• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple starting to use new screws to prevent users from upgrading their hardware!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Then why aren't you bitching at Nintendo for doing this to their consoles?

i certainly give the wii a kick up the butt for its flaws. i run my wii games through an emulator now on PC, higher res, better textures and higher FPS XD

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
when the consumers of apple products give a crap about price or what the benefits are of having an iMac are other then just because they look cool in white, then i'l let you know.

IMO you could have an iMac with a dual beverage cooler built in and people would still jump through hoops of fire to buy it reguardless of the price.

Just to point out, no other all-in-one has an IPS panel. iMac does have some benefits over it's competitors, and is not effected by these oddball screws, AFAIK.

Apple does have some things that are worth what they charge.
Or take it to an Apple store, because "they are the only ones that can work on Apples", and pay $600 for a replacement hard drive plus labor, but it is better than the alternative of buying brand new equivalant Apple product.:laugh:

Because there hasn't been anything worth openning a Nintendo console for in generations.
I own a couple Apple products, and still work on them myself.

I opened my Wii to mod chip it. Easier to deal with than updating softmods.

This whole thing is just making a mountain out of a molehill. Typical of this forum at times, tbh.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Just to point out, no other all-in-one has an IPS panel. iMac does have some benefits over it's competitors, and is not effected by these oddball screws, AFAIK.

Apple does have some things that are worth what they charge.

They have a few benefits, but none that make them worth what they charge. And often times the negatives outweigh the benefits.

I own a couple Apple products, and still work on them myself.

I opened my Wii to mod chip it. Easier to deal with than updating softmods.

I editted the post, I meant there isn't anything worth openning the console that the average users is concerned with.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
They have a few benefits, but none that make them worth what they charge. And often times the negatives outweigh the benefits.

I editted the post, I meant there isn't anything worth openning the console that the average users is concerned with.
Actually, the iMac is worth every penny of what they charge, as is the base model Mac Pro, and a couple other things. Never buy upgrades at Apple however, you will get raped. Not here to discuss the horribly anti-Apple bias in these forums tho. It's like blindly devoted Apple fanboys, only in reverse. They have pros and cons, just like every other OEM machine/pmp/smart phone in existence.

There isn't anything worth opening the iPhone4 that the average users are concerned with.

And the user that is savvy enough to open their electronics for upgrades and maintenance, is savvy enough to Google search for the tool needed to do the job.

Again, mountain out of a molehill. This doesn't effect anyone that can't figure out how to get around it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Actually, the iMac is worth every penny of what they charge, as is the base model Mac Pro, and a couple other things. Never buy upgrades at Apple however, you will get raped. Not here to discuss the horribly anti-Apple bias in these forums tho. It's like blindly devoted Apple fanboys, only in reverse. They have pros and cons, just like every other OEM machine/pmp/smart phone in existence.

There isn't anything worth opening the iPhone4 that the average users are concerned with.

And the user that is savvy enough to open their electronics for upgrades and maintenance, is savvy enough to Google search for the tool needed to do the job.

Again, mountain out of a molehill. This doesn't effect anyone that can't figure out how to get around it.

I would disagree with them being worth every penny they charge, but as you said that is another topic. I will say they are very good products, just not worth the money.

I also don't care about the special screws in the IPhone4. I'm more concerned with the screws being used on the Macbooks. There certainly are some parts inside of those, HDD/SDD and Battery and RAM, that the average user would want to upgrade. And yes, they probably could do a search for the right tool, but they shouldn't have to.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i certainly give the wii a kick up the butt for its flaws. i run my wii games through an emulator now on PC, higher res, better textures and higher FPS XD

So you can emulate a Wii game with better quality on a PC than on the original hardware? Wow, that's got to be worth one of these: :roll:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
glad to see a lot of nerd rage being vented in here tonight. makes me feel safer walking the streets.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
And to all those defending Apple here and criticising us for hating their sorry ass, I haven't seen you give a single concrete reason why they should be bought in preference to other brands.

For example, claiming 10 out of 10 satisfaction is untrue, smacks of fanboism and doesn't mean the product is better.

However, lots of good, concrete arguments have been against giving Jobs your precious money.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
it is no surprise to me that people who enjoy building their own rigs, upgrading them, overclocking them, modding them and playing games on them would not understand why others purposefully buy a mac. it is ok to buy a computer because you like the operating system and the way the body looks. a lot of people are afraid of computers and want something that feels simple to operate. there is nothing wrong with that. like i said, a lot of nerd rage being vented here. i guess this is just another opportunity for people to feel superior to others.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
it is no surprise to me that people who enjoy building their own rigs, upgrading them, overclocking them, modding them and playing games on them would not understand why others purposefully buy a mac. it is ok to buy a computer because you like the operating system and the way the body looks. a lot of people are afraid of computers and want something that feels simple to operate. there is nothing wrong with that. like i said, a lot of nerd rage being vented here. i guess this is just another opportunity for people to feel superior to others.

This is just another way of saying that Apple gouges their hapless, ignorant customers. They bleed them dry and control every little thing they can do with them. The trouble with stuff like this, is that if a company becomes successful with tactics like this, then the rest of of the bloody market follows it and the likes of us get stuck with this shit. And that's infuriating. :banghead: Unfortunately, Apple seem to be on the rise with this. Just take a look at the iPad. It got panned in quite a lot of reviews for some very obvious shortcomings. Yet despite this and an inflated price tag, it sells in the millions. And now look, lots of other manufacturers are doing the same thing.

It's not nerd rage here, it's people who know better.

Just take a look at what Mussels said: 2/3 of people he's let compare their Mac with his PC have switched over to a PC. That says a lot about Apple products.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
While apple is not entirely bad, and they have lowered their prices recently... by quite a bit, and they do have some niche markets where they are the only ones doing ths so no competition (therefore if you want an IPS All-in-one, it's Mac or nothing),They are not at all "better quality" IMO

[QUOTE="WirigleyVillain]How many non-techy people do you know who actually have the skills to swap out their own RAM much less their Hard Drive?[/QUOTE]

Probably everyone. Everyone has the skills,they just are too scared. Call me a genius, but I successfully assembled a computer FROM SCRATCH at 7 years old. Granted it took me like 3+ hours and my dad installed the CPU cooler and I couldn't lift the case to put it straight, but it actually worked! My 12 year old cousin was smart enough to take out his hard drive from his computer and put it in his big brothers computer, and take the Hard drive of his big brother into his computer to steal a game XD (it worked as both were fresh installs and the same exact computer except for the case).

People are just to damn scared and a minority are just to damn lazy and filthy rich.

@Frick

Apple's "high quality" stuff is BS. Call old IBM laptops and keyboards "high quality", new that is true. My sister's 13" Macbook Pro mid-2009 that cost us OVER 2200$ CAD (at the time it was 1$CAD:1$USD. now CAD is stronger lol) is PAINFULLY slow. Not to mention it's damn heavy for a 13" IMO (1.1 lbs more than the 13" laptops at work). I litteraly helped 7 of her friends for at least 1 hour each for various problems. It 3 of them was because they didn't understand how to use a mac and thought it was TOO DAMN COMPLICATED (Mac simple? huh?). 1 of them had faulty hardware.
Between my cousin and his 3 friends who all have Iphones, only one did not break their Iphone, and 2 of them broke it TWICE. I've seen one fall in front of my eyes and couldn't believe it broke. We were SITTING and he dropped his brand new Iphone 3GS, the screen was COMPLETELY CRACKED., the phone still worked, but ALL and ANY text was unreadable.

There are far more PC users than Apple users, so you don't here much about apple problems, and since Apple targets a higher-end market, alot of the people just go to apple store to repair it and STFU instead of complaining. Not to mention alot of them are die-hard Apple fans and wouldn't complaining online or to friends at all.

I have a Jailbroken Ipod Touch (free with my sister's MBP) and I love it, but I still think that Apple is no better than their competitors from which I buy from

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
This is just another way of saying that Apple gouges their hapless, ignorant customers. They bleed them dry and control every little thing they can do with them. The trouble with stuff like this, is that if a company becomes successful with tactics like this, then the rest of of the bloody market follows it and the likes of us get stuck with this shit. And that's infuriating. :banghead:

apple has been very successful selling macs for years and the pc still exists and dominates the market. you dont have to worry.

Unfortunately, Apple seem to be on the rise with this. Just take a look at the iPad. It got panned in quite a lot of reviews for some very obvious shortcomings. Yet despite this and an inflated price tag, it sells in the millions. And now look, lots of other manufacturers are doing the same thing.

so?

It's not nerd rage here, it's people who know better.

Just take a look at what Mussels said: 2/3 of people he's let compare their Mac with his PC have switched over to a PC. That says a lot about Apple products.

a lot of people like OSX and like the way Macs look. nothing wrong with that.

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
The Apple look is what sells the most IMO... I know half my school has macs cuz it's cool. They have an older laptop for anything that doesn't work on the macs lol. Since looks aren't that important to me, and I personally only somewhat like the mac look, it's hard for me to agree on it being justifiable to purchase apple products for the look. Another thing that surprisingly sells, is that zoom-in thing with 2 fingers. I'm wondering why almost no manufacturers do the same?

Ipad is an AWESOME idea and helped popularize tablets. what sucks is the implementation. But they marketed it so well that they sold an enormous mount. The Ipad is an enlarged Ipod touch.

I still don't like apple. Though they did make me some $$ in the stocks :D

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

So, the market gets flooded with high priced, mediocre kit with "app stores" that lock you into a walled garden. What the hell is an iPad-like device genuinely useful for anyway that a cheaper laptop/netbook with a proper keyboard can't do better?

When using it, it ties up a hand constantly, the touchscreen interface has no tactile feel and dumbs down everything.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
a lot of people like OSX and like the way Macs look. nothing wrong with that.
...but do they really or do they only like it because Apple told them to like it?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
So, the market gets flooded with high priced, mediocre kit with "app stores" that lock you into a walled garden. What the hell is an iPad-like device genuinely useful for anyway that a cheaper laptop/netbook with a proper keyboard can't do better?

When using it, it ties up a hand constantly, the touchscreen interface has no tactile feel and dumbs down everything.

then don't buy one?

...but do they really or do they only like it because Apple told them to like it?

if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it then does it make a sound?

System Name Homelabs

You can't bash Apple for their insanely good marketing... I bet they have the best psychologists n shit because seriously, their marketing is genius. They could sell a dead mouse with a half-eaten apple tatooed on it's stomach for fortune if they wanted to (ofc they would lose some fan-base, but it would still work xD)

In this sense, yes you can bash apple fans fairly

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
then don't buy one?

Of course I won't buy one. My point is that consumer choice starts to become limited to these kinds of devices. At the extreme end of the scale, if a rubbish product type becomes too popular, it marginalizes the better ones out of the market and one is stuck with getting that or nothing.

Even if this doesn't happen, it can end up inflating the prices of the better products and reducing choice.

This is what bothers me and it does happen.

Re your previous comment about PCs dominating the market. Yes, they do now, but the market for them is starting to get eroded by these inferior devices. I wouldn't bank on the PC market with it's high performance computers, with reasonably priced hardware and software upgrades and peripherals dominating in the next five years.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it then does it make a sound?
It does but I don't see how that is relevant...or is that the point you are trying to make? :laugh:

You can't bash Apple for their insanely good marketing... I bet they have the best psychologists n shit because seriously, their marketing is genius. They could sell a dead mouse with a half-eaten apple tatooed on it's stomach for fortune if they wanted to (ofc they would lose some fan-base, but it would still work xD)

In this sense, yes you can bash apple fans fairly
I wouldn't dare bash Apple's marketing. They're probably better at brain washing than the CIA and serious, I am.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Of course I won't buy one. My point is that consumer choice starts to become limited to these kinds of devices. At the extreme end of the scale, if a rubbish product type becomes too popular, it marginalizes the better ones out of the market and one is stuck with getting that or nothing.

Even if this doesn't happen, it can end up inflating the prices of the better products and reducing choice.

This is what bothers me and it does happen.

Re your previous comment about PCs dominating the market. Yes, they do now, but the market for them is starting to get eroded by these inferior devices. I wouldn't bank on the PC market with it's high performance computers, with reasonably priced hardware and software upgrades and peripherals dominating in the next five years.

if a product is rubbish then eventually people will move onto another product. it happens all the time. truth is, the ipad is not rubbish nor are apple products. the people here just dont like them because you cant overclock them or mod them or do any upgrades to them without paying an ass ton. apple has found a very powerful niche to sell to. more power to them. technology changes quickly and products come and go over time. there are fluctuations in the marketplace and sometimes good products get pushed out.

FordGT90Concept said:
...or is that the point you are trying to make? :laugh:

my point is it is impossible to know. we could spend hours arguing in circles though if you prefer :laugh:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
if a product is rubbish then eventually people will move onto another product. it happens all the time.

Unfortunately, that's not necessarily true. Brand image and marketing are more important to a product's survival than geniune technical excellence. Think VHS v Betamax.

truth is, the ipad is not rubbish nor are apple products. the people here just dont like them because you cant overclock them or mod them or do any upgrades to them without paying an ass ton. apple has found a very powerful niche to sell to. more power to them. technology changes quickly and products come and go over time. there are fluctuations in the marketplace and sometimes good products get pushed out.

I'd still like to see just one example of how an iPad is genuinly superior to a notebook or netbook, which it's edging out. I'm not being funny with this question, I'd really like to see somone try and defend this. I doubt that I'll get a convincing answer.

And no, you can't just brush off the anti Apple sentiment as being because they can't be overclocked or modded by a fringe group of enthusiasts. And yes, being ripped off by being locked into buying "Apple only" overpriced upgrades is a genuine reason to criticise them. They also have limited hardware choices with things such as graphics cards. You have a choice of hundreds for a PC from the whole market, but only a few "Apple approved" ones with a special BIOS for a Mac. This sounds like a dictatorship to me.

Can you even put a GTX 580 in an Apple, for instance? Or does it need a special "Apple" BIOS? Does an Apple desktop even have a PSU beefy enough to run one? I doubt it. You can't buy one either, not even an Apple made one at an inflated price. This is definitely something to bitch about.

These are all fine examples of the market being led by the will of Steve Jobs, rather than Apple meeting customer demand, which is what should be happening. No wonder phrases like "Cult of Mac" and "Reality distortion field" are bandied about so much.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
Apple products are great for people that aren't tech saavy. I was using PowerMacs with motorola processors back in the day for photoshop before they idiot proofed everything. Now Apple is a PC with training wheels. Especially with OSX onward. Crippled, overpriced, and the easiest to use option out there. Their market is "ease of use" and "function follows form". PC's are "bang for buck","form follows function", and "strength from diversity".

System Name Homelabs
I don't see how OSX is easy to use... most people are used to windows and the adaptation to OSX is far from easy

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
Can you even put a GTX 580 in an Apple, for instance? Or does it need a special "Apple" BIOS? Does an Apple desktop even have a PSU beefy enough to run one? I doubt it. You can't buy one either, not even an Apple made one at an inflated price. This is definitely something to bitch about.

You are referring to EFI which requires the driver to be built into it basically. For the longest time Apple said only they can make Apple OS computers. There was a brief time they allowed others to create Mac OS computers and I had one when they came out. They were branded PowerMacs and they had IDE rather than the overpriced SCSI at the time. They were cheaper and performed the same. I put PC optical drives in it. I even installed an IDE CD burner and an IDE dvd rom in it from a PC build I had. Saved alot of money that way. :laugh:

I don't see how OSX is easy to use... most people are used to windows and the adaptation to OSX is far from easy

No drivers to worry about. No real threat of viruses from clicking on things that even a monkey would be nervous about(exploits/malware not compatible with its OS) . Up until recently their mice only used one button so you couldn't get confused from more buttons and so on.

Last edited:
Looks like the "if you don't know computers inside-out you should be shot dead" mob is out doing crazy dances again.

Guess what? whatever you do in life there's always a group of people looking down on you too.