• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AOC Unveils the AGON Series AG271QX 27-Inch Gaming Monitor

AOC, one of the top global brands in the display market, recently presented their premium line of gaming monitors - the AGON series. Its first model is the 27" (68.6 cm) AG271QX powered by a high-speed TN panel at a native resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels. It delivers ultra-smooth images with a 144 Hz refresh rate and a response time of 1 ms, supported by Adaptive-Sync Technology (FreeSync compatible, at a 30-144 Hz range) that reduces stuttering and tearing - focusing on the best gaming performance.

Gamers that play competitively not only rely on fast and smooth images, but also on instantaneously-executed commands and perfect vision in every situation. The AOC Low Input Lag mode disables picture post-processing on the monitor's electronics and, therefore, accelerates the command pass-through from mouse, keyboard and gamepad to result in immediate actions while the AOC Shadow Control enables gamers to quickly adjust contrast in overly dark or bright areas without sacrificing the quality of well-balanced areas across the rest of the screen.

Gamers that never run out of steam would also want perfect ergonomics and to be able to rely on convenient features to adjust their monitor. The AOC AGON ergonomic base provides plenty of comfort when enabling adjustments of height, tilt and swivel, and is accurately marked by a scale, so gamers can always jump back to their preferred settings. What is more, the stand is equipped with a carry-handle for easy transportation of the monitor for example to and from eSports events. When not using the headset, there is a practical holder at the side of the display to hook it over. Even more comfort is delivered by the eye-protecting AOC Flicker-Free Technology and the AOC Low Blue Light mode, both reducing eye strain, discomfort and fatigue during long gaming sessions.

Monitor settings are key features when it comes to individuality, and they need to be easily accessible. Adjustable gaming presets will grant gamers exactly that. AOC has not just implemented changeable Game Mode Presets, but also added the AOC QuickSwitch Controller, enabling the user to switch effortlessly between modes and adjust brightness, contrast and other gaming features.

The AOC AGON AG271QX premium gaming monitor, clearly addressing competitive gamers, will be available in June 2016 for an MSRP of £479/599 Euro.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Well, I would love to see the actual retail price of the monitor (When its for sale). However, seems like a very nice monitor especially with that Freesync range starting at 30hz and going to 144hz. Seems like an ideal range in my book! Not a bad looking monitor design wise as well.

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
built in mouse bungie arm = sold

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
Good to see more 144 hz 2650x1440 screens on the market. The prices are soo high and ASUS can use the competition!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
What is "post processing" that's within the monitor?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
600 euros for TN and FreeSync. How nice. Can someone imagine the price for IPS and GSync?
On the other hand people pay, so no reason for companies to lower prices.
There is no reason to talk about TN panels like this anymore. The newer ones compete with IPS on color reproduction and definitely have much better blacks and contrasts. IPS glow, which still hasn't been solved, is just the worst. And for gaming a TN like this one outperforms any IPS.

So stop talking smack on TN panels. Watch the reviews from people who switch from IPS to one of the new TN panels and you'll be surprised. Here is one example:

I think my next monitor will surely be a TN. Just can't deal with IPS glow and the horrid contrast, which also cause more eyestrain for me than any 'cheap' TN panel.

Last edited:
System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
600 euros for TN and FreeSync. How nice. Can someone imagine the price for IPS and GSync?

1136 euros. Acer's X34

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
Take a cheap panel, call it "Gaming" and charge 5x of its actual worth. So glad everyone is switching to much higher quality TVs versus low grade monitors.

I think my next monitor will surely be a TN. Just can't deal with IPS glow and the horrid contrast, which also cause more eyestrain for me than any 'cheap' TN panel.
IPS glow ? horrid contrast ? what IPS monitors have you been using ?

IPS glow ? horrid contrast ? what IPS monitors have you been using ?
I've used at least 3 IPS monitors that had this issue, including one of the popular DELLs (I don't remember the model number now). They all have this problem with darks, especially if the room isn't lit in the evening or you want to play with the lights off. It's very distracting and annoying to me and destroys any contrasts that could possibly be seen otherwise. It's like constantly having backlight bleed eveywhere on the screen, but by design!

If you invest in a good TN panel, you won't have any of these issues. It's strange that people don't understand this.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
TN better than IPS. Someone inform the panel industry. They should be selling IPS screens cheaper than TNs.

I've used at least 3 IPS monitors that had this issue, including one of the popular DELLs (I don't remember the model number now). They all have this problem with darks, especially if the room isn't lit in the evening or you want to play with the lights off. It's very distracting and annoying to me and destroys any contrasts that could possibly be seen otherwise. It's like constantly having backlight bleed eveywhere on the screen, but by design!

If you invest in a good TN panel, you won't have any of these issues. It's strange that people don't understand this.
I never noticed it, are you sure you have the monitor calibrated ? the last IPS panel i had were Dell 2209WA 2412M 2913WM and now 2713HM i noticed no difference in contrast to all the TN panel i had. If you want contrast buy VA panel i had a BenQ GW2750 now that thing had blacks and contrast.

PS: turn your lights on, i played for years with the light off the result was ... prescription eyeglasses :(

Actually I got my 1440p, 144/165Hz, G-Sync panel for $719USD (which is 627 euro) and its IPS. Still expensive but ya if I'm paying close to that amount I'm definitely going IPS.

There is no reason to talk about TN panels like this anymore. The newer ones compete with IPS on color reproduction and definitely have much better blacks and contrasts. IPS glow, which still hasn't been solved, is just the worst. And for gaming a TN like this one outperforms any IPS.

So stop talking smack on TN panels. Watch the reviews from people who switch from IPS to one of the new TN panels and you'll be surprised. Here is one example:

While I think all 3 of the current panel types (VA, TN, and IPS) have gotten pretty close to each other TN is still 3rd for image quality. I've tried them and the washed out look bugs me. That being said, TN most definitely has its place as most hardcore gamers will opt for TN panel as their response time is unparalleled. You're wrong on contrast by the way. The only panel type that wins on contrast is VA, followed by IPS. VA also wins on black rating but the response time is not as good as it looks on paper - their ratings look good (because they rate it at GTG) but dark to dark is what hurts it and causes ghosting. At any rate, all 3 panel types have their strengths as well as their weaknesses which is why all 3 are made. It's up to everyone to decide what they want and what they can live with.

General Statement not directed at anyone:
I find many people overstate IPS glow and Back Light Bleed (BLB) as well. If what the above video guy stated was true (BLB reaching to the center of his screen) than his BLB was indeed bad and I don't blame him for complaining even if him complaining about it every other sentence got annoying AF especially 20+min of it. People post pictures of their BLB but almost all of them forget a camera's job is to pick up light so of course it is going to accentuate it more than the human eye can pick up. I only rely on professional reviewers to have their cameras properly set up so that the pictures are displaying closer to what the human eye detects. People do the dark room black screen test but don't take into account that's not how they are going to use their monitor. It's a valid test but not the definitive one. If the BLB is truly bad, you don't need to do the darkroom test and that's a defective monitor.

I didn't know Dell started coming out with gaming focused monitors so that video above made look up a real review - TFT Central's Review of the Dell S2716DG. Looks like a solid monitor especially for the current price on Newegg which is $470 after a $80 rebate. So if someone wants a G-Sync monitor at a good price that is a great option. It will still have the TN downsides but a solid G-Sync monitor for that price is most definitely worth considering. Read the review though so you know the strengths and weaknesses. The video above is just "Hey, I bought a new monitor and it's awesome because it doesn't have BLB and I'm going to show you it doesn't have BLB every 30s of this video."

I find many people overstate IPS glow and Back Light Bleed (BLB) as well.
Maybe they overstate BLB but definitely not IPS glow. I have noticed IPS glow on every IPS I have looked at so far, and I don't even need a dark room for that. The backlight of the monitor just shines through on IPS panels, it makes the colors vibrant but the blacks just HORRIBLE, in my opinion. And it has nothing to do with calibration, as someone else stated. It's just the nature of these panels. You need more backlight to shine through, to make the colors vibrant, but you sacrifice the blacks and the contrast at the same time. And the term IPS glow has been around for ages, why do you think this is?

VA isn't viable in my opinion for gaming because of the bad response time. While the response time of TN is often overstated as well (because of GTG instead of BTB measurements), it still shoots VA panels out of the water with in response time. This leaves TN panels as the most viable panel right now, if you ask me.

Last edited:
System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
The Dell 34" Ultrawide, and HP IPS's, and even my TV all have some form of backlight bleed or "IPS glow" (including the Asus 27" 1440p IPS MG series I borrowed a short time). Blacks are good on my TV but not the actual monitors meant for professional work. All monitors at my job are calibrated before being deployed. All 3 of my best friend's ROG Swift (the IPS 165Hz monitors) all suffer from issues as well. As a person who has owned high end "gaming" monitors for the better part of the last year and a half trying to find the perfect balance I can agree on just buying a good quality TV. Has the best picture out of all the monitors I've used and I haven't "suffered" from being on 60hz in gaming. I think these tiny monitors passing the price of large badass TVs is getting a bit ridiculous.

TN panel for gaming? Yeah, right, the response time might be awesome but the colors will never compare with an IPS. Monitor does not look bad, seems it has some USB 3.0 ports too, which are nice for connecting neatly your mouse or keyboard.

But that truckload of horseshit about input lag, what certifiable idiot thought about writing that? Keyboard and mouse inputs and lag have nothing to do with the monitor whatsoever. The CPU processes their info and instructs the VGA what to draw on the screen.

They way they are saying it, it sounds like the monitor processes directly the info from mouse and keyboard which on scale of stupid from 0 to 10 it's about over 9000!!

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
TN panel for gaming? Yeah, right, the response time might be awesome but the colors will never compare with an IPS. Monitor does not look bad, seems it has some USB 3.0 ports too, which are nice for connecting neatly your mouse or keyboard.

But that truckload of horseshit about input lag, what certifiable idiot thought about writing that? Keyboard and mouse inputs and lag have nothing to do with the monitor whatsoever. The CPU processes their info and instructs the VGA what to draw on the screen.

They way they are saying it, it sounds like the monitor processes directly the info from mouse and keyboard which on scale of stupid from 0 to 10 it's about over 9000!!
Monitor latency adds end latency. Each piece of the puzzle adds a few ms from the click to the picture on the screen. If you actually read what was there you'd know that they talk about the game mode turning off post processing to reduce latency. TVs for a while were a bad screen for gaming due to post processing and not being able to turn it off and can add 30ms or more latency which is very noticeable.

Opy

I realize I'm a couple months behind the thread here, but it seems the most logical place. Advance apologies if this bugs you.

I find it surprising that there doesn't seem to be a high enough demand for my criteria of monitor.
So far this is the closest I've found but it has a potentially catastrophic negative point for me.
This is VESA mountable
Reasonably thin bezel
120Hz or higher refresh
DVI-D Duallink
TN is greatly preferred, but not a show stopper for me
27inch screen
So far ticks all the boxes, but the main reason I want most of these features is for nVidia 3D vision. While AOC are not listed at all on nVidias compatability list, some AOC monitors list themselves as 3D Vision ready. This one doesn't. I'm a little hard pressed for cash right now and not in a position to spend $600+ Australian on an experiment.
I also like not having built in speakers, but I could do without the side jacks that will get in the way when I overlap with the monitor to the side.