• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Z77 OC Formula Intel LGA 1155

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Like a high-priced premium sports car, the ASRock Z77 OC Formula races to the finish line, equipped with XFast speed. Bred with nothing other in mind than breaking clock limits while retaining full stability, ASRock has enrolled Nick Shih, to help them design one of the best overclocking-centric products.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
OK, Carson Kressley...what have you done with the regular reviewer?
A conclusion banging on about the colour scheme?....really?

Any card with a black PCB/non clashing CPU cooler/black or yellow heatspreader RAM would ( I guess) be an ok match colour wise ? (Hang on, I'll just ask my Feng Shui advisor!)..so that should limit the card to pretty much any high-end offering excepting Gigabyte. At least the MSI Lightning owners now have a suitable board to match the yellow accents on their Lightning and 680 PE cards- add in some Crucial Ballistix RAM and you've got an instant Yinzer build*

Personally, I would have thought the Gigabyte Green/Black boards a tougher colour scheme to match...but I didn't take interior design at school, so I stand to be corrected.

*Get a tard rapist to wear the No.7 jersey while playing CoD for the max effect

Yes, I also have to agree about completely wrong conclusion and that is on several things...

Color scheme matched by very few other parts on the market today.
Ha? which one uses yellow scheme? If that, you can add this pros to almost all boards

Add-on PCIe power plug cannot provide 3.3 V.
I didn't see anywhere you mention this problem, except here. Only GB have it

Also at the 239$ price, this board is really good. It OCs same if not even better then e.g. MVF, GB UP5... For me, I think you were writing conclusion for the old ASRock brand, not the board itself..

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Good read!!

Drew me in all the way through and you wound it up perfectly.
i thought you dished it up quite honestly, without detracting from the boards positive aspects.
i can appreciate that.

Last edited:
System Name "Big E"
Processor I5 2400
Motherboard Intel DQ67OW
Cooling Scythe Samurai ZZ
Memory 4 X 2 Gb Kingmax 1333
Video Card(s) MSI RX470 gaming x 4gb
Storage samsung F3 500 GB
Display(s) Acer S271HLBbid
Case "Big E"
Power Supply Gembird 450 W
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Generic
Software W10 LTSC
Benchmark Scores Nothing worthy to mention
Yeah pretty much what other reviewers said.
I don't understand why you were so excited in this review.

System Name As Himself
Processor 2700X
Motherboard Asrock 370X ThaiChi
Cooling Custom Liquid
Memory 4133MHz Team
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 512 SSD's
Display(s) Asus "24 144Hz
Case Tt P5
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence One Muses/Sparkos
Power Supply EVGA 1200
Mouse RAT ProX
Keyboard Drop CTRL
Software W10 steam futuremark
seems to me, a better clocking cpu would serve you well dave.....

come on intel .....through him a bone

System Name Lenovo Legion 5
Processor AMD® Ryzen™ 7 5800H Processor 8C/16T 3.2 GHz (16M Cache, up to 4.45 GHz) @ 4605MHz (44.5x103.5MHz)
Cooling Dual Fan 3 heatpipes
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 3200MT/s CL18-19-19-43
Video Card(s) NVIDIA® GeForce™ RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6 192-bit 3840 SM TGP 140W @2167MHz max clock
Storage Crucial CT500P3PSSD8 500GB NVMe + SAMSUNG MZALQ512HBLU-00BL2 512GB NVMe
Display(s) 15.6" FHD 165Hz (1920x1080) 16:9 IPS 300nits Anti-glare
Audio Device(s) Nahimic, Logitec G332
Power Supply 300W
Keyboard Backlit
Software Windows 11 Home 64-bit
SATA performances are mixed up. SATA 2 shows SATA3 speeds, and backwards.

Hell, i stabled a 2500K at 5200Mhz on this Mobo with reasonable voltage of 1.42v and temps aswell

cadaveca

My name is Dave
OK, Carson Kressley...what have you done with the regular reviewer?
A conclusion banging on about the colour scheme?....really?

Yeah, i mean..it's yellow. Eww. NO...really. Eww. And then gold caps and gold on the heatsinks? Is it gold..or yellow..or...go l d..o r yel lo ow...it's like a big bee with a gold chain.

Wiz Khalifa:

"Black and Yellow, Black and yellow...."

:wtf:

:shadedshu

I dunno...maybe i'm getting old.:p

Personally, I would have thought the Gigabyte Green/Black boards a tougher colour scheme to match...but I didn't take interior design at school, so I stand to be corrected.

Green = AMD and nVidia. well, OK, AMD is red now, but still...you can buy green fans, green cables, green cases...yellow...well....yeah, there are parts, but they aren't quite so common.

That's my opinion. You're entitled to your own, too. :p

I didn't see anywhere you mention this problem, except here. Only GB have it

Yeah, they do. There seems to eb soem trends towards 3.3 V being needed now, perhaps. Multi-GPU use, in and of itself, is really still in it's infancy, and not widely supported, although I personally feel some may want to say otherwise.

I think from this point here on out, yes, this is an issue, and it's one that I will be raising time and again until all board makers do it right.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Yeah, i mean..it's yellow. Eww. NO...really. Eww. And then gold caps and gold on the heatsinks? Is it gold..or yellow..or...go l d..o r yel lo ow...it's like a big bee with a gold chain.
This is you right?
In any case, I'm not sure exactly how much of the gold (or yellow) you're actually likely to see

From a personal PoV, the only colour I even tend to notice is the shit-brown PCB on budget boards- but only because function tends to follow form in many cases. Given that white chassis seem to be making a comeback, it's a pity that the white PCB motherboard hasn't also returned.
As for the review- all good, but a couple of queries and observations;
Asus continue to go against Intel's Turbo Boost spec by going with a "turbo all cores", do they not- and thus gaining incrementally in benches run at stock config ?
Asus (and Gigabyte) tend to filch on BCLK. ASRock and some other vendors keep to the 100MHz specification. Asus AFAIW implement 100.3 as standard. This, allied with the all-core turbo tends to keep Asus boards at the top of most benchmarks graphs.
Would like to see some indications of board stability (either long term or accelerated system "aging"), NIC performance, third-party (non-chipset) port (SATA etc) performance etc.

Anyhow, cheers for the review.

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Color scheme is always going to be subjective,[green & gold =shocka!!!] what use is a reviewer if they dont tell it how they see it,
then the consumer misses out on an honest opinion, which may affect there perception of a brand or product in the long run ie, they buy it misinformed ,end up not happy, and loose loyalty to a brand because of that, and the company making the product misses out on an honest appraisal and feedback, which may negatively impact how they develop a product over generations, or how they cater to consumers perceived needs, so i believe its vital for a good review to be as honest as possible, so long as its presented with some discretion of course, its a win/win for consumer and product maker,
thats why i said, glad he didnt seem to piss in anyones pocket when i read the piece.

Last edited:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Nice review as always Dave:toast:

I did notice that you used the word "butting":
"I was so eager to get things going, excited by what I saw looking the board over and butting it up for the first time,":roll:

Yeah, they do. There seems to eb soem trends towards 3.3 V being needed now, perhaps. Multi-GPU use, in and of itself, is really still in it's infancy, and not widely supported, although I personally feel some may want to say otherwise.

I think from this point here on out, yes, this is an issue, and it's one that I will be raising time and again until all board makers do it right.

I don't see a reason to mention that on this platform as only one PCI-E x16 is full speed and using 3-Way SLI/CFire would mean a lot of perf lost due to the limits of PCI-E slots, so I don't think there would be many people running 3-Way where you MIGHT be needing 3.3v plug...

I think that you as a reviewer should be objective and not mentioning things you personally like/dislike which have almost nothing to do in reality..

I personally always read TPU reviews and I find them to be the most accurate ones, so don't think I'm some kind of hater.. ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
This is you right?

In any case, I'm not sure exactly how much of the gold (or yellow) you're actually likely to see
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASRock/Z77_OC_Formula/images/install_a_small.jpg

From a personal PoV, the only colour I even tend to notice is the shit-brown PCB on budget boards- but only because function tends to follow form in many cases. Given that white chassis seem to be making a comeback, it's a pity that the white PCB motherboard hasn't also returned.
As for the review- all good, but a couple of queries and observations;
Asus continue to go against Intel's Turbo Boost spec by going with a "turbo all cores", do they not- and thus gaining incrementally in benches run at stock config ?
Asus (and Gigabyte) tend to filch on BCLK. ASRock and some other vendors keep to the 100MHz specification. Asus AFAIW implement 100.3 as standard. This, allied with the all-core turbo tends to keep Asus boards at the top of most benchmarks graphs.
Would like to see some indications of board stability (either long term or accelerated system "aging"), NIC performance, third-party (non-chipset) port (SATA etc) performance etc.

Anyhow, cheers for the review.

As to the turbo things..yes, and I do mention such things when they do. Hence me taking OC benchmarks, and filling them all out with OC clocks...as that's when all things are "even". The true comparison in scores and such should be seen here, but of course, a good third of our readers do not OC, going by a recent poll, so I gotta cover what they will see as well.

As to my colour comments...either all gold..or all yellow..fine. Both? Get the !@#$% out of here. should have taken the gold off of the heatsink, or made all the yellow plastics gold.

See, there's not much that can really seperate a board form another, but color is what first catches the eye. Yes, I purposely installed a bunch of stuff to hide al lthat. :p

I don't see a reason to mention that on this platform as only one PCI-E x16 is full speed and using 3-Way SLI/CFire would mean a lot of perf lost due to the limits of PCI-E slots, so I don't think there would be many people running 3-Way where you MIGHT be needing 3.3v plug...

I think that you as a reviewer should be objective and not mentioning things you personally like/dislike which have almost nothing to do in reality..

I personally always read TPU reviews and I find them to be the most accurate ones, so don't think I'm some kind of hater.. ;)

I need to start somewhere...her eit is. There are 3 full x16 slots, and they market the board as being tri-fire capable. Maybe not many users will use it like that, but then, why have a plug at all, when mayn X79 boards make due without?

It's hipocritical to put one where you never intend it to be used...so why is it there? to add cost? For looks?

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Cool thanks Dave...like what I see and hear from ASRock lately and in fact just ordered their Z77 Mini-ITX today (VT-d support for future purposes was one tipping point).

Yeah color scheme is a bit funky...though, yes, such is definitely subjective. Hey though if you are a Steelers or Bruins or Iowa Hawkeyes fan this is definitely the board for you, man! :p

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
Looks like it might be time to look @ Asrock for a Z77 board.

you really do try harder:laugh: Thanks Dave!! as always great copy

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
Nice write up :)

I also just got this board for my bench rig but yet to test it on ln2 :(

but im running it on the ss with my de lid cpu since it runs better on the ss then my bench chip XD

System Name ChaoticG8R / Lil'G8R
Processor Intel i7-970 / Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X58 / ASUS ROG Impact VII Z97
Cooling Swiftech H220 AIO / Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
Memory Mushkin Enh. Radioactive 3x4GB DDR3 1600 / Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 2133
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 680 4GB / Zotac AMP! GTX 980
Storage 240GB Crucial M500 + RAID1 2x2TB WD BlackCaviar / Raid0 3x256 GB Crucial MX100 + 2TB WD BlackCaviar
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 @ 120hz + 2x Sceptre 20"
Case Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition / Thermaltake Core V1
Power Supply BFG LS1200 1250W / Corsair AX860i 860W
Mouse ROCCAT Kone XTD
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Benchmark Scores Runs daily @ 4.5Ghz; Runs stable @ 4.8Ghz; Max OC on air: 5.0Ghz

Limits of a chipset and imperfect implementation of design are different. Why you are trying to throw the two together doesn't exactly make sense.

Being objective is to be critical without preference. If color is a choice factor that a company utilizes and it's follow through is not ideal (Dave seems to be focusing on the lack of uniformity from the color, not just that the color was "personally" distasteful), why should he refrain from commenting?

I like the review and beyond the gold/yellow mismatching, this totally reminded me of the good ol' DFI Lanparty boards....Ugly as sin but can OC so well! Oh my 4400+, I do miss you so!

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Deneb @ 3.7GHz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9700 CPU Heatsink
Memory OCZ 4GB DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-7-24 1.85v
Video Card(s) ATI Sapphire OC 7850 1200c/5800m @ 64c Full Load
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB + Western Digital 1TB External Drive
Display(s) SAMSUNG ToC T240 24'' LCD
Case Silverstone FT01-BW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply ZALMAN ZM-750
Software Win 7 x64 SP1
dave , between this and the msi mpower, what is the best if overclocking is the main focus , price and other unrelated features aside.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Personally the colour scheme is not bad.
MSI seem to have gone with it as well.
Better than old ASUS mustard yellow or low end-motherboard brown.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
dave , between this and the msi mpower, what is the best if overclocking is the main focus , price and other unrelated features aside.

depends on what ram you are using, IMHO.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I don't think you should end that statement with "IMHO" (IMHO lol). You're the reviewer; isn't such what you actually found as opposed to just think? Of course, I am assuming you also reviewed the MPower....

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I am assuming you also reviewed the MPower....

Well, you see, results can be greatly varied depending on your CPU too. For me, it's all about BIOS ram support. My CPU seems to be pretty good...decent, anyway, so pushing that isn't that hard. However, when it comes time to clocking ram...man, BIOS support is a big thing, and every board has what I like to call a "favorite" kit that it works best with.

Way back when, when DFI was the thing, they had many many boards built with the NForce SLI chipset(Venus, SLI, SLI-DR, etc, etc). The main reason for so many boards was each board was suited to use for a specific type of ram.

So, for me, and my experience, it's all about what ram you are using. For some CPUs, even getting 2400 MHz is hard...or so I hear...but that's not the case for me.

So IMHO applies. Someone start feeding me many CPUs to test with, and I'll come up with a real answer, but until then, I gave the best answer I could. Deal with it. :p

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
I'm on the 1.15g bios I think it us lol