1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Z87 Extreme6/ac (Intel LGA 1150)

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cadaveca, Aug 2, 2013.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    Dave's reviews make me hard. Thanks man, there's some legit stuff there/

3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Aww, my board got "the beatdown." Interested to see what ASRock has to say.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Is it weird the first thing I do is go to the audio page? Not much else get's me interested in a board these days.

5. SimpleTECH

Thanks Received:
    Very strange that it didn't perform that well. My Extreme6 (non-ac) runs great in synethic benchmarks and in games. The only downside I've found with mine is that it doesn't overclock my Samsung RAM past 2200MHz. But on the flipside I can do lower timings than my ECS Z87H3-A2X EXTREME.

6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    honestly im kinda shock you rate this board 7.8, i guess it would get 8 point some at least
    but nice review as usual

7. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Memory read and memory copy performance is weird ... since memory controller is integrated on the CPU :confused:

8. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
    It definitely looks like some kind of problem slipped past QA with the Asrock motherboard.

9. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    The ASM1074 is a USB 3.0 hub, not a controller...

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
  11. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
  12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Gonna go take a read...I almost chose this board before I settled on the Asus Z-87 Pro...

Thanks Dave! :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    ^^^
    [​IMG]

Umm Yea dave NICE review!

ensabrenoir, FireKillerGR and cadaveca say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Actually, it's called a HUB CONTROLLER by ASMedia, so it's both in my books. Common part on many motherboards today.

Sometimes the boards I get from ASRock are early versions that do not have full functionality. I did receive one Intel Z77-based board from ASRock that should have had PCIe 3.0, for example, but rather than using PCIe 3.0 switches, it used PCIe 2.0 switches, so didn't actually have PCIe 3.0. PCIe 2.0 switches were very hard to come by at the time, so I rolled with the punches, so to speak, and that review was also posted with the board "as is".

The issues I encountered could be a bad board, or could be a problem with my stuff. I most definitely had a memory kit die in this board, the kit I use for all board reviews, and that's part of why there haven't been board reviews from me every week in July as I had planned. I also had my basement flood and spent about a week and a half dealing with that.

Board makers are always welcome to comment on my reviews, but unless complete stability is not possible, I do not often comment to board makers directly about the problems I find. If this product wasn't stable, the review would not have been posted, but because it was stable, both under OC and at stock, the only thing I can place the cause of the problems I found on is the BIOS itself. I have tested two other boards since this ASRock board, and did not seem to encounter the same issues, eliminating my hardware as the source of the problem, most likely, but there is still a chance that something is off with my CPU and memory.

When ASRock responds, I'll post an update.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    @ dave: n00b! :roll: :p

:toast:

17. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    Nice review. I think the price of the board doesn't justify the shortcomings. Asrock better reply soon. I initially wanted this board, but now I'm feeling more attracted towards Asus.

18. springs113

Thanks Received:
    why not an msi...they are truly a catch in the rye.

19. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Top notch review, thanks Dave.

The more Z87 reviews I see the more I think that the MSI GD65 is the real deal, that board only lacks a PLX chip and it'd easily be the by far best Z87 board (which already is).

20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Kinda, yeah. MSI has the XPower with PLX, and they really wanted me to review it too, but I refused because I have way too many other boards to cover already sitting here. I think those that want that level of board from MSI will buy anyway, so see it as no big deal.

However. I gotta say, ASUS is currently top for OC right now, but I have yet to try ASRock OC boards, which have definitely got the BIOS attention this board did not. MSI, for easy GAMING goodness, yeah, they are on top of their game for meeting that market directly.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    I agree. And the Z87 GD65 has impressed a LOT of reviewers. But the thing is, I'm kinda addicted to JJ's (you know, 'Mr. Asus' :D ) YouTube videos. Only Asus has that kind of native supporting videos/guides/tutorials and they do this on a VERY active basis for almost all their product lineup. I have searched, but there is nothing remotely close from MSI, Asrock or Gigabyte. Try their Facebook pages as well - they hardly seem to notice. Besides, I think I'm more drawn towards Asus' 5k/10k rated solid capacitors and overall better components etc. MSI is good no doubt, and I am still undecided. The thing is, I have a lot of legacy pci stuff. And I like certain features like dual networking etc. Only the Asrock Z87 Extreme6(/ac) had EVERYTHING I want. But from what I have seen so far, EVERY reviewer seems to have some problem or the other with the Asrock boards. Be it mediocre OC, crappy BIOS, RAM not letting you POST .... The problem with RAM seems more widespread, and not just with the latest chipset. Also, their CPU socket pins have problems too. And from their Facebook page, I see they have VERY crappy after-sales service. All this is making me wanna go for something proven to be reliable and functional. As I said, MSI does look quite good. But let's see. I am in no hurry. Haven't got much money right now.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013