• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone have some good guides for setting up a home server?

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
I had an HP MediaSmart and it was cool, but I did not like the proprietary hardware. I have built my own home server (mini ITX rig), but I'm looking for guides on how to set up media sharing (like an iTunes server), web server for external access, network backups, etc - all the things the MediaSmart did. Does anyone have any good guides they have used in the past? What kind of results did you get?

Server hardware:
AMD Sempron 140
2GB DDR3 (+2GB on its way)
Zotac mini ITX
4 x 1TB Seagate HDD (have two now, and two more ordered): Raid 5 array will be utilized
Possibly adding a fifth drive for OS
Lian Li PC-Q08
Current OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, but I have Server 2003 available

Shared files:
iTunes media
downloaded files
pictures
some movies

Other computers on network:
Main PC (in specs below with Windows 7 Ultimate)
Two laptops (One Windows 7 Ultimate, one XP Home)
Kids' PC (S775 XP machine)
Samsung Internet connected TV and BD player

Network:
Two Linksys gigabit + N routers (only one routing)
Netgear Powerline adapters bringing data from router one to router two

Not needed:
No DVR
No torrents
No domain

Goals:
iTunes server
Backup server
External web site (+ RDP if possible)
Data shares
Behind the scenes for everyone else in the house

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
first of all, you're gunna need to state what you're sharing to, and what file types you want to share.

System Name Blue Monolith (working on name)
Processor AMD Phenom II 1090T... on H2O
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7
Cooling EK-Supreme with 2 radiators for the moment ~ 22 celsius
Memory Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 KHX1600C8D3K2
Video Card(s) hd 6870 Sapphire 1GB
Storage 8x 500GB Seagate Barracuda on LSI controller
Display(s) Samsung 206BW
Case Aplus Black Pearl WCR with water cooling mounts :)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
Power Supply Gigabyte ODIN GT-800 (that with software)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores WORKING IN PROGRESS P10464 in VANTAGE(this is the old score)
the simple guide...

the proiect

1)what is the scope of the proiect?/what must do for you?
1.1)were will work, temperature?, ventilation?, internet connetion?
1.2) from 1) you will have an ideea of the software that you will need (windows/linux)
2)the budget ?
3)the hardware components for this project (in this part you can add the parts that you all ready have)
4)the skill need to work with the hardware components and the "skill" for software install and configure

this is not a perfect guide line... is for you (FREE) to have an ideea of what will must do...

also you must consider that if you are at start line with IT skills, it's best for you to NOT to try to make a ALL in one configuration (ex. router+server+nas+DRV... etc).

for that you write... a simple FREENAS configuration will be ok for you and simple

Mussels ... you think about share like.... torrents or seed box?

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
Updated. And Mussels knows: I'm not a noob.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
1./ Important Q. Is your W2K3 serial R2 or not. If you can install R2 then I would recommend you take a look at something called DFS Namespace and DFS Replication. It's a nice way of keep machines sync'ed.

2./ If you have W2K3 you could set up Active Directory and have very easy management and control over all your current machines, quick setup of new machines, and very powerful policy management, plus consistent machines whichever machine you log in to.

3./ You are not a noob, but are you happy to do 2? Windows server admin is a whole new playing field. If you are in a hurry and are not 100% familiar with it, then DONT TRY. If however you have time and are ready to learn... then give it a go. You will have fun

4./ I have recently found these two pieces of software SyncMan and Syncrify. http://web.synametrics.com/Syncrify.htm Take the time to ready through those 2 AMAZING products. I have only just found them in the last days, and just wish I had found them years ago. Free for non-commercial use

5./ Setting up an internet server on Windows is really easy. MS has a tool that will install IIS and also offer to install all kinds of opensource web products. Definitely recommend. I have a private vB 4.x forum that we use just for family communication: to do lists, homework, how-tos, address book, photos, grannygrandpa, etc. etc. You'll have a lot of fun setting one up

6./ Cobian backup

7./ COMODO antivirus (free on w2k3)

System Name Blue Monolith (working on name)
Processor AMD Phenom II 1090T... on H2O
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7
Cooling EK-Supreme with 2 radiators for the moment ~ 22 celsius
Memory Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 KHX1600C8D3K2
Video Card(s) hd 6870 Sapphire 1GB
Storage 8x 500GB Seagate Barracuda on LSI controller
Display(s) Samsung 206BW
Case Aplus Black Pearl WCR with water cooling mounts :)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
Power Supply Gigabyte ODIN GT-800 (that with software)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores WORKING IN PROGRESS P10464 in VANTAGE(this is the old score)
so t_ski...

you have only one internet line correct?

one idea I all ready say Freenas...

the second is win7 with your software on it

the hdd...

for your pictures, movies and file, use 2 hdd in raid 1, (it's safe in this config).
your file will be in 2 location on 2 different hdd. this is a solution for 2-3 years, but it's the best for home user.
you can also set the backup location for the rest of the pc/device from your house

for the rest (movies, torrent files, seed, music) use 2 hdd in raid 0, it's ok even for 2-3 mkv file running on different pc/device. raid 0 will give you speed also, a better transfer rate.

for sharing you can use TONKY server...

for torrents... you have many variants :) but remember to set the correct bandwidth limit for the torrents

becouse this pc will be up ~24/24 hours this will be a good place for a wuala client :) (you can use this link for http://www.wuala.com/referral/JBK635CMG5H667J773CP . wuala will give you up to 20GB online storage space, this space is very secure and safe)

I hope that buy presenting wuala to you will be consider like spam or marketing (I dont work for wuala I'm only use it for the storage)

so why you use 2 routers?

Last edited:

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
First post updated with more info. I work IT in a large rural hospital, and I am very familiar with a domain, but I do not want one on the house. I would prefer something that is pretty much invisible to everyone else in the house, as they are not as tech savvy as I am.

I use two routers for several reasons, but mostly because it provides me with a four-port switch and a wireless N access point at each location. The main router in the basement wan't providing enough of a signal for my wife's laptop (wireless g) where she only uses it upstairs.

If you guys have some links to online guides you've used, please post them. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of reading on this.

First choice would be Windows Home server. Your already familiar with it and you can just the software. Second would be FreeNas or another linux based NAS system like BSD or what not. Then you have your server OS, but if you are not well versed in it I would stay away from it. Lastly and probably one of the easiest is to toss W7 on the box and setup a network share. It's one of the nice things about W7, sharing is easy. If you need more power such as on the fly conversions then Twonky is pretty good as mentioned above.