• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ARM Revokes Huawei's Chip IP Licence

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
UK has had issue with Huawei's security practices dating back to 2010.

And are currently barring them from core 5g networks.

ARM is unsurprisingly distancing themselves from them.

The irony about this here is about around a year ago, the UK Government were ready to green light plans for China to build a nuclear power station here in the UK for us that probably would of been powerful enough to run a quarter of the UK. Obviously security issues were considered and re-considered and the construction never went ahead but the fact that they even considered it was a laughable one. Its as silly as inviting Russia in to build our Nuclear Submarines.

But yes -- ARM is owned by a big Japanese conglomerate that owns 100% of ARM, Boston Dynamics, Fortress Investment Group and 87.1% stake in Brightstar Corporation -- all of which are American companies. Im guessing that SoftBank Group (The parent company/owners) had to act due to pressure from US Politicians.

Another thing which is also kinda ironic is that EPIC Games is part owned by a big chinese company which has ties to the chinese government but somehow they arent a security risk at all. While telecommunications is of course more important than some software you can install on your PC. It could still become a threat if Tencent buys a bigger stake in the company and start having their own people write the software for the launcher so they could put in all sorts of spyware and backdoors etc etc and its funny because a lot of people play fortenight. All Tencent would have to do is release an update for a launch and of a sudden they can turn every computer on the network into a zombie node

-- It sounds like a hollywood movie i know but you cant rule out that it wont happen since cyber attacks these days are a thing of the future.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The irony about this here is about around a year ago, the UK Government were ready to green light plans for China to build a nuclear power station here in the UK for us that probably would of been powerful enough to run a quarter of the UK. Obviously security issues were considered and re-considered and the construction never went ahead but the fact that they even considered it was a laughable one. Its as silly as inviting Russia in to build our Nuclear Submarines.
China is really the only country actively building boiling water reactors and pressurized water reactors right now. There really isn't many (any) options for alternatives unless you're willing to take on the enormous R&D effort yourself which...no one wants to because cost/benefit isn't there.

But yes, obvious security concerns are obvious. Makes one wonder how secure the reactors in China are. How many state-sponsored actors already have means to cause mass meltdowns in China? Scary thought.

Advantage of old nuclear reactors built during the Cold War being decommissioned today is there are really no systems to even hack.

This gets more and more bizarre with each passing day. I find it hard to believe this trade ban would reach out this far to ARM. Sure they have their Austin Texas center which usually produces the high performance parts like the A7X core IP and you can say that's US bound but what about the rest ? The low power stuff like the A5X core IP usually comes out of places like Cambridge/Budapest .

Nothing as far as I am concerned, even Apple that make their own custom cores still need the custom license from ARM for the ISA compatiblity. It's too much of a hurdle for Huawei to start making their own microarhitecure/ISA and their own software, they're without question dead.
They have a perpetual license to ARM v8 & I assume anything before that, they can also make custom cores. However they'll still have to pay royalty & we don't know the licensing fine print or contingencies in extenuating circumstances like these.
At a press event in January, Huawei explained their licensing structure with ARM.

https://i.guancha.cn/news/social/2019/0 ... 705158.png
https://i.guancha.cn/news/social/2019/0 ... 714644.png

The slide shows the different tiers of the ARM license, and that Huawei's license is the very top tier.

The bottom red bar of the slide says:

- Huawei has perpetual license to the ARMv8 architecture
- Huawei owns the IP relating to the ARMv8 architecture, and has the right to further develop it independently
- Huawei has the capability to independently develop the ARM architecture, unaffected by outside events

What this means is that:

- The only things that Huawei loses is support from ARM and access to future ARM architectures
- There's no legal barrier for it to manufacture and sell its own ARM variants

Source: https://www.guancha.cn/internation/2019 ... 2745.shtml
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...production-in-doubt/?comments=1&post=37404259

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
It's refreshing to see that the UK's still following the Blair era whoring to the US. </s>

On a more serious note, I really hope Huawei/China start fighting this with all the -economical- teeth and claws they have. Not really a fan of this de facto monopoly the US has on the tech world, and someone really should have a stand to this political bullying.
Couldn't have imagined I'd be backing the CPC in this life, but whaddya know...

System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
They don't care. I am sure they already have copy all the ins and outs of ARM's tech.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Ok now the question is what other alternate does the chinese giant left with if ARM has done this ?

I sorta answered that above. They have home grown MIPS64 chips.

Reactions: aQi
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Nothing as far as I am concerned, even Apple that make their own custom cores still need the custom license from ARM for the ISA compatiblity. It's too much of a hurdle for Huawei to start making their own microarhitecure/ISA and their own software, they're without question dead.

You guys obviously missed my posts.

China currently holds the number one (or did very recently) place in super computers with it's homegrown, domestic designed loongson based MIPS64 system supercomputers. Android fully supports MIPS64. If you think losing an arm license means 0 options you could not be more wrong.

They don't care. I am sure they already have copy all the ins and outs of ARM's tech.

They don't need to. They already did just that with MIPS.

Last edited:
While your logic is sound the facts wrt supercomputers doesn't hold up, Loongson is so 2018 ~ Summit has held the top spot on the super computing list for nearly a year now. Heck the top 2 are IBM systems.

D

Deleted member 158293

ARM just shot themselves in the FOOT

:D

Seriously, only thing this does is prevent ARM from collecting royalties...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
While your logic is sound the facts wrt supercomputers doesn't hold up, Loongson is so 2018 ~ Summit has held the top spot on the super computing list for nearly a year now. Heck the top 2 are IBM systems.

I did say "or did very recently." Loongson is still very high up there.

The most recent TOP500 is a little old (few months), but pegs them third:

Sierra’s ascendance pushed China’s Sunway TaihuLight supercomputer, installed at the National Supercomputing Center in Wuxi, into third place. Prior to last June, it had held the top position on the TOP500 list for two years with its HPL performance of 93.0 petaflops. TaihuLight was developed by China’s National Research Center of Parallel Computer Engineering & Technology (NRCPC).

Still respectable and useful tech.

The problem with Loongson is we don't know how it holds up against the best/fastest designs of ARM, let alone Power or x86 chips. Which is to say that MIPS might be a great alternative to ARM, for China, but the actual performance on ground, outside of super computers, is anybody's guess atm. China can use it for domestic consumption but in the rest of the world they'll have to compete with ARM, Intel, AMD etc.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Which is to say that MIPS might be a great alternative to ARM, for China, but the actual performance on groesund, outside of super computers, is anybody's guess atm.

There have been MIPS based notebooks produced by them. They are interesting little octocores. I applies for one from my previous work but was denied. Oh well.

Anyways what I hear is that it's rather energy efficient. I have no idea how the performance scales, but going from a literal 800MHz brick PC called the Fuloong (what I worked on) to a Supercomputer and Octocore MIPS notebook in only 4 years suggest the design is very flexible already.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
It's good that Kissinger's monster finally has some resistance.

As RTB (I think) said in the last thread, this will herald a "silicon curtain" between the [real] east and west rivaling the iron curtain of the 20th century. Locked out technologies, un-interoperable architecture, alien software, etc. Not good.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
China loves firewalls. If they're denied access to the great world, why wouldn't they focus on controlling their own populations? They already do that to a massive extent--this is an obvious shove towards the direction they were already going. Either the Chinese accept it, or they resist overthrowing their government. The choice is theirs to make...and bare the costs it brings.

...but no, that's an overly pessimistic view of the situation. More realistic is that Huawei is put out to pasture and China pretends like it never existed. Life goes on...and China probably tries to pull the same stunt with ZTE. It took almost a decade for the west to shut the door on Huawei, contingency plans have probably been in motion for a long time already.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
This is starting to look like a conspiracy. The UK is not the US, and AFAIK Huawei haven't infringed on ARM's IP ...
I can't think of any direct causality between US legal action and ARM's decision so I assume ARM simply doesn't want anything to do with the sinking ship that is Huawei.
ARM might be based in the UK, but it is now own by SoftBank which is a Japanese company.
It is not like a country that had been nuked twice by the USA, and still has US military base and an entire Carrier Strike Group station there would say no to Trump.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The Osaka-based company does not have a major production site for components in the United States, but it said the ban applies to goods having 25% or more of U.S.-originated technologies or materials.

US's military is in and around Japan at Japan's request (off topic):

It will certainly deeply wound them. Not certain it will kill them however.
While Android supports MIPS, there are problems with ARM native code which most Android devices run on. Couple that with the fact that Google has banned new devices from the Play store and it's game over for them. FDroid and Aptoide are good and have a lot of great apps, but are no replacements for the official Play store.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
It's refreshing to see that the UK's still following the Blair era whoring to the US. </s>

On a more serious note, I really hope Huawei/China start fighting this with all the -economical- teeth and claws they have. Not really a fan of this de facto monopoly the US has on the tech world, and someone really should have a stand to this political bullying.

Careful what you wish for. When the CPC becomes more dominant than the US, I think you will see a whole different dimension of monopoly.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

Careful what you wish for. When the CPC becomes more dominant than the US, I think you will see a whole different dimension of monopoly.

You certainly will, China is out for no one but itself in the end and that's been their goal and endgame for a very long time. If you honestly believe China woudn't make every attempt to take over and control things in your part of the world you really are blind. It's what they've been doing, not in what they say or promise because that speaks louder than any words spoken over it.

China only keeps agreements as long as it suits them to, this pattern has been repeated over and over again which in itself proves what they really have in mind. Actions in the Yellow Sea by building those "Islands" to assume more direct control over it is yet another example of just how agressive towards this end they are. Everyone that's not part of China itself is an adversary in their eyes like it or not - Expect them to play fair, ain't happening.
I have to say in all fairness the US and others aren't innocent either, that's just the truth but the overall means and goal of such is something that matters to everyone no matter where you are.

I can assure you once China gets it's claws into your system and takes over you'll change your mind.....That is if you're not part of it yourself and if you're not, you are a problem to be solved.
And they will solve it if at all possible by any means required of them.

System Name Nilin
Processor Ryzen 9 5800x
Motherboard Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li Galahad AIO 360
Memory G. Skill TridentZ Neo 32gb 3600Mhz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080
Storage Samsung Evo 960 250gb (System), Samsung Evo 860 500gb (Misc), Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb (Games)
Display(s) LG 27" UHD IPS, LG Ultragear 27" WQHD Nano IPS
Case InWin 303 (7x Fractal Prisma 120mm)
Power Supply Tt Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 3
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21022952 (old system)
Another thing which is also kinda ironic is that EPIC Games is part owned by a big chinese company which has ties to the chinese government but somehow they arent a security risk at all. While telecommunications is of course more important than some software you can install on your PC. It could still become a threat if Tencent buys a bigger stake in the company and start having their own people write the software for the launcher so they could put in all sorts of spyware and backdoors etc etc and its funny because a lot of people play fortenight.
I like how You mentioned tencent there,
if that would actually be so, is there a chance of for example blizzard backing out from diablo immortal? XD
or like Epic going under?
I know its far fetched but yeah.
Itd only make sense if US was more wary of other Chinese companies from now on...

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I like how You mentioned tencent there,
if that would actually be so, is there a chance of for example blizzard backing out from diablo immortal? XD
or like Epic going under?
I know its far fetched but yeah.
Itd only make sense if US was more wary of other Chinese companies from now on...

Tencent are one of these huge billion dollar conglomerates that have stakes iin almost everything or own a lot of businesses.

If you were a business on its last legs in terms of finances. You wouldn't turn down money from foreign investors...

Tencent supposedly owns some 48.2% stake in epic. So epic still gets to do as they please to a certain extent

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Processor Intel I7 6700
Motherboard Msi Z170i Pro Gaming AC
Cooling Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP
Memory Corsair LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980ti Extreme Gaming W3
Storage Samsung Evo 850 500GB + 250GB
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
Case Ncase M1
Power Supply Sharkoon Silentstorm SFX
Mouse Logitech MX Master, Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Corsair K65RGB
Software Win 10
Microsoft creates a criminal monopoly, obliges to use the problematic software (W10) and still steals our data. Facebook does the same... And no one goes to war.

But when Huawei supposedly collects data the end of the world begins... great.

Yeah, the US was not caught spying on the whole world a couple of years ago either