• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone flash bios from another PC and successfuly boot up?

Was wondering if anyone ever was able to flash the bios of another similar machine onto another slightly different model and get it to post? For example there are some router firmwares I know of that are compatible with an older version like the Asus N66U vs the newer AC model. So it makes me wonder if you could do the same with a PC? Would have the advantage of possibly newer uefi version among others.

Thanks

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
When you saying PC what do you exactly mean???Do you mean motherboard bios?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
sure used to do that with NF4

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
So it makes me wonder if you could do the same with a PC?

The thing is a router has a single firmware or bios, a PC has the bios for the motherboard, and also the bios for the GPU ,as long as it's discreet.

your analogy of router FW swapping doesnt carry over to pc. Generally when you do something like that with a router, you're doing it to gain functionalities that are not available on a lesser model or an older model router.

you could no more do that with a PC, than you could expect to swap the software for your Honda Civic's onboard computer for the software from a Ferrari F40, and expect it to enhance performance, or gain some functionality.

/sadly.:(

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
You'd have to be able to flash it in the first place - and motherboards dont allow you to flash incompatible bioses.

the next hurdle is that its not just the one main chip, a mobo BIOS often includes secondary firmwares as well and they likely wouldnt be compatible

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Not sure if you would classify it other than a BIOS update but im pretty sure i flashed the BIOS on ASUS P6T which enabled the features of the deluxe version of the board.

Ive never attempted anything more scary or potentially damaging than that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Yes, you can crossflash bioses.

No it doesn't usually end well. In about .1% of instances, it does, and you get something interesting. It's really not common, nor worth trying.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Yes. I have done it with a few motherboards and some other devices (DVD burners). But you gotta make sure you're crossflashing to a very similar device.

I was wondering about flashing a bios from a similar model one revision up, modding the microcodes and gpu gop Drivers to match. For example I have a p8z68 deluxe rev 1. Maybe it could take the bios from the p8z68 gen 3 (slightly newer model). Got a bios rom programmer on hand to force the upgrade or downgrade. Curious. Thanks.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I was wondering about flashing a bios from a similar model one revision up, modding the microcodes and gpu gop Drivers to match. For example I have a p8z68 deluxe rev 1. Maybe it could take the bios from the p8z68 gen 3 (slightly newer model). Got a bios rom programmer on hand to force the upgrade or downgrade. Curious. Thanks.

in my limited experience with bios "modification" from what ive been told by those who DO know, your better off editing your actual bios, than using a different components bios. The situation i am referring to was when i was assisted in modifying my Ref GTX970's, so it may not translate into the world of MoBo bios modification, but id hazard a guess that it does. without the help of a bios editor program, im guessing it wouldnt be unlike translating ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics into spanish.

I guess I discovered the Rosetta Stone here because it worked! Was able to flash the bios of an Asus M4A785D-M PRO bios onto an Asus M4A785-M board successfully. Was able to go into the bios setup program without issues. I guess the two boards were similar enough for it to work. Only thing is the LAN controllers are different and if I want to have working LAN I have to swap the LAN modules but no big deal. Had to use my CH341A programmer to pull this off because the Asus flash utility refused to program the M4A785D-M Pro's bios file (which was two years older - wish it was newer). At this point not sure about what difference this brings to the bios menu - I think the Pro has richer overclocking utility menu options. Should be interesting.

Thanks.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
This type of BIOS flashing is dangerous and can brick a board.
Some are indeed similar enough you can do it with no ill-effect, others even if said to be about the same can lead to a board going bye-bye if you try it.

If you have the need to flash something from one to the other as the OP did I seriously suggest getting one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NANO-USB-P...593344?hash=item3f2b8ce400:g:B6QAAMXQrNtR0sQZ

No need to worry about a bricked board via crossflashing/hotflashing with it and it's easy to use, got myself one of these sometime ago and it's been worth every penny spent for it and then some.

Well it was an old board sitting in a closet collecting dust and I thought it would be a fun project to try out on my day off. FYI I do own a bios rom programmer like my last post indicated if it wasn't for my trusty Ch341A Black it would not have worked because the bios program refuses to flash a rom from another model. Of course I'm not going to try to flash a rom belonging to some other chipset as that obviously would not work. However I was surprised to find that all the ORom modules were all the same. Furthermore I copied my DSDT over for stability sake. So far no issues. Maybe I got lucky!

This type of BIOS flashing is dangerous and can brick a board.
Some are indeed similar enough you can do it with no ill-effect, others even if said to be about the same can lead to a board going bye-bye if you try it.

If you have the need to flash something from one to the other as the OP did I seriouslysuggest getting one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NANO-USB-P...593344?hash=item3f2b8ce400:g:B6QAAMXQrNtR0sQZ

No need to worry about a bricked board via crossflashing/hotflashing with it and it's easy to use, got myself one of these sometime ago and it's been worth every penny spent for it and then some.

I don't know if it works on modern motherboards, but it works here on my classic 939 motherboard, but it's very high risk if you get it wrong.

Have new firmware on USB stick, boot into BIOS upto firmware update, but don't start it yet. Pull the BIOS chip out of the socket (do not power down motherboard) & insert "Any compatible BIOS chip" that fits the socket. Now press update firmware.

It must read update successful, if it does not, press reset, do not power down & repeat update firmware by going back into the BIOS until it reads successful.

NOTE: computer must never be power down until it reads a successful update.

It works for me first time. I can pull a BIOS chip from any computer & copy it for my motherboard or a similar motherboard. I have around six or seven spare BIOS chips for my motherboard & it work on near identical motherboards that have a small number of features missing, but BIOS chip that is flashed for other motherboard, you have to insert the correct BIOS chip for that motherboard in-order for it to function correctly.

This effectively is a BIOS COPY hack using your motherboard to reprogramme any BIOS chip that fit in the BIOS socket.

If you get a error after a successful update, just do a BIOS reset clear/load BIOS default & power down, this should clear the error & you should now have a spare BIOS chip.

To confirm everything is ok, just reflash it again in the normal way, their should be no errors whatsoever & new BIOS should be working as normal.

Just to make it clear, I don't know if this works on modern motherboards, but it always works first time on my 939 motherboard with no errors during reflashing.

Last edited:
I bet it would work on a newer motherboards as long as the certain guidelines are followed such as:
1. Be same manufacturer
2. Same chipset
3. Similar product line

Such as grafting the bios of a X99A revision 1.1 board bios on a 1.0 board or something. They have to be similar.

Interesting findings I had from this experiment was that there really wasn't too much difference in the bios code.
They had the same rom drivers, same microcodes. Almost everything was the same except the Setup program
(and that was slight at best) and the DSDT aml code. It proved a point though that its doable.