• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are DDR3 Mobo's Compatible with DDR2 RAM

Scarecrow

It might sound like a stupid question, but is it possible to use DDR2 RAM in a Mobo thats compatible with DDR3, like in the ASUS Maximus Extreme?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
no. unless you get a combo board that has support for both ddr2 and ddr3 at the same time (different slots). performance of these sucks btw

Oliver_FF

Processor Intel q9400 @ stock
Motherboard Lanparty P45-T2RS
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9500
Memory 8GB OCZ PC2-6400
Video Card(s) BFG Nvidia GTX285 OC
Storage 1TB, 500GB, 500GB
Display(s) 20" Samsung T200HD
Case Antec Mini P180
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply 700w Hiper
Software Ubuntu x64 virtualising Vista
I've got a hybrid Gigabtyte P35C-DS3R and I'd argue that the performance is more than acceptable :p

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
no. unless you get a combo board that has support for both ddr2 and ddr3 at the same time (different slots). performance of these sucks btw

what sucks? performance of the hybrid boards or performance of the memory?

what sucks? performance of the hybrid boards or performance of the memory?

Performance of the Hybrid boards is SLIGHTLY worse. But nothing too severe to bitch about. I wouldn't really mind a small percentage of performance loss. However, there are some quirky issues when overclocking so I would try to avoid these boards anyway. There are good but... damn you could get more performance for less money!

Kasparz

Performance using DDR2 isn't worse at all. The key is that DDR3 performance and overclocking is very bad.

Well you cant use them.And IMHO combo things doesnt do the work well coz they r just built to support the two.

ex_reven

Well you cant use them.And IMHO combo things doesnt do the work well coz they r just built to support the two.

Thats a pretty stupid way of thinking. No offense, but you cant apply that rationale to anything in an increasingly diverse world.
Its like saying that motherboards on the 965 chipset that are compatible with Pentium 4's and Core 2 Duo's, Core 2 Quads and Core 2 Extreme CPU's perform worse than a board solely designed for the CPU when they all use the same amount of pins anyway.

Does a dog that only knows how to scratch its balls scratch its balls better than a dog that can also fetch the paper, roll over and shake hands :rolleyes:?

BullGod

Does a dog that only knows how to scratch its balls scratch its balls better than a dog that can also fetch the paper, roll over and shake hands :rolleyes:?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And the "Quote of the Month" award goes too......

Reven!

Thats a pretty stupid way of thinking. No offense, but you cant apply that rationale to anything in an increasingly diverse world.
Its like saying that motherboards on the 965 chipset that are compatible with Pentium 4's and Core 2 Duo's, Core 2 Quads and Core 2 Extreme CPU's perform worse than a board solely designed for the CPU when they all use the same amount of pins anyway.

The thing is Reven its not the ability to fetch the paper,but the nails and the length of the hands of the dog that matters to scratch its balls.No offence but some combo things could work better but many of I have seen performed worse.THe dog that can fetch paper developed both skills so he have no time to master one skill,but other is a master in Scratching balls may be.(I'm no dog so I dont know how they do it).The 965 thingy is not what we want here.Usually the chipsets contain the resources,controllers and know how to use CPUs isnt it?The bettern of the CPU is in the CPU but not in the socket with Instruction sets.

ex_reven

The thing is Reven its not the ability to fetch the paper,but the nails and the length of the hands of the dog that matters to scratch its balls.No offence but some combo things could work better but many of I have seen performed worse.THe dog that can fetch paper developed both skills so he have no time to master one skill,but other is a master in Scratching balls may be.(I'm no dog so I dont know how they do it).The 965 thingy is not what we want here.Usually the chipsets contain the resources,controllers and know how to use CPUs isnt it?The bettern of the CPU is in the CPU but not in the socket with Instruction sets.

Yeah. Some. Im just stating that you cant make such a generalisation, especially with so many motherboards out there of so many different brands and chipsets. There will always be exceptions. :toast:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And the "Quote of the Month" award goes too......

Reven!

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x

Rather you should have said ...

Does a dog that only knows how to scratch its balls scratch its balls better than a dog that can also lick his balls while scratching them?

ex_reven

Rather you should have said ...

Does a dog that only knows how to scratch its balls scratch its balls better than a dog that can also lick his balls while scratching them?

Both analogies work well in different ways.
Yours applies more relevantly to dual cores :p