• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone try the new ASUS BIOS unlocks the CPU multiplier?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
It appears that ASUS has updated their BIOS for the P4c800-E and P4P800-E BIOS to enable people running Presscott CPUs to change the multiplier... haven't updated mine as of yet but was wondering if anyone else has tried it?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
it requires two highend prescotts 3.4 and 3.6 iirc then you can change the multi to 12 .. you got such a prescott? if yes then you could help testing this in atitool (will send you a beta)

mariuski

Urlyin said:
It appears that ASUS has updated their BIOS for the P4c800-E and P4P800-E BIOS to enable people running Presscott CPUs to change the multiplier... haven't updated mine as of yet but was wondering if anyone else has tried it?

is it some sort of trick to tweak up Prescott cpu? isn't it possible to pump it up via Bios-fsb?

I have a 2,8ghz Northwood and thinking about getting a 3,2 Prescott for more OC. is it recommendable?
.....and my MB is MSI875pneo without multiplier. I run my 2,8ghz Northwood on 3,15ghz stabile, but when I go beyond this point it usually stops/hangs very quickly.

Prescott vs Northwood, who's the best overall cpu? (I've read that Prescott is warmer than Northwood)

thanks! :)

Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
I have a P4P800-E with a 3.0E Presscott... now that would stink if it didn't work for the 3.0E... Well maybe this weekend I can get it setup and try the new BIOS and see. I'm ocing to 3.8 now and have a Coolermaster Hyper6 ready to replace the zalman. I'd can test the beta if the multiplier works with the 3.0E. I'll check prices for the 3.4 which is what I should have gotten anyway.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
mariuski said:
is it some sort of trick to tweak up Prescott cpu? isn't it possible to pump it up via Bios-fsb?

I have a 2,8ghz Northwood and thinking about getting a 3,2 Prescott for more OC. is it recommendable?
.....and my MB is MSI875pneo without multiplier. I run my 2,8ghz Northwood on 3,15ghz stabile, but when I go beyond this point it usually stops/hangs very quickly.

Prescott vs Northwood, who's the best overall cpu? (I've read that Prescott is warmer than Northwood)

thanks! :)

Clock for clock the Northwood is suppose to be faster. I didn't get the oc out of my 3.0 Northwood as I do with my 3.0 Presscott. The multiplier is something new with ASUS 865P-E and 875P-E Intel boards.

The Presscott does run warmer than a Northwood but with either one it depends on the luck of the draw as to how well it will oc. Make sure your board will support Presscott chips before you get one ...

mariuski

quote: "Make sure your board will support Presscott chips before you get one ..."

for every answer there's another question.......or two :) :

when a mobo is supposed to support intel P4 it shouldn't matter which manufacturer, type or whatever it is as long as it's a P4!?

I don't know how to tell if my mobo supports Prescott or not, however I should belive so since it's a 875p.blablabla

Is there a way to tell if your/my mobo supports (or not) one or the other?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
mariuski said:
quote: "Make sure your board will support Presscott chips before you get one ..."

for every answer there's another question.......or two :) :

when a mobo is supposed to support intel P4 it shouldn't matter which manufacturer, type or whatever it is as long as it's a P4!?

I don't know how to tell if my mobo supports Prescott or not, however I should belive so since it's a 875p.blablabla

Is there a way to tell if your/my mobo supports (or not) one or the other?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe all P4 MOBOs support Presscotts ... check with the manufactures web page ... but your 875p should, it may need a BIOS update ...

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
been through this yesterday .. got a new 3.0 prescott cpu from a buddy for girlfriend's cpu which is on rma.. new cpu was packaged in 2.0A box :rolleyes: .. tried on her i845 board - beep- beeeep - beepbeep - panicked.. tried it at home on abit ic7 i875p .. works fine ..

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Finally got my rig up and running... I did the BIOS update to see if my 3.0e can do the multi CPU unlock and it's a NO go ... So it does appear you'll need a 3.2e or a 3.4e... I've got a deal working with a buddy to off my 3.0 Northwood and 2gigs of Hyperx Pc3200. That should be enough to get a 3.4e and with that I can sale the 3.0e Pressy to my Brother-in-law ... :D

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Got my hands on a 3.2e and the CPU lock free (ASUS named) is now a setting in the BIOS. It has three settings Auto, enabled, and disabled. I didn't have much time to take it for a long spin. When set to auto it booted to 3.2 w/multi of 16 if I remember correctly. The enabled setting sets it to 2.8 w/multi of 14. I did manage to get an oc of 4.0 out of the 3.2 setting. Of course the disabled setting sets it to 3.2 as well. Wonder what the Auto is doing then ....

I found out in a post from Bigtoe that the Lock free is like AMD cool-n-quiet where the auto will throttle down the CPU to lower heat ...

Last edited: