• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone know of any US retailers that will demo the Steam Machine?

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I'm speaking of course mainly being able to sample the Steam Controller.

I reached a sort of dead end yesterday trying to track down GameStop stores in my area that might be doing demos, after reading Valve were putting Steam Machine mini stores in some of their locations. Most stores won't even have the mini SM section though, and none sounded sure they would even offer a demo station.

Seems to me if Valve really want to offer Steam Machine as a viable alternative to what's already available, they'd make sampling them more accessible than just sending out a few hundred SDKs and calling it good enough. I even found Steam Group discussion on it with a handful of people discussing it, and all were complaining about it, but I couldn't join in the discussion.

Then I found a gen discussion thread on Steam Forums with many people complaining about not being able to comment in Steam Group discussions. Valve are so horrible at marketing and communicating, despite having one of THE largest gaming forums on the net.

Last edited by a moderator:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
contacted Steam sales and Support ?
sounds like this is the sort of enquiry they could help with

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
contacted Steam sales and Support ?
sounds like this is the sort of enquiry they could help with

I was planning on leaving that as a last resort. I don't have a lot of confidence in the way they handle things, and am going through a terrible head/chest cold right now. I really don't want to endure any extra stress if I can avoid it right now. Plus I get the feeling if this info is THAT hard to obtain this close to launch, Valve are intentionally being tight lipped about it.

I get the feeling they expect people to buy SMs on faith and the Steam name, without being able to sample them, and my guess is you would have a hell of a time trying to return anything SM related, including just a separately purchased Steam Controller. Everything I've seen of Valve lately looks worse than the corporation they left, MS.

If anything, MS are getting more understanding and customer oriented, while Valve are getting more corporate minded and inaccessible.

Last edited by a moderator: