• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AORUS GeForce 3090 XTREME - BIOS Update failed. Still on F1

Klaus1189

Hi, I just registered here.
So I have a Aorus 3090 Xtreme for half a year now and BIOS F1. I want to update to F2 and have downloaded the new BIOS, but I get a Error that the file N3090AXL.F2.exe cannot be found in temp folder - C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp
The card is not bricked or anything, but the Update does not work.

What am I doing wrong? Please help me :)

Klaus

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Check your AV isn’t deleting it because it’s running out of temp. Make sure you are running it as admin.

Klaus1189

I use only defender and it does not report anything. I must automatically confirm to run it as admin. Thank you for the suggestions.
I also tried to put the folder with the exe and dlls into temp folder, but then it keeps me asking to update bios, if I click on yes, the question comes again and so on, but if I click on no it says it was succesfull and to perform a restart, but it wasn't updated. I suspect an error in the update installer but of course I am not sure.

The card is running just fine, but I would like to update it.

Klaus1189

OK, I'll do that :)
She is really a beauty and works like a charm and "her" gaming performance is enough for me.

max0x7ba

So I have a Aorus 3090 Xtreme for half a year now and BIOS F1. I want to update to F2 and have downloaded the new BIOS, but I get a Error that the file N3090AXL.F2.exe cannot be found in temp folder - C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp
I had the same issue today with the same GPU I bought this week.

You need to follow point 2 from https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5165

Which is:
1. Boot in UEFI mode
2. Enable “Above 4GB Decoding”
3. Enable “Resizable BAR” in the SBIOS
4. Disable Compatibility Support Module (CSM) in the SBIOS.
5. Ensure GPT partition type is used (and not MBR)
a. You can convert MBR to GPT using these guides
After you have done these, N3090AXL.F2.exe runs successfully from any folder, no administrator rights are required.

For me, it was CSM preventing the BIOS update.

Klaus1189

It still does not work. Did you have also this exact issue?
"I get a Error that the file N3090AXL.F2.exe cannot be found in temp folder - C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp"

Please help me :)

Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W
Have you got Visual C++2008 installed?.....

ao.jpg

Klaus1189

Yes, both x64 and x86 version is installed.

Because I hate people who have found the solution in a forum and don't post the soultion in their thread, here it is: THE SOLUTION:

You don't need anything in BIOS of Motherboard to be enabled like "Enable “Above 4GB Decoding”" or "Enable “Resizable BAR” in the SBIOS".
I just flashed the newest BIOS of my AORUS X570 Master to "F33" and bootet with default settings where these settings I mentioned are disabled by default.
I tested again to flash the VBIOS of the 3090 but again with no luck, same error message, ... then I thought about that stuff ... not working. Then I realised that I downloaded with Mozilla Firefox the zip Archive to the folder "Downloads" like every normal persion does. ..... Hah , what if .... what if the path is too long .... .... well I tested it and ... and it works.

-> Just extract the zip to another drive in a folder in root directory, so the path is very short. -> Flashing succeded.

Then I rebootet and tested what would happen if I try to flash it again and it recognizes that the card already has F2 and will not allow me.
Then I tested what would happen if I start from folder downloads again, and again same error massage. LOL

Then I turned off the PC, switched the 3090 to the other BIOS the silent of whatever it is called. Then turned it on and the hole stuff happened exacty like before.

So my troubleshooting points to the too long path.

I do not know what the creators thought about it: "Hey not a single person out there downloads and extracts the zip in their Downloads folder"
And the error message does not say anything to get an idea what is wrong. File not fould in temp folder, this is a ridiculous error message for this.
I attached a screenshot of the error message, but it is in german because I am from bavaria in the deep bavarian forest. But for other users who encounter the same issue.

Cheers,

Klaus Luppert

Proof

Attachments

• 3090 F2 fail.png
    3090 F2 fail.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 310
  • proof.png
    proof.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 281

Klaus1189

I just updated both BIOS of my 3090 XTREME successfully to F3 and again lots of trouble to get there. Did anybody only have to follow the readme and worked it like a charm or did you also encounter problems to get there?

Marksaidso

I just updated both BIOS of my 3090 XTREME successfully to F3 and again lots of trouble to get there. Did anybody only have to follow the readme and worked it like a charm or did you also encounter problems to get there?
holy smokes how did you manage to update it!?!?
i keep getting 'file in use' error

Klaus1189

Exactly error I got. Just go to folder:
C:\Users\…\AppData\Local\Temp then use details view and sort from new to old and double click the „same“ exe file in it, you just executed.