• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Seeks to Patent MacBook Air Design, OLED Brightness

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Apple products have a great user experience. That's all i care about.
i pick up Android and Windows stuff and they have too many inconsistancies when using them, from stutter scrolling to various other quirks not to mention cheaper quality parts, you can often tell that no one before production of these various mobile devices ever sat down with the product and tried to perfect it.
what Apple innovates or not or what patent they have doesn't mean crap to a product that has a great feel and does what is expected with consistancy. Something that my Windows laptop has never had nor my Android phone...at least when i buy something Apple, i know what i can expect. i don't have to research 200 models from various companies just to use the same apps and OS they all offer.
My ipod and ipad to this day, have literally outlasted with consistant performance and quick access from a great feeling UI than any MP3 player and touch device that i've ever owned, which was quite a few more than i'd care to admit.
That alone speaks volumes more than what Patent they are abusing or what they stole from some company that obviously couldn't do enough with on their own.

While I cannot disagree with the smooth factor of Apple products, their performance and cheap quality parts is utter crap. If you are comparing a I phone to a equal priced and featured phone from samsung, moto, or HTC you will be sorry to know they almost all use the same manufacturers and parts.

Screen, Gorilla glass.
ARM Processors.
Samsung (ARM) or Nvidia GPU
Memory is generic
Micro SD doesn't become magic when inserted in a Apple

Just make sure to hold your phone this way or use a cover, that is if you want it to work.
We have no Wifi issues.
Macs Don't need anti-virus.
Macs take care of themselves.
Macs don't break.

YOu can justify to yourself your purchase however you want, but don't try and pawn it off on the rest of us here as being a superior device, its not.

Processor Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z68-GD65-G3
Cooling Kuhler 620
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) 2xASUS GTX670 DC2 TOP
Storage 1x128GB SanDisk SDSSDX + 1x1TB WD Black
Display(s) Dell U2312HM
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Sorry, but thie idea of a thinner lighter laptop is what ALL laptop makers have been doing for years.

Having the idea and actually releasing one is two different things. Why didn't any other company come up with the design first? Why did they start having roughly the same design as the MBA after the MBA's release? If it had been in work for years then it would've been different by now.

I am by no means trying to justify Apple's patent trolling, but completely ignoring the drastic design similarities and saying stuff like 'ripped off from the guy who made the first laptop' is plain blind hating.

The X60 is a great laptop (for its time) but its nothing similar to the MBA, it has an optical drive (yes that is a HUGE difference) and is not natively designed (of the laptop not OS) for SSDs. Its doesnt have a slim profile and is as thick as the laptops back then, just that its smaller thats all.

Its an widely known fact that ht designs of UBs released by Intel is based on MBAs, so if you can't at least credit Apple for that then I have nothing else to say.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I prefer PC/Android/Sansa over iMac/iPhone/iPod

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Having the idea and actually releasing one is two different things. Why didn't any other company come up with the design first? Why did they start having roughly the same design as the MBA after the MBA's release? If it had been in work for years then it would've been different by now.

I am by no means trying to justify Apple's patent trolling, but completely ignoring the drastic design similarities and saying stuff like 'ripped off from the guy who made the first laptop' is plain blind hating.

The X60 is a great laptop (for its time) but its nothing similar to the MBAexcept it was thin and light and had magnesium covers., it has an optical drive (yes that is a HUGE difference)Of course, which Apple makes you pay more for, and it requires you to carry it as a separate device and is not natively designed (of the laptop not OS) for SSDsI was unaware we had cost effective SSD's in 2005, please go on, tell us more oh enlightened one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive whoops, 2008-2009 they started becoming mainstream......shucks darn. Its doesnt have a slim profile and is as thick as the laptops back then, just that its smaller thats all.
Its an widely known fact that ht designs of UBs released by Intel is based on MBAs, so if you can't at least credit Apple for that then I have nothing else to say.

You are right, I'm so wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
i pick up Android and Windows stuff and they have too many inconsistancies when using them, from stutter scrolling to various other quirks not to mention cheaper quality parts, you can often tell that no one before production of these various mobile devices ever sat down with the product and tried to perfect it.
what Apple innovates or not or what patent they have doesn't mean crap to a product that has a great feel and does what is expected with consistancy. Something that my Windows laptop has never had nor my Android phone...at least when i buy something Apple, i know what i can expect. i don't have to research 200 models from various companies just to use the same apps and OS they all offer.
My ipod and ipad to this day, have literally outlasted with consistant performance and quick access from a great feeling UI than any MP3 player and touch device that i've ever owned, which was quite a few more than i'd care to admit.
That alone speaks volumes more than what Patent they are abusing or what they stole from some company that obviously couldn't do enough with on their own.

:laugh: windows is crap, we all know that, but choosing iOS over android :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw He systematically destroys iOS.
It's all the same, eh. That's great except you're getting screwed in the process. One option isn't good. Who is proud of having only one choice, well, what choice. That's it. Group think is horrible.

Then you're basically condoning unethical and illegal behavior to use a crappy device, wow.

And learn how to spell. Hell, it's built in to browsers.

Last edited:
Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Apple also has a habit of applying for patents on technology they've had nothing to do with.... Apple allied for a patent for using multiple OLED screens to produce 3D images, yet Apple was in no way related to the development of OLED screens according to the information I can find. So, why can they file for a patent that's specific to a technology they have no claim to?

A patent doesn't require the development of new technology. It does allow for the use of existing technology in a new or different way. With all due respect, your question seems to suggest that you were not aware of that fact.

So I don't question the OLED patent application because I don't know enough about how Apple plans to implement it in a new or different way.

I'm calling BS on the wedge design though. It seems sketchy to me for a number of different reasons. It references the basic shape of a palm rest on a keyboard in part or in whole that is not exclusive to Apple hardware and has been in practice for many years before Apple used it.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
As soon as I saw that headline, I thought, Ultrabooks, and sure enough.... That's the last straw for me. Apple is garbage along with whoever is approving their patents. Innovators my ass.

yeah Apple and all this Patent BS is ridiculous. They are restricting innovation in technology. They innovate, now they want it to stop dead in its tracks. Oh and then they sue there competitors when even they made a better product, because of patent infringement on technologies that aren't even Apples.

Last edited:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

here you go. how is this for quality? Oh wait the Iphone shattered.:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jViSKlAeYYs&feature=related