• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple MacBook Pro 2018 Appears to Have a Serious Design Flaw

Well, I didn't mean that. But the thing is all laptops got thinner, size isn't a major concern when buying one. I got a new Acer laptop 2-3 years ago and it was like half the width of the one I bought 10 years ago. It's no Macbook for sure (in fact assembly was a little subpar - but I fixed that), but for $800 I got a Skylake CPU, 8 or 16 GB of RAM. And I spent an extra $200 to swap the HDD for a SSD. That thing runs everything I need to this day.
Which model do you have?

I think it comes down to how you use your laptop. Or rather: how you live with it.
Laptops may be getting thinner in general, but they're still big and heavy. You feel them in your backpack or bag.

The whole point of making notebooks smaller was to get them to the size and weight that we find somehow familiar and neutral. Like a normal paper notebook. And we're getting close.
And for people that tolerate heavier luggage, there will always be a potential to get something larger and cheaper / more powerful.

I had a 2.5 kg notebook when I was studying. It took half of my backpack and was heavy, but OK for commuting between home and university.
But that's not always the case, right? Sometimes you go shopping after work. Sometimes you just go for a walk. And walking around with additional 2.5kg is definitely uncomfortable.

Currently I carry an HP EliteBook 840 (physically similar to the MacBook Pro). Just 1 kg and maybe 1cm of thickness less than what I had 10 years ago, but the difference is night and day.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. In order to get Apple fans to admit Apple products are mostly just like any other (still above average), they'd also have to admit they're being overcharged. Which is this whole discussion started ;)
They don't. You don't look at prices as you should.
With Apple you pay a premium for their work. Their products are really easy to use. They do many things for you.
Apple competes with other manufacturers by making their products friendly and tinker-free.
Makers of Windows laptops don't compete by making their products friendly and tinker-free. They compete by finding the cheapest way to combine the same generic parts and make them run under the same OS.

Simple fact is: if you're 100% in Apple ecosystem and use Apple-certified accessories, it's very unlikely you'll ever have any compatibility issues. No tinkering, no asking on forums, no need to learn how something works. It may not be that important for tech-savvy people, but for everyone else Apple is actually very good value. You computer or phone just works - exactly like your car, your TV, your fridge. You just use it. You don't have to think how it works.
True (and I was expecting the functionality was there). But my point is, for an OS that is supposed to be so refined, it sure has functionality that's hard to discover.
Honestly, when I got my iPhone, it took me few days to find out how to do this kind of things.
It's a touch interface. You can only touch, hold, swipe or pinch. It's not that hard to discover how things work. And thanks to very strong Apple policy, all apps work more or less the same.

Last edited:
System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
And walking around with additional 2.5kg is definitely uncomfortable.
Come on man, that's just around five pounds (for those of us in the United States). That's not a lot at all.

Come on man, that's just around five pounds (for those of us in the United States). That's not a lot at all.
Actually 2.5 kg or 5 lbs is more or less the weight of recommended dumbbell for people getting into serious exercises. It's the weight that's supposed to get them tired after few minutes.
OK, you don't lift your notebook. But you carry it with you. Sometimes it's hot, sometimes you're in a suit, sometimes you're ill or just very tired. Sometimes you're shopping after work and you have 15kg of food on top of your normal stuff.

Sometimes the gravity is against you.
Just a simple test. Get to 4th floor with and without additional 2.5kg in your backpack. You'll notice the difference.

Light notebooks (...cloths, bags, gadgets, shoes) are easier to live with. No way around it.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Five pounds is nothing to me, I've carried heavier stuff in my life. I've carried heavier and bigger notebooks in the past including so-called desktop replacement notebooks just because I wanted one for the on the go power.

System Name O-Clock
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K @ 52x/49x 8c8t
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Gene
Cooling Corsair H170i Elite Cappelix w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ @3900 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Black
Storage Samsung 983 ZET 960GB, 2x WD SN850X 4TB
Display(s) Asus VG259QM
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic DT 990 600Ω, Asus SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25", Elgato Wave 1
Power Supply EVGA 1600 T2 w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fan
Mouse Logitech G403 Wireless (PMW3366)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Stickerbombed
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/search/submissions/permalink?userId=92615&cpuId=5773
Yea that’s what happened when you go custom everything because you want to be different.... what can I say? Apple is that person on a cruise ship that will jump off and swim the entire way!

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
The keyboard I'm using on Android has actual arrow keys ;)

You can also hold 2 fingers on the keyboard in iOS and it basically turns into a trackpad and will allow you to control the cursor location. While some features require a bit of discoverability, once you get it, it becomes second nature.
The question is why does Apple remain so valuable as a company (cheap labor) but not grow beyond minority market shares? This article is about a MBP that fits into the desktop/notebook segment and Apple maintains a paltry 9-12% market share depending on the study group and metric. In the mobile device segment Apple maintains 18-24% market share depending on the study group and metric. Most of Apple's mystique stems from marketing and business model as the usage experience hasn't allowed their market shares to grow.
Apple’s Mac market share is no riddle. Apple has no desire to sell budget Macs, and they pretty much never have. Instead, they sell to the higher end of the market. It means more profit per device, and the hardware chosen will be a good-performing experience. If you only have $350 to spend, Apple will not offer you a Mac, but they will point you to the iPad. Is it a desktop? No, but Apple makes the SOC and can ensure performance is good in all available circumstances—much like a game console favors consistency over superior graphics. Netbooks and cheap Android tablets and phones have not done Windows or Android any favors when it comes to reputation. Everyone in this thread knows that it’s not the OS’s fault that budget systems’ performance sucks, but talk to all the people who don’t know anything about hardware specs, and they will blame Windows or the OEM who made the device. Apple is aware of this perception. They know they aren’t for everyone, and they simply don’t care. They have a fraction of the market share of Android, but they make way more profit than any Android OEM, year in and year out. People can call Apple customers sheep all they want, but those sheep don’t care because Apple’s vertically integrated ecosystem does what they want without complications. Use iCloud, everything syncs from iPhone to iPad to MacOS—photos, documents, text messages, etc. I think people care less that the solution is the best, what they want is for it to work.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Actually 2.5 kg or 5 lbs is more or less the weight of recommended dumbbell for people getting into serious exercises. It's the weight that's supposed to get them tired after few minutes.
OK, you don't lift your notebook. But you carry it with you. Sometimes it's hot, sometimes you're in a suit, sometimes you're ill or just very tired. Sometimes you're shopping after work and you have 15kg of food on top of your normal stuff.

Sometimes the gravity is against you.
Just a simple test. Get to 4th floor with and without additional 2.5kg in your backpack. You'll notice the difference.

Light notebooks (...cloths, bags, gadgets, shoes) are easier to live with. No way around it.
Let me throw a monkey wrench into your argument there: unless you carry your Macbook in your hand, you're also carrying a bag that adds to those numbers ;)

True but again, any old cheap Mac Mini can do that which can be had for $799 or you can find older Mac Minis for a hell of a lot cheaper.
Yes, but you can always get a PC or laptop for less money ;)
As for Microsoft Visual Studio you really have to hand it to Microsoft for that, they've made the best damn developer tool in the industry. You can make Mac apps, Windows apps, Android apps, iOS apps, even Linux apps (with Mono and .NET Core) and share code between them all. Pretty much nobody can touch the quality and abilities of Visual Studio, it's just that damn good. And to think you can get Visual Studio for free. Wow.
And I don't know about VS (haven't checked it out in over a decade), but only its community edition is free.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
And I don't know about VS (haven't checked it out in over a decade), but only its community edition is free.
So? Free is free! You can do damn near everything with the free version that you can do with the paid versions. It's not stripped down at all.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
So? Free is free! You can do damn near everything with the free version that you can do with the paid versions. It's not stripped down at all.
As i was saying, I haven't checked it out in a while. Usually community editions are lacking many important features, I'm glad to hear that's not the case here.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
VS Code is not Visual Studio and it's a very different editor. VS isn't written using Electron, VS Code is. Don't get me wrong, VS Code isn't bad, but it's definitely not a replacement for VS if you're doing .NET development. VS Code is a good option if you're doing stuff with TypeScript or if you're in Linux and are allergic to editors like Emacs and VIM... but @bug is right, only the community edition of VS is free, but VS Pro is definitely not.

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Because they have money and you don't.
All the kids sitting in the coffee shop checking their facebook on a 4500 mac have credit card debt, not money.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
VS Code is not Visual Studio and it's a very different editor. VS isn't written using Electron, VS Code is. Don't get me wrong, VS Code isn't bad, but it's definitely not a replacement for VS if you're doing .NET development. VS Code is a good option if you're doing stuff with TypeScript or if you're in Linux and are allergic to editors like Emacs and VIM... but @bug is right, only the community edition of VS is free, but VS Pro is definitely not.
Yup. Community Edition of Visual Studio is just for free/open source/learning. If the code being created is for profit, they need to hand over the big bucks.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Yeah the free Community Edition version does have that stipulation in the license agreement. This I understand.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You really can't. It just sounds like complaining. Now if you can layout an engineering trace of the problem and explain why their mistake was so bad then I will listen. Tell me how you would have approached the problem from an engineering perspective and what steps would you take at this point to ensure the problem does not happen.

You saying this sounds just about as arrogant as others saying they should have designed it better. Until YOU have the answer, this comment has no place. If you can't design it properly, you shouldn't design it in the first place, how about that? If a product is released with faults like these, 'it just sounds like complaining' when people point it out. Yeah, us and all our first world problems, poor Apple. :roll::roll:

Honestly sometimes reading your comments is just perplexing and they are borderline flamebait more often than not. You're not adding anything of substance either but tell others to shut up unless they can. I mean... wth?!

Also... this

Most people don't understand and choose to hate on Apple

....is textbook 'Apple fanboy' rhetoric right here. You might want to go see a doctor for being that 'enlightened person who does understand Apple'.

Apple - a multi billion dollar company that releases what, three different products per year and still can't get it right after a dozen iterations. Such fantastic engineering!

Last edited:
Let me throw a monkey wrench into your argument there: unless you carry your Macbook in your hand, you're also carrying a bag that adds to those numbers ;)
I think this is exactly the part where we don't understand each other very well. :p

The whole point of light, slim notebooks is that you don't need a special laptop bag (or backpack). You can put it in whatever you normally use. Even if there's no laptop compartment/pocket, you can put it in the main one with other things. Ultrabooks are usually very well built, so you don't have to worry about damage. If you can't live with scratches, you just buy a light sleeve.
And with 8+ hours of battery life, you don't have to take the charger with you. :)
13" ultrabooks (like MacBook Air or Asus Zenbook) are so small most women can easily carry them in a purse.

Back in the day it used to look differently. We used to buy special laptop bags with separate compartments for the laptop and charger. Not only were they heavy, but you usually ended up carrying 2 bags, which is just an idiotic idea.
And yeah, I assume this is still an issue for most owners of gaming laptops (bulky, bad plastic, a lot of bending, large vents, huge power bricks). That's exactly why people buy expensive ultrabooks with worse performance. :)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
You saying this sounds just about as arrogant as others saying they should have designed it better. Until YOU have the answer, this comment has no place. If you can't design it properly, you shouldn't design it in the first place, how about that? If a product is released with faults like these, 'it just sounds like complaining' when people point it out. Yeah, us and all our first world problems, poor Apple. :roll::roll:

Honestly sometimes reading your comments is just perplexing and they are borderline flamebait more often than not. You're not adding anything of substance either but tell others to shut up unless they can. I mean... wth?!
I don't agree with how @Easy Rhino described his question and statement, so lets reframe it. How many Apple laptops have you owned and for how long? I've used Apple laptops for most of my professional career until recently (not because I had an option, I do now which is why I have a laptop with Linux on it.) I even at one point was a system administrator that had to deal with these laptops for the organization and very few of them failed (considering how many that company had.) That doesn't mean that I like Apple products or that I'd even buy one for myself, but it does give me some insight into the quality and possible issues that Apple laptops have had in the last 10 years.

I suspect that like a lot of other people in this thread are like you. You're not an Apple person, which makes sense. I would say that most people here aren't looking for what an Apple product provides in a laptop. With that said though, if you've never owned an Apple laptop, you seem to have a lot of opinions about them and why they are bad. Such scathing remarks without owning the thing is like a person writing a review for hardware that they don't even have but heard things on the internet that validates their narrative.
And yeah, I assume this is still an issue for most owners of gaming laptops (bulky, bad plastic, a lot of bending, large vents, huge power bricks). That's exactly why people buy expensive ultrabooks with worse performance. :)
Hold your horses there, bub. I got a HP Spectre to replace a baseline model 15" MBP from several years ago. The HP Spectre is easily as fast if not faster than the MBP I used to have when it comes to CPU speed.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
I don't agree with how @Easy Rhino described his question and statement, so lets reframe it. How many Apple laptops have you owned and for how long? I've used Apple laptops for most of my professional career until recently (not because I had an option, I do now which is why I have a laptop with Linux on it.) I even at one point was a system administrator that had to deal with these laptops for the organization and very few of them failed (considering how many that company had.) That doesn't mean that I like Apple products or that I'd even buy one for myself, but it does give me some insight into the quality and possible issues that Apple laptops have had in the last 10 years.

I suspect that like a lot of other people in this thread are like you. You're not an Apple person, which makes sense. I would say that most people here aren't looking for what an Apple product provides in a laptop. With that said though, if you've never owned an Apple laptop, you seem to have a lot of opinions about them and why they are bad. Such scathing remarks without owning the thing is like a person writing a review for hardware that they don't even have but heard things on the internet that validates their narrative.

Hold your horses there, bub. I got a HP Spectre to replace a baseline model 15" MBP from several years ago. The HP Spectre is easily as fast if not faster than the MBP I used to have when it comes to CPU speed.
I agree. I’ve owned my share of many tech brands, and I’ve had zero trouble with anything Apple. Their stuff seems to last a long time and feels solidly built. The only hardware brand I’ve sworn off is Microsoft. From Surface, Band, Xbox, and Lumia, I think my RMA rate with them is probably over 50%. Like you, I get why some folks don’t like Apple, but I think their quality issues get overblown. Our current way of communicating brand quality is very flawed. A few people talk about a bad experience and then it’s hyperbole city. And let’s face it, any time Apple is in the crosshairs, it’s multiple pages of comments and click-gold for the tech sites. No other brand draws a crowd like Apple, good or bad.

I agree. I’ve owned my share of many tech brands, and I’ve had zero trouble with anything Apple. Their stuff seems to last a long time and feels solidly built. The only hardware brand I’ve sworn off is Microsoft. From Surface, Band, Xbox, and Lumia, I think my RMA rate with them is probably over 50%. Like you, I get why some folks don’t like Apple, but I think their quality issues get overblown. Our current way of communicating brand quality is very flawed. A few people talk about a bad experience and then it’s hyperbole city. And let’s face it, any time Apple is in the crosshairs, it’s multiple pages of comments and click-gold for the tech sites. No other brand draws a crowd like Apple, good or bad.

You are missing the point here, apple creates devices for daily use in office or white collar environment. if you use an apple computer in an air conditioned room with a riser stand, it will probably last longer but, most of the notebook users and programmers using their hardware literally everywhere, apple can't stand to that punishment, their hardware is so fragile, that you can break any apple computer at the field, robotics competition in its 1st day, maybe in the 1st hour. the reason why we use Thinkpad's or Precisions's are we need reliability across the workspace, not just at the office, we must be able to get our gear, go to the field, use there all day long, charge with 3rd party power supply, left at direct sun, and get back to the office for debugging etc.

Surface sucks, I don't seek neither intelligence nor knowledge about hardware or software on the people who buys them, its better to get thinkpad tablet and use it. Lumia phones WERE great, they had tons of features years before android or ios had (scanning documents, hyperlapse my favorites). Xbox 360 (after they fixed the RROD) is the most stable hardware I've ever used. I have own one from 2008 and it still works with original controllers, I just replace batteries and hit play, that's it (although, the time of HALO is passed and I don't use it anymore like I used to, but running for 10 years? I haven't seen any apple hardware last that long, even in a household environment.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
You are missing the point here, apple creates devices for daily use in office or white collar environment. if you use an apple computer in an air conditioned room with a riser stand, it will probably last longer but, most of the notebook users and programmers using their hardware literally everywhere, apple can't stand to that punishment, their hardware is so fragile, that you can break any apple computer at the field, robotics competition in its 1st day, maybe in the 1st hour. the reason why we use Thinkpad's or Precisions's are we need reliability across the workspace, not just at the office, we must be able to get our gear, go to the field, use there all day long, charge with 3rd party power supply, left at direct sun, and get back to the office for debugging etc.

Surface sucks, I don't seek neither intelligence nor knowledge about hardware or software on the people who buys them, its better to get thinkpad tablet and use it. Lumia phones WERE great, they had tons of features years before android or ios had (scanning documents, hyperlapse my favorites). Xbox 360 (after they fixed the RROD) is the most stable hardware I've ever used. I have own one from 2008 and it still works with original controllers, I just replace batteries and hit play, that's it (although, the time of HALO is passed and I don't use it anymore like I used to, but running for 10 years? I haven't seen any apple hardware last that long, even in a household environment.
I just sold a 2009 Mac Pro last year. Chassis was beat up, but that machine still held up well today with the fastest available Xeons installed along with a modern GPU and SSD. Still, I won’t deny that in your particular use cases a Mac isn’t going to hold up. I can only tell you that the Apple stuff I have owned has survived my usage just fine for years. I do tend to think Apple chases thin too hard, so I have not purchased a MBP, but I love my 5K iMac. As for MS, no argument on Nokia Lumias. I loved every one of them I owned, from the 521, 925, 1020 to 1520. The MS-made 950 with W10M made me sad though. My 360 E is still going strong, but my past XboxOne hardware experiences have been less than stellar, from disc read errors to controller and accessory failures. It’s a shame, cause I prefer the XboxOne controller, but when I built my gaming HTPC, I went with a DS4 controller.

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
Tough Book FTW!
(yes this is a low quality post)

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's a Security Torx screw head. Just buy a driver set to handle them. I got one from Amazon for like $15 with many sizes.

More than Apple uses them. Xbox 360 controllers use them. I had one to get my controller apart and then gave it to my grandpa because he ran into them on one of his projects. I think he just broke the peg off using a needle nose pliers and used a normal Torx bit to get it out.
I know, I thought about getting a set but I carry enough around and I just drill out and use a normal torx bit

MiltonQ

I have the same problem. Seems like if the Macbook has been sleeping for much longer periods of time I will get static-like white, horizontal lines or (once) colored blocks on the lower half of the screen. Most of the time the screen blinks like crazy. If I shut the lid and open it back up, it sometimes goes away. Other times I have to restart. It's a pain in the ass and I wish Apple would just cop to it already.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
My friend and I are seeing this issue on our 2019 MacBook Pros with Vega 20 GPUs while connected to an external display via a USB-C to HDMI adapter. Very similar to this: and https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-i7-32gb-1tb-vega-20-screen-flicker.2156679/

That's the level of quality you get for shelling out the big bucks. Please, vote with your wallet - return that and buy something that isn't ridiculously overpriced and actually works correctly.