• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Subpoenas Valve for Steam's Data on 346 Games

AleksandarK

Staff member
Apple and Epic Games have had quite a turbulent history of legal issues in the past year. Fortnite, the world's biggest battle royale game, got removed from the Apple store because its developer, Epic Games, had refused to comply to store rules. If a developer is listing a game on the Apple store, all in-game payments must be processed through Apple, with the company taking a 30% tax cut for it. Epic Games didn't like that idea too much, so the company just used an external system that gave players the option to pay for in-game goods using different ways. However, that represented non-compliance to Apple store guidelines, and Apple took the Fortnite game down.

Update February 26th 07:50 UTC: In the court hearing on Wednesday, U.S. Magistrate Judge Thomas S. Hixson ordered that Apple's subpoena was considered valid. Valve's lawyers urged the judge to not force the company to produce the requested data, however, Apple's lawyers have said that the request is doable and the company is only requesting data on a few hundred games, and it could have been worse by requesting data on over 30000 games instead.

Epic Games has sued the famous fruit company over this practice, however, another big publisher is being dragged into the fight. Valve, the company behind the popular gaming platform, Steam, has just entered the fight. Apple has requested Valve to hand over information about 346 games and its user statistics, meaning the number of monthly, daily, etc. players and other useful information. This information request was made off the court and Valve has denied providing it. In the second attempt by Apple, the information requested was "very narrow" and Valve did not want to provide any more data. The response from Valve was that the company doesn't sell mobile games and has little business in the mobile world, thus making Apple's request irrelevant.

08:15 UTC: Apparently, in the court Valve stated that "Apple Has Not Shown Substantial Need For The Information It Demands", with the court hearing saying that "First, Apple argues the information it demands is necessary to calculate market size and definition. False. Apple, Google and Samsung compete with each other in the mobile app market. Valve does not compete in that market." The statement alone is noting that as Valve doesn't compete in the mobile market, the company will not enter legal disputes between the two companies and remains neutral. Requesting that much data from Valve would require too much work and Apple hasn't proved that there is any need for it, besides Apple's intentions to see the market size of games. Valve also notes that it is not a public company, and Apple's request for sales and earnings figures are illogical.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory PNY Anarchy-X XLR8 Red DDR4-3200 16GB kit & PNY Anarchy-X XLR8 Red DDR4-2666 16GB kit
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, SanDisk Ultra II 480 GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster C27H711 OC refresh rate 110Hz
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v2004
I don't see Valve wanting to play along with Apple's request considering Valve was the first evicted from Apple's App store.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: Athlon II x4 630 3.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: GIgabyte GA-770T-USB3
Cooling Corsair H70 :: Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 1866 :: 2x1GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) 2x PNY GTX1070 :: none
Storage Plextor M5s 128GB, WDC Black 500GB :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, WD RE3 1TB
Display(s) Acer P216HL HDMI :: None
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - iLive IT153B Soundbar (optical) :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: something
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Sounds to me like Apple is missing that sweet Fortnite money.

Processor Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory 16GB(2x8) DDR3@2133MHz 1.5v Patriot
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity
Storage 59.63GB Samsung SSD 830 + 465.76 GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO + 2TB Hitachi + 300GB Velociraptor HDD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Anker
Software Win 10 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
30% ?? I wonder who are the biggest thieves...

PowerOfLard

"Apple’s Request 2 is very narrow. It simply requests documents sufficient to show Valve’s: (a) total yearly sales of apps and in-app products; (b) annual advertising revenues from Steam; (c) annual sales of external products attributable to Steam; (d) annual revenues from Steam; and (e) annual earnings (whether gross or net) from Steam. Apple has gone as far as requesting this information in any readily accessible format, but Valve refuses to produce it."

"(a) the name of each App on Steam; (b) the date range when the App was available on Steam; and (c) the price of the App and any in-app product available on Steam."
_____
"Apple has requested Valve to hand over information about Fortnite and its user statistics, meaning the number of monthly, daily, etc. players and other useful information."

i don't think Fortnite was ever available on steam... why would you write something like this?

AleksandarK

Staff member
"Apple’s Request 2 is very narrow. It simply requests documents sufficient to show Valve’s: (a) total yearly sales of apps and in-app products; (b) annual advertising revenues from Steam; (c) annual sales of external products attributable to Steam; (d) annual revenues from Steam; and (e) annual earnings (whether gross or net) from Steam. Apple has gone as far as requesting this information in any readily accessible format, but Valve refuses to produce it."

"(a) the name of each App on Steam; (b) the date range when the App was available on Steam; and (c) the price of the App and any in-app product available on Steam."
_____
"Apple has requested Valve to hand over information about Fortnite and its user statistics, meaning the number of monthly, daily, etc. players and other useful information."

i don't think Fortnite was ever available on steam... why would you write something like this?
It is updated to be clearer and I made a mistake. Thank you for pointing it out :)

I don't see Valve wanting to play along with Apple's request considering Valve was the first evicted from Apple's App store.
The enemy of an enemy can be a friend here. EPIC is the main competitor to Steam on the desktop space, so it is also in the interest of Steam to subtly help Apple without wanting to get involved directly.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling stock crap AMD wraith cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro RX580 8GBs
Storage Adata Gammix S11 Pro 1TB nvme
Case Corsair Caribide Air 540
Remember how Steam Link was unceremoniously denied app store release just weeks before release, when the product was practically done and ready? It took them another year to reverse that decision. Apple hasn't been making many friends with its policies.

japkoslav

I had no idea this court case hurt Apple in such a way they are getting really desperate.
Good for Valve and I hope they won't be forced by court to provide that statistics (for this court case) in future.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 1700X - 4.0 Ghz / 1.350V
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L240 V2
Memory 16GB - Corsair Vengeance LPX - 3333 Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) OEM Dell GTX 1080 with Kraken G12 + Water 3.0 Performer C
Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) 4K Samsung TV
Case Deepcool Matrexx 70
Power Supply GPS-750C
I am guessing this is for the Mac side of things, right ?

All Mac OSes barely brake the 1% mark combined, I am surprised Valve even bothered to respond at all. Why is Apple dead set on killing off everything gaming related to the Mac, their behavior seems irrational. But then I remembered that now their macs run iOS apps natively and they also have this thing called Apple Arcade.

And then it occurred to me, this is simply about killing off competition on their platform so that users don't have much of a choice but use their services.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard Biostar X370GTN
Cooling Custom CPU+GPU water loop
Memory 16GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C16
Video Card(s) AMD R9 Fury X
Storage 500GB 960 Evo (OS ++), 500GB 850 Evo (Games)
Display(s) Dell U2711
Case NZXT H200i
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Lenovo Compact Keyboard with Trackpoint
Software Windows 10 Pro
The enemy of an enemy can be a friend here. EPIC is the main competitor to Steam on the desktop space, so it is also in the interest of Steam to subtly help Apple without wanting to get involved directly.
And how, exactly, does it help Valve in their competition against Epic to disclose a massive amount of sales data to an unrelated third party? I mean, even if they should manage to drive Epic out of business (which, well, isn't happening) they would then have disclosed a massive amount of data to a large overall competitor in the gaming space (regardless if they don't compete on the same platforms).

I'm not a fan of Valve or their business practices overall, but this "request" from Apple is just plain-faced lunacy, even in its heavily edited later forms.

I am guessing this is for the Mac side of things, right ?

All Mac OSes barely brake the 1% mark combined, I am surprised Valve even bothered to respond at all. Why is Apple dead set on killing off everything gaming related to Mac ? But then I remembered that now their macs run iOS apps natively and they also have this thing called Apple Arcade.

And then it occurred to me, this is simply about killing off competition on their platform so that users don't have much of a choice but use their services.
The data they requested is for all Steam sales, but yes, that would allow them to identify which Steam games sell well on Mac and are widely played by Mac users, which would in turn give them some easy targets for buying studios/exclusivity deals, making Apple Arcade more attractive while hurting their biggest competitor in Mac gaming.

System Name Potato PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling ID Cooling SE 224XT Basic
Memory 32GB Team Dark Alpha DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT Mech OC
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + 8 TB Toshiba X300
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) Plantronic RIG 400
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Logitech G613
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
In the second attempt by Apple, the information requested was "very narrow"

Apple just being Apple, they treat other companies like they treat their own customers, "this is the best for you" with a barely readable footnotes of course.

And how, exactly, does it help Valve in their competition against Epic to disclose a massive amount of sales data to an unrelated third party? I mean, even if they should manage to drive Epic out of business (which, well, isn't happening) they would then have disclosed a massive amount of data to a large overall competitor in the gaming space (regardless if they don't compete on the same platforms).

I'm not a fan of Valve or their business practices overall, but this "request" from Apple is just plain-faced lunacy, even in its heavily edited later forms.
Denying them of profits they can make on iOS and potentially Google is going to hit EPIC quite badly in terms of earnings. Don't forget, EPIC got kicked out not just by Apple but also by Alphabet. Sometimes its not about driving a company out of business, but just keeping them in check. Whether Steam provides assistance to Apple, its their decision. If they choose to disclose, I am sure they must have felt that it is to their advantage. At this point, by not outright telling them to buzz off is a sign that there some willingness to corporate.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD TR4 2920X
Motherboard ASUS X399 STrix
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 420 x2 Noctua XPX Pro TR4 block
Memory ADATA D60 3600MHZ 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI 6800XT Gaming Trio X
Storage 6 x NVME 480 GB, 2 x SSD 2TB, 5TB HDD, 2 TB HDD, 2x 2TB SSHD
Display(s) GIGABYTE 32QC
Case PHANTEKS ENTHOO PRO
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1200!
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 24955 Time Spy: 13500
Denying them of profits they can make on iOS and potentially Google is going to hit EPIC quite badly in terms of earnings. Don't forget, EPIC got kicked out not just by Apple but also by Alphabet. Sometimes its not about driving a company out of business, but just keeping them in check. Whether Steam provides assistance to Apple, its their decision. If they choose to disclose, I am sure they must have felt that it is to their advantage. At this point, by not outright telling them to buzz off is a sign that there some willingness to corporate.
Ha, Epic does not need Apple nor Alphabet. Fortnite is doing plenty fine by itself. Regardless of that Epic has enough developer licenses to not need anyone really. The Gaming houses are not going to go against each other against the evil empires. If you doubt what I am saying GOG Galaxy can fully integrate your digital PC and console library (including acheivements).

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard Biostar X370GTN
Cooling Custom CPU+GPU water loop
Memory 16GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C16
Video Card(s) AMD R9 Fury X
Storage 500GB 960 Evo (OS ++), 500GB 850 Evo (Games)
Display(s) Dell U2711
Case NZXT H200i
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Lenovo Compact Keyboard with Trackpoint
Software Windows 10 Pro
To put it simply: Apple is far more of a threat to Valve/Steam than Epic is. Giving away proprietary sales data to them to fight off Epic is like sawing off your legs to combat athlete's foot.

System Name Flavour of the month. I roll through hardware like it's not even mine (it often isn't).
Processor 3900X, 3600XT, 2700U
Motherboard Aorus X570 Elite, B550 DS3H
Cooling Alphacool CPU+GPU soft-tubing loop (Laing D5 360mm+140mm), AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 32GB Patriot 3600CL17, 32GB Corsair LPX 3200CL16, 16GB HyperX 2400CL14
Video Card(s) 2070S, 5700XT, Vega10
Storage 1TB WD S100G, 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro, 1TB MX500, 500GB Hynix 2242 bastard thing, 16TB of rust + backup
Display(s) Dell SG3220 165Hz VA, Samsung 65" Q9FN 120Hz VA
Case NZXT H440NE, Silverstone GD04 (almost nothing original left inside, thanks 3D printer!)
Audio Device(s) CA DacMagic+ with Presonus Eris E5, Yamaha RX-V683 with Q Acoustics 3000-series, Sony MDR-1A
Power Supply BeQuiet StraightPower E9 680W, Corsair RM550, and a 45W Lenovo DC power brick, I guess.
Mouse G303, MX Anywhere 2, Another MX Anywhere 2.
Keyboard CM QuickFire Stealth (Cherry MX Brown), Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
Software W10
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Why would Apple think Valve is going to comply voluntarily?!

Valve stands to gain absolutely nothing but trouble by getting involved in this billionaire's squabble, and both Apple and Epic are "enemies" of Valve that have directly harmed Valve's business in one way or another in the recent past.

The only way Valve is likely to comply is if they are paid (extremely well) for the data, or if they are forced to hand it over by law.

Apple is a perfect example of the saying. The brighter the Picture the Darker the negative. I have met some apple people in my life that think apple is the greatest thing in the world. Saying they are the best computers ever and they invented everything. I scanned his apple once and found over 130 infections on it. He said I faked the scan. Apple has brainwashed these people. It's nothing more but a PC running Unix with a fancy GUI.

Processor i7 8700k 4.7Ghz @ 1.26v
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X @ 2100/5500
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (34'' 3440x1440x)
Case Fractal Design Define C TG
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Mouse Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum
Keyboard Sharkoon MK80 (Brown)
Software W10 x64
The war for digital distribution continues...

Take special note of the value of 'meta'data.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL, HTC Vive
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 10 Professional/Linux Mint
System Name Nebulon-B
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (WiFi)
Cooling Corsair H100i Platinum RGB
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT
Storage 1 TB Corsair MP600 Core, 1 TB Corsair MP400, 512 GB ADATA SU900
Display(s) Samsung C24F396
Case AeroCool Aero One Mini Eclipse
Audio Device(s) Genius SP-HF160 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 550W
Mouse Cherry MW 8
Keyboard MagicForce 68
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: ~10,000 points
nVidia (during the Hardware Unboxed fiasco): Finally I'm the no.1 shadiest, slimiest, dirtiest tech company in the world.
Apple: Hold my beer.

System Name Intel Gaming Build
Processor i9-9900K - S-Spec SRG19
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified K
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Aegis F4-3200C16D-16GIS
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super
Storage WDC Blue SN550 500GB & 1TB NVMe M.2 drives + 8TB Seagate ST8000DM004
Display(s) TCL 4K HDR 43 inch 60hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard SB Recon3Di + Polk Audio MagniFi Mini + HyperX Cloud Stinger
Power Supply EVGA 850 GA
Mouse Logitech G603 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G613 Lightspeed
Software Windows 10 Pro
No love amongst thieves. But a thief that steals from another thief is pardoned for a thousand years.

System Name desktop
Processor i7-4770k
Motherboard Asus z87-plus
Cooling Corsair h80
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ares @ 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC (ACX 3.0)
Storage 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster x-FI Platium, Turtle beach Elite pro 2 + superamp.
Power Supply OCZ Z Series 850W (10 years strong)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Apple,Google,Valve....
They 30% Leecher Companies..
they're all the same
except on pc side you don't have to use steam, on mac side you have no choice but to apple's app store and pay them 30%. you say they are the same but not really.

System Name MoFo 2
Processor AMD PhenomII 1100T @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair IV
Cooling Swiftec 655 pump, Apogee GT,, MCR360mm Rad, 1/2 loop.
Memory 8GB DDR3-2133 @ 1900 8.9.9.24 1T
Video Card(s) HD7970 1250/1750
Storage Agility 3 SSD 6TB RAID 0 on RAID Card
Display(s) 46" 1080P Toshiba LCD
Case Rosewill R6A34-BK modded (thanks to MKmods)
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Power Supply 750W PC Power & Cooling modded (thanks to MKmods)
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
They probably want it so they can show that Mac gaming sales were dismal, while trying to figure out how to make a Mac play games..... Cause they are greedy bastards.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
The irony here is whenever Apple is asked to hand over data they gladly slam that door in the face of whomever is asking and then brag about it for the PR. Not only did they ask Valve and get denied once but they came back and asked a second time. shameless.

Last edited: