1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Armed Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by mlee49, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Are you in a branch of your government's armed forces? Well I'm not but my brother is so I though I'd share a bit about him and what he does in the US Army.

My brother joined the Army in 2005 as a helicopter mechanic cause he wasn't sure what he really wanted to do in life. It helped give him structure and purpose in his life and got him out of a shit hole of my home town. His first three years were spent at basic and other immediate training sites but his real back breaker was when he did 18 months straight in Sole S. Korea. Just imagine if you moved out of your home town and never really went outside of your state to experience anything and then all of a sudden your thousands of miles away from home in a complete shit hole. Crazy right?!

My bro signed up for 5 years and recently resigned for life(20yrs). He currently works as a Chinook Helicopter gunner. He's a crazy mofo anyways but now he hangs out the side of a helicopter and gets to play with a Mini Gun! He's on 106th Special Ops Aviation Regiment SOAR:

http://www.soc.mil/160soar/chinook.html

[​IMG]

Here's a vid of the Mini Gun he gets to play with:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RReAI3M1_K0

0:57 of this video is a clear pic of what he does:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwO1qZpU-EA&feature=related

by the way the mini gun is total domination!

If you or a friend or a family member are in the Armed Forces please post. You can post some details about what they do or where they were deployed to, I'd love to hear their story or simply MO.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. PP Mguire

PP Mguire

Thanks Received:
    My friend Michael signed up to the Marine's when he was 18. He's currently in Japan right now i believe. I dont know what he's doing though.

mlee49 says thanks.
  3. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I personally served in operations "Desert storm" and "Desert shield" and spent time in Somalia. Also my family has a long tradition of Military service from WWI through the current conflicts. I just had a little cousin return from his 2nd tour in Iraq as a Naval MP. He has decided to get out after 13 years of honorable service. I also have another cousin getting ready to deploy to the region this summer with his Marine reserve unit. He is a 2111 small arms mechanic (gunsmith), just like his big cousin was :D

4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Wow a gunsmith, not a usual trade people get into. Why did you choose that if I can ask?

5. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    I am proud to say that I have a Step Brother in Korea atm as a Helicopter mechanic. In a few months he will be shipped to Iraq.

mlee49 says thanks.
  6. richardbel

richardbel New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a close friend that is in sniper division.. man he's good..

7. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've always had a thing for weapons, even when I was growing up. I remember my first BB-gun when I was about 10 or 11 years old, I took it apart just to see what made it work. I never got it back together right, but damn did I have fun breaking it. ;)

8. TribeBuckeyeFan New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can't sign up for life. The max you can do on each reenlistment is 6 years. He may have decided to make it a career, but it will be incremental.

BTW - I'm retired Navy, 1985-2005.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  9. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    he said resigned for life, not signed up for life

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Thats what I ment Tribe, he's going career with it. 20 years to make it to pension status.

11. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not proud to say that my family has a history of servicemen and that most of my friends I grew up with became servicemen. I am proud to say I haven't and wouldn't serve this country's military. I'll never believe what some power hungry white guy tells me. We only get into wars because the powerful elite make stuff up for us to go to war over. It's all about power and money and military people are nothing more than pawns and cannon fodder. No thanks.

JC316 says thanks.
  12. TribeBuckeyeFan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Re-signed (as in signed up again), not resigned (as in terminating). I know what he said, and he clarified what he meant.

Fleck - you just may be living in the wrong country.

13. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Ok your entitled to your opinion, now please kindly delete your own post before we alert it for thread crapping.

bye bye

14. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm just stating my opinion, I'm not trying to crap or incite. Maybe you need to take a look at yourself and why you're so offended by my simple words.

15. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not like I'm lying or anything. That's the truth of government, power, wars, and the military.

16. TribeBuckeyeFan New Member

Thanks Received:
    And you know this how? Are you a government employee? Are you a veteran of the military? If the answer to these questions is NO, then you cannot sit there and say that is the truth because you don't know. You don't have the experience of either one to say what is the truth and what isn't.

Based on your profile, you obviously should have lived during the late 60's/early 70's era when it was hip to be down on the government and the military. I'm guessing you are at best in your mid-20's, with no life experience to back up anything that you might say.

17. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to serve in the military to know that most of the wars we have gotten into have been lies. Even how we were basically tricked into going into WWII was in my 11th grade history book.

But now we're getting off the subject. I didn't want to send this thread in a different direction. My original post is related to the original topic. I wasn't trolling and am not trolling now. I feel as though you are baiting me because you don't like my opinion and you want to silence me.

18. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, you're definitely batin and hatin now. I won't make myself seem like the bad guy here and I'll just leave it alone now, I don't want my opinions censored because you make me look like a troller or crapper coz it's just not true.

19. TribeBuckeyeFan New Member

Thanks Received:
    My point is that you are bringing up instances, that while they may or may not be true, are 50+ years old. You can't say that about the military now because you haven't served and you don't know what it is like. My military was totally different from my father's military.

20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course this thread is going to turn into this kind of garbage. Fleck, honestly you don't belong in this thread. I don't either as I have never served in any military service, so you don't see any posts from me in this thread. Get it? Now, you have forced me to post in this thread due to your original flame-baiting post. Really though, I'm not very sure this thread belongs at TPU anyway. It seems when anyone starts these types of threads, there is always a "Fleck" coming in to drag it off topic and turn it into their own personal conquest to defend their post that shouldn't of been posted in the first place.

Altered, Nick89, _jM and 1 other person say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually thats only partly true. Depending on the branch of service, once you pass a particular point of active duty (for me it was 13 years), they(the branch of service) may offer you a "Lifetime contract" taking you from a total 20 year commitment(21.6 yrs for me), to a total commitment of 35(+) years. Once this contract is signed you no longer have to "Re-enlist", and your ID card will no longer show an experiation date, but says "Lifetime" the same as Officers(usually 0-3 and above).

I was offered this twice once at 13 years and again at 17 years, I turned them down because they would not Re-negotiate my retirement benefits which were CRAP when I joined. But thats MY fault for not reading the "Fine Print" upon joining!
    :toast:

Note; These policy's change all the time so it may longer be true, but it was as of 1992.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Every male figure in my family are/is in the Air Force. My Grandfather (R.I.P.) served in WW2..Nam.. and a few other places I heard him rant about in the past. I myself was going to go into the Air Force but because of my tattoo's that I have , they turned me down. And that was the only branch I would/will serve in .. if i ever get a chance in the future.. I will always support and honor our troops no matter what war we are in. My flag flies high every day :D

23. TribeBuckeyeFan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Namslas90 - that is something I never knew (I joined in '85), but I know that policy was changed. Lifetime contracts do not exist anymore, and benefits cannot be negotiated. The type of retirement you (basically, your pension) is based on the time frame that you originally joined. Medical benefits and things like that are the same for everyone when they retire.

24. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    No, that's your opinion. Entitled to it. I fought for it. Twice. Doesn't mean I don't think you're a spineless...nvm.

Hon. Discharged Navy, 6 years. First carrier over for Desert Shield, last carrier to leave from Desert Storm. Engineering Dept, Nuclear Power Div. And thanks to those in here that have served, and are serving. To those who might have recently been in, or are going to Iraq or other likewise parts, remember that no matter how much we dislike Bush, or his reasons for the war, we also know the reason you went there: duty. Thank you.

Nick89, Fleck and mlee49 say thanks.
  25. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

May?? :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: