• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock X570 Taichi

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
and from my understanding it pulls that power pretty much continously.
Hmm... I recall hearing bits on the web that these only would spin up when using PCIe4 devices or using the chipset set heavily (many devices, lots of IO)?

Apologies if it is mentioned in the review (did not read them yet), but what was the fan behavior on this board? The other?

The BIOS just sits there without power savings and almost comes off like it has a slight load on it.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The X570 chipset uses more than double the power of previous generations, and from my understanding it pulls that power pretty much continously. That is why fans made a comeback.

In fact I typically saw some of the highest temps on the chipset while in the BIOS, on both boards I have tested so far.
Obviously they didn't put the fan there because the chipset was running cool :p
The question is why does it need to draw that much power.
Hmm... I recall hearing bits on the web that these only would spin up when using PCIe4 devices or using the chipset set heavily (many devices, lots of IO)?

Apologies if it is mentioned in the review (did not read them yet), but what was the fan behavior on this board? The other?

The BIOS just sits there without power savings and almost comes off like it has a slight load on it.
Aren't some of the PCIe 4.0 links used to communicate with the CPU? That would means they always in use as long as you use a Zen2 CPU.

Aren't some of the PCIe 4.0 links used to communicate with the CPU? That would means they always in use as long as you use a Zen2 CPU.
Edited: Yes.

But with Intel, simply using the DMI (yes, its PCIe3) doesn't seem to cause the chipset to heat up. I am swimming out of my lane here, but I don't know why that would be different on that particular communication line (from chipset to CPU).

Black Haru

Staff member

The fan runs full speed by default on the current BIOS.
Obviously they didn't put the fan there because the chipset was running cool :p
The question is why does it need to draw that much power.

PCIe 4.0 uses way more power.

The fan runs full speed by default on the current BIOS.
Oof...

Even at idle it can't be passive? Yikes. I should get my boards in for testing this week... hopefully some have a 'zero fan' capability.

MSI has cheap model X-570 A PRO with chipset fan stopping below certain temperature (they did not mentioned at which temp) with user selectable fan speed-temp curve.
Any chance Techpowerup reviewing their new mobos to see how they are dealing with this issue ?

Black Haru

Staff member
Oof...

Even at idle it can't be passive? Yikes. I should get my boards in for testing this week... hopefully some have a 'zero fan' capability.

It can be adjusted, but I always test at default. I didn't mess with the settings too much because I couldn't hear the fan over the ambient system noise (its not a quiet bench), and the GPU obscures it so I can't see it either.

I should have tested the Taichi with the fan off, it has enough mass that it might be ok, so long as the M.2 drive isn't heavily loaded. The ASUS Prime X570-Pro absolutely needs the fan, the heatsink is relatively small.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Edited: Yes.

But with Intel, simply using the DMI (yes, its PCIe3) doesn't seem to cause the chipset to heat up. I am swimming out of my lane here, but I don't know why that would be different on that particular communication line (from chipset to CPU).
Eh, even AMD's own X470 or X370 didn't need half that power for PCIe 3.0.
And it's not like PCIe 4.0 uses more current or voltage, because it's backwards compatible. Oh well...

Black Haru

Staff member
Eh, even AMD's own X470 or X370 didn't need half that power for PCIe 3.0.
And it's not like PCIe 4.0 uses more current or voltage, because it's backwards compatible. Oh well...

My understanding is that maintaining signal integrity for 4.0 requires more power.

Processor Intel 12600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15S; Case: 2xNoctua NF-A14, 1xNF-S12A.
Memory Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 @3600CL16 2*16GB
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Crucial MX500 500gb + WD Red 6TB
Display(s) Dell S2721qs
Case Phanteks P300A Mesh
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC204HD
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 560W
Mouse Glorious Model D-
To be honest, even if it's tdp is 25W (I remember people saying here that it's around 15?), I don't see how that can't be cooled passively with a copper finstack, maybe connected with heatpipes to another somewhere else on the board.
I mean, intel x48 was at 30W and I don't recall any motherboards having coolers. Yes, there's the issue of long GPUs conflicting with a big radiator but maybe some creative positioning could do away with that one too.

iamnoobtroll266

Is the audio output from this motherboard up to par with the likes of the crosshair hero and gigabyte's higher end boards?

Also, regarding the fan, how loud is at 50% fan speed (I've heard that's the lowest it goes)?

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
To be honest, even if it's tdp is 25W (I remember people saying here that it's around 15?), I don't see how that can't be cooled passively with a copper finstack, maybe connected with heatpipes to another somewhere else on the board.
I mean, intel x48 was at 30W and I don't recall any motherboards having coolers. Yes, there's the issue of long GPUs conflicting with a big radiator but maybe some creative positioning could do away with that one too.
Apparently there are two X570 versions: a 15W and a 11W one. But get this, the 15W is reserved more for workstations because it sports more PCIe lanes.

Is the audio output from this motherboard up to par with the likes of the crosshair hero and gigabyte's higher end boards?

Also, regarding the fan, how loud is at 50% fan speed (I've heard that's the lowest it goes)?
Look up the specs and compare. ;)

iamnoobtroll266

I only see NE5532 amp for the front panel connector on their website, can't find any other info about it other than it's ALC1220

I only see NE5532 amp for the front panel connector on their website, can't find any other info about it other than it's ALC1220
What more are you looking for? Are you an audio guy that needs to dig into the minutia of SnR etc?

ALC1220 is one of the high end audio chips on motherboards.

iamnoobtroll266

What more are you looking for? Are you an audio guy that needs to dig into the minutia of SnR etc?

ALC1220 is one of the high end audio chips on motherboards.

No not an audio guy, i've used 2 motherboards that both sport the ALC1220 codec, however one of them had a much better amp/dac combo than the other, and there's a sizeable difference (Z270mx-gaming-5 & Z370 gaming 7). Before I pull the trigger on a motherboard, I just want to make sure the audio part is up to par, nothing worse then buying a high-end mobo and getting short-changed.
Suppose I should wait longer for more reviews to come out and then decide.

The specifications page and/or features typically have sections which go into detail on the respective audio bits... I would try looking at the website of the boards you are looking at and see.

Id imagine the crosshair uses the tweaked ALC1220 (Supreme FX 1220) and it will list the DAC, etc.

EDIT: I went to the board's page and there is the info. Not all pages will be like this, but its a good starting point.
ROG's SupremeFX audio technology has levelled up, delivering an exceptional 113dB signal-to-noise ratio on the line-in connection to provide best-ever recording quality. We've also added a low-dropout regulator for cleaner power delivery to the SupremeFX S1220 codec, an ESS® ES9023P digital-to-analog converter for superior front-panel output, and a Texas Instruments® RC4580 op amp for high gain with low distortion