• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone ever heard of Freedompop?

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
As of right now I am using Consumer cellular riding on AT&T network. Price is not too bad for the bare minium service I pay for: about 500MB of data and 200miunites of talk. I wanna know whether any members here have tried Freedom Pop. Their data service sounds delicious.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Two of my kids tried it and it sucked, here in our area, on the phones that they had. It's on WiFi/Sprint, so service depends on those, but even with the best WiFi, communication via voice was almost impossible. Google now has (IMHO) a very similar service called Google Fi.
We went with Total Wireless, a service sold only at Walmart or online that is Tracfone on Verizon. 4 lines for $100/month is hard to beat, and we've been happy with the service.

Edit: You'll find that FreedomPop isn't all that free. Want voice mail? There's a charge for that. Want some high speed data? There's a charge for that too.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5-6500
Motherboard Gigabyte H110M-A-CF
Memory Team Elite Plus 8GB DDR4 2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 960 FTW 2gb
Storage Crucial BX100 256gb, 2x WD Veliciraptor 300gb 10000 RPM, 1 WD 640gb 5400RPM
Display(s) Planar PL1910MW
Case Corsair Carbide Spec-03
Power Supply Seasonic SS-600 ET
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard TTesports Challenger
Two of my kids tried it and it sucked, here in our area, on the phones that they had. It's on WiFi/Sprint, so service depends on those, but even with the best WiFi, communication via voice was almost impossible. Google now has (IMHO) a very similar service called Google Fi.
We went with Total Wireless, a service sold only at Walmart or online that is Tracfone on Verizon. 4 lines for $100/month is hard to beat, and we've been happy with the service.

Edit: You'll find that FreedomPop isn't all that free. Want voice mail? There's a charge for that. Want some high speed data? There's a charge for that too.

I purchased a freedompop phone secondhand, and I have to agree with this. I still have it, but I do not use it to make phone calls pretty much ever. The cellular service is more or less non existent as mentioned ( I live in a huge metropolitan area mind you) and the only time I am able to get actual cell service is when I'm connected to wifi. I was also never even able to activate the phone properly when I received it and freedompop support... well let's just say you get what you pay for.

I would steer clear unless you want to buy an inexpensive device for playing games, browsing the internet or listening to audiobooks, because that is all my freedompop phone is good for. Their service is so terrible that the phones are VERY inexpensive on the secondhand market from authorized resellers.

Steer clear my friend.