1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock 939 Dual Sata-2 and 939 Dual VSTA

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Pandaz3, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had two of the Sata-2 boards and am very happy with them. I switched my main machine to a VSTA version for two reasons, 1. Vista RC 2 was luke cool toward the Sata-2 board (Ran well but hated my video card in the performance figures) now that is not enough of a reason for me to change, but I received a Abit UL8 back from RMA and it won't post.... so I thought I would just use my existing , good Dual Sata-2 board for it and possibly clear up two problems. I made the change last night and I don't have my sound sorted yet, but I'll get it.

At first blush you would think nothing is different between these two boards, (939 Dual Sata-2 and 939 Dual-VSTA) but look a little closer.

The six capacitors nearest the CPU are the same height, but a smaller diameter. The CPU Fan header now has four pins (Easy to use a normal 3 pin connector) The onboard sound is different and has three fatter capacitors, where it had two smaller one before.there are a few other small changes too.

Now for the worst thing I found, it(VSTA) only has one USB header where the 939 Dual Sata-2 had two.

(Sigh) but I'll live with it.

I am using Win XP Pro X64 modified with a beta SP2 and the only driver I installed was the Audio. I am just using a cheap Logitech gaming headset, but I have had no luck with audio on the front panel and yet to try the rear, but I lose interest in tracking it down, pretty fast. I'll get it sorted or re-install my Audigy 2 Value. I wanted to try the onboard

Okay how do I have it set up. I am using a Seasonic S-12 430 W PSU, X2 4400 (240 x 11, 2.640)(45 C while folding), Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, X850 Pro flashed to X850XT PE (12 pipes)(AC Silencer cooler), 2 X 1Gig GSKill PC3200 (2.5, 3,3,6) going to a Old 955 DF CRT. It is in a Antec "Sonata" Case.

I do have VISTA RC2 Build 5744, 64 bit, on the machine, but yet to try it I will get the sound sorted and then try Flight Simulator X (A real test for any system) and "A Company of Heros" when I do get sound.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Great for you.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I suspect Vista 64 did not like my old system because of the flashed AGP card, but XP X64 loved it, hard to buy a 939 Dual Sata-2 locally, now all they stock are the 939 Dual-VSTA, the differences are mostly transparent to the user. I think the onboard sound is a bit better, but I like the extra USB header as I use the front connections a good bit. With my Card reader I only get one USB Port and my two front case ports are unconnected. Limits easy use of your USB Thumb drives.

10 Year Member at TPU