• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apt wired/wireless setup advice

According to what he said, there are two runs from the closet to each room. One run from each room is connected to the switch, along with one incoming (he never specified, but I would bet there are two incoming). He has said that the ISP offers an IPTV service, so my thinking is that the ports connected to the switch are intended for that. My ISP also offers this and the STBs grab IPv6 public IPs. They do not get cross-connected to the LAN in any way, because any connectivity for things like cloud DVR and "TV Anywhere" are handled by their servers and apps on your tablets, phones, computers, etc. There would then be a second set of cables for each room and a second incoming at the closet, and this is where the router would be connected. Then all of the "second" ports in all the rooms will be on the LAN. Keep it simple.. ;)
It really doesn't matter what the runs to each room are for as long as they terminate in the wiring closet. Then, depending on which source you feed them, that's what will be in the room.

However, I did forget about the possiblity of IPTV being distributed via the switch vs Internet. But something tells me his system doesn't care and both can be on the same physical ethernet network (if he's even using it, which it doesn't sound like he is).

Putting the router in the closet will hurt wireless connectivity and removes the capability for more than one hardwired device in the living room. I don't think that's the solution the OP is going for.

It really doesn't matter what the runs to each room are for as long as they terminate in the wiring closet. Then, depending on which source you feed them, that's what will be in the room.

However, I did forget about the possiblity of IPTV being distributed via the switch vs Internet. But something tells me his system doesn't care and both can be on the same physical ethernet network (if he's even using it, which it doesn't sound like he is).

Putting the router in the closet will hurt wireless connectivity and removes the capability for more than one hardwired device in the living room. I don't think that's the solution the OP is going for.

Who said anything about the AP(s) being in the closet? Just the router needs to be there. ;) And why couldn't there be a cheap switch in the living room (or any room that has more than one device)? I'm just saying for simplicity, it should be set up the way I suggested. Makes things a whole lot easier down the road when the gremlins show up.

Who said anything about the AP(s) being in the closet? Just the router needs to be there. ;) And why couldn't there be a cheap switch in the living room (or any room that has more than one device)? I'm just saying for simplicity, it should be set up the way I suggested. Makes things a whole lot easier down the road when the gremlins show up.
If it's a separate router/ap, that's ideal. But most routers have the ap built-in.

The problem I see with your solution is cost. Why spend when you can do it with what you already have? And if you know your network, you know what the issue could be if one comes up.