• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are VPN services need or a rip-off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor AMD Ryzen 1700X 8-Core 3.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, 2x front Aerocool DS 140mm fans, 1x rear Aerocool DS 140mm fan
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil Vega 64
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB NVME SSD - Boot drive, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD - Main storage
Display(s) Acer XG270HU Red 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD 2K FreeSync Gaming Monitor
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB C-Type Blackout Edition (Non TG)
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP 301 Headset, Sennheiser Game Zero Special Edition Headset, Logitech Z623 System
Power Supply Seasonic AirTouch 850w 80 Plus Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Professional 64bit
Is a VPN ever needed?

Why would I want a VPN?

Is a VPN ever needed?

Why would I want a VPN?
Probably, but it depends on what you want to do with it, with certain job profiles it can be a necessity ~ though in such cases tor can also be a good alternative, albeit a slow(er) one.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
VPN is not a ripoff. But any VPN service headquartered in the US (or the Five Eyes.. and then some) is a ripoff... It defeats the purpose, since the governments there don't care about your privacy. So you have to do some research where a particular VPN company is located.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Depends on the need, I run several different types of VPN's for various uses. There's a lot of usage in the professional sector for VPN's. Be it site-to-site or road warrior, there are so many uses for VPN's that I use, design and work with on a daily basis for clients. Having an encrypted tunnel over the Internet between two sites or devices can be critical, and needs to be done correctly. No PPTP! Use SSL where possible (IMHO). I love IPSEC and OVPN.

I believe the services you're asking about @Mighty-Lu-Bu is the VPN services that folks buy to "protect" their traffic flow over the Internet. As said above, ymmv and be careful which service you choose as some use weak encryption keys, some easily give away logs, some keep all logs, some keep the minimum required, etc. Depends on a few factors really, and then the need.

It again depends on the need and individual, most folks don't really need a VPN. Some folks might want or desire, or feel they want to hide or protect. But with these consumer service VPN's, your data is encrypted to their server where you connect...which is located in a region/country/city. Your public IP is broadcast as being from that location rather than your home. Some folks use it for location purpose, but services have caught on to most of these VPN services and block them. Keep in mind that the traffic that goes beyond their server is not encrypted unless the session with the service or site is encrypted already.

Another thing to keep in mind is that VPN tunnels require processing overhead to encrypt and decrypt the traffic that traverses that part of the network. A lotta folks turn down encryption levels to increase bandwidth/performance and decrease CPU load. This is counterproductive to what a VPN offers though, the point is to protect and encrypt data. Running lower levels of encryption or weaker types of VPN services (looking at you PPTP), you might as well run without a VPN IMHO because there's enough data that is either being handed off in plaintext, or is a low enough level of encryption that if someone wanted it, the amount of work to get it wouldn't be very challenging in this day and age, you're paying and using something that you're not taking advantage of.

I use PIA still every once in a while, and I cranked up the encryption. Yes my bandwidth isn't 100% what my ISP is rated at, yes my CPU usage goes up, yes my level of encryption is worth it to me when I do use that service. Same with VPN tunnels I redesign or fix, I see so many setup with baseline configs, or low-levels of encryption, drives me crazy.

:toast:

Cooling Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, 2x front Aerocool DS 140mm fans, 1x rear Aerocool DS 140mm fan
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB NVME SSD - Boot drive, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD - Main storage
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP 301 Headset, Sennheiser Game Zero Special Edition Headset, Logitech Z623 System
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Depends on the need, I run several different types of VPN's for various uses. There's a lot of usage in the professional sector for VPN's. Be it site-to-site or road warrior, there are so many uses for VPN's that I use, design and work with on a daily basis for clients. Having an encrypted tunnel over the Internet between two sites or devices can be critical, and needs to be done correctly. No PPTP! Use SSL where possible (IMHO). I love IPSEC and OVPN.

I believe the services you're asking about @Mighty-Lu-Bu is the VPN services that folks buy to "protect" their traffic flow over the Internet. As said above, ymmv and be careful which service you choose as some use weak encryption keys, some easily give away logs, some keep all logs, some keep the minimum required, etc. Depends on a few factors really, and then the need.

It again depends on the need and individual, most folks don't really need a VPN. Some folks might want or desire, or feel they want to hide or protect. But with these consumer service VPN's, your data is encrypted to their server where you connect...which is located in a region/country/city. Your public IP is broadcast as being from that location rather than your home. Some folks use it for location purpose, but services have caught on to most of these VPN services and block them. Keep in mind that the traffic that goes beyond their server is not encrypted unless the session with the service or site is encrypted already.

Another thing to keep in mind is that VPN tunnels require processing overhead to encrypt and decrypt the traffic that traverses that part of the network. A lotta folks turn down encryption levels to increase bandwidth/performance and decrease CPU load. This is counterproductive to what a VPN offers though, the point is to protect and encrypt data. Running lower levels of encryption or weaker types of VPN services (looking at you PPTP), you might as well run without a VPN IMHO because there's enough data that is either being handed off in plaintext, or is a low enough level of encryption that if someone wanted it, the amount of work to get it wouldn't be very challenging in this day and age, you're paying and using something that you're not taking advantage of.

I use PIA still every once in a while, and I cranked up the encryption. Yes my bandwidth isn't 100% what my ISP is rated at, yes my CPU usage goes up, yes my level of encryption is worth it to me when I do use that service. Same with VPN tunnels I redesign or fix, I see so many setup with baseline configs, or low-levels of encryption, drives me crazy.

:toast:

I mean it would only be about security and privacy for me. I know that a VPN is the be-all, end-all of privacy, but I am sure it would help.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I mean it would only be about security and privacy for me. I know that a VPN is the be-all, end-all of privacy, but I am sure it would help.

I guess it depends on what you feel you will be securing or keeping private versus what actually is. That could take this wayyyyy off topic though, so I won't go there at this junction. :)

You're right VPN's aren't the end-all, and depending on how they're used may not even help. But when used right, and hosted by the right service provider can be pretty damn solid. For the right situations, it is absolutely a good fit!

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
VPN + DNS that is not your internet provider (especially if you have a media company ie at&t comcast verizon etc).

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
VPN is not a ripoff. But any VPN service headquartered in the US (or the Five Eyes.. and then some) is a ripoff... It defeats the purpose, since the governments there don't care about your privacy. So you have to do some research where a particular VPN company is located.
What a bunch of malarkey. :(

Once again you post a silly blanket statement. And of course, like all blanket statements, they are wrong. And your biased filled one is particularly wrong. :(

Are VPNs a ripoff? No. See dorsetknob's succinct, illustrative examples.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
What a bunch of malarkey. :(

Once again you post a silly blanket statement. And of course, like all blanket statements, they are wrong. And your biased filled one is particularly wrong. :(

Are VPNs a ripoff? No. See dorsetknob's succinct, illustrative examples.

What's untrue about it? You never heard of the NSA, the CIA, Prism, Homeland Security, the Five Eyes Agreement of sharing Intel between the US, UK, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia? It's very easy for any of these countries to seize equipment and search your data. And all major ISP and storage providers have agreements with these governments to hand these things over. Be it Google, AT&T, etc. It doesn't make much for a warrant, especially with the bogeyman of Terrorism.

Much more difficult to force someone's hands in the Cayman Islands or Switzerland or Romania. You're better off getting a VPN service headquartered there. No one discussing this subject has EVER disputed this... except you.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Lets have the following posts rely on facts to support our ideas instead of disputing individuals intellect :)

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
What's untrue about it? You never heard of the NSA, the CIA, Prism, Homeland Security, the Five Eyes Agreement of sharing Intel between the US, UK, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia? It's very easy for any of these countries to seize equipment and search your data. And all major ISP and storage providers have agreements with these governments to hand these things over. Be it Google, AT&T, etc. It doesn't make much for a warrant, especially with the bogeyman of Terrorism.

Much more difficult to force someone's hands in the Cayman Islands or Switzerland or Romania. You're better off getting a VPN service headquartered there. No one discussing this subject has EVER disputed this... except you.

Shhh

Maybe he works for the government. Oh sh"* look out behind you!

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
It was Dick Cheney himself that said "We need to go to the dark side." I mean, he was completely unapologetic. Bill Binney's (NSA whistleblower) nickname for him is Darth Cheney. Then Noble Peace Prize Drone Boy didn't do much better than him afterwards. If he really cared, he would have rolled it back. But like they say, power corrupts.

So I'm a critic of both sides. I wouldn't call that biased. :p

VPN services are one of the strange instances where if a company looks extremely shady, and you can't find much personal info, you're probably better off using them. lol

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
What's untrue about it? You never heard of the NSA, the CIA, Prism, Homeland Security, the Five Eyes Agreement of sharing Intel between the US, UK, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia? It's very easy for any of these countries to seize equipment and search your data.
:(

Contrary to what some tin-foil hat wearers want everyone to believe, the US government and our allies are NOT sitting around and listening to everyone's conversations, reading all their texts, or watching all their Internet activities. They just don't have the time, resources or desire to waste their time (and our tax money) in that way.

IF by chance or choice they stumble upon your connection, they are NOT going to sit around and monitor everything you do, UNLESS you are doing something, or planning something illegal!

Why? Because there are too many other big fish out there who are conducting illegal activities who actually want to hurt us. And our governments know if they miss advanced warnings, those same tin-foil hat wearers, and other conspiracy theorists will be relentless in flapping their lips with criticisms against those government agencies.

IF the NSA is watching you, it is NOT because your VPN is a "ripoff" as StrayKAT claims (since he claims "all" in the US are :rolleyes:). It it because you are doing, or planning something illegal.

And contrary to the claim, it is not easy for the governments in any of those countries to seize private citizens' equipment. They need a court order which requires substantial evidence of wrong doing.

Of course we need to go to the dark side - to catch the bad guys! Because that's where they lurk about. Freedom is not free!

Yeah, it sure would be horrible is the FBI told Scotland Yard a terrorist was about to blow up Piccadilly Circus. :kookoo::rolleyes:

This is NOT helping the OP. Let's get back on track.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
:(

Contrary to what some tin-foil hat wearers want everyone to believe, the US government and our allies are NOT sitting around and listening to everyone's conversations, reading all their texts, or watching all their Internet activities. They just don't have the time, resources or desire to waste their time (and our tax money) in that way.

This isn't tinfoil hats saying it. It's whistleblowers. And Bill Binney was one of the ones largely responsible for designing the systems himself. But when Cheney came in, they simplified it and used it for bulk data gathering.. and turned it on American citizens.. along with getting private companies to comply.

Just to mention.. I'm not anti-American. I like America, but only when it follows it's actual Constitution. 4th Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things ...

It's no longer about "probable cause". It's collected by default.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Contrary to what some tin-foil hat wearers want

:)The lizard Alien masters now get their Agents to Spray the Above with Aerosol Gallium :)
Seriously
if you use a VPN you need end to endpoint Encription and a Powerfull PC with a Fast Connection

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro

^ Not a "lizard man". Just a simple patriot.

Mouse SteelSeries Rival
This isn't tinfoil hats saying it. It's whistleblowers. And Bill Binney was one of the ones largely responsible for designing the systems himself. But when Cheney came in, they simplified it and used it for bulk data gathering.. and turned it on American citizens.. along with getting private companies to comply.

Just to mention.. I'm not anti-American. I like America, but only when it follows it's actual Constitution. 4th Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things ...

It's not longer about "probable cause" any longer. It's collected by default.

I tend to agree with you- I am totally against the Patriot Act, especially when it violates the privacy of its citizens. Countries like Germany and Sweden have extremely strict privacy laws.

:)The lizard Alien masters now get their Agents to Spray the Above with Aerosol Gallium :)
Seriously
if you use a VPN you need end to endpoint Encription and a Powerfull PC with a Fast Connection

Well, I have a very powerful pc with great connection- still on the fence about the whole VPN thing though. I don't do anything illegal, but I do feel like having a VPN service like NordVPN for example would give me some peace of mind.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Is a VPN ever needed?

Why would I want a VPN?

I would like to ask again that we stick to the OPs original questions inline, Kursah had some great points as an example. I do not see a need to derail into mentioning aliens or tinfoil hats or the merits of state governments. If OP and the rest of you for example are worried about the kind of data collected. (which might for the sake of argument be collected by request of a govt) I strongly suggest you have a constructive conversation regarding individual VPN company data collection policies. If you happen to know them.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
VPS are worth it...regardless of intent. Encrypting your data is very important. Being anonymous and secure on the internet is a good thing. I also don't fully agree with you need a powerful PC. The worst case I have seen is about a 15% overhead for encrypt/decrypt.

Mouse SteelSeries Rival
VPS are worth it...regardless of intent. Encrypting your data is very important. Being anonymous and secure on the internet is a good thing

Would you recommend a particular service?

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Would you recommend a particular service?

NordVPN, CyberGhost, ExpressVPN - Most of these companies allow IPs from Countries other than America. Like Germany, Russia, China and more. And also allow multiple hops like TOR browser. However adding additional hops will degrade throughput.

D

Deleted member 67555

Work from home yes probably required by your employer
accessing Geo locked Sites yes but probably illegal
Accessing illegal Content Yes lets not Discuss that
^This right here^
Geo locked sites...
I enjoy Canada's Space channel which is the USA's SyFy channel...
Also I can get YouTube TV in my service area.... They literally end service in my area at my next door neighbors house.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I would like to ask again that we stick to the OPs original questions inline, Kursah had some great points as an example. I do not see a need to derail into mentioning aliens or tinfoil hats or the merits of state governments. If OP and the rest of you for example are worried about the kind of data collected. (which might for the sake of argument be collected by request of a govt) I strongly suggest you have a constructive conversation regarding individual VPN company data collection policies. If you happen to know them.

Cool. I have nothing else to add. But people should watch that vid I posted anyways. You'll thank me later. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.