• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aorus 15p xd 3070 i7 11800h EDP throttling

Danii

My 2 months aorus laptop is getting EDP throttling and i dont know how to solve it, it clocks down th cpu to2.0Ghz 22w all the time i'm gaming. Its attached the log file of throttlestop and my settings screenshot. Pls help :(

Attachments

• 2023-01-06.txt
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • tts.jpg
    tts.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 297

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Can you show me a screenshot of the FIVR window? Does ThrottleStop show Locked at the top middle of the FIVR screen?

EDP throttling is usually caused by IccMax being set too low. If voltage control is locked then IccMax will also be locked. If IccMax is not locked then set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the maximum, 255.75.

For your settings I would set the Turbo Time Limit back to the Intel default value which is usually 28 seconds. Setting this to 2560 seconds does not do anything.

I would set the PP0 Turbo Time Limit to the minimum value. Do not check the PP0 Power Limit box and do not check the Power Balance feature. It is hardly ever necessary to check the Power Limit 4 Lock box or the Lock box in the Power Limit Controls section. Usually only the MMIO Lock box needs to be checked which you have already done. Reboot after you have made these changes.

Danii

The bios is locked so i cant do anything in the fivr section. I also did what you told me on tpl but still the same. This laptop is a pain in the ass but Thank you for your help^^

Attachments

• FIv.jpg
    FIv.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 232
  • tpl.jpg
    tpl.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 232

unclewebb

In the TPL window you do not need to check the PP0 Power Limit box at the bottom. With the FIVR all locked up by the BIOS there is no way to access the IccMax values.

Have you tried contacting Gigabyte or the store that sold you this laptop? The hardware you paid for cannot be fully used. Not even close to fully used. There is no legit reason that a high performance gaming laptop should be limited to a third of its Intel TDP rated power and less than half of its rated speed because of an EDP throttling issue. That is horrible design by Gigabyte. Are you using the most recent BIOS version? Are there any older BIOS versions available that you can try. The newest is not always the best.

Your screenshot shows that peak power consumption got up to 85W. Can you try restarting your laptop, delete the previous log file and start logging data immediately after starting up. Go play a game for about 15 minutes. Perhaps there will be a clue in the log file what triggers this throttling. Maybe when the CPU gets above a certain temperature, severe EDP throttling is used to limit the CPU and cool things down. Is there any difference between first booting up compared to after doing a sleep resume cycle? Sometimes a cycle like this will reset some CPU register that is not being set correctly. Check the Nvidia GPU box in the Options window so this data is included in the log file.

Some laptops do crazy stuff like this as soon as the Nvidia GPU is active. They can run at high speeds and at high CPU power levels but only when the Nvidia GPU is not active. Adding a feature like this to a gaming oriented laptop is ridiculous but it happens.

I am really grasping at straws here. Is there a forum for this laptop model where users are having the exact same problem as you are having?

Danii

I contacted to gigabyte but they asked me to erase the hdd and restore windows but already did that. I researched on some forums for this model and some people started having thsi problem since bios update. theres no diference between first start and after resume cycle.

Attachments

• 2023-01-24.txt
    105.4 KB · Views: 85

unclewebb

Can you find and install the original BIOS version? I have seen situations before where laptops are sold and reviewed and they run great. After that a BIOS update is released and performance takes a big hit.

For about 45 seconds the log file shows the CPU and GPU running great. The CPU is maintaining just over 4100 MHz and there are no problems at all. The CPU is running at less than 70°C when the EDP throttling suddenly begins so this problem does not appear to be temperature related. EDP throttling has the CPU limping along at 1600 MHz to 2000 MHz for an extended period of time after that. A decrease in the Nvidia GPU clocks momentarily snaps things back to normal. When the GPU clock speed goes back up, EDP throttling of the CPU resumes.

It is very likely that this problem is directly related to the Nvidia GPU being active or the amount of power it is drawing. It is likely that this first started after a BIOS update. I think any review site would have noticed that something was terribly wrong if this was happening. At least I hope a review site would have noticed.

If you cannot find a different BIOS to install, contact Gigabyte again. The person that first answers the phone will always suggest to just install Windows. This is a hardware issue, not a Windows issue. It looks like really bad design. Perhaps an inadequate power adapter is triggering this. It might not have what it takes to fully power the CPU and GPU so it triggers some sort of weird power conservation mode. Tell the person on the phone that this problem needs to be escalated. You did not pay for an 1800 MHz CPU so there is no reason for the CPU to be running that slow when playing a game. Tell them that you would have never bought this laptop if you were told up front about this Gigabyte laptop feature.

Let me know if you ever find a resolution to this.

Danii

Hey there, have you found a fix to your issue or not?
Hi, nope, even with the latest bios released the last week the problem still exist. I've tried everything i saw o internet but nothing.The last thing im about to try is to buy a new power supply because i realised that the battery discharges when im gaming, it looses about a 2 % then starts EDP throttling and stops when it get fully charged angain :DDDDD. I want to send the laptop to the warranty but i cant for now because i need it for work and studies :(((. For sure this is the first and last gigabyte (aorus) laptop ill get in my life, also the support is worst than the laptop :rockout::respect:.Good luck :roll:

Pogchamp

Hi, nope, even with the latest bios released the last week the problem still exist. I've tried everything i saw o internet but nothing.The last thing im about to try is to buy a new power supply because i realised that the battery discharges when im gaming, it looses about a 2 % then starts EDP throttling and stops when it get fully charged angain :DDDDD. I want to send the laptop to the warranty but i cant for now because i need it for work and studies :(((. For sure this is the first and last gigabyte (aorus) laptop ill get in my life, also the support is worst than the laptop :rockout::respect:.Good luck :roll:
Well great news coz i finally found a fix..
After 2 weeks of researching the problem since i was facing it too on my aorus 15p xd ive tried every solution out there besides the ones that includes unlocking the bios and none of them actually worked but gladly ive managed to find a fix and by accident actually (ironically) i hope this works for u aswell.
So all u have to do is follow these steps:
-set power plan to high performance mode
-put the charging policy to default so the laptop charges to 100%
-as soon as u get 100% open control center and set the charging limit to 75%.
And that’s pretty much it, i know it sounds dumb but it actually worked and ive tested it on many games all sustain 4.2ghz while consuming over 40w and gpu running full load at 130w
Btw i did other things aswell so i dont know if they’re related to the fix or not but here what i did anyways:
Used throttlestop to limit pl2 power limit down to 80w just to avoid thermal throttling, set fan curve to fix mode at 75% so the play stays around 65
Also in the intel graphics command center i went to settings and set power to maximum performance (its prolly useless but i did it anyways).
Anyways that’s pretty much it and i hope it works for you.

darkknight

i have 2 solutions which work the best fr me. First buy the 280watt asus laptop charger and a converter. I will link both these at the end of post.
Now use this tutorial to unlock bios of ur laptop. will work for all the laptops all models. I unlocked my aorus 15pxd rtx 3070 using this tutorial:

all u need are to switch the values for 1oth gen to 11th which are already in the file. rest of tutorial is same.
Then set the power limits PL1 to 60 W and PL2 to 90 W and play around with throttlestop for best settings.

vitorponte

eu tenho 2 soluções que funcionam melhor para mim. Primeiro compre o carregador de laptop Asus de 280 watts e um conversor. Vou vincular ambos no final do post.
Agora use este tutorial para desbloquear a BIOS do seu laptop. funcionará para todos os laptops de todos os modelos. Desbloqueei meu aorus 15pxd rtx 3070 usando este tutorial:

tudo que você precisa é mudar os valores da 1ª geração para a 11ª que já estão no arquivo. o resto do tutorial é o mesmo.
Em seguida, defina os limites de potência PL1 para 60 W e PL2 para 90 W e experimente o acelerador para obter melhores configurações.

I unlocked the BIOS as per the video above and did an undervolting, around -80mV Core and -60mV Cache and got better temperatures there, but the clock was not stable at 4.2Ghz, it was around 3.4Ghz. Do you really need to buy a more powerful source? Did you get better results this way? And what about the temperatures?

unclewebb

clock was not stable at 4.2Ghz, it was around 3.4Ghz
What are your turbo power limits set to? What does ThrottleStop Limit Reasons show when your CPU is not running at full speed? Better yet, attach a ThrottleStop log file and some ThrottleStop screenshots that show your settings.

alinayzir

Would it be a problem if I used a 280 watt adaptor instead of the original adaptor?