• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are these parts compatible?

x_Stricken_x

Hey guys! I started the build today and the out-of-case boot went fine! :D I mounted the motherboard, power supply and started hooking things up, but I'm purplexed.. Where do my case fans hook in? They have a 3-pin connected to another three pin which ends up being a 4-pronged thing. I looked in the manual and it's not 100% great with details. I don't see any spots that come out to support the 4-pronged pin.. Do I need an adapter or something?

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Need pics...Fans can be both 3 pin 4 pin and 4 pin molex. Sounds like your fan hook up to a fan control that plugs into a 4 pin molex from your PSU but cant tell with out pics.

Fans can be a pain as long as your CPU fan is hooked up to your CPU fan header (4 pin) and you have one other exhausting your case your good for now

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hey guys! I started the build today and the out-of-case boot went fine! :D I mounted the motherboard, power supply and started hooking things up, but I'm purplexed.. Where do my case fans hook in? They have a 3-pin connected to another three pin which ends up being a 4-pronged thing. I looked in the manual and it's not 100% great with details. I don't see any spots that come out to support the 4-pronged pin.. Do I need an adapter or something?

ok the fans themselves, does it look like one of the connectors below?

1. http://www.moddiy.com/product_images/x/244/2.0__20127_zoom.jpg (look at left side- Molex Male Plug- Metal Pins in shell)

2. http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#peripheral (Molex Female Plug- barrel style connection inside shell)

3. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/31232-biocube-fans.html#post458906

4. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247232-28-type-connector (looks like the 3rd link except it is a 4 pin)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Need pics...Fans can be both 3 pin 4 pin and 4 pin molex. Sounds like your fan hook up to a fan control that plugs into a 4 pin molex from your PSU but cant tell with out pics.

Fans can be a pain as long as your CPU fan is hooked up to your CPU fan header (4 pin) and you have one other exhausting your case your good for now

You only really need 2 pins, 12v and a ground. The third pin is a return signal that tells the machine how fast the fan is spinning. On 4-pin connectors, the 4th pin is a PWM signal that regulates fan speed without changing the provided voltage on the +12v line. Still, you really only need +12v and ground.

x_Stricken_x

ok the fans themselves, does it look like one of the connectors below?

1. http://www.moddiy.com/product_images/x/244/2.0__20127_zoom.jpg (look at left side- Molex Male Plug- Metal Pins in shell)

2. http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#peripheral (Molex Female Plug- barrel style connection inside shell)

3. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/31232-biocube-fans.html#post458906

4. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247232-28-type-connector (looks like the 3rd link except it is a 4 pin)

It looks like the first one. From what I've read though, I should be able to unplug the molex plug and just use the three-pin to connect to the points on the motherboard? I also read somewhere that Molex plugs are mainly for plugging it into the power supply (if you don't have enough case fan plugs), is that correct?

Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD

x_Stricken_x

Got everything plugged in and did a second test boot but got a CPU Fan Error showing up on my monitor, along with a no keyboard detected error (which is fine). What confuses me is the CPU fan is spinning fine, any idea what could cause the error? Also, is the power supply fan only supposed to spin at certain heat, or all the time? Mine only spins for a few seconds then stops.

After rebooting a couple times the error went away, is that normal? I read somewhere that if the fan spins lower than the setting in the BIOS it will throw the CPU Fan Error, is there any validity to that?

Last edited:
Got everything plugged in and did a second test boot but got a CPU Fan Error showing up on my monitor, along with a no keyboard detected error (which is fine). What confuses me is the CPU fan is spinning fine, any idea what could cause the error? Also, is the power supply fan only supposed to spin at certain heat, or all the time? Mine only spins for a few seconds then stops.

CPUs generally like having the third pin, so they can figure out what speed the fan is operating at. If this information is not present, the system throws up a warning (whether there is a power draw for the fan or not). You should really get a three pin fan, unless you think that the fan you're using is never going to fail. In my experience, this assumption is usually rewarded with an overheating CPU.

As far as the PSU, it depends. Some PSUs want to minimize noise. They will include a thermal resistor that signals the fan to only turn on when a certain temperature is reached. Give the system a bit of running time, and see if the fan kicks on. Given that it starts initially, you've likely got thermal controls. If it runs for a while (10 to 20 minutes on moderate use) without having the fans turn on then you should be concerned.

Additionally, check the product box to see if there are is advertised thermal regulation.

x_Stricken_x

CPUs generally like having the third pin, so they can figure out what speed the fan is operating at. If this information is not present, the system throws up a warning (whether there is a power draw for the fan or not). You should really get a three pin fan, unless you think that the fan you're using is never going to fail. In my experience, this assumption is usually rewarded with an overheating CPU.
The connector I have plugged in has three-pins

As far as the PSU, it depends. Some PSUs want to minimize noise. They will include a thermal resistor that signals the fan to only turn on when a certain temperature is reached. Give the system a bit of running time, and see if the fan kicks on. Given that it starts initially, you've likely got thermal controls. If it runs for a while (10 to 20 minutes on moderate use) without having the fans turn on then you should be concerned.

Additionally, check the product box to see if there are is advertised thermal regulation.
Alright, I'll take a look :) It kicks on when I boot it (I'm only doing test boots for now), so I'm not sure if I'll come close to the temperature it would need. Also, on the box it says it's thermally controlled, so I'm assuming that means it will only spin-up when needed

Last edited:
I never really checked my PSU. I bought a quality one to not worry about it.

You got the CM Hyper 212 EVO right? It has a 4 pin plug. Should be plugged into the 4 pin header marked "CPU fan" on the motherboard

Your Motherboard has two 4 pin fan plugs at the top right on the board. One should say CPU. Not that it matters you just may get the warning

BTW Your board has 6 - 4 pin fan headers.

From your MB specs
1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
4 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
1 x Optional Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)

You can plug a three into it just fine

Last edited:
System Name An experiment in continuous upgrading
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.4 Ghz | FX-8570 @ 4.0 Ghz | Phenom II X4 965
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD53 | MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Asus M4A79 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 | Zalman CNPS10x | Coolermaster*212+
Memory 24gb DDR3-1866 |8Gb | 8Gb
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Turbo x 2 (SLI) | Sapphire Radeon 7970 + GTX 670 (PhysX) | Radeon 4870 1Gb
Storage 2x240gb SSD + 4tb SSHD + HDDs | 240gb SSD + HDDs | 120gb SSD + WD Blue 500gb
Display(s) ASUS VG248 144hz + Samsung S23A700D 120hz + 3D Vision | 40" Sony 1080p TV | 23" 1080p
Case Cooler Master HAF-X | Lian-Li PC-8 | Antec 302
Audio Device(s) Senn. PC360 G4ME | Sound Blaster Zx | Generic
Power Supply Corsair TX850W | Corsair TX 750 | OCZ 700
Mouse Steelseries Sensei | Logitech G402 W/L | Generic
Keyboard Filco Majetouch Ninja Tenkeyless MX Black | Logitech wireless |SteelSeries 6Gv2 MX Red
Software About 800 top-rated games. | 200 top-rated games | No games
Benchmark Scores No time for benching, I prefer gaming.
yes. and that cooler master hyper212+ is just fine. put two fans on it. one sucking air into the heatsink the other one blowing it out of the case.

I'm running one of those on a Phenom II X6 1100t and the temps are ridiculously low with just one fan... IMO if he doesn't plan on going for the extreme OC, one fan is going to be very effective.

x_Stricken_x

Sorry I haven't posted lately! I have to say I am REALLY happy with the end result, and especially the fact that I built it myself (aside from the help here - which is VERY much appreciated!) A quick question though, what is a "good"/expected temperature for the graphics card? Mine is about 46 degrees Celsius (114.8 degrees Fahrenheit). Is that high or good? Also, that temperature is under little to no load (I have the Catalyst Center open while typing this). Also, is the activity measuring VRAM usage, or just data to/from the card? I've only seen it get to ~20% with Minecraft, and will try Orcs Must Die 2 and Dirt: Showdown a bit later.

I'm REALLY happy with the performance for gaming though (everything at stock speeds), besides in Minecraft.. Aside from that though, it's performing good enough for Dirt: Showdown and Orcs Must Die 2 to guess high settings - and both have run flawlessly on that setting! :D

I would again like to thank everyone for their help and for answering my noobish questions. I can safely say thanks to all of you my first build was a major success! Can't wait for the next! ;)

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Most VRMs aren't powering a 6-core Intel beast. :) ...but you're right, the 8+2 will work fine. I'm just saying that the extra phases make a difference. I have almost no Vdroop, voltages are rock solid and stable, voltages never jump around (except with entering different power states, which it should,) and if you check out Cadaveca's review on the deluxe, the VRM idle power has a good indication that it's one of the most efficient VRMs you can get your hands on at the time of the review.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/P9X79_Deluxe/images/power_idle.gif

It really all depends on the quality of the VRMs though as well. sometimes motherboard manufactures will have less VRMs on lower board, and then have more on the higher end, but the higher end has lower quality power design so.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Sorry I haven't posted lately! I have to say I am REALLY happy with the end result, and especially the fact that I built it myself (aside from the help here - which is VERY much appreciated!) A quick question though, what is a "good"/expected temperature for the graphics card? Mine is about 46 degrees Celsius (114.8 degrees Fahrenheit). Is that high or good? Also, that temperature is under little to no load (I have the Catalyst Center open while typing this). Also, is the activity measuring VRAM usage, or just data to/from the card? I've only seen it get to ~20% with Minecraft, and will try Orcs Must Die 2 and Dirt: Showdown a bit later.

I'm REALLY happy with the performance for gaming though (everything at stock speeds), besides in Minecraft.. Aside from that though, it's performing good enough for Dirt: Showdown and Orcs Must Die 2 to guess high settings - and both have run flawlessly on that setting! :D

I would again like to thank everyone for their help and for answering my noobish questions. I can safely say thanks to all of you my first build was a major success! Can't wait for the next! ;)

Glad to hear it. I love my SB-E rig even if I only have 4 cores. Works great nonetheless. :cool:
It really all depends on the quality of the VRMs though as well. sometimes motherboard manufactures will have less VRMs on lower board, and then have more on the higher end, but the higher end has lower quality power design so.
Very true, but the Pro and Deluxe use about the same VRM setup, the Deluxe just has twice as many power phases. The ROG boards have a different VRM setup for X79, that is for sure.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
My brothers sapphire r 6770 idles at 34 C at 157/300 MHz for core and ram that is with the ambient room temp being 74 degress F. Id say your temps are good. Btw that machine will last several gens and upgrades other than swapping motherboard.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
lets see some Pics of the new rig stricken