1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are you sure you want a dual core Phenom II?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kenkickr, Apr 29, 2009.

1. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Right now this a rumor but found this over @ Hexus.net. Again, supposedly Asrock found that we'll be able to unlock the extra cores but what really caught my attention is the dual core and newer X3's may have the L3 cache fully disabled. Read here, http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18224.

WarEagleAU and crtecha say thanks.
  2. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Notice that that is listed as a "e" processor, thats is going to be something people put to use in their HTPC's. I highly doubt that all the procs would come like that, since the current Tri-Cores have all the L3 everyone would most likely stick with them as they clock really well anyways. I got mine at 3.8ghz 24/7 stable finally.

3. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I did see that. Just thought TPU'ers would like some info even though its coming off a rumor mill.

4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, not calling you out, just pointing that out. If they drop the price on them for cutting out the L3 thats going to be damned tempting for when I put together an HTPC.

5. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    amd athlons are going to be quads and duals without the l3 cache

they will most likely have like a bit more cache on the l1 and l2 but will be cheaper and made for offices and htpcs ect pre builts the oem sector

even then id rather just see some cheap x4s phenom 2 that would be good for those type of rigs

6. HeadlessChicken New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would take a native dualcore version, even if it has less/little/no l3 cache, the lack of said cache should mean they overclock alot better :)