1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are there any reasons to turn off vsync in games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by kid41212003, Jun 25, 2010.

1. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    I don't see any point of turning this off.

Extra frames only waste system resources and power.

2. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    The way I understand it, your GPU does not work any less when vsync is enabled its just that the display driver is forcing the fps to be locked at a constant 60fps.

There are numerous reasons for having it on or off, one being that if you dont always get 60fps it can have a negative effect, here this says it much better than me:

Source

3. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    According to EVGA Precision and GPU tools, gpu usage will not reach 100% with Vsync on.

4. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    I tend to turn of V-sync in ever game as it locks your FPS to a certain number which in some cases could bring down your performance.

5. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Well try and find out and let us know if it does :) as I said its mostly preference though there are reasons to have it on and off, best leave it to let the program decide and switch it on/off in game if you like.

BTW, do you have your i7 underclocked? you really dont need all that power it only wastes extra system resources :p

6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Vsync is there to prevent tearing in games, the only reason you would turn it off is if you cant keep above the 60FPS, because otherwise it will try its hardest to keep it at 60FPS but if ya hardware isn't up to the task then you will get alot of slow down/chogging, i never have it on unless i get a lot of tearing.

7. REALIN

REALIN New Member

Thanks Received:
    60 FPS is not smooth enough in alot of games, thats why I need more then 60 fps. Mostly FPS-based games.

Edit: Forgot to say that I always keep v-sync off. :)

8. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    I never once turned v-sync on:laugh: I had no idea what it did, thanks for the info guys!

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe

Thanks Received:
    Unless you're some sort of mutant, a constant 60fps is going to look exactly the same to your human eye as 100 or 150fps. This is old news.

The way I see it, if you're not getting any tearing at all, leave it off. If you're getting tearing, turn it on unless it lowers your performance to the point of unplayability. If it does, put up with the tearing.

shevanel, robn and kid41212003 say thanks.
  10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When playing Sacred 2 : Fallen Angel at 2560x1600 resolution I would experience some tearing with VSync off, but the game ran smooth. When I turned VSync on, the tearing was gone, but I would get occasional stuttering.
    Dropping the res. to 1920x1200 eliminated both problems, but then I didn't have 2560x1600 bliss :/

I opted to live with the occasional tearing :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Most LCD's are 60hz so anything over 60fps is unnecessary as you wont even notice the difference, so no you dont really lose performance

dank1983man420 says thanks.
  12. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    IN BC2, without vsync get 80-160 (at least used to with 5850 added), with it, 40-60

13. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    When I said "according", it meant that I have tried them myself using those programs.

I have all power saving options on with non-OC cpu.

I don't see the need of overclocking my CPU yet because all my games ran well above 60FPS.

14. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some of us don't have or notice any tearing issues to warrant it's use. And as others pointed out they get a better gaming experience with it off. Here's the deal, if you notice no difference with it on or off then I really don't see the need to turn it on.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I never use V-Sync in FPS multiplayer games as it gives you mouse lag. Kill or be killed and with mouse lag you can end up with being killed. Otherwise I just leave it on. I don't understand why anyone with a GTX 480 would be concerned with resources and power. :confused:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    never thought about that, the only games I leave it off on are css and dirt2, everything else I leave it on. I get alot of tearing in almost every game I own.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I too usually disable vsync unless I see a fair amount of tearing. Smooth gameplay is very, very important to me and vsync prevents that from happening in a lot of cases.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Same here. I can live with a little tearing, but stuttering drives me nuts.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    A healthy system with relative tier components (meaning strong GPU, RAM and CPU working together) should not suffer noticeably if Vsync is on, but you're not achieving 60fps consistently.

It depends more on the software's engine.

You are right, running 120fps constantly will draw more power and 'waste' frames, though the % is negligible.

A smarter solution would be to lower your GPU clocks. Use a low clock profile for general Windows use and non demanding games, and then a high/standard clock profile for taxing 3d software.

20. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I've never had a setup where I could disable it, but with todays cards, 60fps should be easy to hold at almost any resolution.

21. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Just knowing what monitor HZ actually means , debunks one of the most massivest noob facts and discussions ever, "FPS bragging" , it doesn't matter at all over 75 FPS , it's fast enough for your eyes and topping the most popular hz of 75 in LCD desktop monitors , I know what you're thinking but FPS dependant physics engine are really a history now , so that's out, where's that important is good ol COD2 and surprisingly a lot of people are still playing it , it actually surpassed CODMW2 on xfire.

So like nvidia's +10% FPS edge didn't got anything significant improvement and meaning to it , oh except 60% of people believing those things and of course the overclockers. :p

Personally i don't use VSYNC , since i have 75HZ monitor , but my brother got a 26 incher with 60HZ , and THAT SUCKS ; it was the best monitor with TV card ,but people have been saying it's overpriced , i think it's samsung T260HD , it has really a bit shoddy LCD panel since 60HZ is like stoneage for games , and the problem , of course , TEARING is present , and it's quite noticable , so Vsync helps , but then the screen looks like it's lagging to each frame , but at least only in certain games, maybe certain games like HAWX have crappy PC support or what (yeah that's an xbox port afaik)

Funny thing was , I always enable dual-video cards , in cod4 and other shooters , with an HD4870 (sinlge core, no crossfire) , I don't have idea how or wth , but it boosts my FPS by 10 rock solid FPS , with everything maxed out , with AA disabled the FPS boost is like 15 FPS , with only shadows disabled , it's something in between , from 70 to 80 , that's quite something , since it drops down to 55 sometimes, but now it keeps it above 60 always , who would have thought.

This just proves how drivers and optimize software make a total difference , and that's what a lot of companies miss.