• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are digital stores bad for launching games at full price?

Do you still buy PC games at full price?

• Total voters
System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Hmmm out of curiosity I wonder how a $59.99 game is half your monthly salary yet you have a pretty nice PC with a GTX 1080 and i7? what do games cost out there? What am I missing? Serious question by the way and I am 100% not trying to insult you.
Nah, no problem. I get what this can be confusing.

Between the time I bought my 1080 and today (roughly 17 months) the LCU/USD conversion rate has tripled.
$60 in late 2017 would get you ~1600LCU, the salary of a junior, civil engineer iirc. Today it'd get you 4380~5100, and salaries haven't grown since 2017. For reference: Monthly minimum wage's fixed since 2013 at 425 LCU, around US$5~6, and since we have no regional pricing for games, you'll have to pay the entire $60-equiavalent, 10 times the minimum wage (not counting import costs and other overheads). Welcome to the third least developed world!
When I got my i7 (circa 2014), that $60 would get you around 500 LCUs. You can probably see from my presepective the diminishing value of upgrading to anything intel produced since then.

Do note that I'm using "black market" rates here (around 2x the official ones these days) which is practically the only way to get your hands on foreign currency (and lately even local ones :laugh: No, I'm not joking).

That plus the fact that people in my line of work sometimes get a part in some foreign-funded projects that pay in foreign currencies. Happens rarely and doesn't pay that much, but enough for a few toys and some steam wallet funds to burn around come sales' season.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
If it's a game I really want to play from day 1 then i'll either try find it slightly cheaper else where or i'll pay the full price,I pre-ordered RE2 remake+DMC5 at full price as I really wanted to play them and pre-ordered Sekiro at £40 from CDkeys, otherwise i'll be waiting for sale for most games like i'm waiting for Metro Exodus to drop in price at the moment.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
At this stage when everything seems to be adopting this 'live service' monica. One has to ask if they really need to charge $60-80 for entry into the game and even more so since games as a service also means that games will be released in a half finished state and will be worked on over the next 2years+ before its near its completion and the devs can step back and go work on other things like expansions or small tweaks for the game or other games.

Since every publisher seems adamant about exploiting their customers and milking them like cows for every last penny they have If the main publishers decided to soften the blow by kicking down the barrier to entry to half or less than half of the current price then im sure customers wont be so quickly to complain.

For instance, Warframe... Its FREE but you can support the dev/publisher by buying stuff for real money from their ingame shop. Nobody is forcing you to buy their shit but the door is open if you wanted to show some appreciation - This is how it should be when it comes to games as a service.

But the problem we have are games that are in no way close to being finished being released to the public as 'acceptable' and charged the full price of a full game while there are fan boys who are throwing their life savings and mothers at the publisher and defending them to the death when the community starts to ask questions about certain shitty design aspects they come across IN A HALF FINISHED GAME. People defended Fallout76.... People defended Anthem. People even defended nomanssky. Like i cant even begin to understand the mentality and blind ignorance of some of the community.

We are expected to pay $60-80 for a FINISHED PRODUCT. The same people would be happy walking into a car dealership, putting down the full amount of cash on a car and walking out the door with just a set of wheels and a wingmirror because the salesman at the dealership told them their car wasnt 100% built yet.

How the hell does that not make sense to any of these people???

Sometimes i think the gaming community as a whole are fuckin terrible and thats ignoring all the members of said community who are just downright toxic and just go around being assholes and spreading hate across the internet and whatever games they play.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I don't think I've bought a non-digital game for around 5 years.
I might buy a couple games a year at full price but mostly I wait for a sale.

I've never bought a non digital computer game. :p

My biggest gripe is how often digital releases is more expensive than physical releases, even at launch. As for the question it depends entirely on the game, and what "full price" means. Paradox titles goes for €39.99, Ubisoft A etc games go for what, €69.99? €40 I can stomach, €70 is just ... no.
I cannot partake in this poll because I buy games at full price all the time, I have money but I am not rich. I don't care about sales or saving $5 or $10. If a game releases that I want I just buy it.

I also work 5 days a week and have kids to raise and property to take care of and a wife, dogs, over 100 koi (two ponds) and still have time to game.

Your poll statement makes me look like a douche though lol.

It isn't $5-10 though, it can be $20-40 depending on the game. Multiply by ten and if you were me you'd saved a months rent.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
If Green Man Gaming and Humble Store give you discounts on pre orders of AAA games why would you pay full price on a platform like Steam. I really only buy Total War and Just Cause games brand new. The only game that I am willing to pay full price for regardless of discounts is Cyberpunk 2077.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
But the problem we have are games that are in no way close to being finished being released to the public as 'acceptable' and charged the full price of a full game while there are fan boys who are throwing their life savings and mothers at the publisher and defending them to the death when the community starts to ask questions about certain shitty design aspects they come across IN A HALF FINISHED GAME. People defended Fallout76.... People defended Anthem. People even defended nomanssky. Like i cant even begin to understand the mentality and blind ignorance of some of the community.

We are expected to pay $60-80 for a FINISHED PRODUCT. The same people would be happy walking into a car dealership, putting down the full amount of cash on a car and walking out the door with just a set of wheels and a wingmirror because the salesman at the dealership told them their car wasnt 100% built yet.

How the hell does that not make sense to any of these people???

Sometimes i think the gaming community as a whole are fuckin terrible and thats ignoring all the members of said community who are just downright toxic and just go around being assholes and spreading hate across the internet and whatever games they play.

Guess why I don't have any kind of internet access in my home? I miss 99.99999% of the bs that happens, and it's joyeous.

Anyway, as for the "unfinished product" argument: when is a game done? Remember the good old days when games were buggy as toads and you had to wait until the magazine you bought had a patch on the CD they gave you? I do, and I prefer day one patches. And then we have the people with ridiculous expectations, which combined with hyping makes for dissapointment for sure. Some of that lies on the devs/publishers, but I've seen people complain that games I enjoy quite a lot is unfinished garbage, because they can't do X. I would hate being a game dev today, people have sky high demands of games and they assume by yelling (or writing in caps and using swear words) the dev will change the course of the entire game because they have not understood that the game is supposed to be X, not Y as that gamer assumed based on a tweet on a different subject.

But yeah, we should demand more from devs, especially the big ones. They have the resources to make non-bewildering decisions (especially when it comes to writing), but they don't. OTOH "gamers" as seen as a whole (which to be truthful is hard because how do you define a "gamer"?) have a tendency to be bewilderingly entitled.

I'm not defending any of the games on your list btw as I haven't played them, it's more a discussion of it in general. I'm all for thrashing Bioware and Bethsoft though. :)

Also BTW, the sandbox, MMO-but-offline style many games has means almost by definition that they will either never be finished or be released in a nunfinished state. They have to add stuff later on. They could still tell a coherent story, but theydon't because no one seems to do writing anymore. The game isn't broken, use your imagination! Super Mario is an RPG, you roleplay a plumber fighting goombas and yurtles! I have profurdedly generated your universe, you can do anything*!

*Defined as shooting at, sleeping with after a Press X to give gift scene, and turning brooms and dog drool into manhole covers (AKA crafting).

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Some games are worth every cent of that $60,some are bad even if sold at half price.It's quality,not quantity.I'd prefer to play a good $60 game than get three $20 ones that are mediocre.
That said,I usually get my list and whatever from the list goes on on sale I buy,regardless if I'm gonna play it now or later.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Guess why I don't have any kind of internet access in my home? I miss 99.99999% of the bs that happens, and it's joyeous.

Anyway, as for the "unfinished product" argument: when is a game done? Remember the good old days when games were buggy as toads and you had to wait until the magazine you bought had a patch on the CD they gave you? I do, and I prefer day one patches. And then we have the people with ridiculous expectations, which combined with hyping makes for dissapointment for sure. Some of that lies on the devs/publishers, but I've seen people complain that games I enjoy quite a lot is unfinished garbage, because they can't do X. I would hate being a game dev today, people have sky high demands of games and they assume by yelling (or writing in caps and using swear words) the dev will change the course of the entire game because they have not understood that the game is supposed to be X, not Y as that gamer assumed based on a tweet on a different subject.

But yeah, we should demand more from devs, especially the big ones. They have the resources to make non-bewildering decisions (especially when it comes to writing), but they don't. OTOH "gamers" as seen as a whole (which to be truthful is hard because how do you define a "gamer"?) have a tendency to be bewilderingly entitled.

I'm not defending any of the games on your list btw as I haven't played them, it's more a discussion of it in general. I'm all for thrashing Bioware and Bethsoft though. :)

Also BTW, the sandbox, MMO-but-offline style many games has means almost by definition that they will either never be finished or be released in a nunfinished state. They have to add stuff later on. They could still tell a coherent story, but theydon't because no one seems to do writing anymore. The game isn't broken, use your imagination! Super Mario is an RPG, you roleplay a plumber fighting goombas and yurtles! I have profurdedly generated your universe, you can do anything*!

*Defined as shooting at, sleeping with after a Press X to give gift scene, and turning brooms and dog drool into manhole covers (AKA crafting).

what is classed as 'done' comes in many forms For example, Anthem... That game isnt done. An entire chunk of the game is missing. BF:V wasnt 'done' until Firestorm had been released.

I dont mind game being a little buggy when they are released, but Id like it to play at least smoothly without too much headache. Back in the days when patches were released on CDs with magazines - those days were like the 'golden era' in PC game development. Games would need to be pretty much done before the game went to press so the patches on the CDs were just optimizations or bug fixes.

It was a different era, a different age. The reason behind making games were entirely different and there were a lot more dev studios and publishers around at the time and I think that really kept everyone on their feet and wanting to make the best game possible and not just one that would make them tonnes of money. If the game made them tonnes of money then that was a bonus for them but the main objective was to make games that people would enjoy playing.

Developers took pride in their work.... Im sure some of them still do and are really passionate about it but its been beaten into a robotic, monotonous, mundane task by abusive publishers who will probably sack them after the game is released anyway.

We should be demanding better - We DO demand better but the problem is the gaming community never moves as a single entity - that is why publishers have gotten away with what they have. Because when people call for boycotts to protest such behavior, only a handful of people actually stick to it while the rest of them give in to the pressure. Thats why no major publisher is scared when people call for boycotts.

Remember when somebody on reddit called for a boycott of Anthem after the loot drops were dialed back to keep them grinding? Not enough people boycotted the game to make a difference EA didnt even respond, it was business as usual.

The only time the community did seem to move as one was with the Battlefront 2 lootbox controversy. But EA being EA, they never learn or they'll find a way to dial it back a few notches to make it seem like they are listening and have heard the community but they still keep it at a level where they are still literally dragging a rusty jagged tetanus infected rake along the soft walls of your anus like they hoeing the dirt for a corn plantation.

Last edited:
There is but one problem with this poll, no option to say that you think full price is fine. While discounts and sales are great, I have no problem paying full price for things, especially when new. I was of those people who regularly paid $80-$90 for new SNES games back in the day and they were worth it. Devs need to get paid.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
There is but one problem with this poll, no option to say that you think full price is fine. While discounts and sales are great, I have no problem paying full price for things, especially when new. I was of those people who regularly paid $80-$90 for new SNES games back in the day and they were worth it. Devs need to get paid.

Those were different times though. Back then a game was finished, patched and polished before release. A lot of Developers release games these days that are badly in need patching and polishing and in some cases are completely broken. The end result is that the people who pay full price and buy a game on release get the worst possible gaming experience. Now I'm not blaming the Developers for the most part. It's generally the Publishers who rush the Developers to push a game out before it's ready.

As long as I have to wait for the game to finally be finished (patched and polished) well after release then I might as well wait a little while longer and pick it up for $15 on a Steam Sale.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510

Yes Devs need to get paid but in the current market all you get is a key to download the game data from whatever server it sits on. There is no longer the cost of the DVD, packaging or physical logistics. Let's take a AAA series like Battlefield. If 5 million users buy the game at launch for $69.99 that is $349,950000. If the console package is the same price how much is saved by going digital, that we do not see. Even when digital games are discounted the Devs still make a tidy profit. Not all of the devs are evil like EA (making record profits and shedding staff because one entry does not do as well as expected and then release Apex Legends) but there is lot's of evidence why we should not be paying the full sticker price for a digital copy of a physical game. Then you have to factor in the cost of downloading up to 100GB of data since we no longer seem to like DVD drives.

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
I buy games when I want, and dosent care about price at all.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've never bought a non digital computer game. :p

My biggest gripe is how often digital releases is more expensive than physical releases, even at launch. As for the question it depends entirely on the game, and what "full price" means. Paradox titles goes for €39.99, Ubisoft A etc games go for what, €69.99? €40 I can stomach, €70 is just ... no.

It isn't $5-10 though, it can be $20-40 depending on the game. Multiply by ten and if you were me you'd saved a months rent.

Oh I get it dude. I'm not saying you and others shouldn't try and save cash by waiting for a sale at all. I was just stating that this poll is lame because option 1 makes it seem to me like to select it I have to be rich and have a load of free time. I am neither. I make six figures a year but that doesn't make me rich by any stretch of the word...and I live in Southern California. I'm middle class.

The OP should have just stated for the first option:

Yes I buy all my games at full price when released because I want it now.

I could sign off on that. And for the record I buy games on sale all the time...mostly because I never heard of it and noticed steam placing it on sale so i buy it then, or there is a game Im interested in but not sure if it is worth the full price so I don't buy it at all until it goes on sale.

Truth is I'm an impatient mofo and if I want a game, been waiting for the game and it releases...I buy it. I don't wait for a sale. That's all.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Oh I get it dude. I'm not saying you and others shouldn't try and save cash by waiting for a sale at all. I was just stating that this poll is lame because option 1 makes it seem to me like to select it I have to be rich and have a load of free time. I am neither. I make six figures a year but that doesn't make me rich by any stretch of the word...and I live in Southern California. I'm middle class.

The OP should have just stated for the first option:

Yes I buy all my games at full price when released because I want it now.

I could sign off on that. And for the record I buy games on sale all the time...mostly because I never heard of it and noticed steam placing it on sale so i buy it then, or there is a game Im interested in but not sure if it is worth the full price so I don't buy it at all until it goes on sale.

Truth is I'm an impatient mofo and if I want a game, been waiting for the game and it releases...I buy it. I don't wait for a sale. That's all.

If you haven't figured out yet, most of the polls are written to stir the pot of shit.

Personally, I don't care about the delivery method, my only concern is:

a) If it's got DRM or I have to be logged in to play it (MMOs exce[ted o0f course), I will not buy it.
b) I don't much care if delivery method is DVD or digital as long as i can play it when I want and on whatever I want.

Steam was the downfall of PC gaming and one of the reasons that participation has sales have dropped. Each Xmas, I'd buy each kid 3 games and after they finished, they'd pass it on to their brothers. Steam later added the sharing option but was too little too late and that still requires having a Steam Account (not interested). My 2nd oldest bought Witcher 3 on GOG, after he as done, I played it ... I bough the expansion 3 pak, and after I finished, he played it.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
DVD Recorders in the age of renting PC games killed PC gaming Steam is an after effect of that phenomenon. Unfortunately Steam has some of the best games on PC.

Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Those were different times though. Back then a game was finished, patched and polished before release. A lot of Developers release games these days that are badly in need patching and polishing and in some cases are completely broken. The end result is that the people who pay full price and buy a game on release get the worst possible gaming experience. Now I'm not blaming the Developers for the most part. It's generally the Publishers who rush the Developers to push a game out before it's ready.

As long as I have to wait for the game to finally be finished (patched and polished) well after release then I might as well wait a little while longer and pick it up for $15 on a Steam Sale.
You don't remember having to get cd roms or floppy disks mailed to you for patches? I was so happy getting internet that was fast enough to actually download patches off servers. That being said, games definitely released less buggy back then. Games weren't as complex either.. and there was no Windows 10.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
You don't remember having to get cd roms or floppy disks mailed to you for patches? I was so happy getting internet that was fast enough to actually download patches off servers. That being said, games definitely released less buggy back then. Games weren't as complex either.. and there was no Windows 10.

^Agreed. I have a collection of boxed games from back in the day and I remember bugs after release but like you stated; it was never as bad as now. Also we might not have had DLC but we sure as hell did have expansions which were also boxed and sold at a lower cost.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Considering games require dlc which tends to be payed for now, the game is not considered complete to me so really the games initial price at most should be 10 dollars since they require you to buy dlc...

Also screw gaming networks like PSN and XBL...

"COUGH" UBI, yeah i know there is many more but not been buying their game due to DLC's and a 1/2 price game ends up being a $60+ game witht he DLC's even year(s) after release.

Last few years in my eye's as been pitiful gaming wise.

And all this fminest\ SJW bullshit hitting movie's \ TV shows will effect game more over time , it's already effected some and it's only going to get worse in this political correct nonsense world we live in today which company's like Google MSN Facebook Disney push their brain washing crap.

But anyway, yes as eidirman said the price is $60 + DLC and most cases $60++ season pass crap.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

He was talking about the SNES days. I don't remember any Nintendo games getting patched. I don't know how they could have. I have no idea what was going on with PC games in the early to late 90s. I had no time for gaming during those years besides sometimes playing with my son on his SNES and later N64. Before that I had a C-64 and a game either worked or it didn't. Most worked fine.

Last edited:

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64

I was happier when I could download said patches over DSL so I didn't have to tie up a phone line with 28.8-56k baud modem that would take hours or days to download it. :D

I buy a few games at full price, more often indie titles I am very interested in like Void Destroyer 2 or Astrox Imperium. Those are both even in EA at this point, and I am pretty picky about what I support in EA anymore. I generally don't support EA for AAA titles and few indie titles that I spend a lot of time looking into.

There are other games I back at higher than full price, like Ashes of the Singularity (to be fair I get every DLC, Escalations and the latest Ashes tower defence title for free) and Elite: Dangerous (to be fair I get all expansions free here as well), though can't think of a game of either's caliber since then that I've backed or had interest in backing. Most often times I'm waiting for deals or waiting to see if the game's release issues are actually getting fixed. There's a little more to it than that for me, but watering it down that's essentially how I roll. :)

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Games weren't as complex either.
+10!
A single AAA (and sometimes even those of lesser budget) games has more bits in it than all SNES games combined. What was a gamedev's worst nightmare back then, fitting enough spritesheets in a coupla MBs of ROM? I'll bet the poor fellow who's making sure every UV is neatly mapped in every nook and cranny of that +30Km^2 world map would trade all the terrabytes in the world to go back to those days....