life
Just sayin

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

... I'm just saying...

Whoah there chappy. I'm glad you escaped your life of oppression. But don't for a second pretend to know me either.

No matter how shitty your life may have been, does not nullify my point. In some ways it's tragic you fled such calamity only to be disappointed by gaming in the first world.

I still stand by my point, games haven't lost their soul, we've just been saturated with it.
Like I said, if you want soul, go and browse through steams extensive, intelligent indie library.

If instead you want a triple A title with bells and whistles you'll need to ask the big fat corporations for their next money grabbing release.

Btw, I do love how the put down instantly use that to attack the ultra wealthy, which I must be of course.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
They don't test games properly like they used to.

I miss simple days before online games.

The older classic consoles were simple times. Needed a book to figure stuff out and reading and stuff.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Writing and matureness. Maturedom. Matureism. I don't know how to say that, but the industry needs to move away from the teenage boy market. Which probably is difficult because people seem to be stuck there.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Needed a book to figure stuff out and reading and stuff.
Like when you had to get the radio frequency off the booklet to progress through the story?
You mean like unplugging your controller and putting it into port 2 in order to defeat a boss?
Good times.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
yeah, nowadays games is cool, great graphic, multi players and so and so
but i just feel like its easy to get forgotten, and like kinda lost its soul (or i lost my soul on gaming)

All major titles just turned into cash cows, even some crappy DLC asks for money today. Games that can be completed in 2-3 hours now cost 60$, 50 GB in size where 99% of that is some stupid movies with QTEs and 1% is actual unpolished gameplay full of bugs.

I really miss classic Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill and other iconic games. What we got today just exclusives, retarded achievements, console wars, reboots, remakes, enhanced editions, HD editions, collector editions and all that blah blah blah.

I remember back in the day a team of 25 people or even less could create iconic games like Rule of Rose or Haunting Ground. Now they have gazillion people that produce some mediocre bizarre shit.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Yep, feeling this way for a few years now. I thought I was just getting older and I've seen it all before but theres definitely something different. Its like anything I guess, in the early days it was mostly independent developers that worked on games because they loved it and they took the time to do it right. Today, its controlled by corporations, with deadlines and the games are dumbed down to suit a wide audience, but mostly a young audience.

Its like how most movies are made for a 14-24 year old audience because they are the ones buying the movie tickets. The single player games of most of the big FPS titles are pathetic, more like a walkthrough than a game. The early games were unique in gameplay and graphics. Today, its hard to tell the difference in graphics on most of the games. Theres also too much of the same kind of themes too, they just copy ideas from popular older games because its easier and cheaper and less risky for the corporations.