• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyway to transfer MBR to data drive?

I knows it's unbelievable but I seem to have F'ed something up:D when I upgraded my HTPC drive. I'm don't sure way but XP decided to install system files on the new disk and the MBR on another drive. With the system files on the data drive I figure just moving the MBR to it would work? If not would mounting the MBR on a flash drive work? I know theirs apps for rebuilding a damaged MBR but not sure if they could write one.
The drives are both sata the data drives a 1TB samsung and the others an older sata 160GB WD.

There are plenty of mbr backup tools. You can of course write it back to another drive. Just Google for MBR backup. Though I'm not sure if it would actually work. ie the mbr will probably point at disk2 or something, so it wouldn't work when the Windows disk becomes disk 2.

Try using the recovery console, ie fixboot and/or fixmbr.

I've googled it already and didn't find anything that pointed to my problem so I went here. Figured if anyone has done this before they'd be here:). What worries be about tying to write/repair a MBR to this drive is that it's never had one and lacks the partition for it. Do you think making a partition on this drive for the MBR with something like partition magic would work?
I know this is a pretty off the wall thing so I'm not counting on a solution just fishing for one. I would rather leave the other drive in then have to reinstall my OS and go though the whole setup again. So if anyone has a good %80 or better system for doing this I'll try it,if not :ohwell: Still keep the Ideas coming,I'm interested in what you guys can come up with.