• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple starting to use new screws to prevent users from upgrading their hardware!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i dont care if the ipad is better or not than a notebook. the ipad is found to be more useful for some people as it is smaller than a netbook and it is cool new technology. clearly you do not understand this. this entire thread is about people who are brainwashed into buying apple products. i am saying it is YOU who are brainwashed by the apple hating e-nerds. if you take that as an insult than i must have touched a nerve.

your idea that somehow apple's success will lead to the downfall of computers as we know it short sighted and obtuse. in the past 20 years microsoft has exploded around the globe despite the presence and resurgence of closed apple products. what's more the open source movement has made amazing traction over the past 15 years thanks to linux. so your entire argument is incredibly off base and wreaks of tin-foil hat conspiracies in 4chan.

Well, I must say that I agree with the bit in bold, if nothing else. :) It's certainly given Microsoft a headache and helped keep them in check.

furthermore, you didnt have to bring my mod status into this whole debate. it is clear now that you would like nothing more than for me to infract you so that it would bolster your pathetically small minded argument. now please, move along.

No, I don't want you to infract me. But I do feel the way you're talking to me is a bit off and I figured you might be itching to do it. I'm glad to be wrong. :toast:

Look, you see it your way and I see it mine and I'm quite happy to differ. I still haven't really had a proper answer to my question, but what the hell, it's not that important in the end; we're only having a chat, lol.

Perhaps if you look over our discussion, you'll see that I was being quite genuine with you, asking a straight question and wanted to see how you saw it as better, with solid examples of why this should be so.

Finally, I've thanked you, as a gesture of goodwill; I certainly don't like a fight with anyone, mods or not. It's water under the bridge for me now.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Well, I must say that I agree with the bit in bold, if nothing else. :) It's certainly given Microsoft a headache and helped keep them in check.

No, I don't want you to infract me. But I do feel the way you're talking to me is a bit off and I figured you might be itching to do it. I'm glad to be wrong. :toast:

Look, you see it your way and I see it mine and I'm quite happy to differ. I still haven't really had a proper answer to my question, but what the hell, it's not that important in the end; we're only having a chat, lol.

Perhaps if you look over our discussion, you'll see that I was being quite genuine with you, asking a straight question and wanted to see how you saw it as better, with solid examples of why this should be so.

Finally, I've thanked you, as a gesture of goodwill; I certainly don't like a fight with anyone, mods or not. It's water under the bridge for me now.

ok, fine. i dont care if people dont like apple products. everyone has their opinion. but what i dont like is when people act like the only reason people buy apple products is because they are brainwashed. that is so far off base that these days that argument is considered trolling. furthermore, gadgets that YOU find useful today exist because of the work of companies like apple that push the limits of technology. they are creative geniuses which means their work may not always be the most useful. that does not discredit the work they are doing however and only small minded individuals would honestly fail to see it.

vbx

Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper Z600
Memory Gskill 4gb DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 4670
Storage WD 320gb black
Display(s) Asus MS226H 21.5 monitor
Case Antec P180 Mini
Power Supply Antec NEO ECO 620C
Software Windows 7 x64
LOL, if you guys don't own a macbook, why complain about it? It's like me complaining about BMW expensive repair bills when I drive a Infiniti G.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Would you criticize a 10$ 700W PSU? why would you? you don't own one AFAIK

Sure there are some who are blindly bashing apple, but there are the ones who actually have apple products all around them, and in their house, and with best friends and family.

I don't think anybody is COMPLETELY discrediting apple. Ipad was an awesome idea, and without it, I doubt companies would be trying to do tablets. Iphone has some damn nice stuff about it, the sleek design of apple has caused envy, and alot of companies have refined the look of their laptops etc to make them look better. All this doesn't change the fact the Ipad could have been better. By how much? that's debatable. Doesn't change the fact that there are alot of apple fanboys who buy apple products when another product at a lot less $ would have suited his needs better.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
It's YOU who can't come up with one or two simple examples of how the iPad is better than a laptop/netbook, after I have posed this reasonable question several times now. I think you'll agree that it's the sort of question that any company would pose to justify their business case, should they contemplate buying them. Therefore, it's quite an important and standard question, no?

It's obvious you don't have the answer, or you wouldn't start accusing me. Come on Easy, I know you're better than this.

Saying that laptops are more cumbersome* and claiming that iPads are "cooler" - oh god :shadedshu - as reasons to buy isn't a compelling argument in their favour. The Cult of Apple and their Reality Distortion Field, indeed.

*Netbooks are arguably less cumbersome than the hallowed iPad, because they're real small and can be set down on a table and used with both hands, or used with one hand while holding with the other. With the iPad, one hand is always tied up (and getting fatigued) from holding it - remember extra keyboards and stands not allowed, we're talking about the basic functionality of the device.
No, but I already did, and so did a few others.

Yes, you can use keyboards and stands on ipad. Just goes to show you are spouting off about something you don't really know anything about. Seriously, your position every bit as bad as blindly devoted Apple fanboy.

Last edited:

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
guys dont mess with Wile E about apple. this thread will explode

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
No, but I already did.

Yes, you can use keyboards and stands on ipad. Just goes to show you are teh typical anti-mac guy spouting off about something he knows nothing about. Seriously, you are every bit as bad as blindly devoted Apple fanboy.

I think it all comes down to how you weight the advantages an disadvantages in the end. Some people weigh the advantages more heavily than the latter, and some the other way round.

Apple products certainly fit a niche and i'm glad they do well as they introduce extra competition into the market.

I personally dislike Macs because i know i can do the same and more with a PC.
I like the I-phone, but i'd never buy one (or any smart phone) as i use a phone to..well...phone, nothing more. I also would not find an I-Pad usefull as i have a laptop and if i wanted a reader, i would buy a reader.

I'm sure you can see that there is a lot of hype surrounding apple as they have done so well recently (their share-price depends on speculation on SJ's health, lol) and that sort of thing has momentum. With the PC market there is a lot less hype as we have many different manufactures doing the same thing..... Well apple do the same thing, just in a unique way, which makes them stand out.

TLDR; Apple products are suitable for some people but are over-hyped imo (leading to some people to believe they need an apple product, when another product would be just as suitable)

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
No, but I already did, and so did a few others.

Yes, you can use keyboards and stands on ipad. Just goes to show you are spouting off about something you don't really know anything about. Seriously, your position every bit as bad as blindly devoted Apple fanboy.

Re the bold bit: yes I know. I was saying to use the iPad in its native out of the box configuration when comparing and I was quite clear about that.

And I was asking Easy, not anyone else for an answer. I wanted his opinion.

I'm not spouting or blindly devoted about anything. Thanks.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Both Wile E and Easy know that I have some pretty good anti-Apple arguments and I could keep this thread going for a VERY long time. HOWEVER WHY? I mean this Apple bashing has been going on for over 30 years! Most of the hate came out of the clone days. Its enough already. If you don't like Apple (which I now hate) don't buy it. Thats what I do.

If you do like them great! Just don't act like you are above the curve like most Apple noobs think. (TPU community excluded from noob comment).

Ether way STFU!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Both Wile E and Easy know that I have some pretty good anti-Apple arguments and I could keep this thread going for a VERY long time. HOWEVER WHY? I mean this Apple bashing has been going on for over 30 years! Most of the hate came out of the clone days. Its enough already. If you don't like Apple (which I now hate) don't buy it. Thats what I do.

If you do like them great! Just don't act like you are above the curve like most Apple noobs think. (TPU community excluded from noob comment).

Ether way STFU!

I'd be very interested in your anti Apple arguments. If you'd like to tell me about them in PM, I'd be delighted to hear them! :)

System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/macheads/

It's really not worth watching IMO. It's exactly what you'd expect; a bunch of people who exhibit the same level of zeal as any religious fanatic. One woman even says that she has never knowingly slept with a Windows user :roll:.

The people in the documentary are annoying as hell and I only made it through it because I was writing code and drinking beer the whole time. Several of my friend's have macs, and none of them think highly of herr Jobs (or act like a goofy condescending dick). Anyone who is older than five knows Steve Wozniak is the real god :D.

I only got through the first two-and-a-half minutes, and that costed me more effort than installing Gentoo (as a manner of speaking).

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
...Apple bashing...

Ether way STFU!

M-M-M-Max Headroom.

British 1980's CGI using an Apple 2 :roll: and an actor in prosthetics

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Nothing brings out the misinformed, hive mind ignorance of this community more than an Apple thread. What is this [H]? I have stayed out for the most part since the beginning as I have enough infractions already,

Thanks Wile E and Mailman and Bonkers and the precious few other points of light and educated intelligence in this otherwise low-browed wasteland of a thread.

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
Sledge Hammer fixes all Apple products!!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Nothing brings out the misinformed, hive mind ignorance of this community more than an Apple thread. What is this [H]? I have stayed out for the most part since the beginning as I have enough infractions already,

Thanks Wile E and Mailman and Bonkers and the precious few other points of light and educated intelligence in this otherwise low-browed wasteland of a thread.

Yes, quite. Good thing then that I'm one of those precious few other points of light and educated intelligence who know what I'm talking about and bring the voice of reason to such a thread. ;)

Last edited:
what the fuck does iPad have to do with the topic again?

If anyone still cares, ifixit reports:

mid-2009 macbook pros use this special screw to fasten the batteries, note that batteries are internal and are only accessible after taking off the the entire back.(mid-2010 macbook pros use tri-wing instead of this five-point screw)

some iphone 4 and maybe newer iphone 4 use this screw to secure the back panel. removing the back panel exposes batteries, circuit boards and whatnot.

the new macbook airs use this type of screws to fasten the entire back panel. RAM is soldered on MBA, SSD is replaceable but is in a special form factor, batteries are also replaceable but it seems no one is offering parts ATM.

you can buy the special screw drivers from ifixit.

you can use or modify a slot head screw driver in emergency, but it's likely to ruin the screw head.