• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock B450M Pro not recognizing nvme SSD with Ryzen 2700

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hi all. I have an ASRock B450m Pro motherboard. It has one NVME slot and one SATA M.2 slot. I have been using it with a 3700x for a long time, with an Intel P660 NVME drive in the NVME slot. I recently sold a different computer, but that one didn't support Ryzen 2xxx processors, so I put my 3700x in it to sell, and downgraded my own machine to a Ryzen 2700.

After switching processors, the NVME drive is no longer recognized by the BIOS. I have played around with the slot generation settings and all that in the BIOS, but nothing seems to make it appear. I am running the latest BIOS.

I can make the drive appear by swapping out the CPU for a Ryzen 3 5300g that I have from another machine. As soon as I swap back to the 2700, it is gone again.

It shouldn't be an issue with unavailable lanes, as a Ryzen 3700x and 2700 should have the same 20 lanes available, right?

Anybody ever seen anything like this?

D

Deleted member 185158

If the board supported a 3700X, it likely supported the 2700. Unless it was some locked down OEM deal....

Check the 2700 for a slightly bent pin or two.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Hi all. I have an ASRock B450m Pro motherboard. It has one NVME slot and one SATA M.2 slot. I have been using it with a 3700x for a long time, with an Intel P660 NVME drive in the NVME slot. I recently sold a different computer, but that one didn't support Ryzen 2xxx processors, so I put my 3700x in it to sell, and downgraded my own machine to a Ryzen 2700.

After switching processors, the NVME drive is no longer recognized by the BIOS. I have played around with the slot generation settings and all that in the BIOS, but nothing seems to make it appear. I am running the latest BIOS.

I can make the drive appear by swapping out the CPU for a Ryzen 3 5300g that I have from another machine. As soon as I swap back to the 2700, it is gone again.

It shouldn't be an issue with unavailable lanes, as a Ryzen 3700x and 2700 should have the same 20 lanes available, right?

Anybody ever seen anything like this?
I have that same board (with most recent UEFI/BIOS) with NVMe and recently swapped my 2700 for 3950x without issue. Did you try resetting the UEFI/BIOS to defaults after the CPU swap?
How are you verifying the UEFI/BIOS can see the drive? I use the NVMe sanitation tool to see if the drive listed there.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
I had the same issue with the same board and cpu (Asrock B450M and Ryzen 2700). Tried a couple of different ways but never really got it resolved... including a pcie slot adapter for the nvme. Ended up just going with a sata SSD since I was selling it anyway.

Interested in the solution if one is found.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have that same board (with most recent UEFI/BIOS) with NVMe and recently swapped my 2700 for 3950x without issue. Did you try resetting the UEFI/BIOS to defaults after the CPU swap?
How are you verifying the UEFI/BIOS can see the drive? I use the NVMe sanitation tool to see if the drive listed there.
Good to know it can work with a 2700 then. What drive do you have?
I did reset BIOS multiple times, no change.
I can't see it in the NVME sanitation tool, storage settings, boot options, nothing.
I had the same issue with the same board and cpu (Asrock B450M and Ryzen 2700). Tried a couple of different ways but never really got it resolved... including a pcie slot adapter for the nvme. Ended up just going with a sata SSD since I was selling it anyway.

Interested in the solution if one is found.
Thanks for the info, cause I was about to try a PCIE slot adapter. Good to know not to waste my time.

If the board supported a 3700X, it likely supported the 2700. Unless it was some locked down OEM deal....

Check the 2700 for a slightly bent pin or two.
I did consider that and checked the pins. Don't see any obvious issues. Also, it is not a locked OEM type board, it's off the shelf. It does absolutely support the 2700, runs, boots, etc. Only the nvme drive is not recognized.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Mouse Logitech M575
I can't see it in the NVME sanitation tool, storage settings, boot options, nothing.

Thanks for the info, cause I was about to try a PCIE slot adapter. Good to know not to waste my time.
I have a Crucial CT1000P1SSDB 1TB in that pc as the first NVMe on the motherboard.

PCIe slot adapter should work although I've only tried it with ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 4.0 X4 Expansion Card in the x16 PCIe slot. Overkill if you don't need that much storage and a video card will work in the last PCIe slot (at PCIe 2.0/1.1) if you want to turn the board into an NVMe storage server and don't have an APU. I don't imagine you will have an issue with a smaller PCIe NVMe adaptor.

My x570 glitched with a Seagate 520 NVMe SSD software at one point and reboot wouldn't recognize the drive. I had to unplug the system for awhile then cold boot to get it to recognize any NVMe. After that it worked normally again. Something you might try if you haven't already.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185158

I did consider that and checked the pins. Don't see any obvious issues. Also, it is not a locked OEM type board, it's off the shelf. It does absolutely support the 2700, runs, boots, etc. Only the nvme drive is not recognized.
Oh I meant the support for the 2700 in the board you sold with a 3700X. No doubt it should have supported the 2700 as well.

Unless the cpu has some underlying issue...

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have a Crucial CT1000P1SSDB 1TB in that pc as the first NVMe on the motherboard.

PCIe slot adapter should work although I've only tried it with ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 4.0 X4 Expansion Card in the first PCIe slot. Overkill if you don't need that much storage and a video card will work in the last PCIe slot (at PCIe 2.0/1.1) if you want to turn the board into an NVMe storage server and don't have an APU. I don't imagine you will have an issue with a smaller PCIe NVMe adaptor.

My x570 glitched with a Seagate 520 NVMe SSD software at one point and reboot wouldn't recognize the drive. I had to unplug the system for awhile then cold boot to get it to recognize any NVMe. After that it worked normally again. Something you might try if you haven't already.
I'd wonder if maybe it's the drive then. Maybe it just doesn't play well with the intel ssd, idk. I would rather not put a PCIE slot adapter in the first slot, as it's a gaming machine. Similarly, I'd like to not use one in the bottom slot, because that slot is covered by my triple slot graphics card lol. I would try it just to see if it works, but I wouldn't want it as a permanent solution. Either way, according to the specs, the bottom PCIE slot shares bandwidth with the NVME slot (which is obviously unpopulated).

Oh I meant the support for the 2700 in the board you sold with a 3700X. No doubt it should have supported the 2700 as well.

Unless the cpu has some underlying issue...
Oooh I see. The board does not support anything less than 3xxx, unfortunately. Was an Asus ASRock itx b550 board. Regardless, it's gone and I'm not getting it back lol. I did not discover this issue until after it was gone, or I would not have sold it. I thought the only tradeoff I would make is downgrading the processor, not completely losing my NVME support!

Edit: ASRock B550m itx/ac.
As you can see, only 3xxx+ support.
Though some boards do support all Ryzen models, it's not a given. That being said, now that I remembered that was an ASRock mobo as well, I'm beginning to see a pattern of ASRock having weird quirks. Maybe I should switch to something else lol.

Last edited:

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
I'd wonder if maybe it's the drive then. Maybe it just doesn't play well with the intel ssd, idk. I would rather not put a PCIE slot adapter in the first slot, as it's a gaming machine. Similarly, I'd like to not use one in the bottom slot, because that slot is covered by my triple slot graphics card lol. I would try it just to see if it works, but I wouldn't want it as a permanent solution. Either way, according to the specs, the bottom PCIE slot shares bandwidth with the NVME slot (which is obviously unpopulated).
My nvme was a Team MP33 and even tried it with a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 no dice with either. Note that similar to you the board had a zen 2 chip in it (3900X) before dropping in the 2700- I'm thinking something in the bios update to support zen 2 messed up nvme support for an older cpu

D

Deleted member 185158

Oooh I see. The board does not support anything less than 3xxx, unfortunately. Was an Asus ASRock itx b550 board. Regardless, it's gone and I'm not getting it back lol. I did not discover this issue until after it was gone, or I would not have sold it. I thought the only tradeoff I would make is downgrading the processor, not completely losing my NVME support!

Though some boards do support all Ryzen models, it's not a given. That being said, now that I remembered that was an ASRock mobo as well, I'm beginning to see a pattern of ASRock having weird quirks. Maybe I should switch to something else lol.

Ok, I see clearly now.
I have nothing really good to say about AsRock. I'm an Asus guy myself.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
I'd wonder if maybe it's the drive then. Maybe it just doesn't play well with the intel ssd, idk.
I was hoping reseating the CPU or extended poweroff would have resolved your issue. You could try toggling CSM on and off with reboot. I am a bit curious now I might pop back in my 2700 to see what happens cause if I sell or gift my board next year I'll probably include it with the 2700 and it would be good to know if this is a reproducible problem with this board.
I would rather not put a PCIE slot adapter in the first slot, as it's a gaming machine. Similarly, I'd like to not use one in the bottom slot, because that slot is covered by my triple slot graphics card lol. I would try it just to see if it works, but I wouldn't want it as a permanent solution. Either way, according to the specs, the bottom PCIE slot shares bandwidth with the NVME slot (which is obviously unpopulated).
I might have been a bit confusing before but PCIE1 is a 2.0 x1 slot, PCIE2(3.0 x16), and PCIE3(2.0 x4) so when I said I put the NVMe adaptor in slot 1 I really meant into the x16 slot.

I recall reading somewhere in TPU forums newer AGESA updates allowed 2000 series to be installed in B550 however YMMV.

-----
Since your 2nd slot is blocked by your GPU you could try getting and NVMe to SATA adaptor so at least you won't have to reinstall everything assuming the SSD is not damaged somehow. I don't know if there is a NVMe x4 to x1 adaptor.

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
The problem with these bios's there was effectively 3 major versions, and you should stick to the major version thats best for the cpu generation.

So you have zen and zen+ which is best on early versions.
zen2 which is best on later versions but not the latest.
zen3 which is best on latest version.

I know when I upgraded my bios in preperation to installing my 5600G (old CPU was 2600X), was that the majority of the features vanished on the 2600X but some of them reappeared when the 5600G got installed. Potentially things would break as well if I tried to carry on using the 2600X for a bios that wasnt designed for it.

I have the non M model (seems the M is more popular though)

Looking at the bios list. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

1.60 is probably the best version for the 2700, possibly 2.00 as absolute newest.
4.30 best for 3000 series chips.
5.30 (or 5.40 beta) best for 5000 series chips.

You might need to find a way to downgrade the bios to solve this.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
My nvme was a Team MP33 and even tried it with a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 no dice with either. Note that similar to you the board had a zen 2 chip in it (3900X) before dropping in the 2700- I'm thinking something in the bios update to support zen 2 messed up nvme support for an older cpu
Yea that is weird. Seems like that is the direction I should look though, for sure. I bet chances of being able to downgrade the bios are nil...

I was hoping reseating the CPU or extended poweroff would have resolved your issue. You could try toggling CSM on and off with reboot. I am a bit curious now I might pop back in my 2700 to see what happens cause if I sell or gift my board next year I'll probably include it with the 2700 and it would be good to know if this is a reproducible problem with this board.

I might have been a bit confusing before but PCIE1 is a 2.0 x1 slot, PCIE2(3.0 x16), and PCIE3(2.0 x4) so when I said I put the NVMe adaptor in slot 1 I really meant into the x16 slot.

I recall reading somewhere in TPU forums newer AGESA updates allowed 2000 series to be installed in B550 however YMMV.

-----
Since your 2nd slot is blocked by your GPU you could try getting and NVMe to SATA adaptor so at least you won't have to reinstall everything assuming the SSD is not damaged somehow. I don't know if there is a NVMe x4 to x1 adaptor.
Yea, reseating didn't work. Even tried another 2700 I had in another workstation. Tried toggling CSM, nothing. I figured as much, about the PCI slot numbering. :toast: As far as AGESA updates, yea I can see that being the case, but there was none available for that board. It had the latest bios.
As for the drive and reinstalling, the use of the NVME slot is the concern here. The drive had games on it, nothing to worry about data-wise.
The problem with these bios's there was effectively 3 major versions, and you should stick to the major version thats best for the cpu generation.

So you have zen and zen+ which is best on early versions.
zen2 which is best on later versions but not the latest.
zen3 which is best on latest version.

I know when I upgraded my bios in preperation to installing my 5600G (old CPU was 2600X), was that the majority of the features vanished on the 2600X but some of them reappeared when the 5600G got installed. Potentially things would break as well if I tried to carry on using the 2600X for a bios that wasnt designed for it.

I have the non M model (seems the M is more popular though)

Looking at the bios list. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

1.60 is probably the best version for the 2700, possibly 2.00 as absolute newest.
4.30 best for 3000 series chips.
5.30 (or 5.40 beta) best for 5000 series chips.

You might need to find a way to downgrade the bios to solve this.
Yea, that seems like the direction to look for sure. I was aware of the implications of the various BIOSs and CPU generations... but I had never before seen features be disabled/broken by them like this. Usually in my experience with Ryzen (which is considerable... I've had at least two of every generation so far) it's either the CPU works with a particular BIOS revision or it doesn't. I've never seen it do anything like this. So thank you for the insight!

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
As for the drive and reinstalling, the use of the NVME slot is the concern here. The drive had games on it, nothing to worry about data-wise.
Have you tried swapping the NVMe out to see if a different one is recognized?

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Have you tried swapping the NVMe out to see if a different one is recognized?
Yes, a kioxia nvme drive out of another machine. Also not recognized. Those are the only two NVME drives I have. Have a pile of m.2 sata drives, but only the two NVME drives. So I can't really do a wide compatibility test.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Yes, a kioxia nvme drive out of another machine. Also not recognized. Those are the only two NVME drives I have. Have a pile of m.2 sata drives, but only the two NVME drives. So I can't really do a wide compatibility test.
Well that sounds like bad news. I'd open a ticket with ASRock perhaps if this problem is caused by UEFI/BIOS issue they might be able to resolve it especially since it works with your 5000 series CPU but not your 2700. A few times I was able to get a resolution from ASRock with UEFI/BIOS updates after a support ticket with my ASRock boards so you might have some luck there.

FYI I found this post https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17376&OB=DESC
A user says Kioxia is not compatible.

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well that sounds like bad news. I'd open a ticket with ASRock perhaps if this problem is caused by UEFI/BIOS issue they might be able to resolve it especially since it works with your 5000 series CPU but not your 2700. A few times I was able to get a resolution from ASRock with UEFI/BIOS updates after a support ticket with my ASRocks boards so you might have some luck there.

FYI I found this post https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17376&OB=DESC
A user says Kioxia is not compatible.
That would seem a miracle if they were going to make a bios patch specifically for me lol. But I guess it's worth a shot. Good to know the Kioxia is not compatible, but I'm 100% sure the intel one is "compatible" because it worked with the 3700x and 5300g.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
That would seem a miracle if they were going to make a bios patch specifically for me lol. But I guess it's worth a shot. Good to know the Kioxia is not compatible, but I'm 100% sure the intel one is "compatible" because it worked with the 3700x and 5300g.
I forgot if it allows this but you could try reflashing the current UEFI/BIOS. I would reset to defaults before and after reflashing and don't reuse existing saved profiles.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Tried downgrading to 3.5 (the oldest version that can be flashed.) Everything newer than that has notes "not recommended for pinnacle ridge" and everything older than that cannot be flashed.

Didn't fix it. :(

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Can you do progressive downgrades?

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Tried downgrading to 3.5 (the oldest version that can be flashed.) Everything newer than that has notes "not recommended for pinnacle ridge" and everything older than that cannot be flashed.

Didn't fix it. :(
I read somewhere ASRock says that simply because there is no benefit for older CPU's for UEFI/BIOS revisions that add support for newer CPU's, however the catch 22 is if you want or need certain fixes you kind of have no choice ... for example RAM, USB, TPM, RTX40, and the recent security vulnerability fixes ... because AMD doesn't branch out fixes based on CPU architecture, it's all or nothing relying on AMD not breaking something regarding older CPU support as they move forward.

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
There is a way to downgrade, I remember looking into it, but if I remember right its using an unsupported tool and has none of the safety checks you get with the official flashing, so potentially bricked board if goes wrong. So e.g. the tool wouldnt stop you if flashing a bios for another board. 3.50 will still be a way too new version to get the full 2000 series compatibility. However if you have already discovered that your SSD is not compatible with the board from other sources then perhaps its not worth taking the risk.

If I was in your situation I would consider selling the 2000 chip and buying a used 5000 chip with hopefully not too much of a net cost.

(reason I looked into bios downgrade was I had lost the isolated pcie lane routing after bios upgrade, unsupported officially on 5600G, and when putting the 2600X back in, it was one of the features cut for it on the new bios, luckily when I emailed ASRock they implemented the feature via another way to make it work on the 5600G and sent me the bios which was awesome support so I was saved). Also the reason the newer bios's get features cut for the older chips is that the bios chip size isnt big enough to fully support all features for all cpu's over 3 generations.

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Can you do progressive downgrades?
Nothing earlier than 3.5 will flash. At least not with the official tool.

I read somewhere ASRock says that simply because there is no benefit for older CPU's for UEFI/BIOS revisions that add support for newer CPU's, however the catch 22 is if you want or need certain fixes you kind of have no choice ... for example RAM, USB, TPM, RTX40, and the recent security vulnerability fixes ... because AMD doesn't branch out fixes based on CPU architecture, it's all or nothing relying on AMD not breaking something regarding older CPU support as they move forward.
Yea, that all makes sense. I mean, it's not GOOD, but I get it. RTX40 optimizations came to my mind as well. ASRock is basically saying there's no point in running a 40 series with a 2xxx Ryzen, since the older BIOS revisions will never get those fixes. And that's just completely untrue.

There is a way to downgrade, I remember looking into it, but if I remember right its using an unsupported tool and has none of the safety checks you get with the official flashing, so potentially bricked board if goes wrong. So e.g. the tool wouldnt stop you if flashing a bios for another board. 3.50 will still be a way too new version to get the full 2000 series compatibility. However if you have already discovered that your SSD is not compatible with the board from other sources then perhaps its not worth taking the risk.

If I was in your situation I would consider selling the 2000 chip and buying a used 5000 chip with hopefully not too much of a net cost.

(reason I looked into bios downgrade was I had lost the isolated pcie lane routing after bios upgrade, unsupported officially on 5600G, and when putting the 2600X back in, it was one of the features cut for it on the new bios, luckily when I emailed ASRock they implemented the feature via another way to make it work on the 5600G and sent me the bios which was awesome support so I was saved). Also the reason the newer bios's get features cut for the older chips is that the bios chip size isnt big enough to fully support all features for all cpu's over 3 generations.
I've flashed things that nobody should attempt in my day, I'm not scared lol. That being said, if it comes to it, I will obviously just buy a 5xxx chip and be done with it. (If I stay with this platform at all I guess... Could just do a full upgrade, but it seems like a waste when the machine was perfectly capable of anything I could ask of it before.) I was mainly trying to get it back working without having to do much work lol. But if I've got to spend money anyway, who knows. Honestly, I'd leave the 5300g in it, except the other machine needs it. (Prebuilt HP that only supports 5300g and 5700g)

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Yea, that all makes sense. I mean, it's not GOOD, but I get it. RTX40 optimizations came to my mind as well. ASRock is basically saying there's no point in running a 40 series with a 2xxx Ryzen, since the older BIOS revisions will never get those fixes. And that's just completely untrue.
I'm not so sure they are saying that as much as it's how circumstances have been laid out with the platform and it's longevity. The logistics to actively maintain multiple versions of released software can get complicated and I imagine the same could be true for firmware. I think they opted to pack it all together in a big monolithic package and as long as you have enough firmware storage it's manageable.
Early on MSI found that out the hard way leading them to come out later with the MAX series.

I think ASRock is still in the mindset "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so don't update your UEFI/BIOS if you don't need too and a lot of their warnings seems to reflect that thinking. Unfortunately with AMD long lasting socket strategy and upgrade path is kind of in direct opposition to the rule. I think for AMD at least the new normal is now update your UEFI/BIOS as fast as we can fix it. For boards with flashback this is perhaps not so much an issue.
I've flashed things that nobody should attempt in my day, I'm not scared lol. That being said, if it comes to it, I will obviously just buy a 5xxx chip and be done with it. (If I stay with this platform at all I guess... Could just do a full upgrade, but it seems like a waste when the machine was perfectly capable of anything I could ask of it before.) I was mainly trying to get it back working without having to do much work lol. But if I've got to spend money anyway, who knows.
I was surprised you back flashed it actually as my suggestion was to simply reflash the latest version. I suppose you can try incrementally flashing forward now to see if a version will end up unlocking the NVMe again with the 2700. On the bright side if you can't get the NVMe working with it perhaps you have found an excuse to get a 5800x3D.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm not so sure they are saying that as much as it's how circumstances have been laid out with the platform and it's longevity. The logistics to actively maintain multiple versions of released software can get complicated and I imagine the same could be true for firmware. I think they opted to pack it all together in a big monolithic package and as long as you have enough firmware storage it's manageable.
Early on MSI found that out the hard way leading them to come out later with the MAX series.

I think ASRock is still in the mindset "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so don't update your UEFI/BIOS if you don't need too and a lot of their warnings seems to reflect that thinking. Unfortunately with AMD long lasting socket strategy and upgrade path is kind of in direct opposition to the rule. I think for AMD at least the new normal is now update your UEFI/BIOS as fast as we can fix it. For boards with flashback this is perhaps not so much an issue.

I was surprised you back flashed it actually as my suggestion was to simply reflash the latest version. I suppose you can try incrementally flashing forward now to see if a version will end up unlocking the NVMe again with the 2700. On the bright side if you can't get the NVMe working with it perhaps you have found an excuse to get a 5800x3D.
Yea, I get it. I'm in software myself, so I understand the complexities. I also understand that other manufacturers are handling it, either by just maintaining a lot of different versions, or by increasing the flash size on their boards to compensate. And I know it's an old board, but I have an Asus B350 board that is even older, and it handles this situation just fine, I have now confirmed.

I did not re-flash the most recent bios, but mostly because I had just clean flashed that latest version right before starting this thread anyway. It had been on an older (3xxxx compatible) bios version for most of its time in my possession. I thought I had addressed that earlier, but juggling so many different replies got messy lol. I guess it's worth a shot, I'll try it again. :toast: