• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey PC System Requirements Revealed Alongside Previews Galore

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
We are less than a month away from when the latest installment of Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed (AC) series comes out. It may have seemed only months ago that Assassin's Creed Origins came out, probably because that is indeed the case, but this has not stopped the hype machine from building up fervor as players get to explore the anticipated ancient Greece era done Ubisoft-style. As with AC Origins, Ubisoft says the PC version of AC Odyssey is not a straight port of the console versions and received a dedicated team at Ubisoft Kiev who worked hand-in-hand with Ubisoft Québec.

This is all great news to us, although memories of AC: Unity still linger around to ensure caution before pre-ordering this. As it stands, Ubisoft says the PC version of AC Odyssey will include exclusive features not found in the console versions, including uncapped framerate toggles and an in-game benchmarking tool. Read past the break for PC system requirements as well as more information based on previews from other media outlets.

The PC requirements are below:

Minimum Requirements
  • OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
  • Processor: AMD FX 6300 @ 3.8 GHz, Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz, Ryzen 3 - 1200
  • Video: AMD Radeon R9 285 (2GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0) or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Resolution: 720p
  • Targeted framerate: 30 FPS
  • Video Preset: Low
  • Storage: 46GB available hard drive space
  • DirectX: DirectX June 2010 Redistributable
  • Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers

Recommended Specification
  • OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
  • Processor: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.5 GHz, Ryzen 5 - 1400
  • Video: AMD Radeon R9 290X (4GB VRAM or more with Shader Model 5.0) or better or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB) - See supported list*
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Video Preset: High

Recommended 4K Configuration
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8 GHz, Intel Core i7 7700 @ 4.2 GHz
  • Video: AMD Vega 64, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0)
  • Memory: 16GB RAM
  • Resolution: 4K
  • Video Preset: High

Supported video cards at time of release: AMD Radeon R9 285/R9 380/RX 460/RX 560 or better, AMD Radeon 200/300/Fury X/400/500 series, Radeon Vega series: RX Vega 56 or better, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660/760/950/1050 or better, GeForce GTX 600/700/900/10-Series series.

With targeted marketing at play, Ubisoft also worked with specific game media outlets to release previews for the game earlier today based on lengthy demo sessions held last week. Polygon, for example, released their preview along with 27 minutes of gameplay footage seen below. Eurogamer, on the other hand, went more spoilery and shared details about the single player campaign (so don't read all of it if you want to remain spoiler-free). As it stands, the gameplay and narrative both seem to be familiar if you have played AC Origins and yet Ubisoft Québec have added in new gameplay elements to help keep things fresh and also faithful to the time period. Assassin's Creed Odyssey comes out on PC (and consoles) October 5, 2018 and we plan to do a detailed PC port test for the game near launch to help make your decision on game purchase.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

It's so depressing to look at the "Sound" entry in 2018... Everything is evolving and we've gone a decade backwards with sound on Windows Vista release and we're still stuck there now. :/

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
It's so depressing to look at the "Sound" entry in 2018... Everything is evolving and we've gone a decade backwards with sound on Windows Vista release and we're still stuck there now. :/

Since all high end sound encoding has gone the HDMI route, PC speakers manufacturers are still way behind the curve, most current onboard or discrete sound cards only support analog out, or toslink out, giving you Dolby digital encoding at best, that's two generations old, compared to what's state of the art in audio encoding, and not even comparable to Dolby TruAudio or DTS-HD.

Things are different if you use a receiver though, and connect it to your PC using HDMI, Win10 has full support for Dolby ATMOS.

The problem is not on the output side but on the audio processing side. We had literal HW accelerated 3D positioning sound that used actual sound tracing with "audio shaders" for environmental audio and they scraped all of it for a software audio which in theory and on paper is just as capable, but in reality, 3D positioning is garbage in most cases and it all just sounds so bland and uninspiring it's driving me nuts. Sometimes I'd actually prefer to have exaggerated EAX 2.0 environmental effects that always did such amazing dramatic effect and which is just gone now. Anyone who played original Half-Life with EAX enabled will understand what I mean when you hit something metal with a crowbar in a large hall or listening to explosions and footsteps on huge open canyon spaces that echoed majestically. It just sounded epic. Now it all sounds like you're walking on a carpet in a living room. It's just all the same, metal, concrete, carpet, eh. Everyone these days is just 24bit this, kilohertz that, Dolby this, DTS that and for games, basically none of that matters. It's 3D positioning and environmental audio that matters and nothing else. And we have none of it, at least not one that would actually sound good anyways.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
Targeted Framerate: 30fps

Come on, this is PC, no respectable PC enthusiast with those cards is targeting 30fps.

The "cinematic" era needs to die. Chromatic aberration, film grain, lens flare/dirt/distortion in 1st person needs to stop. My eyes aren't crappy camera lenses.

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
Since all high end sound encoding has gone the HDMI route, PC speakers manufacturers are still way behind the curve, most current onboard or discrete sound cards only support analog out, or toslink out, giving you Dolby digital encoding at best, that's two generations old, compared to what's state of the art in audio encoding, and not even comparable to Dolby TruAudio or DTS-HD.

Things are different if you use a receiver though, and connect it to your PC using HDMI, Win10 has full support for Dolby ATMOS.

Support for TrueAudio or DTS-HD over HDMI would be pointless for games, and it's already there for movies, in that you can bitstream those sources from a video or BluRay to a receiver already. For video games, there would be no point sending the lossless compressed audio over sending lossless uncompressed audio, AKA PCM 7.1, which HDMI supports. As you said, Atmos already works on PC, and I don't see why DTS:X couldn't be added in the same way.

The sound card is dead because everyone sends audio over HDMI. And the real gap in sound support is sending DTS or DD+ over HDMI from the graphics card, so we can use HDMI ARC from the TV instead of chaining the PC through a receiver. I would be perfectly happy using DTS for my PC surround sound setup, but Nvidia doesn't encode surround sound for HDMI output, it's PCM or bust. I suppose there might be some utility in providing an HDMI-only sound card, but you already have that: just enable the Intel GPU in your BIOS and use that to send audio, or connect another HDMI cable from your GPU to your receiver.

Since audio is all digital now, there's just not much point in having a high end sound card if it's only job is to push data over an HDMI cable.

Aaaaaand basically everyone entirely missed the point of advanced game audio systems... Hint, they have nothing to do with bitrate, frequencies, SNR, decibels, DTS, Dolby, HDMI or any other high flying words and everything to do with accurate 3D audio positioning and simulation of how audio behaves in certain environments (reverberations and echoes mostly).

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
But echo/reverberation doesn't make sense to do on a sound card. If it's on the sound card, it's going to be faked or it's going to require the sound card to have GPU-level processing. They do all that stuff on the GPU now, for a good reason. And Dolby Atmos can already be sent over HDMI, so again, no point in sticking a dumb sound card in the middle of the process if you're just sending audio over HDMI. Positional audio is important, I agree. But most gamers are going to be doing that with headphones for stuff like VR and gaming at a desk. I doubt anyone would set up 9+ speakers around their desk for Atmos...

So what am I missing, RejZoR?

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Don't tell me they have locked the framerate at 30. Because that is way too low number to be "recommended".

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Don't tell me they have locked the framerate at 30. Because that is way too low number to be "recommended".

An unlocked framerate toggle is in the PC version, as mentioned in the second paragraph of the post.

System Name Smooth-Operator
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16@CL14 DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
Storage 2x4TB WD HGST 7K6 7200RPM 256MB
Display(s) Samsung S24E370DL 24" IPS Freesync 75Hz
Case Fractal Design Focus G Window Blue
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe x1
Power Supply Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Ubuntu Budgie amd64
Aaaaaand basically everyone entirely missed the point of advanced game audio systems... Hint, they have nothing to do with bitrate, frequencies, SNR, decibels, DTS, Dolby, HDMI or any other high flying words and everything to do with accurate 3D audio positioning and simulation of how audio behaves in certain environments (reverberations and echoes mostly).
AMD tried something similar some time ago: TrueAudio.

Personally i'm still rocking creative x-fi titanium which has support for EAX 5.0 and audio hardware acceleration unlike most sound cards after x-fi series and some cards in this series including. Since some time i wonder what would i do if my wonderful titanium would fail because of age, what would i replace it with.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
The problem is not on the output side but on the audio processing side. We had literal HW accelerated 3D positioning sound that used actual sound tracing with "audio shaders" for environmental audio and they scraped all of it for a software audio which in theory and on paper is just as capable, but in reality, 3D positioning is garbage in most cases and it all just sounds so bland and uninspiring it's driving me nuts. Sometimes I'd actually prefer to have exaggerated EAX 2.0 environmental effects that always did such amazing dramatic effect and which is just gone now. Anyone who played original Half-Life with EAX enabled will understand what I mean when you hit something metal with a crowbar in a large hall or listening to explosions and footsteps on huge open canyon spaces that echoed majestically. It just sounded epic. Now it all sounds like you're walking on a carpet in a living room. It's just all the same, metal, concrete, carpet, eh. Everyone these days is just 24bit this, kilohertz that, Dolby this, DTS that and for games, basically none of that matters. It's 3D positioning and environmental audio that matters and nothing else. And we have none of it, at least not one that would actually sound good anyways.

3D sound positioning is alive and well, I have perfect 3D positioning when playing on my PC in the living room, just like I do when I play with my other system with discrete sound cards connected to surround systems via toslink or regular 3.5mm jacks, the only difference is one set of speakers will use an analog signal, another set uses toslink for Dolby digital and the PC in my living room uses HDMI.

BTW, the ATMOS 3D positioning sound is much better than what I get from the discrete sound cards in the other systems, both in fidelity and actual surround location of sound.

Even if a game doesn't natively support Dolby ATMOS, the decoder will convert the surround sound to a format a receiver can use in a 3D sound environment.

I would be perfectly happy using DTS for my PC surround sound setup, but Nvidia doesn't encode surround sound for HDMI output, it's PCM or bust.

The Nvidia card in my living room PC encodes Dolby and DTS perfectly over HDMI, no need to use PCM, the receiver shows it's decoding the right encoded signal over HDMI without problem.

Maybe you need to change the setting for your system's sound encoder for it to work properly.

Ubi$h!t... dunno what to be mad about more...
the fact that AAA games in 30 years "progress" from 120hz native CRT to 23FPS "cinematic"
or the fact that they will still run on 286 CPU, if you strip the 16 threads of DRM... :/

But echo/reverberation doesn't make sense to do on a sound card. If it's on the sound card, it's going to be faked or it's going to require the sound card to have GPU-level processing. They do all that stuff on the GPU now, for a good reason. And Dolby Atmos can already be sent over HDMI, so again, no point in sticking a dumb sound card in the middle of the process if you're just sending audio over HDMI. Positional audio is important, I agree. But most gamers are going to be doing that with headphones for stuff like VR and gaming at a desk. I doubt anyone would set up 9+ speakers around their desk for Atmos...

So what am I missing, RejZoR?

Missing the fact that yeah, we had proper HW accelerated audio like 2 decades ago. And at around the same time, we also had superb 3D positional audio on stereo speakers or headphones (A3D). Even if they are doing anything on GPU's, we are currently around year 1997 in terms of audio because a) none of it is really standardized b) none of it is really being mass used in games like EAX (this wasn't just reverbs for all the deniers) and A3D were...

System Name THU
Processor Intel Core i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (dual rank)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 3X OC 12 GB GDDR6X (2610/21000 @ 0.91 V)
Storage Lexar NM790 2 TB + Corsair MP510 960 GB + PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB + Toshiba E300 3 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C8 55" + ASUS VP229Q
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V381 + Monitor Audio Bronze 6 + Bronze FX | FiiO E10K-TC + Sony MDR-7506
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech M705 Marathon
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks in 2024?
Why would 4K need a beefier CPU? The CPU has no impact on the resolution, only the framerate.

D

Deleted member 177333

Why would 4K need a beefier CPU? The CPU has no impact on the resolution, only the framerate.

The part I find hilarious is the targeted 30fps framerate. Might as well say targeted: unplayable.
Those "system requirements" are completely worthless to me since they don't state what's required to actually play the game at a playable framerate. Typical Ubisoft... Looks like another AC game I may need to pass on.