• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asetek Sues Cooler Master Over Multiple Patent Infringements

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That's not true. There would probably be less, though.

The problem is that with the patent system we impede progress by creating monopolies that last for far too long. And while in this case it seems that there is no case of prior art, generally speaking too many patents are awarded for which there is an obvious case of prior art or no real innovation.

Imo patents should grant much shorter periods of exclusive rights, and they should be dealt with (hugely) more quickly by the patent office. In addition, there should be stricter grounds on what they can be given for. I don't think that in this age of information availability that would be too hard to do.

Obviously you are right, there would be next to no innovation, but every once in a while we'd see someone come up with something. There would be far less people and companies willing to put any effort or money into coming up with new idea if they knew that someone could just use the idea menaing they wouldn't make any money back.

I don't believe 14 years(7 for drugs) is too long for a patent to last. Any shorter than that and the companies are likely to make their money back on a lot of their products they design, and hence aren't likely to put any money into research and development.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro rev1.1
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 280 w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600@CL16 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 6800 XT @2600
Storage NVME: A-data SX8200 PRO 512 GB M2 +Gammix S11 Pro 1 TB M2 +Patriot 1 TB; 1 TB;HDD 3TB+2TB+4TB+8TB
Display(s) Lenovo Legion Y27q-20
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX GOLD 850W /UPS Mustek 1000 VA @600W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 110/Logitech G203
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB
Software W10 Enterprise
What is with this hate for the US. The Euro Union as a whole has much more problems than the US as a whole.
The only other nation that is worth comparing to is China which has way more problems than the US ever did.

The only problematic thing here is a country named US. Not EU (which is not a country to compare off) or China who has no such things !!

Innovation doesnt come from an invented piece of LAW (which a patent is after all) but from GENIUS people around the world !

Heck where was this patent system of yours when China invented hundreds of things (gunpowder, printer, paper etc.) or Iran (persians) with their windmill, modern brick, even icecream that u eat everyday probably, and lots of others.

Processor Core i5-10400
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Back then the secrecy behind each invention was protection enough, not to mention restricted access to materials an machinery. Nowadays everybody has access to everything so you can't rely on obscurity to protect your inventions.

BTW the next time you come up with a profitable idea you could come here and share it with us. :toast:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The only problematic thing here is a country named US. Not EU (which is not a country to compare off) or China who has no such things !!

Innovation doesnt come from an invented piece of LAW (which a patent is after all) but from GENIUS people around the world !

Heck where was this patent system of yours when China invented hundreds of things (gunpowder, printer, paper etc.) or Iran (persians) with their windmill, modern brick, even icecream that u eat everyday probably, and lots of others.

Yeah, China fought wars and slaughter anyone that tried to leave the country with their inventions to protect its inventions. That is definitely a lot better than having a patent system.

And the EU's set of laws are total horse shit, they are so bad they even go as far as to tell someone what they can and can't name their own product. It is ridiculous.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro rev1.1
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 280 w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600@CL16 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 6800 XT @2600
Storage NVME: A-data SX8200 PRO 512 GB M2 +Gammix S11 Pro 1 TB M2 +Patriot 1 TB; 1 TB;HDD 3TB+2TB+4TB+8TB
Display(s) Lenovo Legion Y27q-20
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX GOLD 850W /UPS Mustek 1000 VA @600W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 110/Logitech G203
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB
Software W10 Enterprise
Yeah, China fought wars and slaughter anyone that tried to leave the country with their inventions to protect its inventions. That is definitely a lot better than having a patent system.

And the EU's set of laws are total horse shit, they are so bad they even go as far as to tell someone what they can and can't name their own product. It is ridiculous.

What the hell? Where do u get all this (dis)info? Seriously stop spreading lies.
About Europe, another big BS lie, i actually live in EU, u dont and dont talk about ridiculous laws when US and it's 50 states that some of 'em have so many laws concercing aspects of the private human behaviour that's so retarded u would think who made these into law! U can actually find 'em on google. Pretty much sure most countries from EU, altouhg have different sets of law, all have the same goal.

D

Deleted member 67555

So they are suing over the water block pump?
Next Lawsuit I see is Aquatop suing Asetek....

Aquatop make submersible closed loop aquarium heaters that gently disperse heat in aquariums and they are pretty much the same dammed thing LOL...

Processor Core i5-10400
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
So they are suing over the water block pump?
Next Lawsuit I see is Aquatop suing Asetek....

Aquatop make submersible closed loop aquarium heaters that gently disperse heat in aquariums and they are pretty much the same dammed thing LOL...

1) Can you buy one of those Aquatop units and, without modification, use it to cool your CPU?
2) Does the Aquatop patent claims that it can be used to cool CPUs?
Unless the answer to both questions is Yes then Aquatop can't touch Asetek.

People, remember that what the patent protects is specified in the claims. You can't just read the title ("Cooling system for a computer system") and assume that Asetek is patenting all the cooling systems. I can assure you that there are thousands of patents by several entities that are named "Cooling system for a computer system".