1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arctic Silver 5 vs Regular Thermal pad attached to Retail Processor Heatsink?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by suraswami, Apr 13, 2007.

1. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I have good experience with Arctic Silver 5. The moment I get a Processor with default heatsink, I wipe the compound and put AS5 and forget about it. Same goes with OEM + After market Heatsink. Always use ThermalTake or CoolerMaster high end ones. I am doing this for about 3 years now.

Lately I am seeing reviews on Newegg about AS5. People (reviewers who buy processors especially Intel) say they dry out and heatsink is left with nothing. Is that true? Is it safe for long term applications? Especially is it good for HOT and HUMID places?

Athlon XP mobile 2400 + overclocked to 3400 + (with a high end ThermalTake cooler) on A7N8X-E Deluxe has seen 2 winters and 1 summer.

Last Winter the temps were 20/45 (idle/load). Summer - 35/57.
    This Winter the temps were 34/52. Its spring temps seem to go up.

Should I re-apply every year:(

I have my HTPC with a Sempron 2600+ (64 bit version - Palermo E6 revision) on Abit NF8 (I think) overclocked to 2400 Mhz at 1.55 v with default heatsink + themal pad (didn't really care for AS5 as I got both for $45 all new on a clearance sale) all in a Media center case with 2 small quiet 60 mm fans. Idle/Load 24/32 (winter), 30/38 (Summer).

I am building a new one for my brother. Unfortunately got a open box Processor which has little default thermal pad left. (Sempron 2800+ 64 bit version) Should I put a drop of AS5 and don't clean the pad and put the heatsink? What will happen if I mix like this?

Help.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. oldswab New Member

Thanks Received:
    What I suspect...

...is that now that AS5 has gone into mass-mass-mass production (you can buy it in Radioshack in the states) is that the tubes aren't being stored upright, and that the metals/suspension solution are separating and settling.

There's not much reason to believe that the mfg's of AS5 would change their winning formula (other than what they state, i.e., AS ceramique, etc.). There is ample reason to believe that now that it is widely available that retailers aren't storing it properly and the materials are settling out of proper suspension.

Packaging it in a flexible tube (thing mini-toothpaste tube) would allow the end user to "re-mix" (don't think Sprite) the materials by working the tube. Shame they don't do that.

Good topic for a thread though. I applied AS5 that I bought from Radioshack to my CPU and GPU. I got the CPU just right, but put too much on the GPU. Later, I used iso-propyl alcohol to clean it and reapply the AS5 and have noticed a profound increase in my GPU temps (91C at the highest when running Oblivion on a x1950xt + zalman vf900-cu...argghh!).

edit: for your particular case, it wouldn't hurt at all to take the metal-thermal interfaces apart and replace with new thermal grease. for the new one, without question, you should wipe the default thermal pad completely and apply AS5, then monitor temps for the first few days (longer if the HTPC is only on for a few hours/day).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Decrepit Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if that is the case but I always check and re-apply mine every 6 months or so anyways so hopefully wont be a problem when I pick up my C2D next week.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Every 6 months - hmm that will not be acceptable to my friends and family to whom I build and ship PCs with AS5 paste on CPU!!!

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Once it is on and settled in it will stay there for eternity! It doesnt evapourate or just dissappear! I wouldnt worry too much about it imo

6. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    no it's not for eternity :laugh: it drys up after a while but if you keep an one on your temp you'll know when its time to re-apply cuz I heard that Arctic Silver ceramic-based thermal compound does'nt dry up .

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Ohhhh LoL, I was miss advised :eek: Ive had mine on for a good 5 months now, so I will keep a good eye on temps! ;)

8. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    My First Test Friday evening till Saturday afternoon.
    I had a old Retail AMD S754 heatsink which by default was polished to mirror like finish. Cleaned both CPU and Heatsink with IsoPropanol. Applied a very very thin layer of AS5. Put the Heatsink. Starting Temps 34C at default volt. Increased to 1.45v and FSB 290 (290*8) HT 3. Idle 36C. Burn in test with Sandra for 2 hrs. Temps were 42/43C. Played BF2 for 1 hr. Temp was around 44C. Its idling overnight at 32C.

Today I am removing the Heatsink and going to use another heatsink with default thermal pad.

Will Post results.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Saturday took the heatsink off. Cleaned the CPU. Put the Heatsink with default thermal pad.
    Starting Temp 35C at default volt.
    1.45V, FSB 290 (290*8) HT 3 - Idle 37C. Burn in test with Sandra for 2 hrs. - 44/46C. BF2 for 1 hr 46C. Idling Overnight at 32C.

Sunday Took off the Heatsink. Cleaned only the CPU. Didn't clean Heatsink. Thermal pad left overs where still there. Put a very fine thin layer of AS5. Put back Heatsink.
    Starting Temps 33C at default Volt.
    1.45V, FSB 290 (290*8) HT 3 - Idle 35C. Burn in test with Sandra for 2 hrs - 40/42C. BF2 for 1 hr 40C. Idling overnight at 24C.

Ambient temp pretty much same 16 to 25C.

Wierd!!! Combination works better?????

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Will check temps tonight. The machine is let to idle whole day.:D

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. frankenchrist

frankenchrist New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have had the same results and also reapply Artic Silver to my CPU and GPU's every time I find a reason to tear down my system. (Which is wayy too often. :)

12. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    OK sorry to sound n00bish, but I just bought some AS5.... what do you clean the standard stuff off the hsf with? (standard amd hsf)

13. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    All day today the CPU was idling at 25C. Now evening it is 24C. Going to push more and see what the temps will be.

To remove Standar Stuff use IsoPropanal + Ear Buds + Paper Tower/Soft tissue and make sure no residue is left.

But based on the test that I am doing combination works!!!!

Try your luck.

What model AMD did you buy?

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. raven009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like AS5 but it does dry out and i did notice a difference in temps so decided to try the ceramique which i have never noticed to dry out. Temps are almost as good and i don't have to take off my pain in the ass cpu cooler every couple months. So i just started off with ceramique on my new rig.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. anticlutch

anticlutch

Thanks Received:
    If you can find the stuff, Arctic Silver Compound remover is AWESOME stuff. If not, use coffee filter paper to get the gunk off first (with some 90%or higher isopropyl alcohol), then finish up with soft tissue and alcohol. If there happens to be any lint left over, just use the coffee filter paper again and that should take care of the lint :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Nail varnish remover cotton pads are great, pinch some off your girlfriend lol or buy some, they are real cheap and smell nice lol ;)

18. anticlutch

anticlutch

Thanks Received:
    Alcohol is better as it won't leave any residue (provided that you buy the high-purity stuff).

10 Year Member at TPU